• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Surprise, it's Unstoppabrawl! (Looking for local players!)

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Not taking this personally at all. In fact, your post is very much appreciated.

Okay, first I want to say I never touched your Ice Climbers PAC files. All edits to Nana (and nearly all to Popo) are in the hex code itself. As to why I didn't add the pummel speed reduction, I... well, honestly I think I thought the change was for some other purpose. I'm sorry about that one; should have done my research. That infinite will be removed in the next build (whenever that is).

As for Mr. Game & Watch, you appear to have a legitimate concern here. As it is now, he does 44 damage to shields with his dash attack (with 70 being a shield break). Based on your arguments concerning lingering hitboxes, that may be... quite a bit much. The reason I increased its shield damage is because of how very unsafe it is, but if it's as good with this change as you're worried it is, that will definitely need to be fixed.

Concerning shields in general, it isn't my intention to make them as limited a resource as only being able to use them a few times per stock. They do recharge slower, but not that slow, unless you disagree after testing. My intention was more along the lines of shield damage actually meaning something. I mean, what characters could adequately pressure shields in vBrawl? I guess Marth and Mr. Game & Watch, but almost solely because they had a couple moves that were good for that. For quite a while during the production of Unstoppabrawl, I was adding shield damage to moves but had not yet reduced the shield recharge speed, and basically it just wasn't working; the only shield damage buffs that made a difference at that point were the really big ones. (Perhaps one thing that still needs to be added is a full recharge to shields after they are broken.)

Also I just want to add at the end here that I have a lot of respect for you and your work on Balanced Brawl. It's a great product and achievement, and I do not mean to belittle any aspect of it or yourself with my work on Unstoppabrawl. It's mostly out of personal taste that I've continued with my own mod instead of switching to the easier route of learning to play yours.

ss118

Smash Master
Since I thought of a concept very similar to this one, I want to point out exactly how this project is different than all the other available ones, and as such will probably have it's own seperate(and not as limited as you may think) fanbase.

The most used comparison is Brawl+, when in fact this is incredibly different from it. For one Brawl+ redirects the vBrawl physics system to enable actual combo-ing, as well as having general character balance, in terms of tiers. Meaning there does exist bad match-ups, but with a secondary that compliment your playstyle you can usually overcome any other combination of characters.

Balanced Brawl is also compared to this, primarily because they both leave the physics engine in-tact while editing characters to promote overall character balance. Balanced Brawl focuses more on match-ups than actual tiers: but then again, if all match-ups are even so are tiers. The difference here and there is that Balanced Brawl's "standard" character is lower than this game. What I mean by that is that this project chose a little bit under snake to focus the balance of characters. BBrawl went down farther than that, though I'm not exactly sure how far down AA went.

Finally we have Brawl-, which is known for making their characters very high tier. But since everyone is high tier, then no one is(though they are having issues with that imo but that's another story). They reworked the physics engine even more from vBrawl than Brawl+ did, so it's not that comparable in that respect.

Rather, what I think this project is is a combination of all three that appeal to an entire different audience. This has BBrawl's ideal on keeping the physics engine intact, Brawl-'s ideal on making everyone great so that no one stands out as overpowering, and then for Brawl+ it has...... character balance? I dunno, I honestly don't see why everyone compares this to Brawl+ in the first place. Finally, this game introduces something completely new in terms of Shield usage: sure it was a common factor in other smash games and mods, but not as much as an ordeal as it should be in Unstoppabrawl!

I think you should aim higher and make everyone as good as vBrawl Metaknight and keep MK the same while working characters around him to give the game balance: however, this is YOUR project, so I can't anything to make you do stuff. This is merely a suggestion.

I'll help any way I can. =)

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Random but, as a Mario main, we are very good at sheild pressuring with dair in vBrawl.
Mm, forgot about that one. Maybe others as well. (Probably should have looked at a list or something.) It's still the same deal, though: The character has a single move that can be used in this way, and the pressure needs to be done expertly in order for it to pay off.

I think you should aim higher and make everyone as good as vBrawl Metaknight and keep MK the same while working characters around him to give the game balance: however, this is YOUR project, so I can't anything to make you do stuff. This is merely a suggestion.

