• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
sure. that's great actually. Seeing as tho your an Australian it should be alot less lag and i should get a better grasp. I more interested in DK tho as that's what we've moved onto. But let me know if you ever have time to get online.

I agree with you so far, but I have vs'ed alot of DK mains, but of the ones i have experienced it has never been a massive problem. ASC seems to work well as well as aerials playing a giant role.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I really feel that this is strongly in DK's advantage.

I'm sort of biased because the very first DK main that I fought was axelol, and I've held every DK I've fought since then up to his standard.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's best to approach DK from the front. On the ground, you can handily shield his (massively long-range) tilts, smashes, etc, while dodging his grabs. It's not always easy, but it beats being behind him and getting U-tilt juggled and B-aired.

In the air, the only quick moves he has that can hit you are N-air and B-air (he can, like Sonic, hit from the front), but his speed (and range) is much slower in the front than what you'd have to deal with behind him. Keep note that with proper prediction, a DK CAN land F-air and D-air (even... on spring jumps) if you're approaching from too far. When you're up close and he's in the air, feel free to attack from the front. If your opponent is familiar with the Sonic matchup, don't expect to just spring and use an aerial to get by when you're near the edge - you'll end up getting spiked.

When approaching from the front, just watch out for:

- 10-charged punches, since super armor will counter and destroy you. Also keep in mind if he charges his punch but isn't flashing. It's most likely a 9-charge punch - no super armor, but ungodly knockback.
- Up-B. It also has super armor (or is it invincibility frames? I think it changes depending on grounded/aerial up-B) during the beginning, so it can be used to counter and rack up some un-wanted damage. It IS possible to smash him or grab him out of it, but it's usually safer to wait until post-attack lag.
- Sakurai Combo. 'Nuff said. Too many times have I gone in, expecting DK to tilt or something so I'd tap shield, and as soon as I let go, get slammed into the ground...
But really, B-air/headbutt hurts your shield pretty badly too.
- Ground Slam - clangs with/outprioritizes SDR's.
- Grab. This is where you'll need 1337 teching skills. at 40%+, DK can cargo-grab you, walk off the edge, and stagespike you with a throw. Good luck on this one ;__;. Ripple also posted a video of what to do to people who get caught doing reflexive teching (throw them under the stage/away from it and lol as they airdodge). However, Sonic is rather safe from this since he has such a large recovery range.

What's interesting about this matchup is that DK's not very disjointed in some of his attacks. I'm not sure exactly which moves, but you can grab/attack him from his extended limb range. An example that I've brought up a few times is that I've stood halfway in Brawl Yoshi's Island as an opponent DK did a ledgehopped DK Pawnch and I tipped his extended hand with my own, either at the same time or immediately after he missed, and it hit him for the kill.

Like Dedede, rising/lagless B-airs can totally screw up your approach game. It's also one of DK's best approaches/spacing tools, and can even KO. A running P-shield can sometimes screw up his spacing if he's doing a falling B-air, and you can proceed to grab him out of it. It's much easier to do this on laggy landings, but I'm pretty sure you can grab him straight out of the aerial if you shield the attackbox.

okay, i'm tired. have fun with that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I honestly doubt that DK has a huge advantage on Sonic, but I agree he does win in this matchup. I'd say he has the advantage by 65/35. Maybe a bit less.

DK's biggest downfall is a lack of reliable KO moves. He can't usually charge a DK Punch against Sonic unless if Sonic just died, otherwise he risks getting grabbed (or if he's ledgecamping, then spring gimped maybe because of his mediocre Up-B). His Smashes are all unsafe to use. His last KO moves are meteor ledgeguards which are easy to see coming and avoid, plus laggy. And then his U-air, which isn't bad in terms of range and speed, but also very easy to see coming.

Aside from that, he only has like 2 usable aerials. This means he has a lot of blind spots in the air, and because he's a big target, he's not terribly hard to combo once you get a hit in.

He's hard to kill, but fairly easy to gimp because his Up-B sucks.

Okay, now problems. DK is pretty mobile. His run speed and air speed are both above average. And because Sonic isn't a projectile camper, he can't really stop DK from approaching with his B-air, which is fast and has huge range.

DK's tilts are all fast and have crazy range, making it fairly unsafe to stay close to DK for a long period of time. His grab range is also very good, which speaks for itself really. His D-smash while a little unsafe to use comes out fast, and if you normal shield it will push you away a decent distance.

