• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Distant Planet's hazard is reasonably announced....you have the camera panning out before it even appears >.>
Ah ok. I haven't played on it in ages.

Oh and for the second criteria, I assume you mean that moving stage elements? Otherwise it's like, every stage has a ledge which can save you, or the stage itself which you can be hit into to spike you and gimp you.
Yup, has to be moving or dynamic in some way.

For Smashville, would the balloon count as being able to gimp someone? (ie. Ness, Ike?)
Yes. However it's just so slow that you have plenty of time to react.[/quote]

And regarding Flat Zone, specifically the tamer transformation, don't they move up and down randomly? Idk if that counts as not having enough warning, but yea.
I'd always though they followed a pattern or something. I never play on the stage.

Also I'm wondering how the floating platforms on Luigi's Mansion save people >.> You mean from spikes?
Nope. If they're moving upwards they can save someone from a horizontal kill, a vertical kill can be platform cancelled (I've seen it happen -_-), etc.

And I'm fairly sure there's enough time to react to the chimera on NPC, or does it start biting immediately after the sound plays warning its appearance?
There's about 1 second to get away.

Are you sure the walls on Shadow Mosses are random? I mean I haven't tested the stage but it'd make more sense if they were on a timer which started the moment they were destroyed.
Again, I'm assuming random. I really don't know.

Also on Spear Pillar, you're given no time to react to the physics changes, or the stage being destroyed.
Alright.

Wario Ware is similar to Pictochat, the stage transforms without any warning, causing the ledge to disappear (move downwards? Idk same thing, it kills recovering characters).
Oh right, forgot about that.

Idk about Green Greens not falling under the first criteria, because the blocks can be off-screen, either to the left/right or upwards, and have an effect.
Yeah I suppose.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well first of all I'm not saying it's the only reason certain stages should be banned.

Second it doesn't really matter, Corneria's going to be banned regardless of the laser cannon.
Here's the problem though: you refuse to differentiate between randomness that matters (the randomness on Picto will be an issue almost every single match) and randomness that doesn't (the day I die to the lasers on Corneria or the Bulborb on DP is the day I quit brawl).

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
DP should be legal; nothing wrong with it whatsoever! Bulborb is completely avoidable, pellets are easy to deal with, and the walkoff is a slope, eliminating cgs and walkoffs (unless someone's playing like a moron and walks into it).

Corneria has nothing wrong except that stupid wall on the fin... sucks, too, 'cause I love that stage in friendlies...

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Here's the problem though: you refuse to differentiate between randomness that matters (the randomness on Picto will be an issue almost every single match) and randomness that doesn't (the day I die to the lasers on Corneria or the Bulborb on DP is the day I quit brawl).
Fair enough. I really looked over that all really, really quickly. Also it's been ages since I've played on Distant Planet, I played a few games on it today, I seem to remember the Bulborb being a lot closer to the rest of the stage.

Life

Smash Hero
Same with Frigate, BTW. (If you're going to complain about randomness on Frigate, do it right and complain about how matchups change depending on which side gets favored--ask an Oli main, they'll tell you)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That actually makes sense.
"Isolated randomness" would be the right term then?
If so, stages with no isolated randomness (and no warning on it) would be Pictochat, Wario Ware, Rumble Falls.... and Delfino? :/

I really don't want to be that one guy ho'w always against others' opinions, but I have experiences where approaches have been screwed by an invisible platform lifting from the floor with no warning, or people being gimped because the main platform started go away (people being saved by transformations is actually timed and attempted, no random at all)... I mean, I can't see a difference between Picto and Delfino in terms of isolated randomness UNLESS it is done at a set timer, in which case this point can be ignored.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Same with Frigate, BTW. (If you're going to complain about randomness on Frigate, do it right and complain about how matchups change depending on which side gets favored--ask an Oli main, they'll tell you)
The platforms on the side can often save people (One tournament match I was on 1 stock vs D3's 2 stocks, he inhales me off-stage, and we land on the platform >.> Then I go on to win the match), and they stay on screen for a random amount of time, often going away instantly after they come out, screwing you up if you planned to land on them....

So they do have a significant effect on the match, but I'd agree that the amount of time spent on each transformation has a greater random effect.

Life

Smash Hero
Ghost, I'm not entirely sure that's true. I'm not 100% certain about appearance times, but in my experience the time they stay out is quite consistent (though one stays longer than the other).

In any case, Frigate should not be banned for randomness.

@Tesh: :falcon: YESZ!

Tesh

Smash Hero
If the timer was only 3 or 4, Trela woulda been like "oh ill just time out its only like 3 minutes left", instead of playing aggressive. Having the 8 minute timer stops people from camping their ***** off in a 1 stock match.
~M:awesome:2:awesome:K

Tesh

Smash Hero
The Borderline

I never really released my own ideal ruleset like alot of other stage forum regulars. The reason being that I could never figure out exactly what was right, especially for stagelists. So many rules and stages have been dismissed with little (or often no) testing. So I'd now like to present a ruleset (or perhaps just a stagelist) for a tournament to find my ideal ruleset.

:metaknight: is banned
2 stocks
5 minutes timer
Bo3 until top 8 (or 16 depending on tournament size)

Starter*
Skyworld
Distant Planet
YI:pipes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pirate Ship
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair

Tesh

Smash Hero
Did you....correct me?

I never said 3 minutes per stock and its not some written law. I feel 5 minutes is just fine for 2 stocks.

I think the whole concept went way over your head tho...

C.J.

Smash Master
I said imo. As in "In my opinion, 3 minutes per stock sets a nice, and easy to defend standard even though it is arbitrary." So no, I didn't correct you; I posted my comment on a part of the ruleset you offered up.

As for me missing the point, it's highly possible vOv

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol, just leave all 9 of them to Strike off from, there's no point on having 2 "counterpicks".
A Stagelist like that would be interesting, though.
Too bad people would just whine about it and not play it anyways.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I never really released my own ideal ruleset like alot of other stage forum regulars. The reason being that I could never figure out exactly what was right, especially for stagelists. So many rules and stages have been dismissed with little (or often no) testing. So I'd now like to present a ruleset (or perhaps just a stagelist) for a tournament to find my ideal ruleset.

:metaknight: is banned
2 stocks
5 minutes timer
Bo3 until top 8 (or 16 depending on tournament size)

Starter*
Skyworld
Distant Planet
YI:pipes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pirate Ship
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
What exactly is the mindset behind the stagelist?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Twinkie, would you be able to chance my main to :peachbrawl: and secondaries to :diddybrawl: and :dededebrawl: in the OP please?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Then make me a G&W main too lol. And put seconds to Rob :)
No one is gonna read it, but I know it's gonna be there and that's cool.

Top Bottom