• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spadefox's MYM4 Story Mode - The 13th Hour ~ It's over, it's done... moving on.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Whoa, Chapter 10. That was a pleasant surprise.

The level with Sam protecting his team was cool, though perhaps the teammates should have more than 20HP, unless it's supposed to be insanley hard.

Dark Morph was a cool boss. I liked how he had three forms, and the first two had set hits like a tradidtional platforming boss. Snow dragon gets a thumbs up from me since I actually know who he is.

Awww, only two more chapters?:(

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Hyper Ridley pretty much beat me to my comment.

At any rate, great chapter. Interesting boss battles... I certainly wish I could make bosses on your level.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
That. Was. Awesome!

Where to begin... first off, I loved the comet observatory level with the flashlight. I liked seeing a pure platforming level. Mario Galaxy in 2-d was another neat gimmick. I liked how you incoroporated all of the various Mario stuff together like Rainbow Road, it really felt natural how all the worlds came together. King Kaliente was a much better boss than that stupid octopus deserves, you've shown me that background bosses can work in smash.:)

And then we get to the ocean segments. Ah, ocean levels, I had high expectations for this part considering your love for this theme, and you did not dissapoint. The low gravity gimmick helped make this feel like a true water level, kudos to you. I LOLed at the first water boss when I realized that the giant dragon was on your side and we were actually fighting bloddsucking starfish.

And then we get to level... wait, hold on a minute, is this thing going on for more than 6 levels? Who do you think you are, me?:laugh:

Ursula was a fun concept for a boss character. The battle itself wasn't ZOMG EPIC, but still a nice fun boss that I wouldn't mind playing every so often, which is all I really need from a boss, fun.

You've come a long way in writing Story Modes since your prolouge, Spade. I look fowards to seeing how this thing comes to an end.:)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Thanks for reading. ^-^

Where to begin... first off, I loved the comet observatory level with the flashlight. I liked seeing a pure platforming level. Mario Galaxy in 2-d was another neat gimmick. I liked how you incoroporated all of the various Mario stuff together like Rainbow Road, it really felt natural how all the worlds came together. King Kaliente was a much better boss than that stupid octopus deserves, you've shown me that background bosses can work in smash.:)
YOU gave me the idea of Kaliente, so don't complain. lol

Glad you liked the ideas... I thought Rainbow Road would just perfectly fit for Rosalina and co. going down to the planet, so...

And then we get to the ocean segments. Ah, ocean levels, I had high expectations for this part considering your love for this theme, and you did not dissapoint. The low gravity gimmick helped make this feel like a true water level, kudos to you. I LOLed at the first water boss when I realized that the giant dragon was on your side and we were actually fighting bloddsucking starfish.
Heheh... Glad you like 'em... Although I think they seem a bit uninspired, but underwater there's as much you can do. :x

And then we get to level... wait, hold on a minute, is this thing going on for more than 6 levels? Who do you think you are, me?:laugh:
*whistle*

Ursula was a fun concept for a boss character. The battle itself wasn't ZOMG EPIC, but still a nice fun boss that I wouldn't mind playing every so often, which is all I really need from a boss, fun.
Of course, having a witch who doesn't do much in the movie she appears in as a boss wouldn't be the epicness of a Hitoderon who pretty much is one of the most unique concepts ever. :x

You've come a long way in writing Story Modes since your prolouge, Spade. I look fowards to seeing how this thing comes to an end.:)
I still think yours is the best. <3

Smady

Smash Master
The observatory scenes were classic and I loved the Octopus boss, you also yet again prove you can hold together the cast in the latter part of the chapter. Good work. :)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Glad you included J2 as I requested. Him being with Wiz as Rosalina's helper worked out quite nicely IMO, and you still managed to give him a good few levels and even a boss to himself (Okay, with Wiz, but that's not the point. They wern't in one of the main groups at that point). Good job! While Rosalina didn't get any individual playable time, I liked the emphasis you put on her in the cutscenes. Also lol at CJ1 as a generic enemy. Good job.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Thanks for reading. And you're welcome... It gave me the opportunity to mend another small theme with the Underwater one, and introduce the other 2 characters from the creators who haven't been mentioned on the roster so far.

Now... The endgame's approaching. *cracks knuckles*

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Okay, hows about I break down my commentary boss by boss?

