• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Could someone explain to me the whole thing with Mewtwo in a cloak? I dont recall him wearing it in the movies. Is it even the same Mewtwo? Was there an entire story arc? Fill me in on this stuff myu2 fans, I'm curious.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You guys take the Spoon Sword thing too seriously. Should hang out on this board more often.

Could someone explain to me the whole thing with Mewtwo in a cloak? I dont recall him wearing it in the movies. Is it even the same Mewtwo? Was there an entire story arc? Fill me in on this stuff myu2 fans, I'm curious.
I think it's from the ending of Mewtwo Returns.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Er, I think I saw Mewtwo wearing a cape in the introduction scene(where they explain what Pokemon is and stuff) of one movie back when I was still into the anime.
It comes off as really goofy for someone like Mewtwo. Pokemon is not really a serious franchise, but Mewtwo and his entire 'aura' so to speak (what a word to use) tends to be a bit less lighthearted.
That, my dear friend, is the beauty of the spoon sword.
It completely clashes with Mewtwo's "aura", but that is also why it's so hilarious.

I didn't even know what the spoon sword was before I came to this forum, but I then fell in love with it immediately.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Er, I think I saw Mewtwo wearing a cape in the introduction scene(where they explain what Pokemon is and stuff) of one movie back when I was still into the anime.That, my dear friend, is the beauty of the spoon sword.
It completely clashes with Mewtwo's "aura", but that is also why it's so hilarious.

I didn't even know what the spoon sword was before I came to this forum, but I then fell in love with it immediately.
In the magna he used it more like a staff than a sword but the way he used it was badass. The fight between him and Deoxys was pretty hype if you asked me. The spoon sword would be a good idea as a moveset or just as a reference but Nintendo rarely references anything outside their games so the chances of the spoon sword even showing up is slim.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
wait... is Speed a girl??
wow, I had no idea!

but is she a female as Femwtwo? :troll:
(yes, I'm one of those damn male chauvinists who believe the only true Mewtwo is a male)

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
In the magna he used it more like a staff than a sword but the way he used it was badass. The fight between him and Deoxys was pretty hype if you asked me. The spoon sword would be a good idea as a moveset or just as a reference but Nintendo rarely references anything outside their games so the chances of the spoon sword even showing up is slim.
I don't know about that. I still can't get over the fact that Charizard's Uthrow seems to be a direct shout-out to Project M.

Yes, he used it in the anime, but the anime hasn't been relevant in years.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I don't know about that. I still can't get over the fact that Charizard's Uthrow seems to be a direct shout-out to Project M.

The anime is still running. Therefore the anime is relevant.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok

I don't think its referencing the anime or Project M though since Seismic Toss is an actual move in Pokemon. If anything its a reference to just the move but I cant really say for sure, its debatable. Its possible that its a reference to the anime but like I said, cant really say for sure... unless someone asks Sakurai directly.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't think its referencing the anime or Project M though since Seismic Toss is an actual move in Pokemon. If anything its a reference to just the move but I cant really say for sure, its debatable. Its possible that its a reference to the anime but like I said, cant really say for sure... unless someone asks Sakurai directly.
Yes, it's a move in the games. But it's a move that Charizard hasn't actually been able to learn since it stopped being a TM after G1.

On a directly related topic, why is Skull Bash STILL NOT an egg move for Pikachu yet? Yeah, it's pretty useless in the Pokémon games, but all sorts of pokémon learn useless moves!

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Yes, it's a move in the games. But it's a move that Charizard hasn't actually been able to learn since it stopped being a TM after G1.

On a directly related topic, why is Skull Bash STILL NOT an egg move for Pikachu yet? Yeah, it's pretty useless in the Pokémon games, but all sorts of pokémon learn useless moves!
I dont think really matters, I mean yeah its weird that they would give him a move he cant learn anymore but Mewtwo can't learn teleport and thats his recovery in Melee. Aura Storm definitely isn't a move either, so really everything is just up in the air. The same can be said for Ness, in Earthbound, Ness can't learn PK Freeze, only Paula and Poo can.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The anime is still running. Therefore the anime is relevant.
Y'know, speaking of the anime and its continuing run, does anybody else call BS on the Ash, Serena and some of the more recent protagonists being 10? I don't know about you guys, but Ash's redesign screams early teens to me. Same with Serena's original design, though her redesign makes her seem just a little younger. To add to it, Calem, Nate, Hilda, Rosa, even the ORAS redesigns of Brendan and, to a lesser extent, May look like their in their early teens.

Spatman

Smash Ace
yes, but I mean now. The wait is unbearable by now...

what if Miiverse stage will have every song in Smash? everytime we fight on it, we listen one of these songs randomly.
It would be much better than having some un-iconic music related to pichtochat or something of this kind.
After all, in Miiverse there are groups dedicated to all Nintendo series!

