• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Fighting Peach:

Spam Bair. Lose anyway

:064:

Get your hits in first or after hers otherwise she'll just beat you out. Don't tackle her Bair head on cause it'll beat out your aerials provided she releases her Float into you/or 2nd jumps into you. Peach can Bair camp which is something I never bothered trying until a while ago lol

Roll away from Dair, Sonic doesn't have any OoS options to tackle it or a Nair follow up. His grab range is pretty poor too so only shield grab her if she's really in range when (or rather if) she drops for a Nair

I've been trying this match up from Sonic's side and I don't think I fully realised how gay this match up is. I tried Uairing her and it constantly kept getting beat out by Fair/Bair or Dair pokes when she was trying to land
:/
If you're having trouble, get the lead and keep it and time her out lol

Anyway I was hoping for some DeDeDe/Falco advice. DeDeDe's Bair/Grab seems to just shut me down and don't get me started on Falco lol. How on earth are you supposed to win against him? :(

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Fighting Peach:

Spam Bair. Lose anyway

:064:

Get your hits in first or after hers otherwise she'll just beat you out. Don't tackle her Bair head on cause it'll beat out your aerials provided she releases her Float into you/or 2nd jumps into you. Peach can Bair camp which is something I never bothered trying until a while ago lol

Roll away from Dair, Sonic doesn't have any OoS options to tackle it or a Nair follow up. His grab range is pretty poor too so only shield grab her if she's really in range when (or rather if) she drops for a Nair

I've been trying this match up from Sonic's side and I don't think I fully realised how gay this match up is. I tried Uairing her and it constantly kept getting beat out by Fair/Bair or Dair pokes when she was trying to land
:/
If you're having trouble, get the lead and keep it and time her out lol

Anyway I was hoping for some DeDeDe/Falco advice. DeDeDe's Bair/Grab seems to just shut me down and don't get me started on Falco lol. How on earth are you supposed to win against him? :(
Eh, Peach is so-so. Like she's hard in the same sense Lucario is hard, but you can deal with her with ample practice. Falco is a lost cause imho. Also, you're going into the D3 MU the wrong way if you're flat out getting shut down by Bair and Grabs.

Trent

Smash Champion
I still have troubles with Falco. If Falco plays extremely gay against you, there's not much you can do.

Dedede isn't that tough imo.

I practice against him constantly though, so I know that match up. Most important factor is to just be patient. Once you get that % lead, chill near an edge and wait for him to approach + projectile / punish. Bait / Punish. Etc.

Don't charge into the penguin unless you see an opening. If you chill near the edge, the CG will do only 8% fresh, instead of like 35% from the middle of the stage. Don't go throwing aerials in front of him either, a D3 conditioned to fight Sonic WILL shieldgrab you out of a SH Fair (Happens to me all the time).

Screw De3's edge guard game. If it wasn't for his edge guard game this would be 50-50 or even in Sonic's favor. But alas, once you're off the edge, it's a ***** to get back on without getting a Bair to the face.
Hope that helps any.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You can't really punish Peach's Dair on shield or her Fair (i think its a -2 advantage with a frame 2 jab), but if you can read what she will try next, you can beat it. Dair as slow startup (frame 12) and if peach's like to double dair your shield, you can still oos during the startup of the 2nd dair.

Unlike most other item matchups (diddy, zss, snake), most turnips don't actually beat peach's moveset at all.

As far as gimping peach, a well timed edgehog on her peach bomber (over B) or her Up B will put you in the perfect position to ledgedrop a fair/nair to stagespike her (just like luigi and pika). Her vertical recovery is bad and if you DO stagespike her, she won't make it back past 70%. First you have to deal with her recovering high with float/bomber.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... Most good Peaches though are either going to space their Dair, or not do double-dair since that stopped working on people forever ago.

I'm telling you people, the key to this MU is not try to counterattack OoS, but legit counterattack.

It is kind of dumb that with most float attacks, she can just drop down and jab any attempts at dash attack or dash-grab or anything from that position. You're much better off just playing that spacing game with your Bair.

