• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Savage ...
Well... He is awesome, very likely, if is popularity alone he is the biggest pick, because of that he is in almost every speculation/prediction/Leak but if we go to the "Hint category" he got nothing, I have yet to see a Hint to Mario RPG or a doll in anything smash related, but he can very well enter, they're just dropping no hints

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was hoping Sakurai would mention the ballot. I wasn't sure if he would, but I'm glad to know he's finally brought it up. Of course he doesn't say where K. Rool placed, just that he did very well.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Something that bothered me about Isaacs assist trophy was how his psynergy hand was a weird yellow/green colour.

If Isaac gets in I really hope the hand psynergy actually looks like it does in the gba games. (and Dark Dawn) Like white gloves almost, sort of like mini master hands.

I just don't look at the hand psynergy Isaac creates in Brawl and think "Yes that looks iconic, that's what I remember from playing Golden Sun"
This is going to sound silly bit what if the color change was so that some fans/kids didn't think that Isaac was the Mastermind behind Master Hand since the hands were roughly the same size lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was hoping Sakurai would mention the ballot. I wasn't sure if he would, but I'm glad to know he's finally brought it up. Of course he doesn't say where K. Rool placed, just that he did very well.
I'm kinda surprised he's mentioned the ballot. The way they've been wording it in the reveal trailers has been very vague about where the popularity came from. Though I guess it goes without saying that it's the ballot when you get characters like King K. Rool and Shovel Knight showing up in Smash.

It definitely makes me hopeful for Isaac, we were really strong during the ballot period so I hope we made our mark.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm willing to bet that Isaac was one of the strongest contenders in the West as far as the ballot was concerned. If K. Rool won in Japan (and it's pretty clear he did, given all the polling data), Isaac definitely won in the West (excluding joke characters).

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I'm willing to bet that Isaac was one of the strongest contenders in the West as far as the ballot was concerned. If K. Rool won in Japan (and it's pretty clear he did, given all the polling data), Isaac definitely won in the West (excluding joke characters).
Not just in the West, but also in Europe as what we've learned lately.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
This is going to sound silly bit what if the color change was so that some fans/kids didn't think that Isaac was the Mastermind behind Master Hand since the hands were roughly the same size lol.
in my headcannon Isaac controls Smash 4 master hand (well master hand "died" in brawl) and a drunk Felix/Garet control crazy hand

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Whenever I see SK, for some reason I think Spiral Knight.

Also, had my first character get downed in my PPO run, and I'm sure you guys will never guess who it was.

Shocking, right? Bear strong.
I think if you move Isaac to the first spot of the party he won't die as much. Since dmg from monsters normally go to the center. So Ivan Garret Isaac and Mia is the best lineup I belive.

What kind of items could Golden Sun get for Smash?
Djinn, def the Djinn. They could be like Mr. Satern but if you hit em they attack you.
Isaac for Mario Tennis Aces
If Isaac aint in Smash Camalot should just throw GS characters in the sport games. The music from Aces already sounds super GSish

I’m pretty sure Gamefaqs is mostly made up of children since it’s such an accessible site. Younger fans probably don’t have access to a GBA and are more for recent characters getting into Smash.
There’s a war on 4chan between the old gamers who want Isaac, Geno, and Banjo and the youngest ones who want Rex, Shantae, and Bandana Waddle Dee.
Yep! Plus I think all the Ashley creepy fans are just going after anyone.
It's a divide between Old Nintendo fans vs New. So far we got a bunch of Old Style Characters.

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun also was pretty popular here in Austria. We played Golden Sun back in the days at public pools and talked a lot about it

Arteen

Smash Lord
He also mentioned Western popularity for Dark Samus, so Sakurai seems to genuinely be taking international popularity into account.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I mean K. Rool probably won in the west too but I get what you're saying.

I'm kinda surprised Dark Samus was a popular pick according to Sakurai. Though I would guess the barrier to entry for echoes was probably a bit lower.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
He also mentioned Western popularity for Dark Samus, so Sakurai seems to genuinely be taking international popularity into account.
Wasn't that already obvious with inclusions like Little Mac and Ridley? When was the last time we got a character that was only popular in Japan?

ferioku

Smash Ace
Dang, I go for a day and this thread's already like 10 pages ahead of when I last commented. Good on y'all! I've gotta say, it feels weird knowing that Isaac is, for the first time ever, at the forefront of people's minds. I've had the pleasure of introducing a lot of new people to the franchise myself through my preaching of Isaac, so there's even more supporters starting to appear for our boy.