I'll help any way I can. =)
I actually originally intended to make Meta Knight the target, or even make everyone slightly higher than vBrawl Meta Knight so I wouldn't have to do any nerfing. This only lasted the first few months, however, as achieving that goal would make the game too different from the feel of vBrawl (like a toned down Brawl-). Meta Knight abuses the system of the game too much to be something to strive for in balance, to put it one way.

Thanks for your post and your intention to help out!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Balanced Brawl is also compared to this, primarily because they both leave the physics engine in-tact while editing characters to promote overall character balance. Balanced Brawl focuses more on match-ups than actual tiers: but then again, if all match-ups are even so are tiers. The difference here and there is that Balanced Brawl's "standard" character is lower than this game. What I mean by that is that this project chose a little bit under snake to focus the balance of characters. BBrawl went down farther than that, though I'm not exactly sure how far down AA went.
So basically, this is balanced brawl with the balance point aimed higher is what you're telling me.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Here's a wild idea...

Ever consider trying to make shield regeneration speed up if the character is attacking. This would really promote aggressive play - if the best way to regenerate shields was to take a chance and attack. Obviously if someone wanted to play defensively against this tactic, they would suffer shield loss. Thus they would be inclined to attack back. Also I know that you're interested in making all the moves viable, but I'd be careful as to how many effect shield damage and by how much.

It's a very interesting thing you have done here, and I'm curious as to how your changes will effect gameplay - especially the work on shields you have done as well as the prospect of balanced items. I hope that you get the full support of the mods here since I'm sure they can relate to the work a project like this requires and to do it by yourself no less. Anyways, good luck, and I plan to try this soon.

Edit: @ TSON: I think he was just referring to the balance of the game in relation to the tiers of characters in vBrawl. Its fair to say its like BB in that respect, but I think he's honestly striving to set this mod apart with changes to gameplay. Unlike BB, for instance, I think he's not concerned with making his mod as close to vBrawl as possible while still being balanced. He's trying to make something that in his own words "forces you to learn your characters again" even for a noncompetitive player. Still, I am concerned with where this mod will fit in. Only time will tell.

ss118

Smash Master
Silence: you would think so, but in this game he allows things such as chainthrowing(I think) and diddy's bannana spam. I think jab locks are still in, but I'm not sure to that, as that would involve me going to the very front page and checking. I'm on my phone typing this up, so I wouldn't like to go there and back and retype it all....

And then there is the shield thing and the minimalizing on luck(something completely opposite from brawl-'s ideals). I'm sure most of the other "goals" involve making all moves competively viable and having good character balance, so I won't claim that this is different in that respect. Making more strategies viable is something I haven't seen other games do. And if they attempt to, they haven't gone as far as this game.

<3 the shield concept. To the OPerson who made this, hit me up on AIM if you want to discuss changes extensively: I'm not sure how much input you got for this project over the year of development(I read something about playing in college), but I'm sure sharing ideas with someone who shares your ideals wouldn't hurt.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
So basically, this is balanced brawl with the balance point aimed higher is what you're telling me.
I'm still interested in if my own input on page two made sense to you.

Amazing Ampharos said:
G&W as an example is going to have a sickening shield pressure game in this...
Now I start going nuts with dash attack. Dash attack also lingers so it will be very hard if not impossible to spotdodge. If I hit your shield, I either take it down to super critical territory at which you can't block anything (which will be easy to maintain with slow shield regen) and get thrown, which I don't mind, or I break it outright...
For instance, what is Kirby supposed to do?...
Roll backwards? Jump? Take 11 damage, insignificant knockback, and smile?
Kirby specifically? Inhale? Shield->Uthrow? With the buff to the KB on Kirby's Uthrow, and the decrease in GW's weight, this could very easily become a dangerous situation for GW. At the very least, the heavy KB will space enough to allow Kirby to start his evasion while his shield regenerates.

I don't understand what the problem is, here.