... Except...

Rick, how is it that Sonic is going to trade with or outright lose when using aerials against her? I'd understand a bit if it were Fair (except that move is laggy in both start-up and ending (moreso start-up), but the range is pretty good, yes), but Bair?

AFAIK, that move doesn't have any disjoint. At least not any that will/should keep Sonic out.

...I've been trying to think whether or not the horizontal range of Sonic's Bair goes past his foot. I know it's range is pretty good, but I'm not sure where it is. It's mostly instinct with me, but regardless.

And that's just a frontal approach. Peach may have some pretty good mobility and speed from a float, but I don't think it's anything a Spinshot can't cover in that time. From there IMO it's just a matter of not getting swatted out by her Uair. In that case, probably either abort with Spring to reset the situation, or if you're feeling real ballsy you can use Dair's stall-then-fall properties and... It's something I guess.

Hmm~... There don't seem to be any Peaches on the WC as of late. They're all in the Midwest or in Florida IIRC. I'd like to play this matchup more just to see where things stand, but just looking at the two characters, it's obvious Peach has an advantage, but Id' still fight her any day of the week over some of the more difficult matchups... :/

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Do you still need help with this matchup?

What in particular is giving you trouble with her? Is it her float? Edgeguarding her? Turnips? Ground attacks? How to approach her? What's the lay-down?
Sorry I didn't reply to this yesterday, I did homework all day :ohwell: but yeah her dair is what's giving me a lot of problems. Peaches always slap me if I make a mistake close to her. I usually don't have a problem with turnips unless I'm really just zoning out during a match. Her nair can make me really mad sometimes just because of how fast they come out. I can't really kill peach easy either since if I don't space my bairs correctly then I get naired. Her floating to dair just scares me now because of some failed upb to uair attempts (lol) so yeah, and thanks to all of those who gave some advice on the matchup.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hey, school comes first, understandable.

Although I don't think there's anything left for us to say. Me, along with some other people, have given some tips and some ideas to cut out those bad habits against this matchup.

Just take a look at your own convenience, and if there's anything that's still bugging you, just say and we'll get back to ya (hopefully).

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
ok I'll will, thanks again. Oh and Rickerdy, I can give some advice on the falco matchup. First of all what I like to do is do dtilt a little bit then ftilt or if the dtilt pops them up then I'll utilt. I think that falco can hit the ground and shield pretty fast if you mess up your dtilt so I like to finish the chain quickly. Uthrow to uair or utilt works nicely try to read if they're going to air dodge the uair and then just grab when they land and repeat. I wouldn't go too spin crazy in this matchup because of the lasers, but isdr goes straight through lasers. Also what happens to me sometimes is I sdr towards the falco and then I get daired out of it, but a jump should keep you from getting hit by follow ups. I'm not too sure about that though. Instant ledge grab should work good if the falco likes to sideb to ledge, otherwise predict their landing or time an fsmash to knock them away again. What I LOVE to do (to anyone really) is run off-stage when they're off stage with no jumps left and bair stage spike them. It's really fun but it's effective when they need to upb. Unfortunately, I usually don't see falcos in this position and it's probably instinct to edgehog instead. Well for other people lol

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Okay just a suggestion.

We get this a little more organized and we have new rediscussions and we come to a finalized decision on what stages to ban against certain characters, what tactics to use, what to look out for, etc. A lot of the discussions in this thread are outdated lol...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I can't really tell the difference between the 50:50 and 45:55 colours on the match-up chart xD a chart with numbers on would be more to the point. I made one on my laptop but it died :/

Most of the discussions are outdated lol. I'd start again from the start really, not changing all that much, but taking bits out that aren't really relevant to the metagame anymore and adding additional stuff.