D

Deleted member

yes, but I mean now. The wait is unbearable by now...

what if Miiverse stage will have every song in Smash? everytime we fight on it, we listen one of these songs randomly.
It would be much better than having some un-iconic music related to pichtochat or something of this kind.
After all, in Miiverse there are groups dedicated to all Nintendo series!
I want Mewtwo now as well... I am starting to give up on Smash 4, yet I always hold on to the thought that Mewtwo will make it better, that Mewtwo will make me care again. But, if they continue to starve us like this (especially if he gets delayed), then I might just give up on the game anyways.

As for the Miiverse stage, I think that it should have the most songs out of all of the stages (about 40), yet as opposed to those being songs that we already have in Smash 4, they should be songs from say, the Mii Maker, and they could have a
Mii Maker Medley where they combine all of the songs from the Mii Maker (like Menus, Create a Mii, etc.) and fuse them into one big mix. They could follow this trend for other games (like Nintendo Land, Wii U Menu themes for the lolz, etc.). And as one last bonus, you should be able to customize the appearance of the Miiverse Stage, so they could be an editor so you can change the colors of the stage/background (or make an animated background), but the model would have to stay the same, and maybe perhaps when you go onto for anyone, you could have more simplistic designs to choose from so you still get customization, but it's something that both you and the opponent could have without creating complications.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I don't generally enjoy hand cramps and unfunny dialogue. You're better off using that prayer for some information on Mewtwo or his release date.
I never got hand cramps playing it; I always wondered how that happened to people. And if you truly think the dialogue in Uprising wasn't funny, never change your profile picture.

C'mon, I love Uprising and Dark Pit myself, but you can't just punch someone over the internet for stating their opinion.
As wrong as their opinion* is.
Deal With It Squirtle.gif

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I reckon I'm the only one here who's never played Uprising, so I'm just gonna slowly back away before someone asks me something...
*Tiptoes quietly out the back door*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To add to it, Calem, Nate, Hilda, Rosa, even the ORAS redesigns of Brendan and, to a lesser extent, May look like their in their early teens.
That's because they actually are older now.
I remember I was watching the news for BW very closely, and one of their selling points in one of the CoroCoro magazine was that the protagonist were older.

In ORAS, I think your character actually is referred to as a teen by a team Magma/Aqua grunt during the Delta Episode.

...I'm not sure if this applies to the anime, though. It might just be the art style, but Serena looks younger in the anime then in the video games.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
...I'm not sure if this applies to the anime, though. It might just be the art style, but Serena looks younger in the anime then in the video games.
Serena is indeed younger in the anime.

Probably to appeal to the target audience.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
In all seriousness though, I don't really see the appeal of the spoon sword. It comes off as really goofy for someone like Mewtwo. Pokemon is not really a serious franchise, but Mewtwo and his entire 'aura' so to speak (what a word to use) tends to be a bit less lighthearted. I did read the bit with Mewtwo using it in the manga, and even though the manga in question can get really ****ing weird (Golbat mirror mouth?) it still seemed out of place. When you get right down to it, Mewtwo is swinging around an oversized eating utensil.
Plus, spoons were always Alakazam's thing. Kind of takes away from Alakazam a bit if an even stronger psychic Pokemon has a giant spoon.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I reckon I'm the only one here who's never played Uprising, so I'm just gonna slowly back away before someone asks me something...
*Tiptoes quietly out the back door*
Never played it either. I hear it's a pain in the butt for us left handers, so I kinda lost interest.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Never played it either. I hear it's a pain in the butt for us left handers, so I kinda lost interest.
Yeah...it's designed so that you have your left hand on the Circle Pad and your right hand controlling the stylus at the same time.

Lefties have to either use the Circle Pad Pro, change the control scheme so that ABXY buttons are used to move(which sounds terrible), or play it as if they were right-handed.
The only one of those options that's really ideal is the Circle Pad Pro.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yeah...it's designed so that you have your left hand on the Circle Pad and your right hand controlling the stylus at the same time.

Lefties have to either use the Circle Pad Pro, change the control scheme so that ABXY buttons are used to move(which sounds terrible), or play it as if they were right-handed.
The only one of those options that's really ideal is the Circle Pad Pro.
Just out of curiosity, why did it use that control scheme? I'd heard that before, and I always thought that somebody over at Nintendo would've realized how bad it was for left-handed people and asked to either remake the control scheme or go with a more traditional one. I mean, it just doesn't seem like something that big would slip under the noses of a few dozen people. Nintendo's noticed stuff like that before...

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Just out of curiosity, why did it use that control scheme?
I don't really know what the controls for most traditional shooters on the 3DS are, really, but somehow the words "Sakurai" and "traditional" just somehow don't mix well in my head.

I'm going to mention that Uprising can be a fast-paced game with constant dodging and shooting at the same time, especially in the multiplayer or on high difficulties. Perhaps traditional controls didn't suit that as well. But I wouldn't know.

