• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Store in Super Smash Bros Brawl

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
Remember the coin system? I was just wondering what it would be like if you actually use the coins to buy characters and stages. Would a store be a good idea?

EDIT: IDEAS BY DARK-WAR-CLOUD and Destruction_King

4 buyable stages 2000$ each
4 buyable characters 5000$ each
3 new costumes for each character 500$ each
200 trophies 50$ each
30 (or the same number of characters) special character movies 1000$ (like link or other character gets his own combo sorta video)
ECT ECT ECT... and coins would be diffucult to get...
i thought of a coin system thing...
beating adventure mode ect= very easy 10$, easy=20$, normal=30$, hard=40$, very hard=50$
playing vs mode=1$ for each 10 stock lost...
HRC=1 coin per 200 feet (unfair way to get coins if any lower)
multiman melee=10 man melee=1$ for finishing, 100 man melee=5$ for playing, 15 minute melee=300$ for finishing...
target test=3 coins for finishing
New Tracks: $200

kithkin

Smash Champion
no it wouldnt. you see if you used the coins you got like how you bought trophies, that type of coin to buy like costumes or videos

or things that matter less
yes

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Coins being used to buy characters would suck and requires little to no skill, but a store to buy costumes, trophiles, pictures, lore, videos, etc would be cool.

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
a costume would be the highest i would go taht you could purchase. id just have much lower things like trophies still

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Coins being used to buy characters would suck and requires little to no skill, but a store to buy costumes, trophiles, pictures, lore, videos, etc would be cool.
I Agree.

It would bring more meaning to the coins in every Vs mode you do and get more stuff.

T-major

Smash Champion
maybe... if they made it so coins were harder to get, and that things cost alot of them. then it wouldn't be too easy to get things. but not everything should have to be bought (that would suck) like a stage or something, maybe only have one or two stages you can buy, then have the rest as unlockables. having a character to be bought wouldn't be the end of the world if it were only one character (they would need to make them cost a lot though)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, it'd make sense to have win Wario over by paying him off. Though, there isn't really anything to suggest that he'll be unlockable. So nevermind.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
maybe... if they made it so coins were harder to get, and that things cost alot of them. then it wouldn't be too easy to get things. but not everything should have to be bought (that would suck) like a stage or something, maybe only have one or two stages you can buy, then have the rest as unlockables. having a character to be bought wouldn't be the end of the world if it were only one character (they would need to make them cost a lot though)
^^^

THIS MAN IS GENIUS! Mod this man now!

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
no. they shouldnt do it. that means all the characters and courses are unlocked the same way. Melee was fun because you get charaters by doing a variety of different things.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Do what they do with advance wars. You get battle points from only campaign and war room fights, not vs. matches, and you have to unlock the character's availability in the store. In DS to unlock the big bad guy, Von Bolt, you have to beat Campaign, Advanced campaign, and then come up with 5000 points.

In this way, you can still have interesting ways to unlock chars, but you can make it risky too. You pay money too fight a character in some kind of colosseum, and if you win you get the new char. If not, you have to come up with the money again and play. BUt don't make them too expensive, or It'll be too annoying getting more money. You could also have money to buy extra costumes beyond the traditional color change ones. Like, you could buy a costume for mewtwo where he has all that armor on, or you could buy the light suit for samus. You could also get every other kind of unlockable this way, and you could make a kind of special money making mode for fast cash(you got money SO slowly in Melee).

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like the idea for chars, but maby for some extra costumes, or perhaps an extra stage or two.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The characters deserve their element of surprize, leave them the way they've always been.

Instead of a lottery where we get a random trophy with not even a 100% chance of getting a new one, make it a trophy shop. Each trophy is worth a set number of coins, and when you see one you like, buy it. The more things you accomplish in the game, the more trophies become available. There would also eventually be stage trophies (like Mute City, Peach's Castle, Battlefield etc.) and when you buy it, that stage is unlocked. Just my quick idea...

T-major

Smash Champion
The characters deserve their element of surprize, leave them the way they've always been.