So, assuming we don't get any information shown at Gamescom, I assume the next big event (Not including a Nintendo Direct) is the Tokyo Game Show, right? Have we ever had any reveals at or around the time of that event before, for anything Nintendo, not just Smash?
This is very important as well, imagine if we don't get him as an Assist trophy nor a Character! It opens up a potential for us to get him as future DLC.
I'm still going to be holding onto that grain of salt until I can confirm with my eyes that Isaac is a playable character, so until proven otherwise, i'm calling 50/50!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I find it really interesting how Sakurai says "I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time". That makes it sound like his main focus for the roster of this Smash Bros was the ballot. (I mean....that's basically what he said. :p)

Which could conflict with how Vergeben is saying a 7th gen Pokemon is playable. Unless Pokemon just turns out to be the exception. (which I could see happening)

I feel like Pokemon was in a funny place regarding the ballot, since there's always a number of popular Pokemon picks. I could see none of them amassing enough votes to make an impact. Sceptile seemed like the front runner but I don't get the impression he was among the top picks for the ballot.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Honestly, I think Sakurai confirming 100% that he is referring to the ballot for Ultimate is the biggest piece of info we've had in our favour this entire speculation cycle. Isaac's only chance was with the ballot, we all knew that going into this, and here the creator of the game is literally saying that's what he's basing newcomers off of.

It's a great time to be an Isaac fan.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Pokemon was in a funny place regarding the ballot, since there's always a number of popular Pokemon picks. I could see none of them amassing enough votes to make an impact. Sceptile seemed like the front runner but I don't get the impression he was among the top picks for the ballot.
This could still imply that the Gardevoir leak is legit, she's pretty popular.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There goes my hopes for unexpected characters lol but at least it works in favor of Isaac and that's good to me.
Unexpected characters can still happen, but they probably need a small amount of ballot support at least. And we'd only get one at best.

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
It's getting harder and harder to not get too excited by the day. ****, I'm usually an optimist at heart, but I've been trying my very best to not get my hopes up again. This time around however, it looks like things are finally in our favour. Let's hope for the best.

ferioku

Smash Ace
All I can say is I did a good bit of contribution, got a bunch of friends to sign it, did it in multiple computers with different IP Addresses and told them to spread the word to their friends too xD. I even went as far as to make a page in support of him, however, the question is, was that enough?

Machete

Smash Ace
Sakurai basing choices in the ballot was obvious since Ridley and especially K.Rool made it in. Isaac was definitely one of the biggest names back then and he doesn’t have many of the cons other ballot front runners might have.

I legit think Isaac will be in. Best of lucks, Isaacfans!

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the article, Sakurai does put a big emphasis on the "100 stages," so that makes me a little bit worried about the chance of getting a Golden Sun stage. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This could still imply that the Gardevoir leak is legit, she's pretty popular.
That's kind of a double edged sword though isn't it? Since Gothitelle isn't really a popular Pokemon.

Why would they add Gothitelle as an echo of Gardevoir when they could use those resources to create an echo that was actually popular on the ballot?

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
He may have said that, however he noted that there were truly 103 reveled including smash originals. I doubt that they would be against adding a new one to break the perfect number
Regarding the article, Sakurai does put a big emphasis on the "100 stages," so that makes me a little bit worried about the chance of getting a Golden Sun stage. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Sakurai confirming that the Ballot matters for Ultimate is huge! I'm getting real excited for Isaac now. My only problem is, how well did he do exactly?

Istry555

Smash Cadet
You know, if Isaac does get in, the fact that his AT was removed last game might've been a blessing all along. I know quite a few people who have said they didn't vote for x on the ballot because they were already AT (as the assumption was that the ballot was for DLC). Isaac being an AT might've have cost him a few votes (and the removal of the AT no doubt also motivated a few Issac fans to vote for him as well).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
You know, if Isaac does get in, the fact that his AT was removed last game might've been a blessing all along. I know quite a few people who have said they didn't vote for x on the ballot because they were already AT (as the assumption was that the ballot was for DLC). Isaac being an AT might've have cost him a few votes (and the removal of the AT no doubt also motivated a few Issac fans to vote for him as well).
And there would have also been that slight chance that he'd end up as an assist trophy three times in a row like Lyn and Waluigi and popular characters like Ashley still got her assist trophy ported over from 4.

But yeah there's no doubt that Isaac's assist mysteriously disappearing in 4 led to raised eyebrows and an outcry of his return.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sakurai taught one thing that is for certain.

Characters from 2017 and beyond are screwed in getting into the base game.

* i know it isn't relevant, but i thought i'd share it.*

Last edited:
Top Bottom