• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody mind filling me in on what I missed last night in the IRC? I'm sort of confused about the list, and that run break is still in it. >__>

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Anybody mind filling me in on what I missed last night in the IRC? I'm sort of confused about the list, and that run break is still in it. >__>
^ This.

Maybe someone can write up a meeting summary or post the chat log or something? I'm sure everyone who missed it would like to know what went on in detail.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I've added a doc in the google docs for this project. Make sure to check it often and keep updated with it. We have to start with the simple terms first, so I'll try to cover those boring ones. T_T

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So I said I would move the details of the phenomenon currently known as "Grenade Shielding". Certain specials are capable of landing with a shield on frame 1 forgoing the landing lag a traditional landing creates. Until now, this has only applied to snake, but other characters like Pit and Link can also perform this.
video of Lucario's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOW3eLoRIdk
old snake video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbONIt0wl1I

I was thinking we should change the name to something more universal since it obv. no longer applies to one character.

Another note, obviously the mine isn't the only application, but it is the clearest indicator of what lag is eliminated.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Link? I can't see what special it would be for him...

Perphaps WoI for Pit.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Actually, I'm not sure if they have cancelable specials, someone mentioned that they did, but I tested them just now and they don't seem to have anything of the sort :p

Luxor

Smash Champion
I'm thinking they mean Pit's "Angelic Ring Technique" and Link (and TL's) Quickdraw. I don't think they have any other specials that have special landing properties; neither of these lets you shield on landing, though.

I would look into all the SCAC moves. [collapse=Indigo's List]Donkey Kong: Giant Punch(TD);[AD]input airdodge during charging sparkle [IF]input airdodge between sparkles
Diddy Kong: Peanut Popgun(A)[AD]
R.O.B.: Gyro(TD); [IF]input airdodge during opening frames [AD]input airdodge after opening frames
Shiek: Needles(A)[IF]
Mario: FLUDD(A)[AD]
Lucario: Aura Sphere(A)[AD]
Squirtle: Water Gun(A)[AD]
Snake: Nikita(A)[AE]
[/collapse]

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know gyro and popgun won't let you, tried those out awhile ago (they have a nifty cancel anyways though).

Sheik needles don't either, but they too have a quick cancel (useful for other stuff)
I'm not so sure about FLUDD and Water gun, but I think nikita doesn't contain these properties either.

edit: oh yeah and on top of the given effects, it also is able to negate RCO landing lag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyiMz5pwe8M

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
So is anyone going to start a doc in the docs with the stuff, or am I entirely on my own?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
He was being a bit slow on the project and had shown disinterest in continuing. :<

All right guys, so I know it's school season, and you all wanna go out for the weekend, so all I ask is that you fill in the new when2meet, seeing as your schedules have prolly changed now. :p

First coming weekend will be the "meat" of the discussion, while the weekend after that will be for recap/those who missed it. If you'd like additional recap days, just post here.

When2meet: http://www.when2meet.com/?51116-oSfno

This thread has been updatified.

I excluded random stuff from the second post where the list is, like DACUS, etc., because we haven't gotten there yet. I'll eventually throw them into a temporary Miscellaneous section.

This was copypasta'd from the doc, and then slightly edited to make it look nice on here.

Tell me if I missed anything guys!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Don't purge me! I'll contribute, I promise! :)

But for real, sorry I've been horrible lately. I may be out of action for about another week, but after that I'll be back in full force. College is KILLING me, but the bulk of my work will be out of the way shortly.

Sorry for the inactivity guys.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
There is no mention of waking in the OP.
I have always refereed to the action of simply going from the ledge to the stage as "ledge waking". Also, when I simply stand up after missing a tech I have always called that waking.
waking- Going from a forced stance to an idle stance without performing an action that either attacks or avoids attacks.

That is just what it has been to me and it sounds cool too.
Anyone care to comment or correct?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Since we're favoring the more technical from-Bbox/PSA names, I think we'd call those Ledge Get-up and Get-up, respectively.
Good point
However, I don't know about you but I like how Smash has always had these unique sounding terms or names. ie wave dash, craq walking, DACUS, john, meteor smash, meteor cancel, wave bounce, jab ect. ect.
Even though the game data says it is called get-up it can still be called something else.
Wake or waking is shorter and sounds cooler than get-up.

Just my personal opinion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Craq Walk and Wave Bounce are being eliminated from the official smash terms list, I believe.

I agree with ledge get-up, have always referred to ground wake-ups as, well, wake-ups, to better differentiate.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Craq Walk and Wave Bounce are being eliminated from the official smash terms list, I believe.
What's wavebouncing gonna be listed under?

I'm working on the Zelda guide and updating the Pika one, so I might as well change the terms to reflect the soon-to-be official ones.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
College has been resorting itself as of recently (I start my Fall term classes as of tomorrow).

I've been doing Ind. Study classes over the Summer, if people are wondering as to why I've been lagging in the Summer a little.