That's all I have to say about DK for now.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I think Donkey Kong killing potential is fairly ok, he is very strong and has 3 spikes...but unfortunately for DK's, they are predictable. His smashes are deadly at lower %'s tho. They can play a little bit of mind games when they charge up their punch, but Sonic is fast enough that if will barely change his play :)
That punch is dangerous because it does have super armour frames, so try not to aerial hit him while he is doing it...coz ur going to get pawnched. The other big thing DK has is he is mostly likely to stay alive a loooong time. He is heavy, very heavy.
Luckily Sonics ability to gimp at low percentages whould help this.
I find that a d-air semi spike isn't impossible to pull off in most situations. If he is up -b ing it will still hit. And if he isn't odds are he'll be gimped. Dont try and hit him from the side when he is recovering as his b-up will take you for a ride.

Sonic should be pretty adept at combo-ing dk, as long as we can manage to avoid his aerials.

I think his fundamental moves will include:

U-air
D-tilt
F-smash/U-smash
Side B
B-air
B-throw

Tenki

Smash Hero
^D-smash.
Out of shield/spotdodge, D-smash is just too good at punishing laggy moves with a kill.

He's hard to kill, but fairly easy to gimp because his Up-B sucks.
Name moves that reliably break DK's up-B off-stage with a horizontal or downward trajectory.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
It's hard to hit DK when he is in his recovery move. All gimping should generally be done before he gets that chance to use it successfully.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
dk is just too grabable... just fighting against him makes sonic feel like D3 becuz i can always just fall back ona grab.

the main things i see in the sonic matchup are kinda similar to the ike matchup:
sonic is to fast, too small

dk is too slow and too big. ike has more range than dk too.. but i guess dk has some more speed in attacking to make up for that.

my sonic specializes in avoiding nasty big heavy killing blows. so i almost never get hit by things like donkey punch... somtimes i am caught off gaurd with dk's dsmash bcuzz it comes out pretty quick.. but after playing against mk and gaw... dk feels really easy.

ill grant you this tho... i really doubt i have played a TRULY skilled dk.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Name moves that reliably break DK's up-B off-stage with a horizontal or downward trajectory.
Whoops, got me there.

But like seriously, doesn't his Up-B have like ZERO priority above him? So...won't the spring hit him?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
If DK Usmashes, counter with a Dsmash. You'll go under his hitbox and avoid the hit entirely. Kinda funny.

Anyways I would have to say around 63:37 in DK's favor.
I've played both Axelol and Proud and I have done well against them.

DK's Bair will **** you so if you see you him in the air with his back to you the best thing is to actually dash attack under him to avoid him. Or just run away whichever is better. (run away!)

Spinshotting is good as well as the homing attack 9though be wary of the Utilt its rather quick).
Also be very wary of the 7 wind-10wind punch.
Anywhere from 7-9 winds gives DK massive amounts of knockback to his punch and his fully charged version has super armor.

You will have to take a more defensive approach to the battle. When DK is on the ground you can approach somewhat well with a SH Fair due to its ability to eat shields.

Bair is somewhat good for retreating (though be wary his Bair will break yours).
If you managage to get him into the air do your best to keep him there.
his Dair cannot break your Uair so abuse it when he is above you.

Also using a DAC Usmash is helpful because you'll go over his Ftilt and Tilt to ht him.

Its also hard to gimp him, if you can predict his recovery and punish accordingly.

Use your Dsmash, it has a good low angle to help hamper him and its faster than your Fsmash.
Be very careful though because it takes much less for him to Ko you than the other way around.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Whoops, got me there.

But like seriously, doesn't his Up-B have like ZERO priority above him? So...won't the spring hit him?
Think of DK's up-B as MK's rising Tornado, except it's vulnerable from under him.

It's really only vulnerable from below or straight above with any move with some semblance of priority.

True it is that Sonic's spring outprioritizes many moves, but those moves tend to be slash-type moves. DK's recovery, however, isn't a slash-type move and destroys the spring.

Actually, it was a trick. You can B-air and situationally, sweetspot D-air DK out of it if you come in diagonally, but it's pretty difficult to do for now. That is to say that it's possible to do it with enough matchup practice.

