• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I always fill this in when we just started one, giving people some stuff to look at and flame at. As you do now, you can argue what I said and show why certain points are wrong should be different in the write-up. So I don't think it's all that bad if I fill this in first. I think I gave Diddy the advantage cause he plays so freaking fast. Also, Sonic can't ALWAYS counter the bananas. They can always pick it up and throw it and you still trip. Peanut Gun isn't a good option in this matchup.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Sonic + items = top tier, remember that. Unexpierenced Diddy's shouldn't take out nahnurz. Only if they really know how to use it, otherwise Sonic will steal his nahnurz. If there isn't an export thread in Diddy Boards, I'll make one now

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
down air kills MK at 50. it wont kill us till substantially higher than that.

spindash goes through nanas on the ground, but thrown nanas will beat out all spin moves.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy vs sonic is the most boring, ridiculously slow, and tedious matchup you'll ever face in your life. All diddy can basically do is have a banana in his hand, and shoot peanuts and wait for sonic's spindash to approach and then punish him by tripping him. Sonic can only win this matchup with absolute perfect spacing, timing, and reaction. Using spindash mindgames is practically all sonic can do if he wants to get in close. Once you have control, sonic should get as much damage out of it as he can. If diddy makes mistakes (I know it sounds ridiculous) then sonic will punish him just as well as metaknight. Boring matchup, each match lasts 7 minutes and don't be surprised if the time runs out. This is how the matchup is at high level play, if it's any different you aren't facing a good sonic, or a good diddy kong. It's basically all both sides can do, go campy and wait for openings...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You might be right, that'll be such a lame strategy. But Sonic has to deal with campers a lot, so this won't get to Sonic. We'll just not pick FD, cause we don't need too o.O

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think Sonic dittos are slow (except CiTHs) Sonic dittos.)

I'll make a better reply later.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
: D

Learn to glide toss with Sonic. It's amazing.

Glide Toss the bananas down, pass through them, and suddenly you've created a situation where Diddy can't retreat and Sonic can try to pressure Diddy.

Don't let Diddy get control of the stage, or get into any kind of rhythm, otherwise you're going to take a lot of damage.

I can't say I know too much about the matchup though.

EDIT: We'll discuss you guys this week too

:056:

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I think Sonic dittos are slow (except CiTHs) Sonic dittos.)

I'll make a better reply later.
Yeah, it doesn't take long to own CiTH I suppose :p

Diddy is all about getting him into a position where you can punish him for taking out banana's.

Avoid grabs, but keep pressure. Play AS SMART AS POSSIBLE, without slowing down. A hard match if you're not used to it. If you grab hold of a banana. Glide toss him, charge down B and hit him as he gets up. it pops him away from the banana and you can re grab it.

Pressssssuuuuuuurrrrreeee.

:093:

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Yeah, it doesn't take long to own CiTH I suppose :p

Diddy is all about getting him into a position where you can punish him for taking out banana's.

Avoid grabs, but keep pressure. Play AS SMART AS POSSIBLE, without slowing down. A hard match if you're not used to it. If you grab hold of a banana. Glide toss him, charge down B and hit him as he gets up. it pops him away from the banana and you can re grab it.

Pressssssuuuuuuurrrrreeee.

Boxob's diddy gives me good practice. Momentum and maintaining it is key. You trip up, just once, its going to affect the match entirely in diddy's favor. Dont give him aany breathing room or time to get themselves into position for a counterattack.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You might be right, that'll be such a lame strategy. But Sonic has to deal with campers a lot, so this won't get to Sonic. We'll just not pick FD, cause we don't need too o.O
Please tell me what you can possibly do if diddy has a banana in his hand and he's waiting for you to come at him. Sonic has no horizontal projectiles, he has to approach. It's not like a power shielding situation, you just... have to approach.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Bair, SDR or SDJ if you throw something at a straight angle, Fair if you don't shield through it all (situational), Spinshot to Bair.