Yikarur

Smash Master
sorry for not being that activ here the last time.
I failed in looking into the Smash Lab somehow and didn't realize that this Topic is activ atm (I use email notification but I didn't receive one for this <.<)

I have a few objections/questions on the Term List and a few additions respectivly.

Movement:

Pivot [Universal] - The state in which one changes directions out of a run. Can be cancelled into a run, jump, or True Pivot.

is that "dash pivot" or something else? If it's a dash pivot I would put it below "run".

Run [Universal] - The state input by smashing the control stick out of a standstill or walk. Can be cancelled into a jump, pivot, skid, dash attack, or special.

what is skid? and I would place "Dash" above "Run". Dash is initial run and Dash becomes run after the dash finishes. Dash is not cancable by specials except for SideB.

Is any walk parted in 3 Speed Categories? (Walk1-3)

Drifting (aka ADI) [Universal] - Using the control stick to influence horizontal air movement.

that term is new to me, ADI = Aerial DI? I don't like that term D: DI is that specific action we've named, calling it Air DI would be rather complicated and unnecessary.

You could probably add "Ledge Hop" to Ledge Options. That explains dropping the ledge to double jump, that term is quite common.

Ledge Jump [Universal] - Pressing jump while on the ledge to jump at a height comparable to a Full Hop.

is there really a relation between fullhop and ledge jump? or it is just for visualization? and Ledge Jump has invincibility too.

and the explanation for "Tether (Z-air) [Specific Characters]" is missing D:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
DI is not an action, it's an input. DI stands for directional influence. When you're in the air, you're directionally influencing your movement using drifting, which can also be interpreted as ADI. There are other forms of DI which is used more often such as SDI and ASDI that are used normally. DI in itself it not an action.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah but the original smash term meaning was for the knockback directional influence and mixing this term with something that has nothing to do with the original smash term meaning could cause confusion.
Even though, I've never seen someone using that term.

T-block

B2B TST
I agree we should get rid of ADI and just use Drifting.

DI - influencing your knockback TRAJECTORY
SDI - teleport movements during hitlag
ASDI - automatic SDI

that's all it should be =\

sorry for not being that activ here the last time.
I failed in looking into the Smash Lab somehow and didn't realize that this Topic is activ atm (I use email notification but I didn't receive one for this <.<)

I have a few objections/questions on the Term List and a few additions respectivly.

Movement:

Pivot [Universal] - The state in which one changes directions out of a run. Can be cancelled into a run, jump, or True Pivot.

is that "dash pivot" or something else? If it's a dash pivot I would put it below "run".

Run [Universal] - The state input by smashing the control stick out of a standstill or walk. Can be cancelled into a jump, pivot, skid, dash attack, or special.

what is skid? and I would place "Dash" above "Run". Dash is initial run and Dash becomes run after the dash finishes. Dash is not cancable by specials except for SideB.

Is any walk parted in 3 Speed Categories? (Walk1-3)

Drifting (aka ADI) [Universal] - Using the control stick to influence horizontal air movement.

that term is new to me, ADI = Aerial DI? I don't like that term D: DI is that specific action we've named, calling it Air DI would be rather complicated and unnecessary.

You could probably add "Ledge Hop" to Ledge Options. That explains dropping the ledge to double jump, that term is quite common.

Ledge Jump [Universal] - Pressing jump while on the ledge to jump at a height comparable to a Full Hop.

is there really a relation between fullhop and ledge jump? or it is just for visualization? and Ledge Jump has invincibility too.

and the explanation for "Tether (Z-air) [Specific Characters]" is missing D:
Zair is going to be discussed in this weekends meetings.

And yeah, I myself am not a big fan of the term "ADI". But I left it in because I knew some people are partial to it. rPSI, the original meaning of DI is indeed directional influence, but you left out an important part. I believe it is actually directional influence during knockback.

I'd prefer leaving it out of drift's tag, and instead include it in the definition as an "erroneous name".

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
For drifting, just make a note that it is commonly incorrectly referred to as a form of DI.

I think this is referring to runturn...? It isn't really canceled into run since it's just turning around in a fairly long turning animation. And since when can runturn be true pivoted? You have to wait for the whole animation to end if you wanna go into some random ground attack with it. A pivot is just setting yourself into a neutral stance during the DD window of a dashing state (not running), which in brawl has a very small frame window to do. There isn't anything else you can pivot from.

Oh, and I doubt I can make the meeting. I'll be busy smashing all day friday and saturday.

Yikarur

Smash Master
runturn is mostly called dash pivot.
Out of a dash pivot you can do anything in certain frames (dash pivot cancel) but the turn itself outside of dash pivot)
it's not cancelled into a run but it transfers into a run after the turn finishes.

I'm always wondering about a few terms.
pivot
empty pivot
true pivot
they all seem to be used for the same technique D: aka what leaf said.

T-block

B2B TST
It can be cancelled into a run in the other direction. I'm pretty sure that's what we're referring to.

Left to dash, Right to runturn, Left during the runturn to go back into a dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom