• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4's Release Date Could be Earlier Than we Think?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I may be an optimist but smash could be more finished then we think some of this is on the list i posted before but,

1. bigger team- if the team is twice as big as brawl then in theory a 12 month development time is = to two years development time for brawl, yes there two games but the 3ds should not be as difficult to program then the wii u .

2. namco had a prototype done before sakurai even seen the project, so there was work done on the game even before uprising went gold

3. nintendo needs a system seller, I know quite a few ppl who did not buy a wii u/traded in because there nothing to entice them in keeping the system. Honestly this should have been a launch window game even if that meant a delay in the release of the wii u.

4. this is a fighting game, normally these type things don't tak long, plus sakurai had brawl to build from when he started from scratch with brawl.

5. the wiiu has something the wii did not and that's dlc if some characters can not make deadline then they can give it to us as free dlc.

Another thing that people should have in mind is that this game won't have a big story mode like Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
Did you mean, "SSB4's Release Date Could be Earlier Than we Think?"

I do not mean to be rude. There were just so many things wrong with that title...

I honestly think the game will be releasing sooner than most people think as well. Mostly for reasons 1 and 3. Reason 5 has me intrigued though (I don't really think they would make it free; however, the premise is the same).

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
even if it is not free I can handle a 1-5 bucks trans. I mean I trust Nintendo on being honest and everything will be work done after the release

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I see this as a Spring 2014 release at earliest. That gives them 2 years to work on the game, with a larger team this time.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's avery thin possibility for the Wii-U. However there is a chance, and I think even Sakurai said it might even happen, that the 3DS is having some limitations. The 3DS has a harder time handeling characters like the ICs, and if summer 2014 isn't enough time to get that figured out they might delay it's release. The Wii-u it's possible for it to get released sooner then Summer 2014, but I doubt it. Releasing it later makes it just as much a system seller with people trying to fet a Wii-U before it is released. So really releasing SSB4 later or earlier won't change it's system seller status and will still work no matter what for the most part. So it's possible but doubtful and I expect the 3DS version to actually be delayed. Also Smash games have allot more in them then you think. ._.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
12 Months of work and 12 Characters complete, they probably had alot of work completed on other characters but if not, if there are 45 characters we can hope for the game to be completed in 2.75 years. (45 characters total - the 12 completed characters, assuming each character takes a month to complete, divide 45 - 12 by 12 months to get the years)

Nah we gettin this game by January, now that they got the flow of things down.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am sure they have more then 12 characters done just only wanted to reveal those 12 as of right now for promotional and game secret purposes.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's avery thin possibility for the Wii-U. However there is a chance, and I think even Sakurai said it might even happen, that the 3DS is having some limitations. The 3DS has a harder time handeling characters like the ICs, and if summer 2014 isn't enough time to get that figured out they might delay it's release. The Wii-u it's possible for it to get released sooner then Summer 2014, but I doubt it. Releasing it later makes it just as much a system seller with people trying to fet a Wii-U before it is released. So really releasing SSB4 later or earlier won't change it's system seller status and will still work no matter what for the most part. So it's possible but doubtful and I expect the 3DS version to actually be delayed. Also Smash games have allot more in them then you think. ._.
No doubt. They have to do all of the stickers, trophies, item selection, final smashes, break the target maps, home run contest, 100 man melee variants, classic arcade, adventure or story mode, all-stars, records, balancing, stages/intractables, event matches, co-op event matches, challenges, characters, character customization or costumes (possibilities for SSB), trophy viewer, slot machine/coin shooter, training mode, special combat, nickname implementation, online modes, offline modes (stock, coin, time), roster selection screen, announcer, voice acting, sound effects, credits, the writing for the game. Also anything new that comes up. That isn't even scratching the surface either. :colorful:

In regards to needing a console seller. It doesn't truly matter when the game releases; however, Nintendo said they would release a lot of first party games by the end of the year or the beginning of next year. So I think SSB is in that list. They missed their opportunity though. They should have released SSB with the Wii U. I am still surprised Nintendo let Sora Ltd. work on Kid Icarus Uprising first. I would have pushed for the nearest release. They don't seem to be to worried about the bad sales though. I mean Brawl was one of the best selling Wii Games. I don't think it will happen again. Wii U can't compete with the next gen consoles. The only reason anyone is going to get a Wii U is for their favorite first party games. It is the only reason I am getting one.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
No doubt. They have to do all of the stickers, trophies, item selection, final smashes, break the target maps, home run contest, 100 man melee variants, classic arcade, adventure or story mode, all-stars, records, balancing, stages/intractables, event matches, co-op event matches, challenges, characters, character customization or costumes (possibilities for SSB), trophy viewer, slot machine/coin shooter, training mode, special combat, nickname implementation, online modes, offline modes (stock, coin, time), roster selection screen, announcer, voice acting, sound effects, credits, the writing for the game. Also anything new that comes up. That isn't even scratching the surface either. :colorful:

In regards to needing a console seller. It doesn't truly matter when the game releases; however, Nintendo said they would release a lot of first party games by the end of the year or the beginning of next year. So I think SSB is in that list. They missed their opportunity though. They should have released SSB with the Wii U. I am still surprised Nintendo let Sora Ltd. work on Kid Icarus Uprising first. I would have pushed for the nearest release. They don't seem to be to worried about the bad sales though. I mean Brawl was one of the best selling Wii Games. I don't think it will happen again. Wii U can't compete with the next gen consoles. The only reason anyone is going to get a Wii U is for their favorite first party games. It is the only reason I am getting one.
Yea all that stuff in the first part.

However I jsut wanna point out one tiny small thing. If Sony and MS hadn't wisen up about their systems and hadn't fixed allot of what they said they were gonna have, Wii-U could have easily been the best system this new Gen. But until then, the sales will speak for themselves. As many people say the Wii was the worse console of its gen, yet sales say otherwise. :awesome:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm glad that this game isn't a launch title. Launch titles never take advantage of a systems features.New Super Mario U was in 720p, games like Black Ops and Tekken that did take advantage of the 1080p 60fps weren't able to beat the competition in what matters most, the online multiplayer. The wii u summer update will finally bring the wii u online infrastructure into the present standards with lots of new miiverse integration for devs to use. Smash Bros will be able to use all of the Wii Us planned features from the start. We could be able to share stages and join friends games.

I'm so disappointed on what the wii u is missing out on by not having these features from the start. No DLC or online lobbies, it might even be why the online multiplayer arcade beat em up "Chronicles of Mystaria" is out on every other console yet TBA on the e shop. I know that the Wii U will be full power sometime this summer but until then we have to deal with sh@# game ports with missing features because the infrastructure has yet to be fully established, and by then 3rd parties will have already abandoned nintendo.

If only more people would realize this, Nintendo where the f@#$ is this update? Just give us an estimate of when you'll have your online sh@# together!

I don't know what I'm worrying about, nintendo consoles always take a couple years to catch on when people realize that nintendo's innovative machine is the way to go.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yea all that stuff in the first part.

However I jsut wanna point out one tiny small thing. If Sony and MS hadn't wisen up about their systems and hadn't fixed allot of what they said they were gonna have, Wii-U could have easily been the best system this new Gen. But until then, the sales will speak for themselves. As many people say the Wii was the worse console of its gen, yet sales say otherwise. :awesome:
I don't know about Sony. I don't think they were going to push for any of the DRM policies. I know they immediately shot down the used-game rumor a while back. I honestly wish the Wii U was the best next-gen console. That way I wouldn't have to throw money in any other direction. I don't know why Microsoft rescinded their original plans. I thought it would have been funny to see it flop. Now I have to stare at the Wii U struggle and suffer. I can only hope that once they start releasing the new Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, FE, whatever that Wii U sales start to pick up. :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't know about Sony. I don't think they were going to push for any of the DRM policies. I know they immediately shot down the used-game rumor a while back. I honestly wish the Wii U was the best next-gen console. That way I wouldn't have to throw money in any other direction. I don't know why Microsoft rescinded their original plans. I thought it would have been funny to see it flop. Now I have to stare at the Wii U struggle and suffer. I can only hope that once they start releasing the new Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, FE, whatever that Wii U sales start to pick up. :p
Nintendo will always have higher priority for me no matter what before anything else. lol After I get a Wii-U it will be onto getting a 360 and a Xbone as they have more games I want then Sony, and Xbone will have KH3 making me need a Sony system even less. :awesome: But yea, before the MS systems it gotta be Nintedno (Though I might end up getting a 360 first due to being cheaper... and I really want all the Halos on it and Gears of War Q_Q)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Anyone who works in software can tell you that more people on a project does not result in higher productivity or a better release schedule. Sure, more people on the team helps when you have a lot of moving parts that need individual attention, but building a game is not like building a highway. 4 people cannot necessarily make the same game 2 people made in half the time.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Anyone who works in software can tell you that more people on a project does not result in higher productivity or a better release schedule. Sure, more people on the team helps when you have a lot of moving parts that need individual attention, but building a game is not like building a highway. 4 people cannot necessarily make the same game 2 people made in half the time.
Fortunately, this IS, in fact, a game with a lot of moving parts.