I'm sure you know more than me, so if you wouldn't mind explaining why my solutions wouldn't work, I'd really appreciate it. :)

powerhouse said:
Though, seems like the shield pressuring will be more advantageous for some chars, than others...
Some characters build damage better, some characters hit harder, some characters gimp better, some characters recover better, some characters pressure shields better.
Right?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Essentially BBrawl with worse shields... it sounds pretty enticing, i wish the minus guys thought of this :G

Though, seems like the shield pressuring will be more advantageous for some chars, than others...

I always thought this would be a good idea, way back when. Completely forgot about it until now, though... unfortunately, i like my combos too much to step away from b-

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Here's a wild idea...

Ever consider trying to make shield regeneration speed up if the character is attacking. This would really promote aggressive play - if the best way to regenerate shields was to take a chance and attack. Obviously if someone wanted to play defensively against this tactic, they would suffer shield loss. Thus they would be inclined to attack back. Also I know that you're interested in making all the moves viable, but I'd be careful as to how many effect shield damage and by how much.
Interesting idea indeed, but that would take a massive amount of additional work to first implement and then balance. And I feel the modifications to shields that are already in place are enough to better balance offense and defense.

Silence: you would think so, but in this game he allows things such as chainthrowing(I think) and diddy's bannana spam. I think jab locks are still in, but I'm not sure to that, as that would involve me going to the very front page and checking. I'm on my phone typing this up, so I wouldn't like to go there and back and retype it all....
I might as well reply to this and say that jab locks and banana exploits have been removed via the same methods Balanced Brawl uses. (...or at least used before version 2, if that's changed since then.) A number of chainthrows are still in, though. (...to various extents. Falco's dthrow, for instance, still chains at 0%, but stops working much sooner than it used to.)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
See. Balanced Brawl with a higher reference point.
A generalization, but not an undue one. Just don't forget to consider his "mission statement" and how we wants to change the way you play. On paper, what he has so far might not look like much, but he has set the foundation for something that could set itself apart. But like I said earlier, as it is, its hard to say if it will find a place. The trick is that the creator will have to make it different enough to matter while staying true to his vision. It has some novel concepts alright, but can these really support the game by themselves? I don't know...

And don't forget to play nice TSON (and any other dev for that matter). This is a lone man's labor of love and the result is his own vision of brawl - something I'm sure you can relate too. So give constructive criticism and advice, since after all, you have the expertise to do so. :)

Slashy

Smash Lord
You should have air dodges eat your shields and make it that you go to helpless state if you run out of shield power in the air.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
See. Balanced Brawl with a higher reference point.
So I did make sense, then. Good to know.
Perhaps if I do so again, you'll switch to Brawl-.

While I the understand the comparison to BBrawl, I still think that it's as shortsighted as reading Ike's moveset(before you've played him) and announcing that he's a Marth clone. This mod does play similarly to BBrawl, but the differences can be noticed almost immediately, if you actually PLAY the mod. It may have some balance issues(still wondering about GW, for example) and I'd like to refocus on that, rather than target audience concerns.

As far as all target audience concerns go, they might be fun to debate later, but they're ultimately irrelevant. This mod's already had a full scale beta released and I doubt that its progression will halt, or even change, simply because "it's not going to fit in". According to the thread title, the purpose of this mod is not to get 10k downloads- it's to make brawl more balanced, and more fun. Let's discuss its ability to accomplish that.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
As far as all target audience concerns go, they might be fun to debate later, but they're ultimately irrelevant. This mod's already had a full scale beta released and I doubt that its progression will halt, or even change, simply because "it's not going to fit in". According to the thread title, the purpose of this mod is not to get 10k downloads- it's to make brawl more balanced, and more fun. Let's discuss its ability to accomplish that.
There's little doubt that it would accomplish these goals eventually, given time and support. In fact, every mod from BB to B- has, at its core, set the very same goals. They've all found different ways to do it and have attracted people with different interests. But without these people, who's to say whether these projects would exist at all?

Does anyone remember the "Kupo Set". It was a mod that was supposed to be a faster and more exciting version of Brawl than even B+. Unfortunately, despite the differences, it was swallowed up by B+ and a fledgling PM. It was fun and on its way to being balanced, but it didn't stand out enough... and it wasn't given enough time and support to do so. That's not to say the time and support of this community is required. GT could continue to work on this project alone, it would just take a lot longer and he'd end up with something nobody else had invested in.

