• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Hmmm, seems I am in high demand. Can't imagine why. Although I am WAY better in teams than I am in singles. Dray and I actually took some games off of KoreanDJ and Marcus at FC, and came damn close to beating Watty and Drephen. I'm going to keep my options open at the moment.
one out of 9 hardly counts as some games... :-(

and it was Watty and Mathos, not Drephen. Drephen teamed with Joe Bushman

ChopTheRed

Smash Apprentice
Anyone going by St. Cloud (Collegevile to be exact) that could pick me and somone up for the tourney? We're stranded at college with no car. :p

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
After some deliberation, I've decided to drop the singles entry fee to $5 per person. I think that $10 per tourney is reasonable enough that it won't drive people away.

Next, I've been informed that all St. Thomas students have access to some webspace through the school network. I'll try to find it and set up a ranking site sometime next week.

Lastly, I'll throw myself out there if any of the higher level players want to team with me. Yoshii, SDM, whoever. Preferrably not GB though, since I've played teams with him at every other tourney I've been to.

Eci4

Smash Ace
I'm kinda thinking that I won't have a way up to the first tourney, so (although it is a longshot) if anyone were to pass through either Silver Lake, or Glencoe, they should let me know...

otherwise (unless I can convince tyler to go) I dont think I'll make it... oh well

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Just checked my work schedule, I don't work this day so you can pretty much count me in =). Superdoodleman team? or should I team with Yoshii SDM? Up to you!

And wow you guys suck at posting. 1400 to 600? pshh

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
one out of 9 hardly counts as some games... :-(

and it was Watty and Mathos, not Drephen. Drephen teamed with Joe Bushman
Hahaha, busted. Yeah, it was Mathos. Still, I thought we won two against Marcus and KoreanDJ, I was just trying to make it sound better by saying "some games." And wtf Aaron? I didn't say I wouldn't team with Tunava, I just want to keep my options open.

And Guitar Hero kicks ***. I just started playing a couple weeks ago and I'm close to getting all 5 stars on hard.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
wtf man... changing the entrance fee only 1 week ahead of time....why not keep it the same I think everyone was fine with it... :urg:
Chexr and I might not go because it wont be worth it that means minus 4 people....
me
chexr
tuna
dita (other friend)

up to you...

p.s I can understand teams 5 dollar entry fee but not singles =(

Chexr

Smash Ace
Sup guys, it has come to my attention that the singles fee has been reduced to $5. I dont think I've ever been to one where the pot money is so low. It pretty much screws the second placemen out of any money. Say someone gets first in teams and second in singles, that would be about $20 dollars winnings for each. $40 total winings -10 entrance fee - $5 gas. $25 dollars for second in the entire tournament? Thats major weakmonkeys. $10 is normally standard why change it when we get a big tournout? More money attracts more people. If you lower the money then the next one wont be as big and Aaron will get poor because he'll get second and not get any money.

Anyways we'll see you guys there, bit of a let down if singles gets squashed though.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Yeah, let's keep it at $10 Bluewolf.

I also have a proposed random stage list.

Rainbow Cruise
Pokéfloats
Icicle Mountain.

BANNEd
FD
FoD
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon staduim.

pshhh.

Also. James Sparrow, falco ditto, for... let's say... $20? =)

James Sparrow

Smash Master
changing the entry fee doesn't screw anyone out of money, so long as it's percentages of the pot being given...

teflon make it 1 dollar and i'll do it... i don't really feel like losing 20 dollars on 1 game.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I knew Aaron and Chexr would complain as soon as I dropped the singles entry.

I know you guys are in it for the money, and it's understandable since you two are probably going to place 1st and 2nd all the time.

However, I didn't start these biweeklies up to be a cash source for you guys, I set them up because there are a bunch of new players coming up, and tournaments around here have been few and far between since Teflon stopped hosting.

You say that turnout will decrease with a lower pot. I say the opposite.

Chexr gave the estimate that gas to get here would be about $5. If I remember right, you two live near SDM over in Roseville, which isn't that far away from here. What about the people who are coming from Plymouth, or Alexandria, or St. Cloud? I'm sure gas from there is much more. Plus, I'm guessing that most of them aren't expecting to get any money back from this tourney, especially with you guys coming.

Let's say it's about $10 worth of gas to drive down to the cities from St. Cloud. With a $15 dollar entry fee, They're essentially driving about an three hours down and back to the cities to spend $25. Every month. If they come to every tourney (probably 8), that means they'll be spending a total of $200 and 24 hours coming to play.

Now, granted, saving $5 dollars off of that isn't much. However, it means that they'll save $40, which might encourage them to come more often, thus adding more money to the pot.

Also, if they decide to only enter one of the tourneys to save money, they won't have to decide if they want to spend twice as much money to enter the singles, which is the event that everyone comes for. People won't only enter the teams tourney to save the $5.

