• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story time with (Lux)-The Legend of EAlert aka the Fastest Pivot Grab from Down Under

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
When I first started playing, the first question I ever asked EAlert to test for me was something along the lines of "I feel like the boost pivot grab is better than a pivot grab to punish nado because you slide further in spacing. Is this true or am I crazy?" AFter waiting patiently for a couple weeks, he finally gave me the answer saying "Pivot grab slides further if done correctly so it spaces better." And from that point it was the end of the discussion.

Recently, I began a change in my style of play that I've dubbed "2011 Climbers". I'm essentially attempting to compile the metagame advancements that EA and I have come up with along with a contributions from a few other notables and put them into one package. As I began doing it, one of my previously stronger matchups, the Metaknight matchup, began to destroy me with one move: Mach Tornado.

So I'm sitting here wondering if I should go and rethink my life or my 2011 Climbers. Rather than reverse course on this particular matchup, I decided to try to understand better why I wasn't punishing nado correctly. I began to notice two scenarios would present itself:

1. The MK would use Nado from far away- This gave me time to punish. And when I punish things, I punish it in the only way I know how- to pivot grab it. Either that, or I had time to shield and chase and we all know how the story goes from there.

2. The MK would use Nado from super close- This didn't give me time to punish. I would either get hit by nado because I was doing something stupid in the matchup or if I read the nado correctly, I would accidentally roll into the nado and get punished anyway despite my hard read.

So I went to examine more short comings in scenario 2 and why they occurred. Me being me, I decided to look at the frame data:

Code:
Initial Dash
Total - 21
F-Roll Cancel: 1-6
Dashdance: 2-7

Reverse Initial Dash
[Must hold back for 2 frames or will not dash]
Total - 22
B-Roll Cancel - 1-2
F-Roll Cancel - 3-7
Dashdance: 3-8
If you know what you're looking at, it means revealed why I was accidentally rolling when I grabbed. By pressing the grab button and back, I was essentially roll canceling the dash because the grab is a hotkey for shield + attack. The shield part activates the roll cancel when dashing.

However, I remember that by hitting cstick down, you can do straight into a dash attack out of initial dash. Which made me logically conclude that if you can dash attack directly out of initial dash, boost pivot grabbing will make you circumvent the roll cancel frames of the initial dash. Which means that you could boost pivot about 6 frames faster than you could execute a normal pivot grab without fearing a roll cancel.

So I went to tell EA, "HA, I win. You're wrong. Lux +1, EA -1."
And then he said, "FUUUUUU. Way ahead of you bro"

Where he agreed with my assessments and he had already worked out the fastest way to pivot grab out of a stand still.

Essentially the inputs are to dash in a direction for a frame. The cstick the reverse direction. Then hit grab. All while holding the dash.

I repeat,

THE FASTEST EASIEST WAY TO PIVOT GRAB OUT OF A STANDSTILL IS TO USE A BOOST PIVOT GRAB WITH THE FOLLOWING INPUTS:

DI Input to Dash (do not let go)> Cstick in Reverse Direction > Grab Button

This is superior to what I thought was the fastest way to boost pivot using cstick down and all kinds of control stick flicks. If done on consecutive frames, it's a stutter step fsmash that's canceled into a boost pivot grab.

If done correctly, this will actually come out faster than an fsmash by 1 frame. And the reward is higher. But the bigger gain is, the faster we can do things, the longer we can reasonably wait after realizing we're getting nado'd so we are less likely to get baited into doing things.

You can also incorporate it into CGs. For example. If you have a hard time CGing Jigglypuff, this gets rid of roll canceling during the CG. I'll look into if it's useful for any of the other characters.

I hope this helps people. In my CPU practice, it's already been helping me. Please don't respond, "This was already known." I'm sure it's been discovered already. Sometimes we just need a reminder of what's good and right in this world.

DeLux

Update: In theory from frame testing, it's technically possible to circumvent the roll cancel frames by being frame perfect with the reverse input and grab. However, it's difficult (if not impossible), to achieve this back to back frame perfection consistently.
It's essentially attempting to be frame perfect while attempting to dash dance at double the normal speed. So all that being said, I'm willing to bet you can do three inputs with 3 fingers faster than 3 inputs with 2 fingers.

And if you mess up the version in the thread, you will simply fsmash, which goes through nado. The alternative method will roll cancel. Which was the whole problem we were trying to get around.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Good read. Definitely a better punish than forward smash when MK nados close. Will look into adding this into my game.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
nice research guys, but I still dont see the third box ganon, where is it?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I kinda just turned off my wii, so I cant try it out now. Tomorrow is another day though.

Great research DSG+Nathan. You guys need a team name.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just read the big part as I am lazy as hell.

So you mean the dash in the opposite direction and mash the cstick and then controlstick+to the opposite direction? Or is this different somehow?

Anyways, good read that I didn't read :)

DeLux

If you dash right, you hit cstick left. If you dash left, you hit cstick right. Then hit grab.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh yeah that's how I do it with MK usually. It's not really hard or anything, but it's not so commonly talked about here.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I need to start boost pivot grabbing with ICs I guess it seems like it will help in the Metaknight matchup. I am curious about one thing though, how much of an extension is the Ice Climbers grab range when it is boost pivoted?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I do it using R attack instead of the cstick, should be the same framewise and easier since I have hand independency issues.