The work done on the multiplayer experience and trophies and music and single-player modes are largely independent of each other. Once you know what the trophies are, some team can work on that and basically never talk to anybody else as long as they don't need a model of a character that appears elsewhere in the game.

The main things that I think need a holistic approach are the big picture items like overall roster + balance, the overarching design of the single player modes and so forth. A lot of the creative side. That can't be sped up as much by adding more people. But fortunately even the balancing of characters can be sped up when more people are playing. More people playtesting means more insight into what aspects of the characters are too weak or too strong, if there's something glitchy, etc.

And eventually they do start to interact with each other, e.g. changes to characters in the character balancing may necessitate changes to Event mode challenges or Adventure mode or stage designs.

I do agree of course that double the team size doesn't mean half the development time. But it should make a big difference.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591

The work done on the multiplayer experience and trophies and music and single-player modes are largely independent of each other. Once you know what the trophies are, some team can work on that and basically never talk to anybody else as long as they don't need a model of a character that appears elsewhere in the game.

The main things that I think need a holistic approach are the big picture items like overall roster + balance, the overarching design of the single player modes and so forth. A lot of the creative side. That can't be sped up as much by adding more people. But fortunately even the balancing of characters can be sped up when more people are playing. More people playtesting means more insight into what aspects of the characters are too weak or too strong, if there's something glitchy, etc.

And eventually they do start to interact with each other, e.g. changes to characters in the character balancing may necessitate changes to Event mode challenges or Adventure mode or stage designs.

I do agree of course that double the team size doesn't mean half the development time. But it should make a big difference.
yh ik it wont be exactly double but it would help speed things up

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer

But that is exactly the problem: the core gameplay won't be built any faster. Since there cannot be too much overlap in a given area, the dev time will be roughly the same for those core mechanics. I certainly hope that bigger team is not there to paint more trophies. The increase in team size also means an increase in management and communication costs.

Things would be so much better if they simply allowed the game to receive update patches. =/

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I have a question regarding the "console seller" bit. Mario Kart is set to release in spring 2014. Mario Kart is no doubt a bigger console pusher then Smash Bros is. Now, from a company perspective, would it really be wise to release these two close to each other? Is that a good thing to do or do you want to spread out console selling games more?

I realise both games will have fantastic legs and will keep being console sellers for a long ass time (probably years even). So maybe its not a bad thing releasing them close to each other. What do you guys things?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm glad that this game isn't a launch title. Launch titles never take advantage of a systems features.New Super Mario U was in 720p, games like Black Ops and Tekken that did take advantage of the 1080p 60fps weren't able to beat the competition in what matters most, the online multiplayer. The wii u summer update will finally bring the wii u online infrastructure into the present standards with lots of new miiverse integration for devs to use. Smash Bros will be able to use all of the Wii Us planned features from the start. We could be able to share stages and join friends games.

I'm so disappointed on what the wii u is missing out on by not having these features from the start. No DLC or online lobbies, it might even be why the online multiplayer arcade beat em up "Chronicles of Mystaria" is out on every other console yet TBA on the e shop. I know that the Wii U will be full power sometime this summer but until then we have to deal with sh@# game ports with missing features because the infrastructure has yet to be fully established, and by then 3rd parties will have already abandoned nintendo.

If only more people would realize this, Nintendo where the f@#$ is this update? Just give us an estimate of when you'll have your online sh@# together!

