• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4's Release Date Could be Earlier Than we Think?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
A March release would be heavenly, but I'd love a surprise retraction of the 2014 quote and have it fully done and released by the holidays of this year instead.
If it were, then it would be able to....ahem.....SMASH through the doubts of naysayers to make the Wii U a huge seller a lot sooner.
Lets just put it this way...there is no way in hell i mean 0/ chance it will release before E3 2014. RealTalk...just think about it.....

Morbi

Scavenger
There is a chance though. I mean it just depends on your perspective. I am riding on the fact that Nintendo needs a console seller in 2014 to attempt to compete with the superior consoles (Xbox One and Ps4). I am also taking their public apology to heart. They are pushing to release more first party games by the end of the year and beginning of next year. So Q1 of next year isn't an absurd estimate. There is a CHANCE. It isn't necessarily more logical to assume the game will come out after E3. It is the safer assumption, that is all.

Secondly an educated guess is not evidence. It is a theory. FYI.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
and your evidence is??????

I to am curious about this. Since no smash before has had it's trailer shown one E3 and then still participated in the next years E3. They have always been released before.

Even thought I think that Nintendo are happy with Mario Kart as a console seller Q1 and Q2 (meaning nintendo wont push it to be finished early) I don't see why it isn't possible for it to be finished by then. I would need an argument from you, not just "there is not chance, real talk" to believe you theory. If you have one.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
I to am curious about this. Since no smash before has had it's trailer shown one E3 and then still participated in the next years E3. They have always been released before.

Even thought I think that Nintendo are happy with Mario Kart as a console seller Q1 and Q2 (meaning nintendo wont push it to be finished early) I don't see why it isn't possible for it to be finished by then. I would need an argument from you, not just "there is not chance, real talk" to believe you theory. If you have one.
Do you remember that Smash Bros. Brawl's delay was near the release of Mario Kart Wii ? What I mean is that it can be the same story. There is a chance that Smash Bros for Wii U might release near the release of Mario Kart 8 or it can release somewhere in the holiday season. But I see no delay of Smash Bros. for Wii U in 2015, because Sakurai can still change his mind and go for the DLC option.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
H
Do you remember that Smash Bros. Brawl's delay was near the release of Mario Kart Wii ? What I mean is that it can be the same story. There is a chance that Smash Bros for Wii U might release near the release of Mario Kart 8 or it can release somewhere in the holiday season. But I see no delay of Smash Bros. for Wii U in 2015, because Sakurai can still change his mind and go for the DLC option.
(I mean holiday season 2014 instead of holiday season.)

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I actually had forgot/didn't know mario kart and smash released close to each other on wii. By how many months where they seperated?
I always thought that, from a company point of view, you would want to spread out these major titles. Maybe a full frontal attack with alot of great title in a short span is a better method. I have no clue about the gaming industrys marketing and economy.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
I actually had forgot/didn't know mario kart and smash released close to each other on wii. By how many months where they seperated?
I always thought that, from a company point of view, you would want to spread out these major titles. Maybe a full frontal attack with alot of great title in a short span is a better method. I have no clue about the gaming industrys marketing and economy.

Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii releases where seperated by 1 or 2 months. (It depends just about the region. For example: In Japan Smash Bros Brawl was released on January 31, 2008, while Mario Kart Wii was released in Japan on April 10, 2008. So in that case the two Wii games were seperated by about 2,5 months.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Errr i swear brawl did....

Wasent one E3 a trailer and the other one Reggie talking about ''i bet you cant wait to play as Giga bowser! If you have been following the brawl DoJo etc''

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
sorry but thats not evidence, you could be right but you need something very substance filled to make a 0 percent chance prediction justified.
0 percent chance prediction?
You mean like those few who wanted Wii Fit Trainer to be in the game before she was revealed?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
0 percent chance prediction?
You mean like those few who wanted Wii Fit Trainer to be in the game before she was revealed?
I am not questing it coming out later, he just needs more evidence in his post, plus for a 0 percent chance to occur there needs to be some document stating where sakurai or nintendo said such a thing.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm fully expecting delays like last time.
Chances are it'll be pushed past E32014 even if it was meant to come out beforehand.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
He is correct. E3 2006 was when we got the first trailer. The dojo updates began in May 2007. E3 2007 had a short 30 second trailer with gameplay footage and that was when Reggie announced the release date of December 3, 2007. Ironically, he precluded it by saying "not next year, not next spring"... which is exactly what ended up happening.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm an optimist as well and I'm honestly hopping for an early 2014 release 1st or 2nd quarter hell I would even get more specific and say somewhere around March-April area.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
He is correct. E3 2006 was when we got the first trailer. The dojo updates began in May 2007. E3 2007 had a short 30 second trailer with gameplay footage and that was when Reggie announced the release date of December 3, 2007. Ironically, he precluded it by saying "not next year, not next spring"... which is exactly what ended up happening.
Yhhhh blaad! Whos the best !