I won't try to stop you from not coming if you think that it's not enough money for you two, especially since it means a better chance of getting money for the rest of us. Think about it this way: If you don't come, you don't get ANY money.

Also, if the 14 people who came last weekend come again, I'd guess that there will be at least 20 people coming to the tourney. Calculate it out, and you'll find that there's a lot more money to be made than what you guys said.

20 people x $5 entry = $100 pot for each tourney.

1st in doubles (30%) and 1st in singles (60%) = $90 - $15 = $75 profit
1st in doubles (30%) and 2nd in singles (30%) = $60 - $15 = $45 profit

If you guys are too poor to afford it, then don't come. :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
OH GOD thank you....

umm...what's double blind?

if that's a dumb question, sorry....

EDIT: normally, id be MM'in all yall space animals with Ness, but i'm broke.
gonna have to borrow money to get in...

EDIT2: unless some Foxs out here want to be on my team...YYG and healing me...

what time will this be? cause my parents make me go to Chinese School on saturdays...dammit.

or you could change it to sunday.....pretty please????

EDIT3: BYOC or not?

Eci4

Smash Ace
OH GOD thank you....

umm...what's double blind?

if that's a dumb question, sorry....

EDIT: normally, id be MM'in all yall space animals with Ness, but i'm broke.
gonna have to borrow money to get in...

EDIT2: unless some Foxs out here want to be on my team...YYG and healing me...

what time will this be? cause my parents make me go to Chinese School on saturdays...dammit.

and yeah I'm pretty much certain it is byoc

or you could change it to sunday.....pretty please????

EDIT3: BYOC or not?
double blind means both people pick without knowledge of the other person (basically they each tell someone else who they are playing as) so that way one person doesnt see who someone picks then go oh okay I'll play as this person then...

I have a friend who plays fox, but you probably dont want to team with him, hes not so great...

where are you from annoying?

Tapion013

Smash Lord
It doubles your score for every note you hit while it's active, and getting a 5 star is solely based on your score. X8 mutliplier on some fast parts really rack up the score.

Edit1: and when I said 95%, I meant I can 5 star 95% of the songs. I have 100% on many songs.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
well bluewolf it is your tourney so your rules but dont worry we will still be there to take the chump change =P

anyone want to money match my mario? name your price.

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
It doubles your score for every note you hit while it's active, and getting a 5 star is solely based on your score. X8 mutliplier on some fast parts really rack up the score.

Edit1: and when I said 95%, I meant I can 5 star 95% of the songs. I have 100% on many songs.
Oh, ok. I knew all that, I thought you meant you could hit 95% of the notes. Man, I'd better keep playing! I'm trying for all 5 stars on Hard before I even try Expert.

Chexr

Smash Ace
I dont think we would be in it for the money if there was enough competition to entertain us in the first place. Its not too fun beating people who can barley take us one handed. Bigger pot means more players like Darkrain or Eddie or someone else who has a chance at beating us. I'll stop now because I know there's no chance of anyone caring about what I say.

I still need money to get Tales of the Abyss anyways.

P.S. Aaron joo goin down

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
I dont think we would be in it for the money if there was enough competition to entertain us in the first place. Its not too fun beating people who can barley take us one handed. Bigger pot means more players like Darkrain or Eddie or someone else who has a chance at beating us.
A big pot may attract better players, but I doubt players around here are willing to put up enough money to attract the likes of Darkrain or Eddie. It would have to be an enourmous pot to get them to drive/fly all the way up to Minnesota.

You guys don't seem to want to travel to find competition, and they aren't going to come looking for you, which means that you two will remain the area superpowers until someone else develops their game enough to put up the challenge you're looking for.

Now, you can continue to be stingy about the money and only show up to tourneys to grab some free cash and laugh as you demolish people with your double G&W team, or you could come to the smashfests, the small tourneys, and all the other events, play a bunch of games with everyone, and help the community as a whole get better, with the intent that some of them may eventually put forth the challenge that you guys are looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that you guys are coming, but it annoys me that you complain about the lack of competition and yet do very little to help people get better. In the almost 1 and a half years that I've gone to smash events, I've played with Aaron maybe 3 or 4 times, and the first time I played you was at Disciple's tourney.

Splorky Fish

Smash Rookie
My friends and I want to come and learn some stuff, so I like the smaller fees. If Smash isn't lurcative enough, maybe Chexr and co. should just sell WOW items instead ;).

Or, bring a DS to play between rounds. I mean, your matches will obviously be super short, and everyone else will take forever, cuz they're all noobs and can't KO efficiently. You can use the money that you won at the tourney to pay for the DS games that keep you entertained while you win money, you poor guy.

Top Bottom