• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
  • Biggest bonus is that it allows you to drift your aerials backward. If you notice, with C-stick set to Smash, when you run forward and do a SH F-air, but want to drift back to space it properly, you don't really "drift back", you just kinda... stop. With the C-stick set to attack you get more control over your momentum during aerials, ala Brawl/Melee.
  • Makes pivot-tilting significantly easier,imo
  • Gives you an option to U-tilt easily, even with tap jump on.
  • Personally, I find that it enables you to buffer aerials much more easily as you are relying on one button vs. 2
If you've been using default controls, and are super comfy with TJ on... I'd recommend leaving it on, and mapping C-stick to attack.
To address your first point: all you have to do is let go of the c stick quicker. Since now you can charge smash attacks with the stick, it keeps reading the c sticks input over the analog sticks. If you let it go back to neutral you can regain control with the analogue stick.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Shouldn't we make a 1.10 update thread?
...should I make it myself?

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think that R.O.B. has no changes this time though.
Maybe we should make a thread for all future updates instead of 1 thread per update.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, no changes for R.O.B. this time (Ness social thread has a link to an article with all the changes). Maybe we can get his old Up Throw back next patch...

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, so I performed something rly strange with rob today vs a sheik. I was next to an edge with gyro in my hands and I was edge guarding. I was facing the stage (my back on sheik) and he ledge grab. At that exact moment I throw my gyro down and went for an up smash few steps away from my gyro... I didn't have though because my gyro spiked sheik... Is it something new with this new version? It didn't happen again (although I didn't try it many more times to tell you the truth).

Can anyone test if its a thing now?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Neat find! Maybe we did get something new this patch.

1FC0

Smash Lord
This sounds like the Gyro just knocking Sheik against the ledge using awesome but already known Gyro physics and not like something new to me.

The Gyro knocks opponents that it hits into the direction that you faced while throwing or dropping it. So if you throw or drop it on someone that is at the same side of the stage as you whiile you are facing the stage then that someone will be knocked towards the stage. If you knock someone that is hangng at the ledge towards the stage then depending on the shape of the ledge this can result in a stage spike on that someone.

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Mr eric did a stage spike almost the same as mine in his ladder matches vs a sheik. His was absolutely a stage spike, mine seemed like a direct 90 deg vertical spike, but maybe I am wrong. Anyhow if one can spike like this consistently and it proves a valid edge guard then fine by me :)

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Mr eric did a stage spike almost the same as mine in his ladder matches vs a sheik. His was absolutely a stage spike, mine seemed like a direct 90% spike, but maybe I am wrong. Anyhow if one can spike like this consistently and it proves a valid edge guard then fine by me :)
I haven't heard of something like this before. But if people do start to use this frequently and it works, people will catch on and tech it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I haven't heard of something like this before. But if people do start to use this frequently and it works, people will catch on and tech it.
I haven't really caught on to any of your tricks in our battles...

I know what you're going to do, but dunno how to punish it/counter...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If you can tell me specifically what I do that you want to punish than I will tell you what you can do with each character you main.
Alright. I'll post something in the conversation a bit later. Busy right now. Thanks.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I was playing against Villager today and using the Gyro to defend myself against Lloid's. Sometimes when I fired the Gyro against Lloid the Gyro would bounce back, but I also think that the Gyro just disappeared a few times when it hit the Lloid.

I know that shields always make the Gyro disappear but aside from that what determines if the Gyro will disappear or bounce on collision? This could be pretty handy to know so I can know when I am going to be able to recatch the Gyro and when not in advance.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Were you using uncharged gyros every time, or did any of them bounce on the ground? It might have something to do with general priority rules.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So how did this thread turn into the question thread? I think it was meant to be the social originally.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Eh, what's done is done. It doesn't much mind me, since I usually get more notifications from the social than this one.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Has R.O.Bs fair always been able to trip people? Or f tilt? I swear to jesus I've seen those moves trip at least 3 times now, I hope it's not just my eyes tricking me.

Plategoron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plategoron
When exactly do you lose the gyro in your hands, when being hit?
It looks kinda random to me. Sometimes one weak hit is enough to make me lose it, while at other times I can take 5 falcon uairs and still hold it.

I hope there is some kind of rule, that defines, whether I'll lose it or not, since it's very important to know your options, especially after being hit and potentially still being under pressure.

jset818

Smash Cadet
A really noob question. How do pros pick up items (gyro, banana) on the ground with an aerial attack?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
A really noob question. How do pros pick up items (gyro, banana) on the ground with an aerial attack?
If you're close enough to an item, using an aerial will automatically pick it up.
It's like pressing attack right next to it on the ground, except in the air.

jset818

Smash Cadet
If you're close enough to an item, using an aerial will automatically pick it up.
It's like pressing attack right next to it on the ground, except in the air.
I'm standing next to the item and hitting jump and A as fast as I can. It's not working. Is there a trick to it?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm standing next to the item and hitting jump and A as fast as I can. It's not working. Is there a trick to it?
Try doing that with a F-air instead, I think it's easier to do. You should also probably try doing a F-air while landing.

jset818

Smash Cadet
Okay, another question. I see Mr. Eric do this a lot. Why doesn't some Rob players charge their gyro all the way? Even when they have the time to.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Okay, another question. I see Mr. Eric do this a lot. Why doesn't some Rob players charge their gyro all the way? Even when they have the time to.
The Gyro will reach max damage output long before it is fully charged. I think that charging beyond full damage output only increases the range when the Gyro is shot and the time that the Gyro will stay spinning if it lands on the ground right after being shot.

I think that the difference in damage output between fully charged and not charged at all is only about 2%. I miss the SSBB Gyro in this regard because charging the Gyro could make it do 18% there.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How hard would you say it is to play ROB and become at least decent with him? Been playing him a bit more lately and thought I might pick up ROB as a pocket for fun & games, kind of feels like playing Mega Man in some ways and good for a little diversion when I'm not being serious: We're both robots, we're both zoners, we both spawn items, and we both suck at close range. Since we kinda suffer the same weaknesses its not for competition tho, although I might have fun screwing around in money matches with my friends sometimes with this. But if this character is too tough to be a pocket, I'll have to back out.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd say that if you've got a good idea of how the game works, R.O.B. shouldn't take much time to learn.

FalconXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItalianFalcon
Two questions:

1. Is there a certain reason why some ROB mains like using Castle Siege as a counterpick? I know there's a stage discussion thread and all, but it hasn't discussed Castle Siege yet and i'm curious if there's a simple reason why a ROB player might like going there. Some people have told me that ROB is good on Castle Siege, but I don't really understand why or how.

2. Any advice for playing ROB in 2v2? Friendly fire seems to be my biggest issue in teams when I use ROB since I find it hard to use my laser and some other attacks without hitting my team-mate. Also what range should I be playing with ROB in teams, and if I were to use ROB is there a certain character that does good teamed with him?

Plategoron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plategoron
1. Castle Siege is the typical counterpick against projectile users. But unlike almost all the other projectile users, the statues in the 2nd transformation don't really harm rob. The laser just goes through and the gyro gets blocked, which actually helps you to pick up the gyro in a safer way.
I think, Castle Siege is a decent counterpick stage against other projectile users like Yoshi or Toon Link.

Personally, I always switch to Ike for 2v2s, so can't really give you advice on playing rob in teams.

Btw, my question is still valid, if anyone has an answer:
When exactly do you lose the gyro in your hands, when being hit?
It looks kinda random to me. Sometimes one weak hit is enough to make me lose it, while at other times I can take 5 falcon uairs and still hold it.

I hope there is some kind of rule, that defines, whether I'll lose it or not, since it's very important to know your options, especially after being hit and potentially still being under pressure.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
How hard would you say it is to play ROB and become at least decent with him? Been playing him a bit more lately and thought I might pick up ROB as a pocket for fun & games, kind of feels like playing Mega Man in some ways and good for a little diversion when I'm not being serious: We're both robots, we're both zoners, we both spawn items, and we both suck at close range. Since we kinda suffer the same weaknesses its not for competition tho, although I might have fun screwing around in money matches with my friends sometimes with this. But if this character is too tough to be a pocket, I'll have to back out.
Rob actually does okayish up close, since he's got a scary kill throw and powerful tilts to help things out a bit if people come in. That being said, you obviously want them at at least midrange for some breathing room. For a Robotic Operating Buddy, he sure is combo meat.