Instead of a lottery where we get a random trophy with not even a 100% chance of getting a new one, make it a trophy shop. Each trophy is worth a set number of coins, and when you see one you like, buy it. The more things you accomplish in the game, the more trophies become available. There would also eventually be stage trophies (like Mute City, Peach's Castle, Battlefield etc.) and when you buy it, that stage is unlocked. Just my quick idea...
well, to keep the element of surprise, they could just make the character in the shop not specificaly listed as "<insert character name> ---- 5,000 coins." maybe make it a suprise box or something similar? there would be more then one box so you wouldn't go "hmm?... a single surprise box? that seems like it would be something important!". that way you still wouldn't know what character it was. and as somone said earlier, you would need to fight them to acualy unlock them, and if you lose you need to pay for them again (maybe at a discount the second time, so it dosn't get frustrating).

and trophy shops would work out good. but I would still like to be able to randomly find them during adventure mode too (if they bring it back that is)

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb said:

/signed

The idea of a store is a good one, actually, and I'm 100% behind a correctly-done shop. That being said, it'd be really easy for them to screw things up. Unlockable characters is the first huge thing that comes to mind, although it wouldn't be too bad if it was absolutely impossible to tell who you were buying.

I like ChRed's idea, too: make it so you have to unlock things to buy them. That would add a huge amount of replay value to the game.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
I say take the same formula as Dragonball Z budokai in some ways..

You would buy ingame items ,unlock extra modes like gallery mode . And once you unlock gallery mode unlock pictures. Then eventually costumes(once you get all the characters) and last which is the rarest one would be the video(s) like the one in melee. This would add more of fun factor then getting the trophy cause this would make a big different in the game than the trophy, but if still want to collect you still could.

I also say they should have Gamble bag for people like to take a risk to get something great paying a lot of money.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Things like picture galleries and costumes may not have as great a chance of being in Brawl. Modes like Sound Test or an extra 1P option would probably be there.

Gamble bag sounds scary. In contrast, I run the risk of getting a cheap Wind Waker trophy or something for a lot of money. But that's kinda like the lottery in Melee, where the more money you put in, the more likely you get a trophy. Doesn't really matter now since I have 999 coins and nothing to buy.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I sometimes, when I need a few moments to think in solitude, will load up Melee and go and just put coins into the machine. For some reason, it soothes me.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
Things like picture galleries and costumes may not have as great a chance of being in Brawl. Modes like Sound Test or an extra 1P option would probably be there.
you could be right on it but may not be as far fetched. picture gallery is something you gotta have in there. Costume don't seem too time consuming cause your not creating a new outfit, just take outfit from one of their game and re design it a bit.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
As for pictures...well, maybe they can put the ones you see after you beat a 1P mode, you know, that character specific picture. I never see those enough.

I hopelessly spend all my coins in the lottery, too. I always end up with max coins, so I gotta do something about them.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
I really hope that they make Player skins this time around: I want to play in Wario's classic suit, not the Wario Ware verison.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Not necessarily characters cause I would like to get hidden characters through story mode.

As for a store in SSBB, yeah I would be tight! If and only if you got to buy new accessories such as weapons, costumes, super moves, new moves, trophies, etc.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
Not necessarily characters cause I would like to get hidden characters through story mode.

As for a store in SSBB, yeah I would be tight! If and only if you got to buy new accessories such as weapons, costumes, super moves, new moves, trophies, etc.
^^^^ Genius! Mod this man!

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
To further elaborate on the subject, I'll give you a perfect example; "Link." You could put in the shop other colored tunics, his Great Fairy Sword, the Big Goron Sword, Longer range Hookshot, give him some contacts (even though it would be tough to see his eye color), & bigger more effective bombs.

Oh & thanks Starmanclock! You're mad cool! What's cooler than cool: ICE COLD!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, I dunno about buying improvements to characters. But if it was purely aesthetic changes you were buying along with character art, trophies etc. purely non-game changing but awesome nonetheless to collect and look at.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
Well, I dunno about buying improvements to characters. But if it was purely aesthetic changes you were buying along with character art, trophies etc. purely non-game changing but awesome nonetheless to collect and look at.
I would love skins, such as playing as Frog Suit Mario.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Man, I completely overlooked character art. Nice work for pickin up my slack.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Do what they do with advance wars. You get battle points from only campaign and war room fights, not vs. matches, and you have to unlock the character's availability in the store. In DS to unlock the big bad guy, Von Bolt, you have to beat Campaign, Advanced campaign, and then come up with 5000 points.

