• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spadefox's MYM4 Story Mode - The 13th Hour ~ It's over, it's done... moving on.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Very interesting Spade.

Some of the situations were pretty cool. Like those with Ayn watching the characters, or the very odd team of heroes and villains fighting the team of heroes.

~Cruxis~

Smash Ace
Great chapter. I can't wait until I get into the crossovers for my next Act. Seeing all these cool characters in one battle makes me tingle with excitement. Dr. Cid and Kefka? Too good.

Edit: I forgotten about Doomtrain. Sick. I loved that GF

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
OMGOMGOMOG Zone Eater was epic even though I already knew about him he managed to be even more epic with those sand shifting attacks it's ten times better than my desert boss OMGOMGOMG

*pant pant*

So, moving along, This chapter brought back Oume's team and Issac's team. Nice. Very nice. And this time you managed to keep continutity without being all about one group. Another plus. I like how the teams met then went on their seperate ways instead of joining up.

So then we get to level... five? Oh my God Spadefox had more than four levels in his SSE we're all gonna die! But of course I kid, I loves me some long epic chapters!

And then we fight another boss... OMGOMGOMG Doom Train was epic even though I already knew about him he managed to be more epic with all those cool attacks it's also better ten times better than my desert boss OMGOMGOMG

*pant pant*

So, yeah, if you couldn't tell from my really long commentary, that was pretty ****ing good. Easily your best chapter. I forsee a vote for this if you can keep this up.:)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Probably one of my favorite movesets so far...
o.O

Very interesting Spade.

Some of the situations were pretty cool. Like those with Ayn watching the characters, or the very odd team of heroes and villains fighting the team of heroes.
Well, I guess I'm getting into it. ^_^

Great chapter. I can't wait until I get into the crossovers for my next Act. Seeing all these cool characters in one battle makes me tingle with excitement. Dr. Cid and Kefka? Too good.

Edit: I forgotten about Doomtrain. Sick. I loved that GF
Yea, I figured putting the 3 FF characters together would be best. And yes, I loved me some Doomtrain, too.

[insert orgasming here]
Haha, thanks. Looks like I need some time to get into writing these. :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I agree this was one of your better chapters even if I didn't fully understand a part or two -- Though that's probably due to me barely knowing any of the characters in it.:dizzy:

What I liked most about this chapter was the bosses. Zone Eater was pretty **** good, having such actually unique mechanics throughout the fight. . .But Doomtrain was epic. Perhaps the favorite boss I've seen out of any OPS (Rename your story mode that!) so far. I also like the general bad assness of the boss.:p

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I agree this was one of your better chapters even if I didn't fully understand a part or two -- Though that's probably due to me barely knowing any of the characters in it.:dizzy:
Mind telling me which parts those were? And it's only one of my better...? Aw man *kicks the ground*

What I liked most about this chapter was the bosses. Zone Eater was pretty **** good, having such actually unique mechanics throughout the fight. . .But Doomtrain was epic.
Glad you like them. I had a hard time with Doomtrain, and after having that list of attacks I gave him, I thought I should let it be, since he already is in favor of the place - you have to coordinate yourself to his upper half, hit him, and then dodge his few attacks, as well... I think he's hard enough as it is with the few attacks. You approving of him makes me sigh in relief.

OPS (Rename your story mode that!)
No, I want other people outside of MYM understand what that thread is about, too.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Mind telling me which parts those were? And it's only one of my better...? Aw man *kicks the ground*
I suppose it'd be a better wording to say it was one of your best. Don't take everything from me so harshly.:p My reputation of being so is really badly exaggerated.

Nothing in particular was hard to understand once I turned my brain on now that I actually think back over it. . .Except that the characters seem to dispel their conflicts between each other really quickly and aren't really being that forced to work together. The main culprits of this are Cid and Kefka at the start joining up, Cid and Kefka joining Oume's group, as well as Isaac's group fighting Oume's group then Ilyana and Callil going over to them afterwards.

That's really all I've got though.:p The characters just seem to not have much motive to join up is all.

I loved the chapter. Isn't that obvious? Don't take this negatively. :ohwell: Klump and Krusha's personnal screen time was good, you much better displayed Krusha's stupidity.:bee: Also can't get over Cactaur's "O.O" face.