In general, however, DK will be at a placement so that you can't hit him out of it, and if you can (ex: non-sweetspot D-air), it will make it easier for him to recover.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I have a little practise against DK. What's hard I found is approaching. Ground Pound limits your ground approach, and he can swat you out of aerial approaches with utilt.
Once you get inside his good range and defenses you can combo him to hell though. He's pretty easy to rack damage up on once he's in the air. Not from behind, but his weakspot is in front of him up there, because his fair is really slow.
I find him REALLY easy to kill at low percentages too. If you dair him offstage, he's dead. If you footstool him, he's dead.
I haven't played this match-up much, so I don't feel qualified enough to give a verdict. I'm just interested to read why people think it's DK's advantage. I haven't read any posts before this so I'll do it after this, I just think Sonic's gimping game against him is too good. I know he has his UpB, but just chase him offstage and intercept him before he gets to use his recovery.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you dair him offstage, he's dead.

If you footstool him, he's dead.
1) bad DI. Try it out with a second controller. Have controller 2 hold up (and if you wanna be realistic, up+towards the stage) while you sweetspot D-air. Gimped? I don't think so.

2) True enough. I've footstooled DK's ledgehop (lol) before and it led to an early kill, but that aside, DK can usually just start up-B and avoid it altogether.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever tried using a reverse sweetspot dair to hit DK into the stage and stage spike him?

You know, facing towards the stage and sweetspotting a dair through his up B?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
1) bad DI. Try it out with a second controller. Have controller 2 hold up (and if you wanna be realistic, up+towards the stage) while you sweetspot D-air. Gimped? I don't think so.

2) True enough. I've footstooled DK's ledgehop (lol) before and it led to an early kill, but that aside, DK can usually just start up-B and avoid it altogether.
Hmm, I guess so. You can dair stagespike him though.

On an unrelated note, I think this thread is going to run into a lot of disagreements with the other boards. Last time I checked, Pikachu and Fox (!) had a big disadvantage on us on their boards lmao :\

Tenki

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever tried using a reverse sweetspot dair to hit DK into the stage and stage spike him?

You know, facing towards the stage and sweetspotting a dair through his up B?
you don't have to reverse, just make sure that DK's hitbox is on the side of you that's towards the stage.

Anyway, most good DK's won't put themselves in that situation (below the stage) anyway, and considering how easy it is to DI Sonic's attacks to avoid being sent downwards, it's something you'll rarely have the chance to do.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
So is that the really the crux of winning? Being able to put Dk, into those kind of positions?
Things like a d-throw (close to edge) then fair?
@ROOOOY!: I can understand thier thinking behind pikachu but whether it's big? I don't know. I'll get a mate round when we get to the rat.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i actually think this match is very different from usual sonic play, its one of the few where i would advise to play very aggresive and since its so easy to beat on the big lug, i actually dont have a problem with just hitting him with regular attacks until 200 than hitting with a smash. basically you have to kill him between 40 and 80 or above 180, its hard to kill him be tween those 2 ranges

aeghrur

Smash Champion
i actually think this match is very different from usual sonic play, its one of the few where i would advise to play very aggresive and since its so easy to beat on the big lug, i actually dont have a problem with just hitting him with regular attacks until 200 than hitting with a smash. basically you have to kill him between 40 and 80 or above 180, its hard to kill him be tween those 2 ranges
Yeah, I agree with you. When it's against opponents like Bowser or DK, playing more aggressive could help, but still be cautious of course. Obviously, don't get caught by his finishing moves, especially side B(SLOW). =O
Uh, also, remember that homing attack semi-spike thing? I think it could really help in the DK match up, if you ever try it. =P It works from straight up(the Up-B's blind spot). =O It could help, just suggesting. =P

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
but punishing dk over and over isn't as easy as all that. he has great combo potential and if you slip up, it's gonna hurt. Also he has counters for things like SDR, he can ground pound you out of it. Its easy enough to hit on him coz he is a giant, but you really, really gotta be careful of that u-tilt, b-air, u-air kind of stuff.

+ he can grab u out of sdr better than most other chars

Edit: I can now record matches. Will be throwing some Sonic vs Game and Watch stuff up on youtube as I have only recorded me and my GAW mainer mate. But yeah, DK's that wanna test out the matchup... let me know

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Interesting how different opinions are. Personally, this is one of my absolute favorite matchups with Sonic. Although DK has advantages in priority, range, and power are true, as someone else before me said, it is just much too easy to beat DK up. Spin combos work better on him than anyone except bowser. He has no annoying projectile. Uair juggling is too easy.

But yea, be just be careful on the ground.
POWERSHIELD. I cannt stress how much this will help in approaching him with his insane range.
DownB shouln't be a problem. Mix up your spin approaches and you will be fine. If you are using SDR and the DK uses down B, then just use SDJ and Dair or homing or whatever from above, he has enough ending lag on DownB so that he is punishes as least enough to counteract the effectiveness of using his DownB.
Remember how everyone use to Fair chase like crazy back in the day? Well go retro because DK is a huge target whom you can Fair chase quite well.
His upB is a problem. The key to gimping DK is try to send him as low as possible offstage. Nair(late hits especially) can help to send him at this low angle. Use Dthrow near the edge, follow up with nairs or watev.

Spinshotting is effective as an approach often as well.

To Greenstreet, that is precisely why I think this matchup is even. If you slip up, he can combo well, but really, springing out of his combos is quite easy. ANd it works both ways. If you are good anuff, you wont Spin into DK without at least a good 24+ damage done most of the time. ONe hit usually results in a 30% combo against DKs.

I say the match is even at worst.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i'd like to see footage of a good dk vs a good sonic for this to be confirmed tho napi

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Sonic da hedgehog only haz gude matchups cuz he iz so fast and nobuddy can hit him. He spins up into a ball and goes super duper fast making it impossible 4 sum characters to hit him. His foreward strong attack is good cuz he hits dem really hard in da face and it sends dem flying far away. He also has an attack dat homes in on enemies which makes it very dangerfull for all characters that try to fite against Sonic. Taunting somebuddy bi saying "ur 2 slow" iz lyke one of da bestes mindgamez in da game becuz it annoyings you're opponent so mcuh, especially wen they R getting beat by Sonic. I dont even tink there shood be a matchup chart 4 sonic cuz he haz no bad matchups.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Greenstreet
i'd like to see footage of a good dk vs a good sonic for this to be confirmed tho napi
Fair enough, as I myself haven't faced a DK who is really well knwn by name. I've faced some really good DKs(gave all my non-Sonic chars trouble), but not a "famous" one.

Sonic da hedgehog only haz gude matchups cuz he iz so fast and nobuddy can hit him. He spins up into a ball and goes super duper fast making it impossible 4 sum characters to hit him. His foreward strong attack is good cuz he hits dem really hard in da face and it sends dem flying far away. He also has an attack dat homes in on enemies which makes it very dangerfull for all characters that try to fite against Sonic. Taunting somebuddy bi saying "ur 2 slow" iz lyke one of da bestes mindgamez in da game becuz it annoyings you're opponent so mcuh, especially wen they R getting beat by Sonic. I dont even tink there shood be a matchup chart 4 sonic cuz he haz no bad matchups.
I Lolled.

Tujex

Smash Ace
As a DK mainer who's played a few ranked Sonic's and others who are unofficial but VERY good with the guy, I find that this match is easier for me than it is for them. DK's air game is far superior to the Blue Hedgehog's, with his Bair coming out quicker and I think it has more priority. Fair, Dair, and SideB own Sonic's recovered, since his UpB makes him about as vulnerable to meteor smashes as Snake IMO. DK also has insane range, and Sonic (being a close range fighter) makes him fodder for DK's grab game.

Sonic's CQC, aerial game, and grab game is somewhat inferior to DK's....and the ape has him outrange and prioritized in just about every way. Sonic without Smashballs on, is a fairly easy match that's more like 70-30 in DK's favor.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
DK spikes Sonic?
If I get hit by a fair spike I will slit my wrists.
Sonic has more options to recover than the spring.

I hate Sonic match-up's, everyone plays so differently that while some people think they're advantaged, some people feel that they're strongly disadvantaged :\

I seriously don't know about this match-up. I've played a decent DK and I didn't find it too hard.

Tenki

Smash Hero
As a DK mainer who's played a few ranked Sonic's and others who are unofficial but VERY good with the guy, I find that this match is easier for me than it is for them. DK's air game is far superior to the Blue Hedgehog's, with his Bair coming out quicker and I think it has more priority. Fair, Dair, and SideB own Sonic's recovered, since his UpB makes him about as vulnerable to meteor smashes as Snake IMO. DK also has insane range, and Sonic (being a close range fighter) makes him fodder for DK's grab game.