I like the idea of talking about problem moves as well, kind've like the Ganon boards have done on their board in a seperate thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288397

[/shameless idea stealing]

:093:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I’ve come the conclusion that the write ups will never be completed. We’ve also discussed every character like 10 times now. We can come up with new ratios, but that's not really important. This thread working as a ‘Help me with the _____ match up’ or a ‘Let’s talk about the _____ match up ‘ type of thread is cool though.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I volunteer to do new write ups if we go with this idea. After all, like ROOOOOY said they are almost all outdated and it would help to get some new and different ideas from the new people on the boards. IMO.

and stages would be a new topic too.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
You’re going to need more than a few people. I’m not convinced that starting all over will solve anything because as current tread suggests it’ll just run out of steam half way and we’ll be back at the start again.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Okay well,

I propose doing a couple at a time. Maybe we should start with the worst MUs and work our way down to the easiest MUs?

Like I said, I could start the first one or two, and then we'll see if people still contribute like they used to. If not then I'll harass them get them motivated somehow :laugh:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Well I'd help out too. It's not like many match-ups need things added to them, there are plenty that are complete, I'd just start from the first incomplete write-up (Samus) and work from there. I don't really have much experience against Samus though...

...so umm...Samus sucks lol. 95:5 at least.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yo trent, can you give anymore detail on the ddd matchup, like situational stuff and what to do when instead of just general strategy type stuff?

Trent

Smash Champion
I could try later tonight, I'm about to leave the house though.

I've never been really good at typing out my ideas though, I just kinda act on instinct while obeying the general strategy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
do your best. I really REALLY dont want to lose to TUSM. and i kinda feel bad if i have to fall back to a one sided matchup (falco vs d3) when the matchup im playing (sonic vs d3) is already even.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
...so umm...Samus sucks lol. 95:5 at least.

I wouldnt underestimate any character. Not even Ganon. But -dead- @ 95:5

I could try later tonight, I'm about to leave the house though.

I've never been really good at typing out my ideas though, I just kinda act on instinct while obeying the general strategy.
psh, you know alot about the D3 mu. Just give him the same tips you gave me when i was fighting atomsk.

do your best. I really REALLY dont want to lose to TUSM. and i kinda feel bad if i have to fall back to a one sided matchup (falco vs d3) when the matchup im playing (sonic vs d3) is already even.
KID, just be you lool.
Trent'll give you good tips.
lolwutsonicvsd3iseven?nowai

Trent

Smash Champion
Let's see.. D3..

That's a character you should never approach unless you KNOW there's an opening, or you're really good at feinting. SHFAir wrecks their shield, however they can grab you out of it if they time it right. For the love of god don't get greedy, don't fish for those kills. Just rack up damage and let the kill come naturally, don't expect to kill until 180+, unless you KNOW there's an opening.

Camp camp camp. Get that lead, and camp. Chill around the edge of the stage, so if you **** up and get grabbed, it's only one or two throws. If you're thrown off the edge, get back on ASAP, D3's edge guard game is ********. You're going to have to mix up your recoveries (Such as ASC -> Double Jump). Don't just blindly go for the edge. Take the extra damage if you have too, it's better than losing a stock.

D3 is such a basic character, just like Ice Climbers. All they want is grab. Bait the grab and punish, very simple. If they EVER try to pummel you in grab, you can break out of that easily due to his slow pummel. When you get to about 120%+, start looking out for those UTilts. Never approach him from above, or stay on a platform above him. If you find yourself in a nasty situation on a platform above him holding your shield, just jump. All you have to do, OoS Jump, lol.

Sometimes they like to mix in dash attack while they're chaingrabbing for people who are trying to break out, and catch them off guard. Easily avoidable with shield grab if you see it coming.

DON'T GET PREDICTABLE

Punish him whenever he throws a minion. There is so much lag on it, you can at least punish with a dash attack or SHFAir. Careful of Waddle Doos, I've seen some nasty Waddle Doo -> UAir combos from their electric attack if they're good. If they try to use swallow just spinshot -> BAir that crap. Rocket Hammer is laughable.

FSmash and the very tip of BAir (Perfectly spaced) will push a shielding D3 far enough away that you will not get grabbed. However, I've been grabbed a couple of times before my FSmash and BAir even went off, and if they perfect shield the hit, they get a free grab. Try at your own risk.