Glad you like them. I had a hard time with Doomtrain, and after having that list of attacks I gave him, I thought I should let it be, since he already is in favor of the place - you have to coordinate yourself to his upper half, hit him, and then dodge his few attacks, as well... I think he's hard enough as it is with the few attacks. You approving of him makes me sigh in relief.
I had more then approval of Doom Train, I have massive support of it. That made the chapter IMO.:chuckle:

No, I want other people outside of MYM understand what that thread is about, too.
Bah. I just went with K. Rool's OPS movement for the sake of continuity, but Story Mode actually makes a lick of sense, so I'll just change mine to that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Nothing in particular was hard to understand once I turned my brain on now that I actually think back over it. . .Except that the characters seem to dispel their conflicts between each other really quickly and aren't really being that forced to work together. The main culprits of this are Cid and Kefka at the start joining up, Cid and Kefka joining Oume's group, as well as Isaac's group fighting Oume's group then Ilyana and Callil going over to them afterwards.
Yeah I know about that. It's because those characters aren't related to each other at all. I think Cid and Kefka joining each other because of the fight with Zone Eater makes sense, but I didn't want the two heroine mages stay with the villain group around Kefka.
In my head there was a line like this: "If the enemies aren't usual monsters or rabid animals, the probably could make up allies, since they have intelligence." - I guess a character with something like honour and pride like Calill and a softhearted girl like Ilyana would want to help the injured guys, even if they were enemies. And since the others are evil, they don't care and go on... I guess that's how it was put together in my puzzling mind... :laugh:

~Cruxis~

Smash Ace
I think it is mostly because there is limited dialogue if there is any (might have missed them). Of course character development and relation is well presented when something is being said, but I say he did it well enough in the manner where there is no real speech.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This chapter was.... I'm not entirley sure what I think of it to be honest. Tell ya what, how about I do another breaking it down thing so I can actually see where I stand with this:

The Good:

-Yays, more continuity with the team. This has become a strong point with you.

-Some pretty cool levels. Like the radio tower and the Megaman X level in the beginning

-The Werewolf guy (forgot his name) was another fun boss.

-Dr. Willy does his eyebrow wiggle. Yes, that is deserving of its own mention:laugh:

The Bad:

-There really didn't seem to be any real point to this chapter at all. Okay, so Willy shows up... and? Sure, it returned us to Mach Rider's team, so that's something, but it seemed like there was no real story behind this. It was just "kill robots, kill more robots, kill even more robots..."

-2 levels in a row were "the same things with different asthetics/ more enemies". C'mon, couldn't you have had some special gimmicks when it become a city? Something.

-Willy Boss. The boss attacks themselves were fine. The problem is the arena. You mean the floating platforms on the main Warioware? So bascially you'll just be jumping straight up and down for the entire fight? Yeah, I'm sure you can agree that if that's the case it doesn't sound like much fun.

But please, don't let my longer negative comments get you down. I really don't think this was a truly bad chapter at all. Some parts were a lot of fun. I just don't feel that this lived up to the epicness of Chapters 5 and 6. Take that as you will.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Another good chapter, as it to be expected from you. :p

I'm really liking how much continuity this SM has as a whole. It makes the thing as a whole feel more like. . .It's actually going somewhere, and I like that. I was also particularly fond of Fiona and Hewie pouting to get that guy to join their team. :p

I liked the two bosses, albeit they can't match the epicness that was Doom Train. That's more Doom Train being good then them being bad though.:chuckle:

Glad to see another of my characters show their face(s), no matter how brief. That's sort of what I'm worried about, though. . .With all this continuity of constantly going back to old characters, newcomer introductions have started becoming lower in quantity. You might want to pump them out a bit faster or they'll be a couple that show up right before the endgame.:ohwell:

Then again I shouldn't be talking. My next chapter is all continuity, only featuring 1 newcomer.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Heh.

Well, don't you worry, MW, your characters will get their amount of screen time just as the others. Maybe not as much, since the villains in general are a bit lacking, but the next chapter will be featuring a completely new team. And Chapter 9 will be villains only, and not the group around Kefka, but rather the villains around Lyon. I'm not gonna spoil much, but you'll be very pleased, I guess.

Smady

Smash Master
First of all, I really liked how you made Yamazaki a big part of this chapter - also, how you parodied the fighting games he has starred in. I was smiling all the way through reading these parts.

On the chapter itself, I felt it was your best yet and the two bosses were especially delightful. Will continue to read. :)

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
Yay Marina appeared ;D

Once again, good luck with the rest. It didn't seem like much happened this chapter though.

Smady

Smash Master
Awesome Kirby chapter. The fight with Kaboola was very reminiscent of the fights I remember, nostalgia ftw. :bee:

The randomness of Chef and actually very well-described platforming areas made it memorable, though. Maybe it's just because I'm a big Kirby fan.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Another great chapter. Kawasaki was spot-on in-character. As others have said, the Kaboola boss battle was awesome, a very nice adaptation of a unique Kirby boss to Smash. I also enjoyed Cordelia, of course. This is a really good SM in general, but the bosses are the highlight, and probably the best I've read!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
*Forgives Spade for Chapter 7*

See, THIS is the kind of greatness I expected after Chapter 6. There was actually some plot to this chapter, and... oh God, here it comes...

OMGOMGOMG Kaboola is so freaking epic I'm going explode from the epicness of the uniqueness of this boss fight OMGOMGOMG

*ahem*

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
Geez, another chapter right after I comment on the previous one. I should pay attention to the main thread more.

I like the Panel thing with Cordelia and the Kaboola battle.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
As the others said, I liked Kaboola's basic mechanics very much so. . .But I feel it could use another attack or two.:dizzy:

I liked Dimentio's inclusion as being an actual main antagonist of a section and not being playable, good job with him.

Although when was Simirror an oracle or whatever with a big mansion and such? Then again my portrayal of him as a jester is pretty random too. Daroach being there all civilized and like was a bit too random IMO. It's like he's having a bloody spot of tea with Simirror. I see the top hat as more of a sign of bad assness then one of him being a gentleman.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Daroach being there all civilized and like was a bit too random IMO. It's like he's having a bloody spot of tea with Simirror. I see the top hat as more of a sign of bad assness then one of him being a gentleman.
You can blame me for that. Spade asked me about it and I gave it the green light. Reason being, Daroach isn't pure evil, he actually apologizes to Kirby at the end of Squeak Squad, so I felt that it would be possible for Daroach to be on friendly terms with people.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
As the others said, I liked Kaboola's basic mechanics very much so. . .But I feel it could use another attack or two.:dizzy:
Okay. I dare you to do the following: Go and fight Meta-Ridley ONLY being on the "beak" of the Falcon Flyer, and only use projectiles. Now you're in the situation you are in Kaboola's fight. Kaboola is a freaking hard boss as it is, with your Cracker Launcher aiming, the Star flying around randomly and only being as small as a Battlefield platform while not even being able to touch that enemy without getting halfway killed.

Although when was Simirror an oracle or whatever with a big mansion and such? Then again my portrayal of him as a jester is pretty random too. Daroach being there all civilized and like was a bit too random IMO. It's like he's having a bloody spot of tea with Simirror. I see the top hat as more of a sign of bad assness then one of him being a gentleman.
I was asking agidius if that role would fit Simirror, and he said yes. I asked HR if he was okay with Daroach being friends with Simirror and having tea with him, and he said yes. I wasn't too sure about especially Simirror's role, but their creators gave me approval. Besides I think that this loosens the whole dark scenario a little, and after the last few chapters that's pretty needed. I don't have the Brawl cast, so I have to take what I have on my MYM roster - which is Simirror, who is a mage. And I needed a way to include Daroach, too, but didn't want him to be a villain. There you go.

Edit: Not to mention the Kirby nuts (K.Rool, Smash Daddy and Kibble) didn't complain, either.

Glad you like how Dimentio came out, tho.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Okay. I dare you to do the following: Go and fight Meta-Ridley ONLY being on the "beak" of the Falcon Flyer, and only use projectiles. Now you're in the situation you are in Kaboola's fight. Kaboola is a freaking hard boss as it is, with your Cracker Launcher aiming, the Star flying around randomly and only being as small as a Battlefield platform while not even being able to touch that enemy without getting halfway killed.
Don't have to get all defensive on me.:dizzy:

It's not so much about whether the boss is challenging, I can plainly see that. . .But when you do endless boss reruns on a boss rush on intense, replaying a boss that's really prediactable can be a really boring chore as you try to get back to the one you're having trouble beating. Case in point: Petey Piranha. Not that Kaboola is anywhere near as predictable as him, but we're far above Sakurai, of course.

