• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
you should be a writer. as little as you talk in person, you appear to love typing things in a very long and drawn out manner.
It's all about them life skills.

Also, I find it easier to talk behind a monitor. Anything I say won't get me immediately beat up unless the guy happens to find my address and wants to kill me at a later date or something, so~... Regardless.

Apparently I'm better at drawing than I originally perceived. None of my work may be original (I mostly just copypasta images from the internet, but they're not complete traces. You would know if you saw them... They're still kind of off for an amateur. =_=).

Wonder what else I can do. My English is pretty good (when I'm not Instant-messaging...), I've wanted to learn how to cook, and college is just around the corner for me...

Anyway, I think something in my write-ups is that I really do take too long to cut to the chase. Perhaps for storytelling my writing style may work, but I'm not sure if it will suffice in this kind of situation. You got any ideas on how to shorten my write-ups, or improve it in another aspect Goggles?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Sonic dittos...oh yes. I love this MU like crazy. Kinza did a pretty good write up. But utilt is sooo good. loool HA. I would save it for a last ditch effort. :D

But i just play off of reads and quick reaction time in the ditto. I look for any openings i can find...basically im just analyzing and reacting.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But i just play off of reads and quick reaction time in the ditto. I look for any openings i can find...basically im just analyzing and reacting.
HEY!
That's exactly what you're supposed to do for EVERY MATCH UP.
Fancy that.

Maybe you should actually let spill some of those details if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Falco is duuuuummmmb

translation: he's like impossible to beat and I'm salty cause I can't beat him with Sonic =(

I play a Falco regularly and I've played quite a few on wifi.

- Don't let him get too far away or you have to deal with gay lasers. Stay close enough that he won't try to use them. If you he does, then approach while power shielding.
- Watch for the illusion resets. If you can predict them, then you can punish them.
- Sonic's bair out reaches his aerials almost every time, so abuse that.
- Spring out of chain grabs (sure you know that by now).
- IMO, you should try to gimp him. Fair out prioritizes the illusion and hits falco out of it if you can time it correctly. If he falls off too close to the stage (grab released at the ledge for example), then try for the walk off fast fall bair for a stage spike.
- IMO, his options for killing Sonic are few. His dair spike won't work very easily against our recovery, his up smash (uncharged) doesn't kill until about 125%ish? His fsmash has huge start up lag (about as bad as ours), but can kill earlier than upsmash. Down smash has small reach, but can kill. Bair is possibly his best kill move.
- Keep up the flow of the match and keep pressure on Falco because he just plain can't handle it.

CP: Frigate (illusion can't snap to a ledge on the right side and if it's too close he can miss that platform and fall through, when the stage flips he could get stuck much more easily than us and it could put him in a position to be stage spiked, gimped, or ledge hogged for easy kills, small main platform limits length of chain grabs) Lylat (the curve of the stage makes laser hard to hit with and is easier to gimp, the tilt of the stage can also cause his recoveries to miss).

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
HEY!
That's exactly what you're supposed to do for EVERY MATCH UP.
Fancy that.

Maybe you should actually let spill some of those details if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it.
Well true but...in other mu's dont you have to...well, think of it in a different way? Maybe you uh...dang it i got nothin. Its just the one MU i enjoy alot.

what details? I just play that mu but...i actually enjoy seeing the strategies being used so i can see what i can do to either beat it or put them in a situation where they are disadvantaged. I find standing still fun...:awesome:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well true but...in other mu's dont you have to...well, think of it in a different way? Maybe you uh...dang it i got nothin. Its just the one MU i enjoy alot.
How about this then?

In certain matchups, there's a higher demand for conscious playing moreso than others.

Can you honestly tell me that you don't autopilot in some matchups?

Autopiloting is a way to conserve energy most of the time. A lot of the times however, autopiloting will lead to losing, but that's another topic for another time. In this case, Sonic doesn't really need to think since his opponents are either really one dimensional or mechanical. The best examples I can think of are R.O.B., G&W, Ganon, and a couple of other linear characters, or characters without much diversity. Of course, they aren't to be taken lightly either, since letting your guard down can be bad too, but it's certainly easier on your psyche to play some characters compared to others.

Trillion

Smash Ace
@MM: You can't spring out of his chaingrab if he does it properly.

Right. I meant so that you could escape at the earliest possible time in the event that the Falco player isn't experienced enough in the match up to know when to finish it as well as that you might as well just keep pushing it in case he does mess up the timing for some reason.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... Donkey Kong I could give you, but a good Ike is the most even matchup you'll find that isn't the Sonic mirror matchup.

Ike has the power you wish you had, you have the speed he wish he had. One wrong move on your part and you're dead. Multiple msitakes on his part and it adds up. I'd say there's a fair amount of thinking that goes onto both sides in Sonic Vs. Ike.

Also that's why I said take my last examples with a grain of salt. I know some people have difficulty with G&W at least, R.O.B. I don't know but I'll let him get away for now I suppose.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Hello Ikes. Take a look at your Ike- now back at me. Now back at your Ike, then back at me! Sadly, he's not me. But he could be as fast as me if he stopped maining Ike and picked up Sonic.. or mk =_=.
Look down, now back up- where are you? You're on Pictochat, as the character your main could be like! What's on the clock? Now back at me. I'll tell you, it's 30 seconds, and you just landed that homing attack to get that kill the crowd loves. Now look again- you just landed a hit, ran away, and won the match!
Anything is possible when your main is sonic or mk and NOT ike!
I'm on a laggy MLG TV.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
after playing san as much as i do, its pretty clear to me that despite how much he beats me, sonic has a clear advatage in that matchup, and as a matter of fact, I think im going to do a pretty indepth analysis of that matchup sometime soon.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Alright, this thread is getting off course, and its pissing me off. People ask for help in a matchup like I did, and all they get is some stupid vague nonsence that really doesnt help them in a practical setting, so Im going to change this.

any body that feels that they play with somebody or against a character often enough to create a full and thorough write up on a character should do so.
I expect to see these people working on, but not limited to:
Espy for snake, marth, samus, fox and falco
Speed for snake, lucario, wario, kirby, lucas, among others
Trent for snake, ddd.
Excel for luigi, olimar.

In the spirit of practicing what you preach, I will begin. and I expect you to follow my example.

I will start with San

san is the best ike in the country (probably the world) and I play with him a great deal and have taken a lot of time to investigate the character and read their boards and such, so I feel qualified to do this.

Character Behaviour- How does this character act against a Sonic, do they play defensive or try to counteract Sonics natural offense. How do they go about beating Sonic?

Ike is a character that relys on his obsurd power, his crazy range, and jabs. Ike will need to play defensive to beat sonic, because Ike trying to keep up with sonic is a bad and dumb ike, most likely dead too. Good Ikes may jab spindash. All ikes aerials have crazy range, and fair, nair, and bair (I think) all have transcendant priority so he will attempt to beat your moves with his, and kill him early to lessen the chances of him getting gayed somehow. sonics goal is to bait ikes moves, and than punish their ending lag. Many of ikes moves seem unpunishable, but for sonic, they are very assuredly not.

Commonly Used Moves- What moves are mostly likely to be in the 9 move queue. What do they spam and what do they need to survive?
~Jab
Ike jab is the best in the game, if you dont DI out of it, it sets up for almost every other move he has. The optimal way to SDI away from jabs is up and away.
Jab to down tilt at the ledge for super early kills which can kill sonic even with his spring if you arent careful starting at about 50-60%.
Jab up tilt is guaranteed and will kill around 120, maybe below.
jab f tilt will kill at like 100 at the ledge but can be jumped out of regardless of percent. If you DI out and jump away from ike, he will follow you with either an up smash, more jabs or a dash attack. If you try to jump forward over ike while he is jabbing you, he will try to hit you with a lagless Sh bair. Note that if he decided to simply do all three jabs to you, its almost impossible to SDI out of. A little used tech for ike is on a platform, to jab you and than buffer a turnaround, fall through the platform and bair you.
All three jabs have an ascending level of punishability on shield. jab 3, is medium difficulty, you can punish it with f tilt, down tilt, fair oos, or a running grab oos if you are fast about it, if you dont react fast enough, he will just jab you again. Good ikes know this and will be smart enough not to let jab 3 hit your shield. Jab 2 is hard but with good timing and reaction you can fair or maybe up air out of shield to hit him after jab2 hits your shield. Jab 1 is almost impossible to punish on regular shield. the best bet is to try and get away because Ike has too many mixups out of jab 1. but if he reads you he will hit you no matter what. if you roll behind ike, he will retreat a fair, do a turnaround jab, or in the case of a super hard read, turn around f smash. if you roll away, he can dash attack you. just mix it up tho, he cant cover all your options at once.
jab will clank with spindash and than they will jab again. his jab is 3 frames, and we dont have anything that fast with that kind of range to combat it, so in that situation powershield punish it with f tilt or fair.
dont ever spotdodge in close quarters against ike, he will hold the a button, and you will eat 16% percent. at least.

~nair
Their main approach will be with nair, because it has very good range, it comboes hard as balls and next to no lag. Its very hard (but still very possible) to punish.
-on hit.
like I said, nair is a massive combo starter for ike. at low percents, it comboes into jabs.
At low-mid percents it has that slight knockback where most people will airdodge into the ground on reaction and they punish this with more nairs or more jabs. basically a situation reset
the sword goes in basically a 300 degree arc, so it hits behind him as well, and if he hits you from behind, it comboes into bair at mid percents. and can kill with bad DI, watch out for this.
-on shield
Ikes nair has very little lag, so if it hits your shield you will only be able to hit him with the fastest of moves. up air oos is the only move i have seen success with for sonic for this. anything else, or even taking too long to up air will only get you jabbed
-on whiff
Ikes nair is usually used as a baiting move to get people to try to punish its non-existant lag. If you are too slow in your timing, ike will spotdodge or jab you. the only real way to get a guaranteed punish, is to dash attack him as soon as he hits the ground. From there you can get into some nasty followups on him.

~Spotdodge
Screw frame data, ikes spotdodge is semi broken. Its stupidly good. If you try to hold rapid jabs to beat his spotdodge, which works on everyone else, he can spotdodge and still get his jab out in between our jabs. (ps. if you try to jab him, and even if you hit, he can easily jab you inbetween getting hit by our jabs) he will use it to avoid any moves that hes not attempting to beat with jab. and you can buffer turnarounds during spot dodge so he can immediately punish attacks in either direction with his jab.

~fair
good Ikes no long approach with this move. but they will short hop it backwards to stuff any of your approaches.
If it hits your shield, its very hard to punish due to its deceiving lag and unless you are close enough to f tilt it out of shield or dash attack, youll probably get jabbed or spotdodge jabbed trying.
One of ikes tricks is when you are in the air, after a jab combo or fair hit is to full jump a fair after you, if you airdodge it, 8 times out of 10 you will airdodge right into ike, who can fast fall after his fair laglessly and jab your landing.
Dont try to roll behind his fair, it will hit you anyway.

~grab
Ike can combo into his grab from a jab.
most likely ike will go for back throw to dash attack. but ikes dont know the specifics on what percents it works at. (about 65-120 for sonic) so at times they may go for it before the % it works at, which will net you a free powershield if you just hold shield. its either a free grab, or if you are desperate/dairing, you can go for a powershield down smash, which SHOULD work.
fthrow is mainly used to bait a defensive reaction that they can punish, if you get fthrow, try counter attacking them with a fair. if you spotdodge or roll in youll get faired and if you hold shield, youll get regrabed, and if you roll back, youll probably get dash attacked.

~Aether
most Ikes will always aether to recover if possible because quickdraw is bad. you can spring/eat/airdodge through quick draw for a free kill on the ike far enough offstage.
Aether is very hard to work around. Be careful with it. If you make a mistake, you will eat 5-20% and possibly a jab combo.
you can beat aether with spring, but it wont knock him far enoguh to kill untill about 130 with good DI spring is easily the safest way to deal with aether.
if you want to be risky, you can:
attempt to bair ike after he teleports to the sword and is spinning around.
if the top of the aether is high enough above the ledge. sonic can run underneath the sword and grab the ledge before him.
note ike can only aether to the ledge 5 times in a row before he has to touch the stage, abuse this if possible.

~bair
Sh retreating bair is lagless and unpunishable on shield. it kills probably a bit earlier than our f smash. You can duck and avoid it. and you can dash attack it on whiff.
san likes to quickdraw to a platform and than fallthrough/run off the plat with a bair. avoid that. even with out ACing, it has very little lag, about the same as fair.

~ up smash
Dont airdodge into the ground, ikes body has a hitbox with this move, so trying to airdodge past it will never work.

~up air
watch out that you dont airdodge into this.

How to Win- How can Sonic overcome this character, what aspects of Sonics game should be emphasising and what should he try to avoid?

wtf, now I know why nobody ever does full write ups, Ive been doing this shiz for 2 hours and Im not even close to done.

sonic needs a very strong grasp on all of his ground options to beat a good ike. he has to be timing his dash attacks perfectly. they are a very strong asset to the matchup. most of ikes moves can only be punished by dash attack, and a big weakness to ike is that there is a certain air positioning (between the height of sonics SH and FH) where if you hit ike into it, (dash attack does this very well) that makes ike virutally defenseless. all of his aerials will take too long to come out, and then the only option is airdodging into the stage which is very very easily read and punished with grab, which can potential give you a situation reset.

punishing moves with spindash camping is also very important, use that alot.
ASC is a very good option against him, and even if he reads it and retreats a fair, many times you can shield cancel it before you get hit.
the biggest part of this matchup is what sonic does when ike is offstage.
when ike is falling to the stage, he has 2 options. try to fair, and try to airdodge through any gimping attempt you make.
what you do, is you jump at him but you fall below him and bair or nair him in his AD or fair lag. When he eventually gets to the postion he wants to be in (next to the ledge but far below the stage) you go into the process of beating aether using the above methods.
when ike is on the ledge try to goad him in to aethering back to the ledge and using up his five aethers. which really limits his options.

when ike has sonic on the ledge, be VERY careful, as that is a very dangerous position that you may be in more often than youd like due to back throw dash attack.
ike can crush any attempt sonic makes to get on stage. with fair and up smash. the trick is to bait the ike into whiffing a laggy attack so that you can ledge hop a spindash of some kind to hit him or get past him. just dont wait too long. cause ikes are not afraid to do run off dairs at people on the ledge and offstage.

Recommended Stages- What are the best stages for Sonic to play this character on? Simple!

Ban delfino, he has wall infinites, water camping with aether, and back throw dash attack kills stupid early on the walk offs.
avoid battlefield for the first neutral, ike traps people on platforms far too easily.
Avoid castle siege as well if possible. second stage is too good for ike. back throw dash attack will kill early. and statues lengthen the eruption hitbox, which will kill you at as low as 30 if you run in stupidly.
ps1 can be a good stage as long as you avoid the places and times on the map where ike can wall infinite you.
If possible counterpick norfair and time his balls off. there is almost nothing Ike can do to catch a sonic that is running away from him on norfair.
for the first neutral, try to go for FD or smashville, but on smashville, just watch out for back throw to f tilt on the moving plat.
Counter picking ike is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

I was planning to do this for pikachu and falco and lucario as well. but JESUS that took forever.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Someone really should do Falco if they get the chance...

I'd do it myself, but it'd be silly if it came from me when I struggle with him. :/

Edit: No kidding, Goggles.

I worked on the Sonic write-up at 2 in the morning at the time non-stop.

When I was finished, it was either quarter to 4 or quarter to 5. Takes a lot of time, but I would love to see that at least this gets updated with the high priority matchups.

Essentially, that means all the top/high-tier characters (Outlier: Meta Knight), matchups where there is a general consensus that Sonic struggles with (Outlier: Lucario), and characters that have gimmicks that need to be known in order to win (Outlier: Yoshi).

I won't go as far as to say there any low-priority/no-priority matchups. I don't think there's any matchup Sonic wins 65:35 or worse to warrant that character is not a worry. Doesn't help though that it gets real finicky when there are some mid-high tier characters that can pose a threat but simply never get used, therefore it becomes very difficult to assess the character. :/ Still, in that case it could be a collaboration and just pull our heads together instead of having one lone person managing it. Better than nothing.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Does Ike's jab true combo into Fsmash with stun jacket? Just curious, I know it doesn't affect the matchup.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
IIRC, Counter-jacket (it would be more proper this way) is a glitch with Marth and Ike's counters/Down-B where if it's triggered but doesn't connect with any kind of hurtbox with the Counter attack, then the next attack either character does will have an abnormal amount of hitstun.

... I have never seen it used in a real match, let alone anywhere else except in the instance where it was discovered (obviously).

Tesh

Smash Hero
It has a similar effect on shields, and lets Ike and Marth true combo dancing blade or jab into a grab apparently.

Just curious because I think it this is possible to do by countering iSDR.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I've seen it happen in a real match. It's fairly easy for Meta Knight's Mach Tornado to touch the counter, but for Meta Knight to not get hit by it.

It's pretty cool.

Tesh

Smash Hero
It only counts for the very next hit that affects the person that was supposed to be countered (but didnt get hit). So if he hit you with a Fair or upsmash or something as the next hit either of you landed, you would just suffer extra hitstun (20 extra frames?). If you hit him first, there would be extra shield stun or hitstun for you. I think if you look in Mr. R's combo video you will see him use dancing blade 1 and combo into a tipper smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A

Very first clip in the video, he counters tornado but it doesn't hit MK's hurtbox. Then when he lands the dancing blade, MK is frozen for extra frames. Its like some kind of carry over hitlag that gets stuck to the countered player.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
Lol, anyone remember when Wolf was thought to be one of Sonics like absolute hardest matchups? Back in the Days of SDR everything haha..
I laughed at that back when people said it. I personally don't feel sonic has anything worse than 60-40 I think to an extent he can fight anyone if you know how and play the right style.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
good writeup KID. im going to use that one for SPD. geez guys, you can send me your writeups when youre done wit em here y'know...:(

Tesh

Smash Hero
ASC-footstool is good once they reach mid percents. One will go flying, the other falls down. If they are in the air, fair and uair seperate well due to the reverse hitboxes. Spring can seperate them as well at higher percents. Any attack combo that will affect one differently than the other is good. Nana also has some crazy SDI sometimes.

Browny

Smash Hater
So... how bout dat zss MU

I was thinking today... I cant think of much of a reason for this to remain a ZSS advantage. Its time to ditch this 'dont consider timeouts in a MU ratio theory' because that logic makes Snake beat metaknight.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't see why it shouldn't be ZSS advantage. Sure they both have a nice safe camp game, but ZSS definitely has a major advantage when the match starts and she has an amazing projectile that kills. I think its reasonable to assume she would have a lead. ZSS and Sonic are sort of rare characters at high level play, are there any high level matches where both players are good at the matchup?

I'd say its 60:40 Sonic's favor on Yoshi's Island:Melee. When you spawn, the suit pieces roll down hill before the match starts and Sonic can easily get to them first. :cool:

Browny

Smash Hater
For the record, I was thinking of this analogy.

A problem with everyones MU vs sonic is that they all assume it is their favour by default. Its ****ing ******** logic. anyway...

Compare this to Lucario, another character with the advantage by default scenario (although this one is perfectly understandable lol).

We have one instance of a top sonic vs the top Lucario, and winning. No MU inexperience johns, this is lee were talking about here lol. All other sonics find this MU a clear disadvantage. Even if x beats lee 5 times in a row, no one would call it a sonic advantage due to the sheer majority who find it hard.

Compare this to now to a top sonic vs top ZSS, who wins. Now correct me if Im wrong but I dont seem to recall anyone here having much of a problem with ZSS...

Both scenarios together point to a sonic adv imo. The usual criticisms are '1 piece of data from 2 people without MU experience is useless'. To that I say, and why is ZERO pieces of data enough to point to a ZSS advantage when assuming top-level play? This advantaged-by-default logic is absolutely terrible. Secondly, there not being enough highly-skilled ZSS' to match the relative skill and number of sonic mains. This is irrelevant, people cite the difficulty involved in using a character to their fullest potential but thats completel bull**** as an excuse as to why people cant do well. There DOES exist a line where a characters limitations hold back a persons skill and the refusal to admit this is what leads to the notion that ZSS has an advantage from the near useless mid-level evidence to point to a ZSS advantage.

Basically, the only reasons for ZSS having an advantage apply to sonic and are heavier for him, while all discountable evidence for sonic having an advantage apply to ZSS as well and are more numorous for her.

(I do not think it should be anywhere outside of 45:55 - 55:45 either way, leaning towards even though)

Top Bottom