I think some of the blame should go to the 3DS's asymmetrical design. If it had a C-stick to begin with, lefties could of just used that, and it probably wouldn't of been a problem.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I've never played Uprising either, but the amount of Uprising stuff in Sm4sh has kind of soured me on the entire Kid Icarus series.

godogod

Smash Ace
From Mewtwo Returns? I can imagine his entrance animation flying super fast from offscreen and landing on the stage and taking off his cloak. Would likely not happen, but would be a nice homeage. heh.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
From Mewtwo Returns? I can imagine his entrance animation flying super fast from offscreen and landing on the stage and taking off his cloak. Would likely not happen, but would be a nice homeage. heh.

I would love if he had a scarf upon entrance or as one of his costumes. I mean...then we'd know for a fact that it's the Mewtwo we all know and love...

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I would love if he had a scarf upon entrance or as one of his costumes. I mean...then we'd know for a fact that it's the Mewtwo we all know and love...
The entrance I can see happening, but not the costume.
They would have to make hitbox on edits because it's so big, it would look unnatural if they didn't. It's not like adding a ponytail or anything. You're adding a big cape that's at least as long as Mewtwo is tall. I think that would require extra hitbox edits, so I doubt it would happen.
Of course, this is just what I think. I could be completely wrong.

Spirst

The entrance I can see happening, but not the costume.
They would have to make hitbox on edits because it's so big, it would look unnatural if they didn't. It's not like adding a ponytail or anything. You're adding a big cape that's at least as long as Mewtwo is tall. I think that would require extra hitbox edits, so I doubt it would happen.
Of course, this is just what I think. I could be completely wrong.
It could possibly work if they shortened it. Hitboxes would be the same considering the cape wouldn't be used in attacks. You're referring to the character hurtbox which, if the cape is shortened, could function like the Marcina/Ike/Ganon cape in that it has no effect in-game and thus no need for edits. However, it would probably lose the cool flowing effect which is part of the appeal in the first place. I personally don't see it as a likely inclusion and am fairly certain that Mewtwo's alternate stuff will just be color swaps. Just saying that it's not entirely impossible.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
It could possibly work if they shortened it. Hitboxes would be the same considering the cape wouldn't be used in attacks. You're referring to the character hurtbox which, if the cape is shortened, could function like the Marcina/Ike/Ganon cape in that it has no effect in-game and thus no need for edits. However, it would probably lose the cool flowing effect which is part of the appeal in the first place. I personally don't see it as a likely inclusion and am fairly certain that Mewtwo's alternate stuff will just be color swaps. Just saying that it's not entirely impossible.
Hm. I hadn't considered that. I definitely think you're right in all regards: It would work, but it would lose some of its appeal.

Also, I'll tell you: Whenever you want it to be!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
With reports of people getting their CDs, the day the codes go out can't be far away.

I've never played Uprising either, but the amount of Uprising stuff in Sm4sh has kind of soured me on the entire Kid Icarus series.
You know what I find REALLY sour?

The X-bomb is listed as a KI item.

It ACTUALLY premiered in Meteos, one of my favorite games that Sakurai directed about seven years earlier iirc.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Thats a fantastic idea! but the chances of that being referenced is the same with the spoon sword, slim.

What's the point of Mewtwo wearing a cloak? What, is he going incognito?
Thats what I'm wondering too and if thats the case, why?

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Rule of cool.

Cloaks are cool.
In most cases, yes. But it looks ridiculous on a giant, grey, mutant-alien-cat-thing, with a rather large purple tail that, in addition to rendering a cloak moot, probably also makes it hard to wear in the first place.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'm writing a "storymode" involving Mewtwo. It will talk about the story of our beloved character (reimagined by me and made longer), and it will include 150 chapters + 1 more "secret" chapter. Every chapter will be a challenge in a specific stage against specific characters played by the cpu and amiibo, and with specific items on. The challenges will be on a increasing difficulty
Dr Mario will play the role of the Scientist-who-cloned-Mewtwo, while Ganondorf will be "Giovanni".

I think the last canonic chapter will be a remake of the Event 51 from Melee. Giovanni, with his trustworthy Tyranitar (Bowser) and... another secretely cloned Mewtwo(!!) will challenge our hero for the ultimate showdown!

the hidden chapter ("Number 151") instead will involve Mew. Only Masterball will be activated and Mewtwo has to defeat his enemy(/ies) only after a Mew will be summoned. But Mewtwo can't throw masterballs....
Obviously I will have to play all these chapters.
In this way I'll begin to become familiar with the character, and at the same time, some way, this Smash Bros will have a "Storymode"

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In most cases, yes. But it looks ridiculous on a giant, grey, mutant-alien-cat-thing, with a rather large purple tail that, in addition to rendering a cloak moot, probably also makes it hard to wear in the first place.
Logic gets thrown out the window a lot when talking about cool, which applies in a lot of media.

Including, of course, Pokemon.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
If there is a direct this month chances are we will get more Mewtwo information.

Top Bottom