All I can think of right now, go ahead and ask any questions if you need answers. Just remember, there is NEVER a reason for you to approach if you're winning. Only approach if you see an opening, and be CAREFUL of getting baited to approach.

EDIT- Changed a couple typos (UAir -> UTilt), added in a bit about shields.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
At the top of your screen there is a "search" feature. If you type in a word (people use their names here) it finds posts where that word was used. So people use it to search for themselves to see when people are talking about them behind their back.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
there are very few ddds to fight around here. honestly, if anybody in my area does well outside the region aside from san (he was super big on wifi for a while), its probably because they got matchup practice from me, I play like 25 of the 38 characters, and everyone else I play with plays like 4 at most.

@ trent, you said up air at 120, I assume you meant up tilt.
other than that, thank you very much, and I think that should be linked to in the OP.
lastly, can I ever land with a bair on his shield and push him far enough away to not get grabbed?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
lastly, can I ever land with a bair on his shield and push him far enough away to not get grabbed?
If it wasn't already obvious, if you hit him with his back facing you, it's less punishable...

Otherwise, I can't say. I wouldn't risk it myself honestly.

Trent

Smash Champion

@ trent, you said up air at 120, I assume you meant up tilt.
other than that, thank you very much, and I think that should be linked to in the OP.
Yep sorry, mistype. Meant UTilt.

I know for a fact an FSmash will push them far enough away. BAir will if you hit with the VERY tip and space perfectly. However, I've been grabbed a couple of times before either hit landed. If they can powershield it, you're grabbed, and we all know how easy power shielding is compared to melee. :awesome:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Goodness.

That was a year ago.

More likely than not, it was a joke...

...and if I am to remember what context that post had, if any at all, it was probably talking about a Sonic mirror match; and if that is the case, then there's no counterpick. Not back then, and certainly not now where there is more knowledge, and the skill level of every Sonic as ascended to such a point that it matters not (at least it shouldn't).

Not only is Sonic flexible on every stage, but it's a mirror match. What could one Sonic possibly abuse that the other couldn't? Player habits? That sort of thing is not bound to the character and for that it has no relevance on the mirror matchup.

... How does one begin to make a write-up for this matchup?

I may as well take a shot at it, using the old format...

Chis, get ready to put a new entry. It's time that this thread finally get updated with something, and it may as well be with a contribution I can make now that there's only so much I can do with a local community that's died off (At least I plan to resurrect it in the (soon?) future).

I'm going to slightly change the format though, I think it works better for the guideline I am working with. Bare with me, and criticism for this write-up is certainly welcomed amongst the veterans and hard-thinkers alike.

=========================================================

Sonic:

Introduction: The Sonic ditto/mirror matchup. No matter what you call it, it's probably the most difficult, if not awkward matchup you may ever play in your competitive career.

Why? In essence, your opponent is you. He has the same tools; which means the same strengths, the same weaknesses, the same possibilities, and the same... Well, you get the point. Everything you can do, your opponent can do, and perhaps better. Or worse.

In theory, this matchup is suppose to be dead-even. In reality, there's no way to accurately calculate the effort you'll have to put in to get a win in this kind of battle.

Behavior: Out of all the possible combinations you could mix and match in Brawl, there's just no way to look at this particular match from a completely objective view and be able to draw any rational conclusion.

The only thing that separates you and your opponent is the playstyle. If you want to know how to counter a playstyle, you may as well look at a Sonic guide that talks about such different ways that the character programmed into this game can be played.

And then toss that mindset out the window.

Sonic is a character that lives off punishment, all the while staying uncommitted to his approaches. That's the general gist of this character, and that alone allows Sonic (the character) to be played in a multitude of ways. Amongst different Sonics (the players), playstyles will vary from the most conserved; playing by the book, to the most radical; objective analysis is null with them.

Neither of the extreme playstyles can be predicted though, despite the implication given by the former. A sonic who plays by the book is bound to do everything and anything 100% right and leave you will very little options due to the opponent playing absolutely safe. On the other hand, somebody who tends to experiment more with the abstract varieties will reap more rewards from their actions; and while the risks are still minimal, they're worth it.

A perfect hybrid mix of the two is probably the mark of the best Sonic player on this Earth. Neither extreme cannot in theory; or practice, succeed due to the not-so-obvious, but still just-as-gashing flaws in their gameplay.

Anybody that is well-versed with this character reading this will understand that Sonic as a character wasn't granted the luxury of some other characters to have any one good obvious option to abuse at any one given time, and will realize that there is only so much Sonic can do on his own before the player controlling the character will have to outperform the opponent in order to claim victory. However, Sonic was given enough that a player willing to put the effort into it can, and will come out on top of every hurdle thrown their way.

How does one face an opponent who has the same undying determination to go through with playing a mirror matchup knowing that such an opposing mindset cannot easily be dwindled?

How to Win: That question every player asks themselves time and time again, but especially now the answer becomes so blurred that only through enough experimentation and trial & error can a conclusion be drawn.

This becomes not a place or time to think about how the characters are paired, but rather, conflicting playstyles of the opponents behind the characters. It is ultimately up to you to know Sonic's options beforehand, adapt to the stimuli your opponent gives you, and answer accordingly.

A perfect mirror watch would always end in a stalemate or a tie. Both "perfect" Sonics would acknowledge that committing the first act may put them at the disadvantage, and would thus respect each others' options and never approach.

This is not to be confused with high or top level play between two persons who are skilled with the one character. To some degree, the matches will take a long time, but this is where the theorycrafting stops.

Humans are flawed, and make mistakes. This is where the battle starts to take course, and it is from the point mistakes are made that a victor shall be decided.

Not always is the aggressor at a disadvantage. For other matchups this would apply moreso, or not at all; but in a mirror match, both players will know the best way to approach their character and as the match continues to drag out, figure out ways to approach their rival.

It truly is a battle of wits.

Commonly used moves: Sonic as a character has moves with uses at certain given times. Some options will become more apparent than others at times. As a note, he always has an answer to your response. It becomes emphasized in this matchup being that everything becomes a risk; even doing nothing.

The following is to be used as a rough guideline. Nothing here can be taken literally and be applied with great success. At the same time though, it might just give you the edge you need over your opponent, it all depends on who it is. You are expected to have an idea of which of Sonic's moves are used when, how, where, and why. You are also expecting your opponent to know/expect this too, and as a match is played out, expectations are set lower an and lower until a winner is decided.

Bair - Sonic's most versatile aerial attack. It kills, it walls, it pressures, it racks up damage, and in certain situations sets up for combos/strings. There isn't much that can be done about this attack if used properly.

Uair - Another formidable aerial. Any non-equipped attacks cannot answer to the range + agility that this attack possesses. Set-ups for strings with the first hit and if the second hit doesn't come out or connect. Virtually no cooldown lag from a short-hop, minor cooldown lag otherwise, and only minor landing lag. Mistiming can lead into minimal to heavy punishment.

Fair - The last aerial that you should be consciously aware of. It comes out fast, can slip in through shields and poke; especially on platforms, and manages to rack up some okay damage. Getting the heavy landing lag can lead to considerable punishment, can be SDI'd out of for quick aerial punishment, and most of the time will not rack up anymore than 8% even though it is capable to get 14% damage fresh; all the while stile having some cooldown lag even without receiving the previous-mentioned heavy landing lag.

Spin Dash - Sonic's "defensive" special attack. It has invincibility upon release, and can be used to counterattack. Can be jump-canceled with a double jump or go into VSDJ from its grounded charge. On hit, poorly set-ups up into combo attacks. Takes a fairly long time to charge, very weak regardless of charge, and the Spindash roll takes a while to come out and a low charge will have this move both roll out slowly and deal even lower damage.

Spin Charge - Sonic's "offensive" special attack. The aerial version possess a unique multi-hit property and works very well for racking up damage, setting up combos, and at higher percents/no decay, kills. Can be shield-canceled upon landing and double-jump canceled, and on block has a couple of ways to make this move avoid punishment assuming the opponent guesses wrong. Low range keeps this move mainly as an attack used to punish, even though more often than not it's used as an approach.

Spring Jump - Comes with more than just a spring coil. Equipped with a lot of gimmicks, there are a lot of things to mention about this one move alone. Used to complicate predicting of landing, guarantee recovery, meddle with the opponents' head, and to make Sonic just slightly harder to punish on his way down back to the ground. Can be used anytime Sonic is in the air and isn't in his Spring-Jump animation (that means it can be used as a follow-up from Spindash Jump and because the opponent usually doesn't expect a Spring, the spring coil projectile hits a lot of opponents after the first attack gets blocked/shielded). Improperly used can lead into devastating punishment, if not self-destructs.

DTilt - Quick attack on the ground meant to be used for a variety of things but loses utility as the opponent gets higher up in damage. Sets up into combos/chains, used as a quick counterattack, and can somewhat keep a shielding opponent pressured. Improperly spaced on block lead into punishment; whiffs moreso.

FTilt - Yet another quick attack on the ground meant to serve specific purposes at certain moments. Does 11% fresh if both the torso and leg hits connect, Sonic's safest + fastest ground attack, and with reasonable cooldown. Not enough to avoid quick, long-ranging punishment however.

Dash attack - A far-reaching, fairly quick attack that will occasionally set-up into strings/follow-ups, camp landings, and occasionally sneak in places. Fairly unsafe on block (unless it hits immediately as the first hitbox comes out and hits the back of the opponents shield(in most cases)), and at low percents usually leads into being punished.

Not-so Commonly used moves:

Homing Attack - Only guaranteed good as a way to stall recovery and give Sonic an extra vertical/horizontal boost in recovery. Serves as a very situational mix-up and does 8% on hit fresh. The start-up on this lag is too much for it to be used from a combo string; but that's why it's "situational." It works on opponent who aren't expecting it, and usually don't because they know that this move is bad and it shouldn't be used for much of anything. The cooldown is equally abysmal and makes this move a high risk, medium reward (if even that) type of move.

UTilt - The anti-aerial. Comes out before a normal human can react to it, does 14% fresh if all hits connect, can be used to pressure/poke opponents on platforms, and serves as a back-up/desperation killer. Unfortunately, it lacks horizontal range, has a hefty amount of cooldown, and must be used sparingly.

FSmash - Sonic's strongest kill move in terms of knockback. Comes out somewhat slowly and the cooldown is something to scoff at (for them). 14% damage uncharged fresh, 20% charged fresh. Mainly used (correctly) as a punisher, and less often properly used to punish a predicted action. High risk, high reward. "Deceptive" range, with deceptive being a loose term thrown in. Unsafe on block.

DSmash - Second strongest kill move in Sonic's arsenal. Equally as slow to come out as forward smash, this move posses more utility at a slight price of the degree of "presence" its utility has. Used to punish a landing, has hitboxes that stay out for a relatively long time, and is for the most part safe due to the low cooldown on the last part of the hitboxes, and has nice shield pushback/shieldstun from the first parts. A quick, long-reaching attack can be used to counterattack from block with some success. Nothing too bad about this attack when used correctly.

USmash - A sparingly used move meant to challenge/respond to aerial approaches upon release with its one(?) invincibility frame and disjointed hitbox that encases Sonic. May be used to rack up damage, but if the move whiffs it leads into heavy punishment, and if blocked is not that much better off. Pressures a shielding opponent on a platform, if not shieldpokes them. Can be used to camp landing situationally thanks to Sonic's blend of movement speed and traction. Mediocre damage even if all hits connect, and charged.

Dair - A quick way for Sonic to get somewhere below him. Does 6% fresh, has a hitbox around his foot, and possess a stall-then-fall property that can be used every now and then to throw off an opponent that intended to punish Sonic's "proposed" landing site. Can lead to somewhat heavy punishment if predicted, and getting the heavy cooldown lag with this attack makes it even moreso unsafe to use with an opponent nearby. The attack is usually used with a different intention aside from direct attack and is mainly used to keep the opponent guessing with him in the air.