However, discussing these issues here means we are already, in a small way, doing our part to help him. But he needs the support of his fellow developers and modders to believe this project can succeed in its goals and exist among its peers. But you are right todd, discussing the difficulties of attracting people to the game probably won't help bring them in. We need to start play testing or something and get other people involved to try it out with. Unfortunately, I admit that I'm not very knowledgeable and I can't help like a modder or experienced tester could. But its a start...

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Well, I am trying to spread the word about UnstoppaBrawl. I already told a few people about it, and its supposed to be going on Fsmash.org as I stated a few days ago. I'm sure if more people get the word about this mod, it will get much more support. As for me, I am learning PSA, but I still do not have enough knowledge to actually make full characters. I'll be happy to playtest and things like that as well.

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Yes, please. All reactions from actual playtesting will be much appreciated. There have been over fifty replies to this topic so far and none yet contain any hands-on impressions. No matter who you are, don't hesitate to post about your experiences playing Unstoppabrawl.

Note that I'm not complaining; it's very nice to see all the discussion and PR help this thread has prompted already. It's just that most of this has concerned the mod's future, rather than how it is at present. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here with speculation and suggestions; nothing significant is going to happen until people start playing.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
oh, with unstoppabrawl. i played it, but didnt notice too many changes. now i couldnt tell you what is normal, but because your changes werent radical like B-, i didnt really notice.

also, i tl;dr'd your changelist up there, so ill go back and read it, and see if i can notice anything.

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Heh, quite understandable. And you've made me think of something else I should mention.

No one has to read the changelist before playtesting, of course. It's not very helpful that way anyway, as who's going to remember all that? What I recommend is to have the changelist handy when you're playing, especially since there are plenty of changes that likely won't be noticed if you test only by playing Unstoppabrawl the same way you play vBrawl.

And to BSL specifically, thanks for being the first playtester to comment about doing so! Also I notice that you have a Luigi icon under your avatar; assuming he is indeed your main, you might want to check out my unfinished comments sheet (as talked about in the OP), as the section on Luigi in it is one of the few that is complete (for the beta, at least).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If I got to compare this with BBrawl, I'd say it's the same, but non-superconservative rebalance idea.

I like how it sounds, tho. Although it seems really weird, I'm gonna give it a shot later.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
There's little doubt that it would accomplish these goals eventually, given time and support. In fact, every mod from BB to B- has, at its core, set the very same goals. They've all found different ways to do it and have attracted people with different interests. But without these people, who's to say whether these projects would exist at all?

Does anyone remember the "Kupo Set". It was a mod that was supposed to be a faster and more exciting version of Brawl than even B+. Unfortunately, despite the differences, it was swallowed up by B+ and a fledgling PM. It was fun and on its way to being balanced, but it didn't stand out enough... and it wasn't given enough time and support to do so. That's not to say the time and support of this community is required. GT could continue to work on this project alone, it would just take a lot longer and he'd end up with something nobody else had invested in.

However, discussing these issues here means we are already, in a small way, doing our part to help him. But he needs the support of his fellow developers and modders to believe this project can succeed in its goals and exist among its peers. But you are right todd, discussing the difficulties of attracting people to the game probably won't help bring them in. We need to start play testing or something and get other people involved to try it out with. Unfortunately, I admit that I'm not very knowledgeable and I can't help like a modder or experienced tester could. But its a start...
Not to spark an argument but kupos set wasn't killed because of lack of interest, it ended because the B+ BR at the time did not like him splitting up the audience with his various test sets. It was part of the reasons why he ultimately left the B+ team.

If the posts have not been edited you may be able to find them where it nearly goes into a full flame war.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I played a little of it on cpus while reading the change list. I like the change to Ness's Magnet wind. It pushes far. Also wasn't expecting 10 repeat hits on his downthrow instead of five or Pk Flash launching em directly upwards. Nice. And it looks like his yoyos can link better.

As for the other character I play, I like what you did to Sonic's downair. That thing spikes nicely in the air. And his fthrow can finally lead into stuff. Nice 90 degree angle change on his upair also.