Sonic's CQC, aerial game, and grab game is somewhat inferior to DK's....and the ape has him outrange and prioritized in just about every way. Sonic without Smashballs on, is a fairly easy match that's more like 70-30 in DK's favor.
Your opponents aren't creative enough. Granted, I have been spiked out of my up-B, usually when I'm reflexive and try to F-air out of it, but with proper spacing (for example, drop lower, or spring higher, to take advantage of invincibility frames), the Sonic player can up-B and still have control (...to airdodge) back by the time he gets to your height, as well as be closer to the stage, vertically. Normal recoveries aside, there's also side-b > double jump airdodge, spring to walljump to reach the edge, etc.

I brought this up in the DK discussion, and earlier in this thread.

How superior is DK's aerial game when Sonic is in front of him?
How difficult is it to shield grab and/or attack DK out of his extended arms? (tilts, smashes, Giant Punch, etc)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
How difficult is it to shield grab and/or attack DK out of his extended arms? (tilts, smashes, Giant Punch, etc)
Not very. Granted, Sonic's attack speed is not great, but none of those attacks have disjointed hitboxes or anything, his arms/whatever he's attacking with are still hurtboxes, and they stay out for quite a while, rather longer than the hitboxes stay out it seems to me.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
I get wrecked by DK. You have to play a disturbingly percise mix of offense and defense and one slip can lead to your death or him living to like 300% -.-.

You cant let DK breathe, but you also have to be aware of the super armor on some of his moves and the alarming speed of his tilts.

The fact is that even with good DI...a D-smash is gonna kill u @ 110%. D smash is nearly instant OOS. His up-tilt kills in the 160% range. His Up and Foward smash kill before 100%...so even though u can work him over with low knock back moves for obscene %....once it comes down to getting the kill things get alot tricker. The only thing I have reliably done is if I block a D-smash, I shield drop stutter step F-smash and it hits. That works rather reliably.

A big mistake that people make is assuming his smash attacks aren't safe. It's SONIC! DK can throw out F- smashes all he wants....whats he gonna die to a dash attack? Or an up-throw (Not until 200 with good DI)? or an up-smash? DK players have this logic....same as DDD....the risk vs reward is just so uneven.

The risk vs reward for his smash attacks is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. The risk is AT BEST sonic can get a grab. The reward is you do obscene knockback and probably kill your opponent before 100%.

Then you add in how heavy he is and hes always living til 230. Then you have to add in how predictable sonic becomes once he starts struggling for the kill. This is usually where things go brutally wrong for me.
I try to kill DK @ around 170 feeling that I may get one off bad DI @ this point. So then u move from moves that have small windows to punish like up-air, sh retreating fair, nair oos....dash attacks grabs and side-b's into D-smash and Fsmash. Missing EITHER OF THESE is gonna get you a D-smash. Without the option of gimping DK you have to actually go for the kill....which blows.

This is why I think the matchup is so bad. There are no offstage gimmick kills against DK. You have to take him...from the stage....to the blast line which is INCREDIBLY HARD TO DO with such laggy Smash attacks.

Oh and about the cargo stage spike....its not that hard to tech it. It only works @ a certain point so you should have a good idea of when its coming. I tried to do it myself in practice mode and realized @ what point you have to do the throw....after that I can say I tech it fairly often now. The trick is...to wall jump-tech. The wall-jump tech sets you up to footstool DK once you actually do tech it. I took a stock off of a few DKs in tournament with that knowledge lol....but still have yet to win a set. My last DK in tournament....I died to THE BACK OF HIS FIST on pictochat @ around 100%. THe back of his fist sent me STRAIGHT UP and I died off the top of pictochat. DK was on his last stock @ somewhere around 240%.

Sooooooooo yeah....if anyone has some DK gimping tools....for example I am gonna try to use this dair move often....then please do write.

Damaging him is NOT an issue....getting the kill is where it becomes tough.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I like used turnarund cancelling fsmashes, foxtrotted fsmashes, and stuttetsteppedx2 fsmashes agaist DK alot as finishes. Especially effetive when I mix the three up. it helps you get close enough for the kill quickly.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I get wrecked by DK. You have to play a disturbingly percise mix of offense and defense and one slip can lead to your death or him living to like 300% -.-.

------

The fact is that even with good DI...a D-smash is gonna kill u @ 110%. D smash is nearly instant OOS. His up-tilt kills in the 160% range. His Up and Foward smash kill before 100%...so even though u can work him over with low knock back moves for obscene %....once it comes down to getting the kill things get alot tricker. The only thing I have reliably done is if I block a D-smash, I shield drop stutter step F-smash and it hits. That works rather reliably.

