• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Mashi and I (and now Otis?) are the only ones who play Brawl. but for me? I'm not stuck: none of my friends want to play Melee :( watch what happens when we all actually play the game. don't get cocky because your enemies are weaker ;) everyone else just kinda stopped playing as much >_>

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Its cool Toasty, ****e does indeed happen. Uki definitly feel free to come. Just get up early or something and get that house work **** taken care of. I gotta do my ****in yard that morning so no squanders.

CStick

Smash Lord
Shaeman: just about everyone in SoVA is one of those people I was referring to. Until the beginning of last summer, the only people beating me were Ether, Cdot, and Otis. Then, just about everyone on SS xould take me down. Then, by September, just about half the players in SoVA had beaten my *** at some point. It still makes me laugh when people play me and are just sort of...disappointed, like I was going to be scary good after not playing for three months.

I'm growing out of videogames. I havent played my Xbox360 in a nearly two weeks. I've only been to two melee things since February. In six months, I've played twice. seriously...if you can't beat me, then you have some things that you really need to practice up on.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Mashi and I (and now Otis?) are the only ones who play Brawl. but for me? I'm not stuck: none of my friends want to play Melee :( watch what happens when we all actually play the game. don't get cocky because your enemies are weaker ;) everyone else just kinda stopped playing as much >_>
Shaeman puts on a facade of cockiness for the same reason Fox will laser you 50 feet away...to lure you in.

We both know that SS had its Golden Age. But I could draw parallels to M2K and Ken. When they played at MLG {Fill in the Blank} some odd years ago, Ken controlled the matches pretty much the whole time. Now M2K is one of the top players in the rankings now, but some still claim that if Ken hadnt retired, or if someone invented a magical time machine for M2K to go back to Ken's Golden Age, M2K would lose in the same way.

People who continue to develop their skills will most likely get better. Shaeman has continually developed over the past year while some others decided to join the Brawl to end them all. Nothing wrong with that, but if you drop Melee (or give it a back seat), your skills in Melee will either come to a halt for development or deteriorate. If you care for Melee so much, then train.

There is no way that I can believe a few months off of Melee and a new game could permanently destroy someone's skills in Melee. Seriously, its like riding a bike. Melee is worth the , oh say, 2 weeks that it might take a VERY rusty player to come back to his prime. You've already done the work that it takes to get good (so you say). So why not try to remember it all? It won't be like having to relearn a concept that you havent touched for years. It's more like continuing a study that you let rest over Summer break. You'll have a bit of review to do, but the course of all new material follows in a couple of days.

Shaeman (and I) really do want you all to get better in Melee. And I dont mean redevelop your old skills; I mean get better than your old selves. Prove what you say about his skills compared to yours, cause quite frankly I dont believe it. The top players that you name from long ago in SoVa may have been good in your eyes then, but if they stop playing it is not too hard to grow to be as good as they were and better. Ive watched the youtube videos from ascendancy and before. you guys were good, but meh...

Nava

Smash Journeyman
Ive watched the youtube videos from ascendancy and before. you guys were good, but meh...
There's always room for Melee improvement... I don't see why you can't play both, they're SO different to me that my brain completely separates them into different categories.

edit- i dunno why i quoted you either... i think i was gonna post something else, but wrote something entirely different. hahaha.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
The problem for me is that I use Marth in BOTH games.... Marth is a secondary for me... and he plays way different from one game to the next. Also, I have gotten so use to the speed of Brawl, that I react to slowly in Melee... I wanna work on that so that I can do well in both. Also, I think I actually did better in the Melee Tourney then in the Brawl Tourney.... which is really weird.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
There's always room for Melee improvement... I don't see why you can't play both, they're SO different to me that my brain completely separates them into different categories.
not quite sure y u quoted me, but I agree. Hypothetically, I believe that you can play both. But if you look at what has commonly been said about Brawl, its "physics" can and do confuse the mind and deteriorate some of the skills that people may have developed in either game. After playing Brawl for about a week, it took me about the same amount of time to stop "shield dropping" and to pick up waveshielding. The same types of things have occured all over SoVa. My point is not that you should drop Brawl, but that you should commit more to Melee. If that requires you to drop Brawl, then so be it, but if it's not worth it to you, then accept that other people may grow to be better than you.