In this way, you can still have interesting ways to unlock chars, but you can make it risky too. You pay money too fight a character in some kind of colosseum, and if you win you get the new char. If not, you have to come up with the money again and play. BUt don't make them too expensive, or It'll be too annoying getting more money. You could also have money to buy extra costumes beyond the traditional color change ones. Like, you could buy a costume for mewtwo where he has all that armor on, or you could buy the light suit for samus. You could also get every other kind of unlockable this way, and you could make a kind of special money making mode for fast cash(you got money SO slowly in Melee).
well, to keep the element of surprise, they could just make the character in the shop not specificaly listed as "<insert character name> ---- 5,000 coins." maybe make it a suprise box or something similar? there would be more then one box so you wouldn't go "hmm?... a single surprise box? that seems like it would be something important!". that way you still wouldn't know what character it was. and as somone said earlier, you would need to fight them to acualy unlock them, and if you lose you need to pay for them again (maybe at a discount the second time, so it dosn't get frustrating).

and trophy shops would work out good. but I would still like to be able to randomly find them during adventure mode too (if they bring it back that is)
Combine these two and you have an awesome idea. If these two are combined I support it completely.

T-major

Smash Champion
I would love a shop.... the miis could be shopkeepers!
I was thinking Tom Nook. I don't think he would be a good character choice. it would be better to represent him (and animal crossing) by making him run the shop (if there is one that is), and by having items from animal crossing (Pit fall FTW)

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of some, chracters, stages and trophies being unlocked. But when everything is in a store your forced to do the same boring that earns the most coins, and intially causes the gam to become stale. Maybe 500 coins for a stage, or 1500 for a character. But I like this idea, somewhat.

Sensai

Smash Master
I like the idea of Nook. That hadn't even occurred to me.

You know the trophy room in Melee? How it had all those subtle references to Nintendo games (subtle being the Pikmin references)? I'd love for something like that in the shop (or, getting off topic, somewhere).

FireBomb

Smash Lord
"Welcome, welcome! Please! Feel free to look around. Take your time!"

Let's see, what else can be available... alternate themes and new items?

"Why, yes, that would be the Bumper. It sells for 1,000 coins. It's quite a bargain, yes? Would you like to buy it?" ::Buys:: "Thanks much!!! Yes, that's precisely 1,000 coins. Excellent counting, yes?"

I always did miss that stupid Bumper. ::Leaves store::

"Thanks much! Please, do come again. We'll be waiting, hm?"

T-major

Smash Champion
I like the idea of Nook. That hadn't even occurred to me.
I'm surprised I thought of it too.

::EDIT::
To make this post on topic, I have an idea. now, if the store did appear in Brawl, maybe they could use the WiiConnect 24 thing to upload new things in? nothing major like characters or stages. possibly just bonus stuff like new trophies, or maybe art (if they put in a gallery), things like that.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised I thought of it too.
Know what I just thought of similiar to Nook? Crazy Redd! He could drop by like every Saturday to sell you rare new items and trophies at riducolsly high prices.

If you don't by them your CRAAAZZZZYYYYY!:dizzy:

Good Tom Nook impression by the way :chuckle:.

T-major

Smash Champion
Know what I just thought of similiar to Nook? Crazy Redd! He could drop by like every Saturday to sell you rare new items and trophies at riducolsly high prices.

If you don't by them your CRAAAZZZZYYYYY!:dizzy:

Good Tom Nook impression by the way :chuckle:.
acualy, Crazy red would be a good idea if you ask me. he would run the at a certant time (like saturday 8:00pm to 9:00pm) and would sell you items that you couldn't get any other way.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Buying alternate costumes is an exellent idea. Stages is good too, or maybe just stage effects, like weather. Characters, not so much. It could work, I just fear there'd be too many characters for sale, and that'd kinda stale the old way of unlocking them.

Sensai

Smash Master
/thread

Seems like we all agree, which is probably the only time in the history of the boards that we've assimilated a group of people and agreed on something.

Amazing.

Top Bottom