• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trillion

Smash Ace
Try F-Throw or U-Throw. F-Throw is especially fast, and even if either still blow up the grenade, then it's just as you said, it won't make that much difference because B-Throw is too slow; so is the case of D-Throw but I think D-throw detonates the Grenade. F-Throw and U-Throw on the other hand at least do 1% and 4% more respectively.

Yes, it does work. The trick is to not overlay the hitbox over the grenade. Better known as "proper spacing."

:093:
Seconding this advice.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I honestly think it's even, and that a lot of Sonics are blowing it out of proportion.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
THANK YOU. lol

at least someone has a clue :p

and I agree with what browny said earlier (...somewhere, not sure if it was this thread) about how ridiculous it is that people say "oh it's sonic, so it must be advantaged to the other character." BS.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Aw, thanks for that, haha. I'm not that good though...I'm alright.

Hopefully we'll play again at a tourney and it might turn out different next time. n_nb

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I hope that "blowing the tink matchup out of proportion' thing wasnt directed at me.

I never said it was a terrible matchup, I just said I have no idea what to do vs him or when to try and hit him

Tesh

Smash Hero
So should we call the Wolf boards and discuss how Sonic hard counters them? This thread is outdated.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
To Hell with that counter BS.

It's 6:4 at worst.

Stop Spin Dashing so much.

*Needs to take his own advice.*

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yes.

Please do.

Provide vidjo evidence though.

If all I see is a buncha scrub Sonics doing it wrong, I'ma bust a gut.

Yes, this will include me.

Tomorrow though.

Oh God I'm tired. I'm not used to the tourney scene and how exhausting it used to be. Having to put effort into not losing to random DK players and just playing as Sonic is tiresome.

I'ma post vidjos. For now though, it's sleepy timez.

Nighty night.

Please don't wake me until I am ready.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you talking about wolf?

theres no way wolf beats sonic. but thinking sonic beats wolf doesnt seem plausible either.

as long as you dont try to punish stuff from wolf that you cant punish, then you should be fine for the most part.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
My quote was concerning Toon Link.

But Wolf does beat Sonic. Small advantage, but one nontheless.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont think toon link necessarily beats sonic either, its just that there seems to be a lot more to learn about that match up than other matchups. and so few oppurtunities to learn what you need to learn.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Oh no. Toon Link doesn't outright beat Sonic.
He does, if anything, have a slight advantage, but it's so minuscule that it might as well be an even match up. They both suck at KOing, and while Toon Link has projectiles, he sacrifices it for a terrible recovery.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wouldnt say terrible, i mean, it works it covers some distance and most of the time, it beat ledge invincibility.

also, for anybody that has to fight tinks, he gets most of his kills by either eating airdodges with up smash, punishing a random move with nair or bair oos, or beating your airdodge with up air.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Terrible in comparison to ours, KID. And if they're forcing you off of the ledge while they're upBing, then you're edgeguarding the Toon Link wrong.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
oh come on, saying a recovery is terrible compared to sonics is stupid. theres only like 5 characters in the game that have recoveries as good as ours

it makes more sence to make general statements like that in relation to the entire cast. in which case id say tink is slightly above average.

and it can be quite difficult at times to time your edgeguard properly to last through the up b

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
and it can be quite difficult at times to time your edgeguard properly to last through the up b
Like I said. If you're letting them even HIT you with upB, then you're edge guarding wrong.
Think man. Think.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Just saying, TL's recovery is not that bad.

at all.

lol

he can cover his way back onstage with bombs/boomerangs, and up-B has decent vertical reach, so...yeah.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I wouldnt say terrible, i mean, it works it covers some distance and most of the time, it beat ledge invincibility.

also, for anybody that has to fight tinks, he gets most of his kills by either eating airdodges with up smash, punishing a random move with nair or bair oos, or beating your airdodge with up air.
not terrible, but highly predictable. you're not gonna see much variety in thier recovery, even if done intellegently, making it easier than most to pressre them offstage or put them in a position to where they just take more damage/ get thrown back offstage, which is when I think I'm doing it right.

Most times I've won against a toon link was because I took advantage of what I can do to him offstage. I remember I was rusty against the matchup and I wasn't doing that great against a mediocre toon link. I ended up killing him all three times the same exact way though: knock him off stage, then beat down until he couldn't recover enough. tbh i haven't played a TL in a long time so my matchup knowledge was suspect, but i knew that much still worked.

Trillion

Smash Ace
My first instinct (and perhaps it is wrong) is to say that I think I agree with Kojin. It does seem like I can build up a lot of damage on Toon Link when he is offstage. I think this is true for several reasons.

The first is as Kojin said, that his recovery is pretty predictable. He's safe-ish with those bombs, arrows, and boomerangs and such, but there is little variety it seems like to his choices.

The second is that if you fail to hit him or knock him away or w/e and he hits you, then you usually take hardly any damage at all. Maybe one or two hits at most from his spin attack or one hit from the boomerang or a hit from the bomb.

So, it tends to be that you are dealing more damage to him (even if its not a ton) when you catch him than the damage you take when you fail and on top of that, you are more likely to hit him then he is to hit you. So, you have low risk and the potential benefits outweigh the potential costs.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Not saying it's impossible, but I've tried to SDI out of Jerm's upB several times, and the only move fast enough to hit him back, for me, was fair.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not surprise that people come to this thread and think Sonic is horrible. A quick glance at the front page suggests that Sonic loses to everyone except Link and Ganondorf. Hardest matchups still being shown and Marth and GnW. We really need this matchup thread replaced, redone or updated at least.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
The write ups are more important than the chart. It’s not like you’re the 457 the person to mention this or anything.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well yea, but it wouldn't hurt to make the chart accurate. Sonic-GnW/Marth isn't hard counter. And he clearly beats more than 2 characters.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Double post

Someone teach me how to deal with Olimar. Where do I CP/Ban. How to properly juggle that little mofo and deal with whistle.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
fair is such an underated move... it is GREAT oos (probably sonic's best oos option), has decent KO potential, and can be used to edgeguard people thanks to its 30 frames of super armor

Top Bottom