• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It won't be too long now until we see Mewtwo again in Smash Bros. And on the subject of Dark Pit, I'm fine with him, and out of all the KI characters I play as, it's Dark Pit, Palutena and rarely playing as Pit. Why do I play him? To stand up against the haters.

Back to Mewtwo, first character I'll play Mewtwo against... I don't know. It'll be fun, regardless.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Again with accusing Sakurai of bias. I don't think it's a big deal if he is biased! He denied himself in 64 and Melee and put himself last. I think it's fine if he wants to flex a bit with Smash 4!

But no matter what the truth is about Sakurai's motives, Dark Pit was wanted in Japan. It's not like he put in an obscure character no one wanted - at least, as far as Japan was concerned.
I was just joking around. I didn't actually mean Sakurai is biased, just making a joke about the very common reason for hating Dark Pit. Sorry for the confusion.
Also, while we're talking about using Dark Pit and Pit, I tend to prefer Dark Pit. I like him better as a character, and his color scheme appeals to me more. The angle on the Electroshock Arm feels more natural to me, and I personally find it easier to use. That said, Pit very well may have the superior angle, but I personally find the Electroshock's to work better.
I think both Pits are fine. Honestly, I feel like they ought to be in the same tier - the same for Marth and Lucina. The differences are there, but the fundamental character is the same. It comes down to player preference.
I don't know about that. While there may be just a few differences that seem to balance each other out on paper, sometimes small differences can radically change tier placement. For example, let's say that Pit's Upperdash Arm winds up being much, much better than the Electroshock Arm because it's much better for combos and can cover most of the Electroshock Arm can do, but better and then some. Well, that combined with Dark Pit's weaker F-Tilt, may make him fall several places below Pit on tier lists. It's like Mario's and Dr. Mario's Melee placement on the tier list: Dr. Mario is top A-Tier and Mario is low A-Tier. The differences are quite few, but they open up more options for that character or increase the utility of their clone's/original's options. That said, it could be a Young Link/Link situation, where the difference really do almost balance each other out, so one only has a slight edge over the other. So you could be entirely right.
Besides all that, its still too early to make a reliable tier list. We need to see more of the characters in action against one another and test things out more.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I won't deny that Dark Pit and Pit are even enough to be side by side on the official tier list. But I most definitely will never accept one that puts Dark Pit ahead of Pit in any way. I'll be "O.K." with one that put them in the same column, but that's about it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I won't deny that Dark Pit and Pit are even enough to be side by side on the official tier list. But I most definitely will never accept one that puts Dark Pit ahead of Pit in any way. I'll be "O.K." with one that put them in the same column, but that's about it.
Your going to kill me but

Dark pit works better than pit for me.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'd like for Confusion to be more of an actual command grab. Grabbing people in the air is always a great option for any character. I think I'd rather have that than a reflector. Not sure it'd be fair to make it a reflector AND a true command grab, though... but that would be cool!

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'd like for Confusion to be more of an actual command grab. Grabbing people in the air is always a great option for any character. I think I'd rather have that than a reflector. Not sure it'd be fair to make it a reflector AND a true command grab, though... but that would be cool!
You know, this would actually be kind of nice. Seeing as Mewtwo's grabs are his strong suit, giving him the ability to grab a character in midair would probably work wonders for his metagame.
Also, Confusion working like a proper reflector would be nice. I haven't the slightest idea why that wasn't in Melee.

EDIT: After seeing your edit:
If the cost of Confusion being a "true" command grab is losing its proper reflective properties, then I'd turn it down in a heartbeat. Reflectors are always a good thing to have, and Mewtwo's grab game is good enough as is.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I dunno. A reflector without a grab doesn't do much versus Duck Hunt, for example, and many characters don't have projectiles to reflect. A command grab gives Mewtwo a new option versus any opponent. Lucario, Wario, Bowser, Ganondorf... their command grabs all work differently, but all those characters love using those moves. They're effective.

In Melee, Confusion wasn't a real reflector or a real command grab. It's only use was to try and gimp people by dragging people through the ledge, really. If they bring this move back, they ought to make it one or the other. Something needs to change, because in Melee it was so poorly designed that if you caught an opponent in the hitbox, they could act out of the hitstun before your animation even finished. At least that much has to change.

Edit
Mewtwo's Melee moveset was pretty good as-is. I think if they improve Confusion, the only move they really ought to change would be Disable. I like the idea of Disable, and it feels great pulling it off, but it's next to impossible to do so in a serious match. They could easily come up with something interesting for down B. Barrier is a popular choice, and I'd be okay with that.