Five Fallen Warriors - The concept itself is pure win. And thankfully you justified it being a "boss" fight by buffing the characters' stats. My only real gripe is that I was hoping there would be a little more to it than just "fight the 5 cut Melee characters", but even then it's still epic.

Proxy - Okay, I kinda wished you had said which part of the boss was called by that name, becuase it made it confusing for some attacks like Shadow Breath. Otherwise, I liked the concept with his big living shadow, it reminds me of Gecko Moria in MYM3.
But Proxy's totally inferior to my own shadowy wolf demon monster boss in Playing God =D

Brauner - It's Brauner. I know his attacks since he's in my own SM. They're awesome. Next!

Patchouli - I liked this boss. She had some cool attacks. Loved the bubble attack. That 5% health attack makes Tabbu look like a sissy, lol.

Bloody Mary - Another fun boss. Particularly I like the mask throwing attack. And the jewel shield (lol Megaman 9) seems like an interesting concept.

So overall, I like this chapter. I love bosses, and this chapter was full of them. It didn't quite have the epicness of Chapter 11, but that's probably because you're saving the epic stuff for THE GRAND FINALE!!!! So, I can't wait to see how this thing ends ^_^.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Okay, hows about I break down my commentary boss by boss?

Five Fallen Warriors - The concept itself is pure win. And thankfully you justified it being a "boss" fight by buffing the characters' stats. My only real gripe is that I was hoping there would be a little more to it than just "fight the 5 cut Melee characters", but even then it's still epic.
Like what?

Proxy - Okay, I kinda wished you had said which part of the boss was called by that name, becuase it made it confusing for some attacks like Shadow Breath. Otherwise, I liked the concept with his big living shadow, it reminds me of Gecko Moria in MYM3.
But Proxy's totally inferior to my own shadowy wolf demon monster boss in Playing God =D
Proxy is both. But I said in the introduction that only the shadow attacks and the host is standing around doing nothing except for walking or jumping. ¬¬

Brauner - It's Brauner. I know his attacks since he's in my own SM. They're awesome. Next!
\o/

Patchouli - I liked this boss. She had some cool attacks. Loved the bubble attack. That 5% health attack makes Tabbu look like a sissy, lol.
Tabuu IS a sissy, ain't he?

Bloody Mary - Another fun boss. Particularly I like the mask throwing attack. And the jewel shield (lol Megaman 9) seems like an interesting concept.
If someone ripped off the Jewel Shield then it was Megaman 9 from the game Mary is from, cause that thing is directly taken from the game. =P

So overall, I like this chapter. I love bosses, and this chapter was full of them. It didn't quite have the epicness of Chapter 11, but that's probably because you're saving the epic stuff for THE GRAND FINALE!!!! So, I can't wait to see how this thing ends ^_^.
Well, it was supposed to be the set-up for the said GRAND FINALE. I thought it'd be best to make a cliffhanger for the second part, especially because I want to make the two bosses which will end Chapter 12 really thought out and good.

Not to mention that I really should work on movesets. So much time got into the Story Mode lately.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
This new chapter was epic, Spade.

The puzzle level, the 5 fallen characters, Brauner. Those were only a few of the noteworthy things in this chapter.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I found Proxy to stand out the most of the bosses a good deal. I liked how the host was the meat that had to be attacked but the shady spirit was the actual threat, and I also liked his nighttime attack. Most of the levels wern't that in-depth, but I did like the library level Rosalina's group had to go through what with the alphabetical sorting of the books. The others bosses were good, but can't compete with the greatness that is Proxy. . .Although I wouldn't call a brawl against the cut Melee Veterans that much of a "boss", and it felt kind of random. Then again, the appearance of most of the bosses are decently random, so. . .*Shrug*. In any case, it's good to see all the characters finally having come together and there was a nice slew of bosses to go with it.

The only thing that sticks out as something that could be criticsm is that you don't try to give much screen time to the characters in cutscenes, just keeping it to what's brief and necessary. . .It keeps the SM from being tl;dr like mine, but I feel it's done somewhat excessive in this particular chapter where it's rare that a character gets mentioned beyond the fact that they're present.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I really enjoyed that part Spadefox. I mean, it's not like I totally forgot about SM's and I didn't have to read yours from the beginning again to get a proper feel for the story.
:bee:

Anyway, that last part was great, especially the Main Entrance section, but that may have something to do with the fact that I like seeing levels or characters from classic games fit into the SM.

The only thing that I can say that I didn't really like is the number of bosses for just 1 part of the chapter, but you did manage them very well, so congratulations on that.

All in all, I really enjoyed this part, and I hope the lack of major plot development in this part is to set the stage for a grand finale.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@Kholdstare and Chris:
Thankoo for readin.

I really enjoyed that part Spadefox. I mean, it's not like I totally forgot about SM's and I didn't have to read yours from the beginning again to get a proper feel for the story.
:bee:
=O

Anyway, that last part was great, especially the Main Entrance section, but that may have something to do with the fact that I like seeing levels or characters from classic games fit into the SM.
Heh, yea... I wanted to include something like that for a long time now. I guess it makes only sense for the Castlevania nut to put in a Castlevania stage.

The only thing that I can say that I didn't really like is the number of bosses for just 1 part of the chapter, but you did manage them very well, so congratulations on that.
A boss for every group. Easy, no?

All in all, I really enjoyed this part, and I hope the lack of major plot development in this part is to set the stage for a grand finale.
Heehee. The Grand Finale is very close indeed. The plot developed just into all the characters coming together for the last battle, so to say.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Like what?
Like, maybe you could have made-up final smashes for all the characters? Then it would even feel like a "boss" descritpion as there would be a listing of the final smashes like a boss move set.

Proxy is both. But I said in the introduction that only the shadow attacks and the host is standing around doing nothing except for walking or jumping. ¬¬
I must have missed that part. Sorry...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Like, maybe you could have made-up final smashes for all the characters? Then it would even feel like a "boss" descritpion as there would be a listing of the final smashes like a boss move set.

I must have missed that part. Sorry...
Hmm... Well... probably. But meh. It's too late now.

And it's okay. ^^

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Have you looked at the list of characters on certain groups? Have you? ¬¬
I know it's hard, but it's not impossible. If you want an example of how I personally do it, look at chapter 7 in my SM, the water levels. I give everybody something to do in a cutscene when they're in a larger group, then I have the level start. I even admit at one point in the actual SM text that the only point I'm going on and on is so everybody gets screen time.:p

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
More bosses? Oh yes. OH YES! Make Your Boss 4.0 FTW!

Okay, so Demon King. I was able to figure out that he was essentuially possesing Lyon and was using the artifacts he stole to be freed or whatever. So good, there was a point to the crap Lyon was doing. The boss itself was decently entertaining, though I think my favorite part about him was his appearance. Was he the final boss of Lyon's game?

Next, T1m3 Rep@l-l!!! Okay, let's get the negative out of the way first, shall we? I could not understand the reason why we were fighting him. Was he Demon King's second form? Summoned by Demon King to avenge him? Summoned by Esheris as a secret weapon? But then again, his entire point in his own game was "I come from the future ten thousand years hence". Yeaaahhh... So, on the GOOD side, he was a much more interesting boss than Demon King. Gotta love Earthquake!

And then... OMG Esheris was behind it...the...whole...time?

Yes, you see, here's my problem: I see absolutley no point in why he's suddenly the main villian. No thought bubbles, no epic speeches about how he was leading Lyon into a trap to collect all of the Demon King's power for himself, nothing. Just "RAR I'm so strong look at me!" and then everyone dies besides Aeon (I love how his epic return is paired with his move set posting BTW). Even a narration commentary giving a brief blurb would have made me content.

Yeah, sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but that's just the way I felt about this chapter. Everyone else will just say a generic "Liek totally best chapter evar" and I bet half the time those people haven't even read a decent amount of the stuff in there and just want to see their character be glorified. I don't want to give generic praise, I want to be honest with you. I want to help you imrpove. I know if I screwed up in Playing God, you'd be one of the first to let me know.

So, don't think of it as bashing. Think of what I'm saying as some things to take note of for the inevitable Spadefoxian SM for MYM5.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
100th comment! Edit: not. . .

Good to see the 54 characters finally all being together, and I liked the two additional boss fights, particularly the Time Reaper. Kind of ironic that your most deadly boss so far has the same basic scythe swing as mine, no? :chuckle: Now Aeon will finally get his chance to shine and we'll figure out just what the whole point of this thing was. . .

At this point though, I'm just wondering what Lyon was trying to accomplish the whole time. . .

But hopefully all questions should be answered in the EXCITING CONCLUSION!:chuckle:

Edit: And. . .Looks like HR beat me to the explanation on Lyon's actions.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@HR:
Demon King was possessing Lyon, that is correct.

You could've spared all that ranting if you would've asked me... "Will the reasons be revealed?". Then I would've said: "Yes, in the beginning of Chapter 13, so just wait for it."

What the sense was with the artifacts, what role the Time Reaper and Demon King played, why Lyon was possessed and what Esheris has to do with the whole thing and why he is the main villain.

Oh, and... I never announced a SM for MYM5, and I don't intend on doing one unless I get suddenly a really GREAT idea.

@MW:
Thank you for your comment... I hope Chapter 13 will be climatic enough.

@Tanookie:
Thanks for readin/commenting.

Smady

Smash Master
This chapter was really good with all the bosses, they were all diverse and interesting, although it didn't allow for much development. However, seeing as this is coming to a close, I'm more concerned about that then the penultimate chapter anyways - I look forward to seeing how you handle it. :chuckle:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Well done Spadefox, well done indeed.

:)

This ending surpassed many levels of awesome, and is easily my favourite chapter in any SM up to now, so well done. You ended this SM on a high note, as it would have been impossible for you to top that finale. Chapter 12 may have not been epic, and just a few bosses with somewhat limited story progression, this chapter just blows all that away.

Seriously, I'm actually unsure of what else to say, so thank you for making it, and I hope you got as much enjoyment out of it as me.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
First, I know you were a little concerned about this being anti-climactic. Let me assure you, it wasn't! :)

I think my favorite part was Separated Esheris. A normal battle is given, and a super-form battle is predictable, but I have to admit that caught me by surprise. That and Trelmarxian. . .is just plain weird/creepy/cool/something, which is weird/creepy/cool/something. :grin:

And also, as a final note, I loved the music selections!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Okay, so I can forgive you for chapter 12's non-plot, as you actually explained everything in the opening scene of this one. And you actually incorporated that into the game too as a cut scene! I loved how the MYM3 move sets were being slaughtered by Lyon (Or should I say Demon King?), we've all come so far since MYM3, including you. ^_^

And then we get... a non-great-maze final level! Wheeee! I liked how they were souls to collect instead of trophies, gets this SM further seperated from Sakurai's crud, yes?

And then we get to the final boss......

Okay, so right off the bat, I <3 Esheris for the three heads mechanic and how they all have different attack types. One was all about weapons (Sword Wave FTW!), one was about elemental magic, and the last one was all sadistic poison stuff. Good fun. Some attacks weren't super-interesting, but overall the battle itself was just plain awesomeness!

Yay, I beat the ga- OH. MY. GOD! That was pretty much my reaction to seeing that THING that Esheris changed into. Esheris is teh too bigz! Normally I'm not a fan of always seeing "RAR" giant monsters as the final boss, but in this case you actually pulled it off.:)

BUT WAIT! That isn't the final battle! Okay, now I'm just freaked out, but in a good way. So the final boss is a dog that looks like some rich gentleman, a dog with a super-fighting-robot suit, and a...dog...I think. I'm going to have nightmares about Trel... Anyways, the split-Esheris was good fun, and it would probably be an enjoyable final battle if I could play the game for real (Sakurai! Make game! NOW!) And of course, I <3 you for using Sonic Unleashed's final boss theme for the final battle.

Okay, so we finally get to the ending, right? No secret forth form? Good. Now then, I like that Ayn actually did someting in the ending (heck, he IS the ending), it justified including him in the story. I liked how you made the soul collecting actually have a reason for being tied to the ending, too many games just have some arbitray thing to decide that. The endings were decently interesting, at least there was closure, so I give it a thumbs-up. Though I did like the whole "Ayn becomes Aeon's succesor" thing at the end.