DeLux

I need to start boost pivot grabbing with ICs I guess it seems like it will help in the Metaknight matchup. I am curious about one thing though, how much of an extension is the Ice Climbers grab range when it is boost pivoted?
It's difficult to convey spacing over the boards, but I'll put it this way. When executed from the same spot, I've been able to use this technique to boost pivot grab a stationary character at lengths that standing grab couldn't reach. There is a hitbubble video that shows exactly how much, but I'd guess it's about half a climber in width.

I do it using R attack instead of the cstick, should be the same framewise and easier since I have hand independency issues.
It would end up being the same frame wise. However, you still have to flick your control stick in two different directions which in such small timing is troublesome. In which case, you might as well standard pivot grab.

The advantage of this method is that you don't have to input two inputs with one finger/thumb at any point. And if you mess it up, you'll fsmash in the direction of the nado, which wins you the trade in a non-0-to-death fashion

B0NK

Smash Lord
Standing

Dash

Pivot

DeLux

Not that we should be complaining, but I would totally trade some of that horizontal range for some vertical range on the pivot grab.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The grabs have much more vertical range than those pictures indicate, I'm reasonably certain that those screencaps are the second frames of each grab.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, EA's the best, funny thing is, I actually told him about this in the first place very soon after I first joined the community (Ted can back me up if you want). So what does that make me?

Also, Luke, the third box does exist man, I swear it does.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol, he did originally let me know about it, I never said I invented it or anything. :)
I did, however, do a fair bit of testing on it on my own after that.

Roller -- Yeah, I can agree with that. I wasn't completely sure about the dashgrab but standing and pivot are definitely frame 2. dashgrab should give a better indication of height, although I believe pivot is even higher frame 1.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
It's difficult to convey spacing over the boards, but I'll put it this way. When executed from the same spot, I've been able to use this technique to boost pivot grab a stationary character at lengths that standing grab couldn't reach. There is a hitbubble video that shows exactly how much, but I'd guess it's about half a climber in width.
Awesome, I'll go watch the video sometime today when I'm not in class.

That's what I see vvv

o well, there it is again
Dang, the first 2 images are so sad, as in grab length, but the pivot almost looks doubled. The boost pivot will probably end up getting 1/4 or 1/2 Climber boost like Cheese said.

You would know better than I, they're from your video xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag4JkYeC5o&t=4m6s
Quoting this to watch it later.

I just wish we could have a horizontal and vertical grab :(
^^^^^^^^ win.

B0NK

Smash Lord
just because i can i took another look at the video to see if i could screen cap the first frame of the pivot grab:

i believe that's it, but correct me if i'm wrong

DeLux

I'm surprised we even had productive discussion/information from this thread. I was about 90% sure it was going to get locked.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
(
Lux
)
i dont think this boost pivot grabs...i think its just a pivot grab..i tested this on falco and couldn't get the slide like i do when i reg boost pivot grab..

DeLux

It's definitely some form of attack canceled grab attempt. For Ice Climbers specifically, there is actually a noticeable difference in sliding distance when using this tech of input and when you do a standard pivot grab out of dash. Thus why it's posted in the Ice Climber specific board.

Try doing a Bthrow CG with this Tech on a character. And compare it with the normal pivot grabbing cg that is typically done. You'll definitely see a difference in spacing.

If I understand the mechanics correctly, because you cstick sideways first, it counts as changing directions for stutter step rather than actually doing a dash attack. It might simply be a manipulation of the low traction properties of the ICs. Either way, it has the same properties of a boost pivot grab, rather than a regular pivot grab for this character.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am not sure if this is the place to ask, but when I CG, I have trouble buffering the bthrow, I am now afraid they might mashout, it usually causes Nana to roll or something when I try to do it, so how do you do it? If I learn it, my grabs become unmashable, which is huge for me.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
By definition, grabs are ALWAYS MASHABLE. Remember that every frame counts in a perfect world, but the thing is, its not a perfect world.

Please, please, please remember people, take your time with your grab. That was really my problem, and still is. You just need to take your time because 9/10ths of the time, you're probably going too fast for them to mash anyway. Unless KPrizzle's mashing thing catches on really hard, or you're playing Reflex, its not as serious of a crisis as you think.

So LzR, just go to training and work on getting it CONSISTENT, then work on the speed that you can buffer everything.

DeLux

I think based on some frame data calculations, some of the heavies will end up being unmashable at frame perfection. Like once you get past the list of characters you have to shield buffer (aka like half the cast), then those cease being mashable, especially if there are any percent damage on the character based on the grab break formula.

Guest needs to do a heavy for his chart to confirm this. But for now, Enda is right. Assume it'll be slightly mashable at low percents and just focus on being consistent and efficient. Not necessarily perfectly fast.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I can buffer fthrow just fine and it's not too hard. They shouldn't be able to mash out, but just in case...

Top Bottom