------

A big mistake that people make is assuming his smash attacks aren't safe. It's SONIC! DK can throw out F- smashes all he wants....whats he gonna die to a dash attack? Or an up-throw (Not until 200 with good DI)? or an up-smash? DK players have this logic....same as DDD....the risk vs reward is just so uneven.

------

Then you add in how heavy he is and hes always living til 230. Then you have to add in how predictable sonic becomes once he starts struggling for the kill. This is usually where things go brutally wrong for me.
------
1) lol. Don't stale your kill move(s) too early.
2) Thank you for bringing up his OoS. When I played against axelol online, he seemed to be more of a spot-dodge freak. D-smash OoD is pretty scary too, especially when you're being too straightforward with your approaches and trying to grab/attack ASAP (which is the case way too often when I see my opponent miss an attack- Sonic reflex is to run at it and grab, even if the opponent can already attack or dodge by the time I get there).
3) Actually, he's pretty heavy, so U-throw won't be killing until about 210% without DI and like.. 240(? forgot modifying numbers with good DI lol)
4) Don't stale your kill move(s) too early.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
so now dk is a hard matchup for sonic too? I lol at the sonic boards. you guys just dont get it i guess.

Browny

Smash Hater
man the KO %'s people are coming up with are ridiculous. While other character boards like to assume smash attacks are always KO'ing at the edge of the stage, it seems sonic mainers always assume and fsmash/bair only hits from the far side of norfair to get the KO %'s.

and for the last time, a bair will go right through his upb. Every time you let a DK use his upb and recover without taking a bair in the process, youre doing it wrong

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
so now dk is a hard matchup for sonic too? I lol at the sonic boards. you guys just dont get it i guess.
want to set up a match then with a dk mainer and u can show us how u find it in sonics advantage? i'm not takin a stab at ya, i am genuinely interested in seeing some1 play this matchup to sonics advantage.
we are going for accuracy here. and tenki probly has the most knowledge on this matchup, having versed a very decent DK.
can u show us how u beat a DK then?

ill grant you this tho... i really doubt i have played a TRULY skilled dk.

@tenki - what was the best strategy you had against axelol. wen were you most in control of the match?

Browny

Smash Hater
so my brother goes on wifi and 3-stocks, taking only 20% the entire game as DK vs a sonic mainer, while he still struggles to beat my sonic

verdict imo:
DK brutally ***** even decent sonic mainers
against sonic users who know how to properly space his attacks with retreating fairs, stutter stepped fsmashes etc, its close to even.

Tenki

Smash Hero
want to set up a match then with a dk mainer and u can show us how u find it in sonics advantage? i'm not takin a stab at ya, i am genuinely interested in seeing some1 play this matchup to sonics advantage.
we are going for accuracy here. and tenki probly has the most knowledge on this matchup, having versed a very decent DK.
can u show us how u beat a DK then?

@tenki - what was the best strategy you had against axelol. wen were you most in control of the match?
well first off, BF is an amazing level for DK as it keeps you in his range. He CP'd it on me and I promptly got 3stocked `.`;

this was a few months ago though lol.

freaking sakurai combo.

axelol does alot of defensive stuff with spotdodge and stuff. The best thing I had going for me were feints and grabs, and, once in a while, charged smashes (counter for spotdodge). If I started juggling him, he'd airdodge me as I'd jump at him, so I basically had to outplay his dodges. Otherwise, he'd space well enough with B-air and tilts to keep me at bay. It was almost completely player against player, except for the fact that he had to wait until 80% or so to kill me and I had to wait until about 150-200% on him (he does proper DI, moving so he'd get launched in the opposite direction, etc).

I can't stress enough how important it is to have your kill moves un-stale in this matchup. If they DI too well and you try to kill assuming they wouldn't, you're in for a long match.

R4ZE - get some friends to record your matches. I'm very interested in seeing your playstyle as well as your opponents. It will either add heavy weight to what you say, as well as giving the rest of the Sonic mains tips on what to do against certain matchups, like MK and the likes, or totally discredit you for playing against scrubs.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
on the DK's i have played the have air dodge heaps wen i am approachin so i learnt to jump up and fake into a HA and if i dont cut the lock on time itll hit DK out of it.

EDIT: more coming after work

Top Bottom