So I guess...that's it...I'm done. If there's anything I truly don't like about this chapter, it's that there won't be any more after it. :laugh: It was an epic ending to an epic Story Mode. So, congratulations on being the first one to finish one a SM in MYM4, and don't be surprised if one of the votes for you in the final tally is from me.;)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
First of all, thanks for reading and commenting, you guys. ^.^

This ending surpassed many levels of awesome, and is easily my favourite chapter in any SM up to now, so well done. You ended this SM on a high note, as it would have been impossible for you to top that finale. Chapter 12 may have not been epic, and just a few bosses with somewhat limited story progression, this chapter just blows all that away.
Wow...Never thought it'd end up that awesome... Glad you liked it, though. ^_^

Seriously, I'm actually unsure of what else to say, so thank you for making it, and I hope you got as much enjoyment out of it as me.
Hahaha... Yea, at some times it was frustrating, but in the end, I think it paid off. Thank you for reading and liking.

_________

First, I know you were a little concerned about this being anti-climactic. Let me assure you, it wasn't! :)
Thank God!! :bee:

I think my favorite part was Separated Esheris. A normal battle is given, and a super-form battle is predictable, but I have to admit that caught me by surprise. That and Trelmarxian. . .is just plain weird/creepy/cool/something, which is weird/creepy/cool/something. :grin:
I first thought of making Normal-Separated-Giant, but then I thought that'd be to cliche, so I changed! And it seems, for good. ^_^

And also, as a final note, I loved the music selections!
It took me long enough to decide on them. It was REALLY hard to find perfect selections out of the many choices for good Final Boss themes... I'm glad how my choices seem to be good. ^^

_________

Okay, so I can forgive you for chapter 12's non-plot, as you actually explained everything in the opening scene of this one. And you actually incorporated that into the game too as a cut scene! I loved how the MYM3 move sets were being slaughtered by Lyon (Or should I say Demon King?), we've all come so far since MYM3, including you. ^_^
I intended to leave the reader open with questions at the end of Chapter 12. And so Chapter 13 isn't all "Go collect everything. Then boss.", I think that was a great addition.

And then we get... a non-great-maze final level! Wheeee! I liked how they were souls to collect instead of trophies, gets this SM further seperated from Sakurai's crud, yes?
Heehee. I thought trophies would make little to no sense, and they weren't mentioned at all except for being goodies, so... that's that. =P

And then we get to the final boss......

Okay, so right off the bat, I <3 Esheris for the three heads mechanic and how they all have different attack types. One was all about weapons (Sword Wave FTW!), one was about elemental magic, and the last one was all sadistic poison stuff. Good fun. Some attacks weren't super-interesting, but overall the battle itself was just plain awesomeness!
Of course, some of the attacks should be "normal", too... so I guess that's that. But I'm glad he makes a good boss, and I myself thought the head-system to be uber-awesome, myself.

Yay, I beat the ga- OH. MY. GOD! That was pretty much my reaction to seeing that THING that Esheris changed into. Esheris is teh too bigz! Normally I'm not a fan of always seeing "RAR" giant monsters as the final boss, but in this case you actually pulled it off.:)
I actually ripped that idea with the hands off of the first boss in Illusion of Gaia... But of course altered. The fist attack I ripped off from Mischief Makers - pretty much directly. Other than that, it's all done by meeeeee, and I'm glad you even liked the big guy. That says something, knowing how you dislike them.

BUT WAIT! That isn't the final battle! Okay, now I'm just freaked out, but in a good way. So the final boss is a dog that looks like some rich gentleman, a dog with a super-fighting-robot suit, and a...dog...I think. I'm going to have nightmares about Trel... Anyways, the split-Esheris was good fun, and it would probably be an enjoyable final battle if I could play the game for real (Sakurai! Make game! NOW!) And of course, I <3 you for using Sonic Unleashed's final boss theme for the final battle.
<3 u 2.