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm honestly expecting it to come out in 2015. Nintendo always delays their big titles [to polish them]

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm honestly expecting it to come out in 2015. Nintendo always delays their big titles [to polish them]
To be honest for me personally they are only a few things that will make me run to the shops and buy a WiiU.

1.Smash
2.Metroid
3. 3D DK (DK64 Sequal)
4. Proper 3D Mario...(like Super Mario 64 & Sunshine)
5.Diddy Kong Racing WiiU ( and it looks bloody damn good with Banjo & Conker back etc.)

To me it doesnt seem like any of these things are coming...or will come before smash..so im not bothered..plus my last option #5 xD yh impossible its a dream...

These are the only things that would make me run to the shop instantly as much as i want Wind Waker HD & Super Metroid because i have never played em before..i can live/wait without em..and Mario Kart 8 will be extremely tempting as it comes closer but i can wait without that too...

Jusy last month i got Mario Kart 7 and im pretty borrd of it...got 3 star driving liscense...good game! Better than MK Wii in most ways but DS one was soooo good.

Plus Iwata said they are more WiiU games coming in the space of Now till Spring 2014 that havent been annnounced yet because he said he doesnt want people to wait that long from time of announcement till release thats why he didnt announce them at E3..i doubt it will be anything special...well thats my take on WiiU.

Hope it gets a price drop at Xmas then i might pick it up this year.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
1. bigger team- if the team is twice as big as brawl then in theory a 12 month development time is = to two years development time for brawl, yes there two games but the 3ds should not be as difficult to program then the wii u .

In theory....but doubling the size of the development team wouldn't cut the development time in half.

The reason for that is because the more members you have on your team, the more time is spent communicating....because each member has to communicate with more people. So it cuts into actual work on the code/game.

People assume you can just throw more people on a project to make it go quicker...but there are problems associated with that. It's not all roses and sunshine.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
In theory....but doubling the size of the development team wouldn't cut the development time in half.

The reason for that is because the more members you have on your team, the more time is spent communicating....because each member has to communicate with more people. So it cuts into actual work on the code/game.

People assume you can just throw more people on a project to make it go quicker...but there are problems associated with that. It's not all roses and sunshine.
The more people that gotta report to Sakurai...but yh. True.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm gonna have to say possibly Holiday '14 at least. Give them a little more time to develop the game and make sure everything's right

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would hate if they released too early and had to release a ton of patches to fix mess-ups.
Getting it right the first time would be good.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
But hasn't this been in development for much longer than Melee or Brawl had been since their announcements? That combined with Wii U's situation with having no games makes me think they're not going to stall this out to the end of next year.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
But hasn't this been in development for much longer than Melee or Brawl had been since their announcements? That combined with Wii U's situation with having no games makes me think they're not going to stall this out to the end of next year.
Yh but Sakurai is about perfection if he needs more time he will take it which is good and above all remember that they are making 2 games at once.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I be happy with quarter 2 at the latest, later then that I think I will implode on anticipation

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Yh but Sakurai is about perfection if he needs more time he will take it which is good and above all remember that they are making 2 games at once.
2 games that are largely similar and using the same engine. The difference largely comes down to screen size and the player's ability to discern things in them (as well a 3DS being more single player centric).

Sakurai is about perfection, yes, but he doesn't need 2 years to pull it off, not with a ready made engine and a bigger team.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Any reasoning you might attempt to use to guess these games' release dates is totally futile. For everything you think might save development time, there could be a dozen factors that increase development time.

Brawl was released 26 months after starting development. Smash 4 started development in May 2012. If it takes the same amount of time as Brawl, you're looking at next summer, but like I said, that's irrelevant.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
with the wii u looking to be more complete and may realease before the 3ds, do u think it be any chance for it to be realsed late 1st quarter

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Any reasoning you might attempt to use to guess these games' release dates is totally futile. For everything you think might save development time, there could be a dozen factors that increase development time.

Brawl was released 26 months after starting development. Smash 4 started development in May 2012. If it takes the same amount of time as Brawl, you're looking at next summer, but like I said, that's irrelevant.
Hmmmm True what you said bit there not making a full story mode again surely that has to cut down alot of time!

But if the extra time is going into gameplay, balancing, features/modes then i dont mind waiting.

Im not in a rush i can wait but if anything im most intrigued/curious about what exzactly are they spending there time on if the game gets delayed...the best thing imo is trying their best to improve online / coding and modes/options etc/ THEATER MODE!

Top Bottom