Though with the star moving around everywhere awkwardly, it'd still be pretty dang weird.

You're making me want to play this boss now.

*Goes off to play Meta Ridley on the tip of the Falcon Flyer as Fox using only neutral B*

I was asking agidius if that role would fit Simirror, and he said yes. I asked HR if he was okay with Daroach being friends with Simirror and having tea with him, and he said yes. I wasn't too sure about especially Simirror's role, but their creators gave me approval. Besides I think that this loosens the whole dark scenario a little, and after the last few chapters that's pretty needed. I don't have the Brawl cast, so I have to take what I have on my MYM roster - which is Simirror, who is a mage. And I needed a way to include Daroach, too, but didn't want him to be a villain. There you go.

Glad you like how Dimentio came out, tho.
God I wish I had that little chat of yours. . .I'm missing out on so much over here.:ohwell:

Well, they're not my characters, so you obviously don't have to listen to me. I honestly think Simirror was relatively fine in comparison to Daroach, as Simirror is. . .Essentially a generic enemy. You can do anything with him. Daroach actually is slightly defined. Though HR already took the heat for you, so I can't get all "up in your grill" at you for that as those ****ed kids these days would say.:chuckle:

Take what I say with a grain of salt. It's CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, Kaboola is a blimp with a cannon attached after all. I'll be honest, I couldn't think of more and thought the enemy was already difficult enough as it is.

As for Simirror and Daroach - I asked HR on AIM, not the chatroom. I did ask agi there, but if he wouldn't have been there I would of asked him via IM here on the boards. <.<"

I only can say: What happened has all been done for a reason. Read through your first post again - except you stating how you liked how Dimentio was implemented there was no other real positive statement.

Especially because this is the chapter I like how it came out the most of my whole story, and you praised even the failed Chapter 7 more than this one. ;-;

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Well, Kaboola is a blimp with a cannon attached after all. I'll be honest, I couldn't think of more and thought the enemy was already difficult enough as it is.

As for Simirror and Daroach - I asked HR on AIM, not the chatroom. I did ask agi there, but if he wouldn't have been there I would of asked him via IM here on the boards. <.<"

I only can say: What happened has all been done for a reason. Read through your first post again - except you stating how you liked how Dimentio was implemented there was no other real positive statement.

Especially because this is the chapter I like how it came out the most of my whole story, and you praised even the failed Chapter 7 more than this one. ;-;
I still don't see why chapter 7 was a "failure".

But bah. I forgot to do more praise for the chapter. I apologize for that. I didn't consider that as essential to write out - You yourself know how good your own stuff is, and there's plenty of other praise along the way from other people. If you can handle my criticsm, you've survived the storm.:p

I also liked Kaptain Skurvy's inclusion. He didn't get that much screen time what with being the last character introduced, but what was there was good, along with him being the reason the cracker launcher is even there in the first place.

And while Dimentio having his own music is good, it's a shame the Fountain of Dreams music wasn't in that battle. That's easily the best Gourmet Race remix.

And out of all the SMs, you update most often, despite having just as much material to crank out as all the other mainstream ones. You're doing a good job with this, and you're probably gonna be the first one finished.

I can't keep up with you.:p

Smady

Smash Master
This chapter was really good - I liked the entire rebellion idea and the continued relevance you place on each group. Very interesting. :)

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I love it! So all of the teams are starting to be united now I see. Looks like we're approaching the home stretch!

My Hyper_Ridley's role was awesome. Never would have thought of having him be like Lyon's dog, lol. And the scene where Tiny put the mighty space pirate's head on backwards? Pricless!:laugh: Thank god you had his battle be a parody of Meta-Ridley instead of the disgraceful normal Ridley Brawl battle, but I have one problem: The Invisible Hand is MUCH bigger than the Falcon Flyer, probably aroud the size of the Halberd. Oh well, that was just one flaw on an otherwise beautiful picture.

Yes, I did just have most of my commentary talking about Ridley. Becuase I love what you've done with my favorite video game character of all time <3

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Great chapter Spade.

Ashencroft's role was great, but I think the thing that really caught my attention was the 3 headed fox thing.. Estheris or whatever its name is. I really hope you make a moveset for that.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Best chapter. No questions asked.

The lobster boss wasn't among my favorites, but I really liked that scientist girl one. Had a good amount of unique attacks in there to make her among the more interesting of your bosses.

Everything is coming together and the villains finally get actual screen and playability time which they've lacked so far sans Ashencroft, Ridley, Dimentio (And that was just screen time), and Lyon. What you did with them was good, I liked how you had them leave Lyon yet still had some of them stay with him. . . .And oh crap, Sync's a bad guy, so that means my role in my SM screwed him over probably. Then again DarkSerenade said nothing about it in his commentary.:p

The thing that jumps out at me though. . .Is shouldn't the antagonists actually of been atagonizing throughout the meat of the game? It feels awkward they we're practically just getting introduced to several of them, literally just getting introduced in Sync's case. That and how long you left Maria and Eric without doing anything too notable with them (Granted I didn't notice, but I'm not too interested in those characters and am reading 10 SMs at once).

Obviously not much you can do about it now and what screen time you did have (Particularly Cortex's/Tiny's/Hyper Ridley's) was great, I just feel it awkward to have a good chunk of a character's screen time come so close to the end game.

*Prepares for you to rip this apart*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Best chapter. No questions asked.
Even tho I wasn't looking forward writing it - it was the scenario to get the most mistakes, and the scenario I didn't feel comfortable with. But I'm glad it turned out good.

The lobster boss wasn't among my favorites, but I really liked that scientist girl one. Had a good amount of unique attacks in there to make her among the more interesting of your bosses.
Terapin wasn't meant to be good, tho, lol. Kyoko is one of the characters I will make in MYM5, and she will feature several of the attacks she uses in this boss fight - though she's no girl but a teacher. :laugh:

Everything is coming together and the villains finally get actual screen and playability time which they've lacked so far sans Ashencroft, Ridley, Dimentio (And that was just screen time), and Lyon. What you did with them was good, I liked how you had them leave Lyon yet still had some of them stay with him. . . .And oh crap, Sync's a bad guy, so that means my role in my SM screwed him over probably. Then again DarkSerenade said nothing about it in his commentary.:p
Yes! Mostly a villain chapter.

The thing that jumps out at me though. . .Is shouldn't the antagonists actually of been atagonizing throughout the meat of the game? It feels awkward they we're practically just getting introduced to several of them, literally just getting introduced in Sync's case. That and how long you left Maria and Eric without doing anything too notable with them (Granted I didn't notice, but I'm not too interested in those characters and am reading 10 SMs at once).
Eric and Maria were in Chapter 3 and beaten up by Lyon who then stole this one scroll from the chateau they were in. I was trying to implement them sooner again, but I didn't have a good chance until now.

Obviously not much you can do about it now and what screen time you did have (Particularly Cortex's/Tiny's/Hyper Ridley's) was great, I just feel it awkward to have a good chunk of a character's screen time come so close to the end game.
Oh, I still have 4 characters who aren't even introduced yet. :laugh:
I'm though trying to give every character their importance - it isn't easy to do that with a big roster of over 50 characters (if you count in Ayn and Esheris, I have exactly 55). The thing is, if you have only a small thread of plot planned out when you start writing, you can only do just as much. The actual plot was started and created somewhen in between Chapter 3 and 4. Characters whom I wasn't able to implement until now of course suffer from this, now, but I'm still trying to give everyone certain screentime. :psycho:

*Prepares for you to rip this apart*
*bites*

@Chris, Smash Daddy, Pelikinesis & Hyper_Ridley:
Thanks for reading and commenting, everyone. ^_^

Smady

Smash Master
This chapter was good, I enjoyed the sections with Mach Rider and the ever colourful cutscene interactions between the characters. Keep up the good work. :chuckle:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I honestly thought the better parts of this SM were earlier on with Sam protecting his sleeping comrades and Mach Rider going across the shattering bridge. Those level designs were interesting, and I also liked the last level with the various rooms to exploer.

*Has been Rick Roll'd*

The only thing I was somewhat disapointed with was the bosses, as the last two felt rather similiar to each other, sharing a couple attacks, though that's probably due to their similiar builds. You still gave them plenty of unique attacks anyway.

I'm staying tuned NEXT TIME for the EXCITING CONCLUSION!

Top Bottom