Yep, Hexagon is the orange-eyed head, the mage; Eysn is the silver-eyed head, the fighter; and Trel is the green-eyed head, with being all feral and poison and stuff. I loved doing this boss because it's just a team of different guys attacking you with their barrages. =D

Okay, so we finally get to the ending, right? No secret forth form? Good. Now then, I like that Ayn actually did someting in the ending (heck, he IS the ending), it justified including him in the story. I liked how you made the soul collecting actually have a reason for being tied to the ending, too many games just have some arbitray thing to decide that. The endings were decently interesting, at least there was closure, so I give it a thumbs-up. Though I did like the whole "Ayn becomes Aeon's succesor" thing at the end.
He would have a fourth form, but Ayn stopped him. :bee:
I'm glad you like how the ending(s) came out. I thought making a touching ending in both ways would be far better than just: The End lulz.
And yes, Ayn was in that story for that sole reason to slaughter Esheris at the end. XD

So I guess...that's it...I'm done. If there's anything I truly don't like about this chapter, it's that there won't be any more after it. :laugh: It was an epic ending to an epic Story Mode. So, congratulations on being the first one to finish one a SM in MYM4, and don't be surprised if one of the votes for you in the final tally is from me.;)
Awww... <3
Thank you for lurving all over it. I still think yours is better, but I'm glad so many people came to enjoy it, and that my end was not as anti-climatic as I feared.

Thanks a REAL lot for reading and sticking with me the whole time... your praise and comments were one of the main reasons for me to keep going.

Smady

Smash Master
This ending was epic!

At first, the long explanation seemed a little jarring. I don't think you've tried anything quite like that in this SM before, but it fits, with it being an epilogue and all. You've answered any questions that may have been raised, and I feel you did it well. To be honest, I didn't really follow the story particularly well, but I respect it for being conservative and compact enough - epicness not withstanding - to be able to finish in a neat amount of time. In that and basically every other area, this SM feels complete, like no other.

Onto the bosses, they were all very good, as usual. Your boss ideas have been sublime throughout, they may just be the highlight of this SM, moreso in the later chapters. I think you sacrificed that togetherness feeling of the group near the end for the constant battles, though - I'm sure it became too big a hassle eventually, and every character pretty much had their moment, so I can forgive that and don't perceive it as a fault. Still, a post-SM catch-up on every character would have, and would always be the best way to end it, for every SM I read / have read.

The gameplay sections throughout haven't been the highlight - you had some interesting ones with Mach Rider and, well, quite a bunch of characters taking you through a characterised SM, but it did feel a little iffy with the elemental dungeons and such at times. However, you succeeded elsewhere and I doubt the gameplay of all the sections were what mattered to you, or anyone else, really. We're all here for the story and, with your story mode, encounters [bosses], anyways.

This is an absolutely solid story mode. I can't put it any better than that - it's just out there, completed, remarkably so. As well as that, it has a great personality endowed by its author, which seeps through the leaves, to the roots of the story and influences everything, with a little seriousness and heaps of humour. Definitely getting a vote from me, a favourite.

Well done.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
An excellent ending to a great Story Mode.

Your bosses were spectacular as always, and I'm amazed at the depth of Esheris.

I would have preferred that you make an epilogue chapter as well.. but thats just me.

Did you have to go and use so many things I had already planned for my SM though... (boss battle in hell, multi endings... etc.)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I liked the explanation of how everything happened considerably. Your plot was far from the most complicated out there, but it was still interesting to see the actual explanations behind everything, seeing the roles of Esheris, Aeon, the Demon King and the Time Reaper. You did a good job of explaining it all, and the reference to the top 3 MYM 3 movesets was brilliant.

. . .Not really a complaint of mine, but wasn't the final level essentially a great maze what with having to collect the souls? It was optional to go through it, but you'd still need the majority of them if you wanted to beat Esheris, no? I was just confused at HR praising you for not having a great maze.

Moving on, the boss battle was gold. Esheris' first form and the final form with the split version of him are easily the best bosses you've done what with their massive amount of cool attacks. Gotta love eclipse and sniper shot from Hexagon and Esyn in the last battle. I found it a daring move to not make the OMG BIG MONSTER the last of the bosses, but like HR I agree it was a good one, as I felt the monster version of Esheris was the least interesting by a considerable amount. Excellent job with the boss. If it wasn't obvious enough, that thing made this chapter and made the awkward chapter 12 worth it.

The only thing I don't particularly like in this chapter is the ending. It's far from something to cancel out Esheris' epicness, but it seems like more of an after thought after that grand boss battle. Ayn's role being essentially non existant before this made him destroying the "fourth form" of Esheris somewhat random. I feel the SM could've been more complete if you actually described what all the characters did in the ending to take the focus off this character we barely know.