I watched a bunch of videos of Melee Mewtwo the other night: Mew2King, Taj, and some people like PC Chris, Shiny Mewtwo, and others. Basically, whatever I could find on YouTube. Really, I like what I see. That's the Mewtwo I mained in Melee, and he still looks pretty good. Mewtwo's shorter tail in Smash 4 has me a bit worried, though. If they keep his same moveset, and a lot of his best moves are still tail attacks, a smaller tail kind of sucks. On the other hand, if they give Mewtwo more Psychic powers instead of tail whips, I'd be okay with that, since that would imply a hitbox without a hurtbox.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I dunno. A reflector without a grab doesn't do much versus Duck Hunt, for example, and many characters don't have projectiles to reflect. A command grab gives Mewtwo a new option versus any opponent. Lucario, Wario, Bowser, Ganondorf... their command grabs all work differently, but all those characters love using those moves. They're effective.

In Melee, Confusion wasn't a real reflector or a real command grab. It's only use was to try and gimp people by dragging people through the ledge, really. If they bring this move back, they ought to make it one or the other. Something needs to change, because in Melee it was so poorly designed that if you caught an opponent in the hitbox, they could act out of the hitstun before your animation even finished. At least that much has to change.
I wholeheartedly agree. If I had my way with the move, it would basically be Project M's. It not only properly reflects, it has usable range and pops opponents up, which is great for combos. That said, there are a million other ways you could handle Confusion, some I'm sure that are better.
However, I still want at least a Custom that has proper reflective properties. I don't know why, but I feel like Mewtwo having a reflector would be great for him, and while it may not be very useful on characters with no projectiles, it's incredibly valuable on characters that do. Besides, like I said before, I personally think Mewtwo's grab game is amazing like it is now, so buffing it, to me, would be like fixing something that's not broken. Yeah, it's cool and all, but is it really necessary? I'd much rather have a reflector in order to boost Mewtwo's versatility.
And I know I probably say this way too much, but this is all opinions, so I hope I sound respectful, and I respect your opinion.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I always felt like Mewtwo was holding back and trying not to kill anyone in Melee.

I mean, Teleport, Disable, and Confusion are the three weakest Psychic-type attacks – something you'd expect a Level 16 Kadabra to use, not Mewtwo.

Not that I'll complain if his moves are unchanged. That's just my headcanon, he left in shame because he didn't know how to properly hold back without going too far; he's either lethal or worthless, which means he couldn't satisfy his urge for a fair fight.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I miss Lucas so much, I prefer him than Ness because of much more Lucas' attacks are psychic attacks, and of course I love psychic moves.
At the same way I'd like if Mewtwo will have more psychic attacks than before BUT actually I like also his tail attacks (mewtwo's tail is one of his main features).
I didn't play Melee, and maybe for this reason (or in spite of this reason, lol ) I don't like so much melee's mewtwo, in particular some of his moves. Disable and confusion are conceptuallly cool, but I don't like the way they operated in melee, and I'd prefer to see new psychic moves over them

I always felt like Mewtwo was holding back and trying not to kill anyone in Melee.

I mean, Teleport, Disable, and Confusion are the three weakest Psychic-type attacks – something you'd expect a Level 16 Kadabra to use, not Mewtwo.

Not that I'll complain if his moves are unchanged. That's just my headcanon, he left in shame because he didn't know how to properly hold back without going too far; he's either lethal or worthless, which means he couldn't satisfy his urge for a fair fight.
nice theory

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Mewtwo's Melee moveset was pretty good as-is. I think if they improve Confusion, the only move they really ought to change would be Disable. I like the idea of Disable, and it feels great pulling it off, but it's next to impossible to do so in a serious match. They could easily come up with something interesting for down B. Barrier is a popular choice, and I'd be okay with that.

I watched a bunch of videos of Melee Mewtwo the other night: Mew2King, Taj, and some people like PC Chris, Shiny Mewtwo, and others. Basically, whatever I could find on YouTube. Really, I like what I see. That's the Mewtwo I mained in Melee, and he still looks pretty good. Mewtwo's shorter tail in Smash 4 has me a bit worried, though. If they keep his same moveset, and a lot of his best moves are still tail attacks, a smaller tail kind of sucks. On the other hand, if they give Mewtwo more Psychic powers instead of tail whips, I'd be okay with that, since that would imply a hitbox without a hurtbox.
How would you feel if Disable were improved? I mean, with just a few small tweaks, it could become a very useful move. For example, give Disable the ability to hit an opponent from behind, and it instantly becomes one of the best tech chase moves in the game. Increase its range some, and it becomes an even better tech chase move, as well as just increasing its overall utility. Now, I'm not saying its range needs a dramatic improvement, but a little buff in range would be great. I always liked Disable, and I personally think that it just needs to be buffed up a little bit.
Plus, the way I've seen Barrier presented, I think it could quite easily be mapped to a Shadow Ball custom move.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mewtwo's shorter tail in Smash 4 has me a bit worried, though. If they keep his same moveset, and a lot of his best moves are still tail attacks, a smaller tail kind of sucks.
Don't worry, he won't be using his tail to attack anymore. Instead, all of his tilts and smash attacks are going to be with a giant spoon, greatly increasing his attack range.