You're thinking a character like Diddy is a huge brickwall? I'm afraid not with Sonic my good chum.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
BASIC SHAWNIK ONLY.

YOU MUST SPINDASH AT EVERYTHING.

=============================

What are Diddy Kong's killing moves? I know a lot of them require bananur set-ups, which may be difficult against Sonic, who can actually handle them.

Lol Sonic handles banana's.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Please tell me what you can possibly do if diddy has a banana in his hand and he's waiting for you to come at him. Sonic has no horizontal projectiles, he has to approach. It's not like a power shielding situation, you just... have to approach.
SDJ (spindash jump): [downb on the ground] > [jump]
It's higher than a regular jump and has higher max airspeed.

Or just run.

Sonic players are used to approaching.

So let's say it's an offline match (****, online it never works >__<) and both players have somewhat moderate reflexes.

Sonic runs, Diddy does a retreating forward glide toss, Sonic picks it up with our patched dash attack (which picks up bananas now).

Or SH Z-catch/F-air catch.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Neither one of them can kill. Both will go at rediculously high % unless if the sonic isn't good enough and gets hit by glide tosses easy. Use the Dash attack to steal the banana's and then use them for yourself. Trying to gimp a good Diddy Kong is not a good idea because he can do a lot of crazy stuff out off the edge.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
remember what NL has in his sig from that match with M2K....

and, protip, sonic has to approach everybody

i heard somewhere that if you get diddy off the edge, jump off the edge and z drop a nana and spring, it makes a sort of gimp wall.

Tenki

Smash Hero
though, dash attack to pick up a floored banana isn't recommended if the Diddy has a banana in hand because he can just throw the banana at you during dash attack, or punish with an F-smash.

On the flip side, the same can be said for Diddy Kong as well.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Interesting opinions ChromePirate. I think quite the opposite, I think Diddy vs. Sonic is one of the most fast paced and fun matchups in the entire game. It depends on the players really. Sonic can deal with banana's better than most of the cast because of his speed and stuffies.

One thing people seem to forget about glidetosses is that their length is adjustable depending on timing, so just thought I should mention that. A Sonic with good banana control makes this 50:50 at worst.

And yes, this matchup does tend to last to ridiculously high percentages.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ask the OP, he's in Samoa though.

We really do have to talk about getting a PT and a Zelda/Sheik section though.

I'm going to go update my thread, then I'll do the write-up for all three pokeymanz here.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Diddy vs sonic is the most boring, ridiculously slow, and tedious matchup you'll ever face in your life. All diddy can basically do is have a banana in his hand, and shoot peanuts and wait for sonic's spindash to approach and then punish him by tripping him. Sonic can only win this matchup with absolute perfect spacing, timing, and reaction. Using spindash mindgames is practically all sonic can do if he wants to get in close. Once you have control, sonic should get as much damage out of it as he can. If diddy makes mistakes (I know it sounds ridiculous) then sonic will punish him just as well as metaknight. Boring matchup, each match lasts 7 minutes and don't be surprised if the time runs out. This is how the matchup is at high level play, if it's any different you aren't facing a good sonic, or a good diddy kong. It's basically all both sides can do, go campy and wait for openings...
this is not how ninjalink vs malcolm plays...

the only reason u think the matchup is boring is because u played it against blue. i watched it....he plays incredibly boring....that isnt all sonics.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
from what i hear, blue plays about 5 times campier than any other sonic out there.

ROFL@namedropping, you must search your name like all the effing time...
ego trippin, lol

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
saying that last sentence of malcolmm irl sounds weird. you want to say veeeeeeeeeeeery intruiging, but you have to say very iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnntruiging.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
YES NOW I REMEMBER. It's cause i SD'd twice, but you played terrible with Diddy. No bananas on Rainbow Cruise. Now I remember it, pick Rainbow Cruise, no nahnurz for Diddy.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
No actually i didnt search. I open SWF and i saw malcolm post so i checked. Coincidently he mentioned me :-\

Top Bottom