Nair -A quick but low-ranged attack with a considerable amount of animation frames. Racks up 11% damage fresh and if the first hitbox connects. Can be used to set-up strings, and sometimes used as a finisher from a combo/string. Can kill if fresh and the opponent is at a high percent. Reasonable landing lag. Average move.

Ledge get-up >100% - Two hit attack that sometimes pokes opponents/shields waiting for you at the edge of the stage with invincibility. If blocked however, the resulting punishment afterwards becomes especially hard-hitting due to the stage boundary closely behind you. Use with extreme caution. It may be worth noting that the first hitbox has an unusual property with the angle it sends the opponent at; which in most cases is towards Sonic so that it leads into the second hit; when the second hit doesn't connect strange things happen.

Ledge get-up <100% - Nothing too special. Comes out fast with invincibility, and does slightly below-average damage. Not safe on block. High risk, low-medium reward.

Recommended stages: Go wherever you are more comfortable on, or the stage your opponent plays worse on. It's a mirror matchup, anything about a stage you pick, your opponent can abuse the same things too. Any stage hazard that isn't there, neither of you can take advantage of, or be taken advantage of.

Matchup verdict: gdjgnzuhuipznhurzhnurhnu0hurpheryje

That's the only thing that will be on your mind after this. You were probably already insane before, but after this, you will be.

=========================================================

Yep. Definitely looking forward to any criticism from other people. I also specifically left out some information like Sonic being cypher-gimped because I am assuming high-top level play in my write-up, which as we all know it rarely, if never has the opportunity present itself. I'm also real skeptical of my write-ups for specific attacks, and how to counter them from there. I'd really like some input on how I could make it better, and without any input I have to assume I did a goodjob/the best possible job that could be done.

The matchup verdict I left as is because once again I've been working at this for a bit and after some time there's just really no way for me to have sum it up in a short manner. Anybody who can help is highly encouraged to tell me how to fix it/put a more proper closing in. Try to avoid more gibberish/spam though, it's already obvious it's quite difficult, no need for "confirmation" posts.

I'd also really appreciate it if anybody can tell me anything I left out/should add into the guide. Many thanks for reading! I really hope this helps out anybody that (still?) plans on playing this matchup out. I am a bit sad to see how so many from this community despise this matchup, but I suppose I can see where they are coming from.

I personally love it, being able to see what different things I can learn from, and the pursuit of knowledge is worth it to me in the end, no matter the procedure it's acquired from.

Also, while I'm not forcing anybody to play a certain way, I encourage more of you to try to go through with this. Yes, I know it's boring; yes, I know it's hard, but then again, so is Sonic. and this is just one more matchup. You may have trouble with Meta Knight, Lucario, Olimar, Pikachu, Snake, Marth, whoever.

Okay, I think I'm done with the motivational speech. I don't know how else to put it, or how to put it better. Do work, get work done, you're all doing a great job, you got this, I still think we have a ways to go but regardless, yada yada yada. Moar Sawnik dittoz dammit!

Trillion

Smash Ace
...Goodness.

That was a year ago.

More likely than not, it was a joke...
I figured it likely was, but it would be a great typo if it was an accident. From now on when I see winning steak against Metaknight, that person's Meta will be instead referred to as MeatKnight.

Good job on the write up. I like that you stressed the variation that Sonic is capable of because its truly important to understand that your expectations should never solidify into "he will do this" because we have enough options that it's not a safe assumption for most aspects of the match up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you should be a writer. as little as you talk in person, you appear to love typing things in a very long and drawn out manner.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Homing Attack - Only guaranteed good as a way to stall recovery and give Sonic an extra vertical/horizontal boost in recovery. Serves as a very situational mix-up and does 8% on hit fresh. The start-up on this lag is too much for it to be used from a combo string; but that's why it's "situational." It works on opponent who aren't expecting it, and usually don't because they know that this move is bad and it shouldn't be used for much of anything.

The cooldown is equally abysmal and makes this move a high risk, medium reward (if even that) type of move.
Unless you're Speed.

Top Bottom