I'd say that if you play megaman already, Rob shouldn't be too hard to work at. The biggest thing you need to get a handle on is his gyro, so once you've got that down you're mostly set- obviously there're a few other things to pick up here and there, but spikey dredle is top priority.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Megaman is bad and he drops his item behind him which makes Z-Dropped Aerials much less effective. This is another way in which Robotic Obliteration Buddy reigns supreme!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I wouldn't really say Megaman is BAD.... He's got a solid set of attributes and a plethora of tricky projectiles to help him out, and his item game is different from ours but still helps him plenty. He just requires a rather technical and cerebral player to get results-somebody who can make use of his many tricks to fake his opponent out.

1FC0

Smash Lord
He just requires a rather technical and cerebral player to get results-somebody who can make use of his many tricks to fake his opponent out.
Every character not named SSBB MK requires that.

But lets be honest, the Metal Blade sucks big time. The Gyro goes as far as that you can throw it, But the Metal Blade, despite being made of "metal", just disappears into thin air! How does that make sense? Even cotton candy makes a better weapon since at least it does not disappear like that!

On FG some scrubs make the mistake of trusting the Metal Blade and immediately throw it. You know what I do to defend myself? Literary NOTHING. I literary disrespect the Metal Blade like it is nothing. And you know what happens? It disappears right before my eyes. I thought about dubbing the Metal Blade something like the Defecated Blade blade but since even a monkey's turd would probably reach further this would give the Metal Blade more respect than it deserves. Even Air Mans farts make for a better projectiles.

Compare that with the Gyro, which goes as far as one can throw it, and since R.O.B. is awesome, it can cover the whole length of FD and beyond when R.O.B. throws it. Now that demands RESPECT.

Sure Mega Man has a lot of projectiles, but in this case quality wins over quantity. We have the 2 best projectiles in the game, even our level 0 laser is a better projectile than Mega Mans FS.

So why would I care what turds of projectiles Mega man can poop out? Mega Man's projectile game is like 128 different monkeys flinging 128 different kinds of poop. R.O.B.'s projectile game is like having an AK47 and an AN602. Who would win?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol, depends on how smart and accurate the monkeys are. (No it doesn't, R.O.B. always wins).

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Metal Blade isn't necessarily worse, just different, and it has its own tech that sets it apart from our own gyro. Throwing it into the ground and picking it up again makes it do more damage on the rethrow, for example, and of course Megaman's glide toss is much longer than any other item character can really boast.

And really, that's the same for a lot of his projectiles. Lemons are weak but fast, making them easy to outprioritize but difficult to punish otherwise. Crash Bomb forces opponents to either take the damage (bad) or shield the multihit (what Megaman wants you to do). Leaf Shield....I honestly have no clue, fairly certain that one actually IS bad.

Going off of your quick Brawl one-off reference, comparing his stuff to ours is like comparing Brawl MK to Ice Climbers. They're both amazing picks (and in fact it can be argued that Ice Climbers are actually BETTER, crazy as it sounds), but their strengths and weaknesses are drastically different. If you try to use Megaman's projectiles the same way we use ours, it won't work, because they're not designed to BE used like our projectiles.

(Another note on your Brawl reference, Meta Knight actually DOES take skill to play in that game- a big part of why he's so good is because he has a myriad of tech to choose from. Hence why I'd rather fight a good MK than, say, a campy Brawlimar that can get results without much understanding of the character.)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
(and in fact it can be argued that Ice Climbers are actually BETTER, crazy as it sounds)
That's because they are...

(Lol, just my personal preference, I'll take ICies over Meta Knight).

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
That's because they are...

(Lol, just my personal preference, I'll take ICies over Meta Knight).
Not as if it's all that unreasonable to consider... They're the royalty of chain throws in a game that's practically all about chain throws. The fact that Meta Knight can still be thought of as the superior one is a testament to the depth (and dominance) of the character.

Top Bottom