This was Esheris' chapter without a doubt. You need to make him a moveset in MYM 5 using that head switching mechanic of his. Perhaps the three split versions of him could be the final smash? That would leave out the giant version of Esheris, but that was the least interesting phase of the guy anyway. I just know Esheris would make an excellent top contender in MYM 5 after his role here.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Alright, now that I have what I wanted (MW's comment), I'll respond here, too. First of all, thanks for reading and commenting, you guys.

This ending was epic!

At first, the long explanation seemed a little jarring. I don't think you've tried anything quite like that in this SM before, but it fits, with it being an epilogue and all. You've answered any questions that may have been raised, and I feel you did it well. To be honest, I didn't really follow the story particularly well, but I respect it for being conservative and compact enough - epicness not withstanding - to be able to finish in a neat amount of time. In that and basically every other area, this SM feels complete, like no other.
No I didn't, but I thought I should give the answers to everything which didn't seem clear - which was quite a lot: Why the Demon King and the Time Reaper were there, why Lyon was the main villain through the story, and why Esheris was the real one at the end.

Onto the bosses, they were all very good, as usual. Your boss ideas have been sublime throughout, they may just be the highlight of this SM, moreso in the later chapters. I think you sacrificed that togetherness feeling of the group near the end for the constant battles, though - I'm sure it became too big a hassle eventually, and every character pretty much had their moment, so I can forgive that and don't perceive it as a fault. Still, a post-SM catch-up on every character would have, and would always be the best way to end it, for every SM I read / have read.
I know. I just wanted to give every group something better than just some random stage(s), so I made a boss battle for every of the character groups.
Maaaaaaybe, but only maybe, I'll do an Epilogue.

The gameplay sections throughout haven't been the highlight - you had some interesting ones with Mach Rider and, well, quite a bunch of characters taking you through a characterised SM, but it did feel a little iffy with the elemental dungeons and such at times. However, you succeeded elsewhere and I doubt the gameplay of all the sections were what mattered to you, or anyone else, really. We're all here for the story and, with your story mode, encounters [bosses], anyways.
IF I do an SM next time, I'll make it game universe oriented. Since I've already started out without a game to base on, I wasn't able to take everything directly. I did it with the Kirby and the FF6-sections, but the rest was basically just all made up. But I'm glad you liked the characterized bits.

This is an absolutely solid story mode. I can't put it any better than that - it's just out there, completed, remarkably so. As well as that, it has a great personality endowed by its author, which seeps through the leaves, to the roots of the story and influences everything, with a little seriousness and heaps of humour. Definitely getting a vote from me, a favourite.

Well done.
Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. =)

______

An excellent ending to a great Story Mode.

Your bosses were spectacular as always, and I'm amazed at the depth of Esheris.

I would have preferred that you make an epilogue chapter as well.. but thats just me.

Did you have to go and use so many things I had already planned for my SM though... (boss battle in hell, multi endings... etc.)
Well, I think making Esheris deep was a given. He needed to be good, since he is
a.) an OC and
b.) wasn't personality-wise included.

The alt. ending was a thought I had rather late - I think when writing up Chapter 11 or 12. So ya.

______

I liked the explanation of how everything happened considerably. Your plot was far from the most complicated out there, but it was still interesting to see the actual explanations behind everything, seeing the roles of Esheris, Aeon, the Demon King and the Time Reaper. You did a good job of explaining it all, and the reference to the top 3 MYM 3 movesets was brilliant.
I wanted to make the references earlier, throghout the story (Dracula in the very first part of the Prologue), but I thought doing it in this way would be far more interesting. =P

. . .Not really a complaint of mine, but wasn't the final level essentially a great maze what with having to collect the souls? It was optional to go through it, but you'd still need the majority of them if you wanted to beat Esheris, no? I was just confused at HR praising you for not having a great maze.
It's not really a maze. It was rather supposed to be a rather big stage you can explore, like the Ice Palace one. A lot of side-routes and all.