DISCLAIMER: I am not claiming that anyone has already grown to be better than anyone else. I am addressing those who claim that they are better than others.

EDIT: I love SoVa.
But I admire people like M2K who keep up with both metagames. They show action and prove what can be. Melee is not dead. It's not like it can no longer develop. People are always improving and I feel that it's worth it's following and it should not be deferred by another game that happens to have a similar title.

toasty

Smash Hero
no comment on vids etc...especially ascendancy.

about training...look at the post you quoted.

I kinda took it back when I said Shaeman could never beat us. I corrected it and said that he "shouldn't" which was more of a mindset thing for us.

I only said for him to not get the wrong idea. Beating us now is no big deal. You SHOULD be beating us now. :)

EDIT: refer to MY post that you quoted.

When I played both games, I was good at both. But like I said, no one I know plays Melee anymore :(

CStick

Smash Lord
five bucks says Ether still silently owns soVA...but he never shows up anymore :( I may start holding fests in my garage just for melee only, since melee is taking a dive for nothing because of everyone playing brawl.

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't planning to show up to the tournament until CDot invited over to play with ndn and Mashi. Before then i only played melee a handful of times with Corey. It's honestly not hard at all to get back to the same Melee status as before, I could do most of the same old things but my fingers werent fast enough so i was really sloppy at times, but i'm sure that if i actually sat down for a few hours and just practiced like before i could work the kinks out. The main problem for me is playing really worth it to me? Sadly i've pretty much grown apart from smash all together. Incredible games but, i just feel like there's better things to invest my time into, like work, gf, other **** >.>

Saddens me how SS fell so hard when brawl came out, but those things happen. We established the SoVa, especially O-NO and Cstick without them SoVa would be a lot worse. Back then, being a SoVa smash player was pretty discouraging. Now, i think that the scene has come a lot further, aside from the *****assness of gay homo thieves. The new Brawlers have a lot of promise and are making names for themselves, so why should they go back to melee? Toasty did amazing at CH3, better than he could probably imagine if he were playing Melee. **** if i were him i'd be like, **** melee. Toasty is a goddess among men. I believe in Enver Siddiky. So the question is...

Why so serious?

Put a smile on that face!

>:} <- my joker emote

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Melee is Melee. Brawl is Brawl.

I mean it's two totally different games in my opinion. I mean I somewhat played melee and by no means considered myself a top player in sova, but even i can notice that the level of play from then and now is completely different. Hell my play in melee is completely different. I didn't play in the last melee tournament because of how bad I did in the one before that. I went two and out which is something that I would never do when I even remotely played the game. Although that's my own fault because I had my own reasons for not playing the game for like a year and a half.

I don't know about the whole SS being like gods around here though. That may have been a lil over the top. Hell I mean DragonCharlz used to consistantly place top 3 in every melee tournament around here and I placed fairly decent myself usually top 5. So SS saying that they would never lose to someone of say Shaeman's skill is completely wrong. I'm pretty sure Shaeman is better than I was in melee at my prime.

Oh well enough about the melee talk I hate that game, but would play it again if the money was right.

It's brawl baybee.

It's funny how nobody really steps up when it comes to brawl. I mean it's basicall Kadaj, Toasty, and Me taking the top spots. I mean JWolf too when he decideds to not squander and actually come to tournaments lol. Please people I want SoVA to be a force in the brawl community. Please somebody give me a challenge and try to take us out of our top spots. I don't feel like sandbagging anymore until i end up playing one of the people i mentioned above.

Edit- Shaeman how do you know miskitty?

toasty

Smash Hero
Toasty did amazing at CH3, better than he could probably imagine if he were playing Melee. **** if i were him i'd be like, **** melee. Toasty is a goddess among men. I believe in Enver Siddiky.
you might be on to something. (and thanks)

truthfully: I almost didn't enter Melee teams OR singles on saturday. I only did it to support the scene.