I don't know what I'm worrying about, nintendo consoles always take a couple years to catch on when people realize that nintendo's innovative machine is the way to go.
I really hope your right about all of this sounds great also what that other guy said soo true i dont think i will even purchase one 3rd party game on WiiU im getting console purely for first parties - first parties I HAVE TO HAVE !

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I have a question regarding the "console seller" bit. Mario Kart is set to release in spring 2014. Mario Kart is no doubt a bigger console pusher then Smash Bros is. Now, from a company perspective, would it really be wise to release these two close to each other? Is that a good thing to do or do you want to spread out console selling games more?

I realise both games will have fantastic legs and will keep being console sellers for a long *** time (probably years even). So maybe its not a bad thing releasing them close to each other. What do you guys things?
I was thinking about this also..thats why it makes sense to have MK come out spring and Sm4sh Q4.

the WiiU will pick up it does sorta seem like Ninty dont care much well thats how it looks although we cant see behind there curtain i think they are confident in there upcoming 1st party games and so am i plus Iwata says they are more WiiU games that havent been announced and will be ''by'' 2014.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Realist here coming to crash the party.

1. bigger team- if the team is twice as big as brawl then in theory a 12 month development time is = to two years development time for brawl, yes there two games but the 3ds should not be as difficult to program then the wii u .
Like others have said, a larger team doesn't necessitate a shorter development time. Rather, it means that things would be more thorough or the extra manpower would be user to leverage a larger scope, resulting in a dev time that is no shorter than if the team was smaller.

2. namco had a prototype done before sakurai even seen the project, so there was work done on the game even before uprising went gold
Source? Even still, given how much this game reflects Brawl's framework, I doubt it meant much. Such a prototype probably only served to acquaint Namco to Smash Bros. development. Basically to get them up to speed.

3. nintendo needs a system seller, I know quite a few ppl who did not buy a wii u/traded in because there nothing to entice them in keeping the system. Honestly this should have been a launch window game even if that meant a delay in the release of the wii u.
I really don't see how this means an earlier release date. Just because Nintendo NEEDS something doesn't magically make the dev team capable of getting it to us right away.

4. this is a fighting game, normally these type things don't tak long, plus sakurai had brawl to build from when he started from scratch with brawl.
We don't know the extent to which Brawl's framework is being recycled. Though frankly, I am dismayed by the thought of recycling Brawl's engine. It lacks the visual polish that comes out of Nintendo EAD.

5. the wiiu has something the wii did not and that's dlc if some characters can not make deadline then they can give it to us as free dlc.
But Sakurai has stated that his goal is to avoid DLC by having the most complete package possible at launch, so the dev schedule probably doesn't facilitate the idea of holding off on content for after release.

6. Another thing that people should have in mind is that this game won't have a big story mode like Brawl.
I certainly hope this doesn't mean that they're skimping on features in general. I would imagine they would fill the gap left by Story mode with some new content that they haven't announced yet, so this doesn't really mean much either. Or at least I hope it doesn't, because I don't want the game that early if it means fewer game modes.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well all I can say to that is that all this page did for me is tear out my heart and give me false hope.
ok

#1 i love your profile pic its awsome

#2 this game is already looking alot better than brawl by gameplay they have already shown and the development process they have taken.

#3 i do agree its still worrying and alot of big questions need to be answered like How is online play changed what new features?

More talk of the customization of both versions.

Whats going on with the story/adventure mode exactly....?

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
the above is prob right but would love a march release
A March release would be heavenly, but I'd love a surprise retraction of the 2014 quote and have it fully done and released by the holidays of this year instead.
If it were, then it would be able to....ahem.....SMASH through the doubts of naysayers to make the Wii U a huge seller a lot sooner.

volbound1700

Smash Master
They looked like they had very little to show off at E3 this year so I am thinking that not a lot is done for the game at the moment.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
They looked like they had very little to show off at E3 this year so I am thinking that not a lot is done for the game at the moment.
Do you remember if Brawl or Melee was playable at E3 the year their first trailer was shown? Or the year after? I can't remember a smash game ever being playable at an E3-event. Only trailer shown and then the game released before the next years event.

I might be very wrong here. Anyone remember?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nope but Brawl looked more developed and organized at its E3. Granted we did have characters and stages this time as well.

Top Bottom