Moving on, the boss battle was gold. Esheris' first form and the final form with the split version of him are easily the best bosses you've done what with their massive amount of cool attacks. Gotta love eclipse and sniper shot from Hexagon and Esyn in the last battle. I found it a daring move to not make the OMG BIG MONSTER the last of the bosses, but like HR I agree it was a good one, as I felt the monster version of Esheris was the least interesting by a considerable amount. Excellent job with the boss. If it wasn't obvious enough, that thing made this chapter and made the awkward chapter 12 worth it.
Was Chapter 12 really THAT bad? =|
Glad you liked the final boss, as well... I know, the second form is bland in comparison to the other two, but y'know, the mechanic makes up a bit, and the fact that he's the second one - not the first encounter and not the final battle either. It's more like... "Ah, beat the big guy, now on to the ending... Wait.. WHAT? There's another one? =O!"

The only thing I don't particularly like in this chapter is the ending. It's far from something to cancel out Esheris' epicness, but it seems like more of an after thought after that grand boss battle. Ayn's role being essentially non existant before this made him destroying the "fourth form" of Esheris somewhat random. I feel the SM could've been more complete if you actually described what all the characters did in the ending to take the focus off this character we barely know.
It wasn't an after thought. It was supposed to end like that. Ayn's role was tied to Esheris' from the beginning, that is, indeed, true. He was existant, though, as he appeared now and then, helping out Isaac's group in finding the right way, Rosalina's group with the underwater thingies, and spying on Lyon for Rosalina. He had a role, it just wasn't really big.

This was Esheris' chapter without a doubt. You need to make him a moveset in MYM 5 using that head switching mechanic of his. Perhaps the three split versions of him could be the final smash? That would leave out the giant version of Esheris, but that was the least interesting phase of the guy anyway. I just know Esheris would make an excellent top contender in MYM 5 after his role here.
Glad you enjoyed the cerberus as much as I did, in the end. I might be doing him as a moveset in MYM5. It's not sure yet, but it's rather likely. And IF I do him, he would have the head switching, don't worry.

All in all, I'm also glad you enjoyed this thing as much, as you are the second one whose comments kept me going (hence I waited for you to comment). So, thank you for reading since the very beginning and sticking with me.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Awesome ending chapter, Spade. This might get a vote from me. I'll have to finish reading everyone else's before I can be sure, though.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Geart job, Spade! This was definitely NOT anti-climactic, the string of bosses at the end actually made it really intense and just overall sweet. You're still pretty much the best boss maker, if you ask me, and that came through right where it was supposed to.

Congrats on finishing this, too! I'm starting to think there's only going to be three or four completed ones again... Oh, and I notice your new and updated thread title is shockingly similar to MYM 3's. Coincidence? Hmmmm. :bee:

Baloo

Smash Ace
Sooo, Rosalina is a major character?

PWN

Nice final boss, as are all the bosses.

And since I've never commented here before, I must comment on a previous boss from a few chapters ago.

King Kaliente. Yeah, I might be am based, but I loved it. The green bubbles are coconuts, if that makes any sense.

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on completing the SSE. You planning on doing another one? (Sorry if this has been asked)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Thanks for reading and responding, everyone ^.^

Sooo, Rosalina is a major character?
Yup.

King Kaliente. Yeah, I might be am based, but I loved it. The green bubbles are coconuts, if that makes any sense.
I know they're coconuts, but that didn't seem fitting to me, so I changed it to normal bubbles.
_____

Congrats on completing the SSE. You planning on doing another one? (Sorry if this has been asked)
No. It hasn't been asked, just hinted by others, like HR's "inviteable Spadefoxian MYM5 SM", but I said several times that I most likely won't do another SM. Except I have some GREAT idea.
_____

Geart job, Spade! This was definitely NOT anti-climactic, the string of bosses at the end actually made it really intense and just overall sweet. You're still pretty much the best boss maker, if you ask me, and that came through right where it was supposed to.
Glad it really wasn't...

Congrats on finishing this, too! I'm starting to think there's only going to be three or four completed ones again... Oh, and I notice your new and updated thread title is shockingly similar to MYM 3's. Coincidence? Hmmmm. :bee:
Most likely, yep.
As for the titel... Oooh, maybe? ;)

_____

You HAVE to make Esheris a set in MYM5...he's too cool not to. D:
Maaaaaaybe. =p

Anyways, brilliant as always, Spade. I don't think I can say any more without repeating what everyone else has said, so...great work!
Thankie.

Top Bottom