I probably won't enter Melee tourneys anymore. Unless there is no Brawl present and I can focus on Melee *looks at Cstick* :)

so ANYWAY. Have fun tomorrow, everyone. August 9th should be the bomb. and so should Jubilee :)

Nava

Smash Journeyman
The problem for me is that I use Marth in BOTH games.... Marth is a secondary for me... and he plays way different from one game to the next. Also, I have gotten so use to the speed of Brawl, that I react to slowly in Melee... I wanna work on that so that I can do well in both. Also, I think I actually did better in the Melee Tourney then in the Brawl Tourney.... which is really weird.
That's a good point. I guess that's why I don't even touch Peach in Brawl.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
That's a good point. I guess that's why I don't even touch Peach in Brawl.
yeah. i have that feeling with some chars.
my peach in brawl is better than my peach in melee.

toasty said the same thing sometime ago when he said he wasn't using his melee chars in brawl.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
So Kahlil and I did a mock-tourney today testing the bracket with computers and heres the results:

1. Don's friend (Luigi)
2. Dobee (Kirby)
3. Evan (Falco)
4. Don (DK)
5. Whodat? (Olimar)
5. 7 (Samus)
7. Slash (Falco)
7. Kadaj (Marth)
9. Toasty (ROB)
9. Jwolf (TLink)
9. nick (Pit)
9. corey (Wolf)
13. Mashi (DDD)
13. Serpent (G&W)
13. Josh (ROB)
13. Uki (lucas)

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
wait what?
so you guys...pitted comps against each other as those peoples characters and those were the results?

ps. check my sig. finally got a photobucket

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Melee is Melee. Brawl is Brawl.

I mean it's two totally different games in my opinion. I mean I somewhat played melee and by no means considered myself a top player in sova, but even i can notice that the level of play from then and now is completely different. Hell my play in melee is completely different. I didn't play in the last melee tournament because of how bad I did in the one before that. I went two and out which is something that I would never do when I even remotely played the game. Although that's my own fault because I had my own reasons for not playing the game for like a year and a half.

I don't know about the whole SS being like gods around here though. That may have been a lil over the top. Hell I mean DragonCharlz used to consistantly place top 3 in every melee tournament around here and I placed fairly decent myself usually top 5. So SS saying that they would never lose to someone of say Shaeman's skill is completely wrong. I'm pretty sure Shaeman is better than I was in melee at my prime.

Oh well enough about the melee talk I hate that game, but would play it again if the money was right.

It's brawl baybee.

It's funny how nobody really steps up when it comes to brawl. I mean it's basicall Kadaj, Toasty, and Me taking the top spots. I mean JWolf too when he decideds to not squander and actually come to tournaments lol. Please people I want SoVA to be a force in the brawl community. Please somebody give me a challenge and try to take us out of our top spots. I don't feel like sandbagging anymore until i end up playing one of the people i mentioned above.

Edit- Shaeman how do you know miskitty?
Oh man whodat don't even act like our tourney match couldn't have gone both ways lol. I think I do pretty well for someone who mains a character who everyone swears is garbage. I don't really aim to win, I just like to place well, and every tourney I get better. If you really want though, I would be happy to take your top spot lol. BTW come to my tourney tomorrow and don't squander.

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea, see those results? Its a sign! Everyone be on the look out for my nameless friend, hes gonna whoop some *** tomorrow!

Lol, seriously though were both looking forward to some good matches tomorrow.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Yeah tomorrow is gonna be cool. I didn't know your friend's name lol. Oh yeah and if you and/or your friend could bring wii's for the tourney that would be awesome Don.

toasty

Smash Hero
Omg. Omg. Omg.

I have good news and bad news.

Hi Score doesn't care if we do only Brawl, singles and doubles. They don't care how we break down the prize payouts.

Here's the bad news: the tournaments have to be completed in 4-5 hours.

Like Serpent said: they're terrible at business. They don't seem to understand volume and they don't seem to understand how the venue is actually growing. More people are going to these tourneys than usual...there's absolutely no way this can be completed in that short amount of time :( They say that the 10 dollar venue fee was not a sufficient cover for the last Hi Score tournament.

I think this could be problematic :(

Also.

KF please give me an update (ask Jeff).

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Can ANYONE get ahold of Ether I need to talk to em.

Toasty: do you know how long the combo vids got left till its done? I don't want to rush you or anything just asking. Also we should play A LOT more brawl.

To every1 that's loves melee (I do to but I just have an unexplanable urge to be good at brawl. If you went to CH3 you would probably understand a little more as to why I love brawl) there's nothing wrong with it but wether or not ppl realize it melee is slowly decreasing I still like to play from time to time but that's just me I love smash in general I can play the 1st all day long lol.
I'm just saying for the ones who would rather play melee I know were your coming from belive it or not I wasn't too fond of brawl when it 1st came out I think the reason for that is being frustrated and not wanting to relearn all of the physics for a fairly new but similar game title. Its cool tho to each its own I guess...