Obviously.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Don't worry, he won't be using his tail to attack anymore. Instead, all of his tilts and smash attacks are going to be with a giant spoon, greatly increasing his attack range.

Obviously.
That would be interesting. But let's wait and see what happens as time passes by ;)

Spatman

Smash Ace
How would you feel if Disable were improved? I mean, with just a few small tweaks, it could become a very useful move. For example, give Disable the ability to hit an opponent from behind, and it instantly becomes one of the best tech chase moves in the game. Increase its range some, and it becomes an even better tech chase move, as well as just increasing its overall utility. Now, I'm not saying its range needs a dramatic improvement, but a little buff in range would be great. I always liked Disable, and I personally think that it just needs to be buffed up a little bit.
Plus, the way I've seen Barrier presented, I think it could quite easily be mapped to a Shadow Ball custom move.
I don't know... Disable is a nice tricky psychic move, but for a beast like Mewtwo it seems to me a little too weak... conceptually I mean, not necessarily Melee's Disable. However, if it is buffed, maybe I could appreciate it.
Of course I'm talking only theoretically, because I have no particular experience with Melee's Mewtwo

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
It won't be too long now until we see Mewtwo again in Smash Bros. And on the subject of Dark Pit, I'm fine with him, and out of all the KI characters I play as, it's Dark Pit, Palutena and rarely playing as Pit. Why do I play him? To stand up against the haters.

Back to Mewtwo, first character I'll play Mewtwo against... I don't know. It'll be fun, regardless.
play mewtwo against ness. >w< totallynotreferencingmother1sgiygasspritehere.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If Disable had a decent range, or could hit opponents facing away from you, I'd be fine with it. Not much in Smash feels better than making your opponent dizzy, stopping them in their tracks, just by leering at them. Mewtwo's a tough guy like that.

And yeah, I kinda felt like Melee Mewtwo was holding back, too. I have that headcanon as well. I hope, this time, that Mewtwo doesn't hold back as much...

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
What the crap. I haven't received either of these emails.

Look, Mewtwo is digital content. It's being developed by a totally seperate branch of Nintendo than the soundtrack CDs. The CDs will have no bearing on the DLC whatsoever.
Probably because you're not in Australia.

Fair enough. But like the rest of us, you don't know for sure when they'll actually give us Mewtwo regardless of the CD's being developed by a different branch or not.

D

Deleted member

I know, right? When I first saw Speed with her new icon, I was like, "Aren't you Mario Smith?":laugh: Telling you two apart is going to be difficult from now on, since I tend to identify users based on their avatar. Ah, well, live and learn, right?
Oh, don't worry. Remember that Alternate Shiny Mega Mewtwo X?
Well...

Last edited by a moderator:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please allow me to help prove your theory by pointing out the lack of a certain spoon shaped sword in that game.

tumblr_lt6anpp4511qd8tfx.gif

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I wouldn't mind if the Spoon Sword was a taunt of his, 1 attack, and maybe involved in his customs, but I don't think there should be many more moves revolving around it than that. That's my personal opinion however.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I've been out of the loop with all Smash things of late due to uni and other stuff so I have no idea whats going on with Mewtwo at the moment (or Smash in general). Im guessing there is no more confirmation of anything at all?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wouldn't mind if the Spoon Sword was a taunt of his, 1 attack, and maybe involved in his customs, but I don't think there should be many more moves revolving around it than that. That's my personal opinion however.
I doubt we'll actually see the spoon sword, considering that it's not related to the video games at all.

It's a manga only thing, isn't it? Yeah, that really destroys its chances.
Unfortunately.
C'mon, I love Uprising and Dark Pit myself, but you can't just punch someone over the internet for stating their opinion.
As wrong as their opinion* is.

*Yes, opinions can be wrong now. That's because I'm a fanboy and any opinion I disagree with is wrong.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yes, opinions can be wrong now. That's because I'm a fanboy and any opinion I disagree with is wrong.
The internet in one sentence.

In that case, since I'm not a fan of the spoon sword, that means it's an objectively terrible idea and should not be added, right?

In all seriousness though, I don't really see the appeal of the spoon sword. It comes off as really goofy for someone like Mewtwo. Pokemon is not really a serious franchise, but Mewtwo and his entire 'aura' so to speak (what a word to use) tends to be a bit less lighthearted. I did read the bit with Mewtwo using it in the manga, and even though the manga in question can get really ****ing weird (Golbat mirror mouth?) it still seemed out of place. When you get right down to it, Mewtwo is swinging around an oversized eating utensil.

Top Bottom