Lol as a final consensus all I can say is play more brawl. J\K

But whatever you play brawl or melee listen to the words that inspire me
"Be Better- TA Clay Cooter motto"

A lot of this is moslty bcuz I'm board lol

D0N

Smash Ace
I doubt my friend will bring his wii but im bringin mine tomorrow for sure.

Toasty I stole your post and made it my sig for now. hope you dont mind lol.

CStick

Smash Lord
But I admire people like M2K who keep up with both metagames. They show action and prove what can be. Melee is not dead. It's not like it can no longer develop. People are always improving and I feel that it's worth it's following and it should not be deferred by another game that happens to have a similar title.
Melee isnt dead, but it is dying in SoVA. We had some 13 or so people or whatever enter melee singles last week - despite prior notice for people to take off and show up at HiScore's venue. Back when there was a real SoVA scene, we would have turnouts of 30+ when we WERE JUST HAVING PRACTICE SESSIONS. I guess that is where the problem lies: we need everyone to come back to melee, but that doesnt seem to be happening. Phuck it... *goes to play CoD4* at least I'm still good at one game >.> <.<

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Can ANYONE get ahold of Ether I need to talk to em.

Toasty: do you know how long the combo vids got left till its done? I don't want to rush you or anything just asking. Also we should play A LOT more brawl.

To every1 that's loves melee (I do to but I just have an unexplanable urge to be good at brawl. If you went to CH3 you would probably understand a little more as to why I love brawl) there's nothing wrong with it but wether or not ppl realize it melee is slowly decreasing I still like to play from time to time but that's just me I love smash in general I can play the 1st all day long lol.
I'm just saying for the ones who would rather play melee I know were your coming from belive it or not I wasn't too fond of brawl when it 1st came out I think the reason for that is being frustrated and not wanting to relearn all of the physics for a fairly new but similar game title. Its cool tho to each its own I guess...

Lol as a final consensus all I can say is play more brawl. J\K

But whatever you play brawl or melee listen to the words that inspire me
"Be Better- TA Clay Cooter motto"

A lot of this is moslty bcuz I'm board lol
I will address you in the order marked above in your response:
Urge to be good at Brawl: I have the same urge to be good at Melee. I guess they can cancel eachother out.

Whether or not we realize, melee is decreasing: what do you think I have been trying to say for the past few pages? I KNOW that melee is dying. I hate it. not because im a stubborn little boy, but because logic phails as the one game that brought all of us together, perpetuated SWF, had its metagame evolve extraordinarily over the past 7-8 years, put out thousands of dollars in tourney payout, make friendships spanning across the country and even the globe, encouraged people to study and even employ the scientific method to find out frame data, comboability, and other exploit possibilities, etc. is taking a back seat to a game that has proven to bore half of the Melee players and not be nearly as addictive as Melee was when we all got the game upon its release. It's CLEARLY not as good as Melee in ANY respect, yet it's dividing the ENTIRE melee scene and ultimately destroying it. I'm pretty sure we ALL realize the Melee scene is "decreasing" that's the whole **** problem.

Reason for being frustrated is having to learn new physics: No. As an avid smasher, I knew that picking up Brawl would be a hassle, but I embraced it. In no way could a game that was delayed like 3 times and that was discussed at its conception as the one game that would top melee not be worth learning and mastering despite a few differences from Melee; so I thought. No. This isnt the reason at all. I dropped any attempts at playing Brawl in a competitive way after it wore me down. Shaeman could tell you about my optimism for the game when it first came out. I was the first to say "We can play both games well; we just have to practice both. Don't worry, It'll be worth it when the metagame evolves enough to have tournament validity." WRONG. No one else convinced me to dislike, no, disdain Brawl. Brawl failed me. It wasn't fun. Period. I have fun playing Soul Calibur, 3S, MVC2, T5, etc. I SUCK AT THOSE GAMES!!! But theyre fun as hell to learn and I know that they have lasted the test of time because there are many "pro" players who keep it at its best. Sound like Melee to you? But what has Brawl done for the Smash competitive scene? Again, it has divided it and actually deterred many of Smash's premier players from ever again competitively picking up a GCN controller. Any game that actually LOSES its series' following is unworthy of competitive play. "Oh but look at statistics; a lot of the pros play Brawl"--->> MONEYZ, TITLEZ! That doesnt mean they place Brawl before Melee, however...take a look at M2K's MySpace where he rants about the horror of Brawl and addresses the dying Smash community. (Yes i refer to M2K a lot; he's too good)

Play more Brawl: Lulz

Be better: earlier i encouraged everyone to be better at both games (idk y it matters, I'm just PMSing)

I'm not picking on Maverick, but he pretty much addressed all of my beef in an orderly fashion.

EDIT: This post is MTTB

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I want to play some Brawl with some peeps before the HiScore tournament, I need to get better so I can take over the Central Florida scene when I go down there for college. Would anyone in VA Beach be willing to host? I'm out of the way of everyone and my parents probably wouldn't let me host anything.

I don't know if you guys are playing with each other often, but I want to get it on that. Besides playing with friends, I've only use my G&W 4 times with other people (2 Hiscore-very few friendlies, 2 days at CH), and Snake once. That's bad.

rhan

Smash Hero
Wow I go three days away from the boards and I miss out in so much. :(

Any who, Rob and I are coming up to the tourney tomorrow. We're ready to play some Brawl.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I want to play some Brawl with some peeps before the HiScore tournament, I need to get better so I can take over the Central Florida scene when I go down there for college. Would anyone in VA Beach be willing to host? I'm out of the way of everyone and my parents probably wouldn't let me host anything.

I don't know if you guys are playing with each other often, but I want to get it on that. Besides playing with friends, I've only use my G&W 4 times with other people (2 Hiscore-very few friendlies, 2 days at CH), and Snake once. That's bad.
are you by any chance going to fullsail?

The Fear

Smash Cadet
I still remeber that SS vs hampton PSC crew battle(daydreaming). ****** Epic. To bad SS's power level took a hit in brawl, or else I would recommend a rematch, I like brawl, but my heart never transcended from melee to brawl.

CStick

Smash Lord
I just realized something.

So, how often has everyone been playing smash? Not just melee, but brawl. I mean, look back and compare the months of last November and December of melee to...well, the past seven months of 2008 for ALL smash.

In November/December, we had like four Otis tourneys, four CNU get-togethers, a couple retro room times, two Ether's apartment tourneys, two Nacho Nights at Toasty's, like...three Tope tourneys, and we all drove up to two different C3s. That was like 20 fests, etc. in two months. The summer before that was more or less the same in activity. Then, there were a couple things in January. But, by February, **** started dying. People were all like "phuck melee, son! Brawl is coming out! Get ready n1ggaz! lolololol Dedede son!" Then, brawl comes out. And you know what happened? Everyone stopped playing smash in general.

IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS, THERE HAS BEEN ONLY LIKE EIGHT FESTS/TOURNEYS!

the two main things that caused this IMO were brawl not being Melee 2, and Otis having to cut off the O-NO SSSSS's. With that came a sharp decline in interest in playing smash. I'm probably a testament to that. I've only TOUCHED a gamecube controller three times in the past five months.

So, to the point. Someone needs to step up and try and fill in the gap left by the absence of Otis' fests.

I have a garage that can fit eight TVs. I live but five minutes away from Otis' place. It'll be hot in the garage, but I don't have my own place, nor do I have parental permission to throw **** in my house. I could also try and throw bi-weekly/monthly tourneys. I have yet to do a Garage Smash tourney this year yet, but it isn't out of the question. I would charge a cheaper venue (i.e. one dollar per person that goes to my Dad, as usual, for electricity lol). I would try and do as much melee and brawl as possible. I was able to run a 30-man tourney in eight hours, doing teams, singles pools and top 16 bracket, AND an actual crews tourney last time. I'm sure I could fit brawl singles and teams in place of a crew tourney. The downside is that there is never alot of room in my garage after everything is set up, plus the heat, and the fact that friendlies sessions are few and far between.

But, I can easily not do a tourney and just hold practice sessions/fests without worrying about any crowding. No entry fee, no venue fee, just practice time until I tell everyone to GTFO. Who would be up for helping out? I could supply one TV myself, but would need at least a couple more TVs for it to work. Keep in mind that I would like both games to get equal play time. No six TVs for brawl and two TVs for melee bull****.

Top Bottom