For Bowser, I like how you made him heavier. As Yoshi I was like woah, when I ended up breaking a shield with a single flutter kick. That's all I have for now.

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
As for the other character I play, I like what you did to Sonic's downair. That thing spikes nicely in the air. And his fthrow can finally lead into stuff. Nice 90 degree angle change on his upair also.

For Bowser, I like how you made him heavier. As Yoshi I was like woah, when I ended up breaking a shield with a single flutter kick. That's all I have for now.
Thanks for impressions! Couple comments on this: I call Sonic's dair in Unstoppabrawl "Chaos Kick" because of its new properties; also Yoshi's Flutter Kick, just going by the numbers, can't bring shields from full to broken in a single use, but can do quite a lot of damage to them if used expertly.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Yea, the cpu's shield was already depleted some before that kick. Anyway, anyone want to play some wifi with this?

NNID
Budget_Player
Hm, still talk of target audience problems, I see. Well, I'll say a few things further about this.

First of all, please, there is no comparing Unstoppabrawl to Brawl+. Brawl+ is for players who liked the feel of Melee more than Brawl. These people likely should only play Brawl+, as that is the only version of Brawl that is geared towards them. Unstoppabrawl does not touch Brawl's physics or hitstun formula. Nor does it alter any fighter's jump height or fall speed.

Second, if I'd thought that Balanced Brawl was going to do my work for me, Unstoppabrawl would have been abandoned when I first saw that mod's showcase. Balanced Brawl is solely for character and stage balance, not attack balance, Final Smash balance or mechanics balance. Balanced Brawl is for people who want the minimum number of changes to the game so it can be balanced for tournaments, people who want their characters to be as similar as possible to the designs on the disc. You say Balanced Brawl provides a smooth transition from vBrawl into a mod, and indeed it does, but this was never the intention of Unstoppabrawl. I stated plainly in this thread's OP, "You will likely have to relearn your character upon jumping into Unstoppabrawl." Unstoppabrawl intends to improve the game, keeping what works and altering anything that doesn't. No other mod has my changes to shields, or features the results of my dogged pursuit of making every attack in the game useful. For more options, more kinds of balance, more gimmicks (which you'll see once you try out the characters), and emphases on strategy and fun above all, I intend to make Unstoppabrawl the most likely mod to deliver.
/description of Brawl-

Seriously though, what's the target audience? All brawlers is a very bad target audience; they have four mods going already, and yours falls into niches on several, feeling almost like Brawl- without the hitstun buffs or BBrawl with a lot of odd character buffs.

The one thing that does sound fairly nice is fixing Final Smashes (and hopefully from there, fixing items?), which I think the other mods have ignored. If anything, working to balance this mod around fair items is an untapped avenue you may want to explore. Just, as is, it doesn't sound too different from the other mods for me to try it; no offense, it doesn't offer an appeal other Brawl mods don't already provide. Good luck, nonetheless.
This is really hard. Like, REALLY hard. We've been working on it, and fixing FSs like Fox's or Falco's is gonna be **** near impossible.

Anyways, I'll end up trying this at some point in the near future...

Juri

Smash Cadet
Why's everyone making a big deal about target audience?

Let him make what he wants, and let people decide what there own target is.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Why's everyone making a big deal about target audience?

Let him make what he wants, and let people decide what there own target is.
Pretty much that.
Anyways, what's the point of have a project you worked over one year all by yourself if nobody will play it?
The main problem with BBrawl wasis the low popularity it has, and UBrawl seems that will got the same problem.

This may doesn't look as solid as B+ or BBrawl, or as random as B-, but it's somehow an interesting idea.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
My 2 cents on chars:

Sonic: The fthrow changes are a nice touch for him. Although I think the stun dair he does when hitting the ground is a bit much and out of place. I do not know if you've seen project m's sonic but I think uB sonic would greatly benefit from having PM's homing attack which goes stright to the opponent rather than curve.
No clue if they're sharing that code though

Bowser: Seemed ok for the most part. Although I think having super frames on lanuch for his bowser bomb may be a bit too strong. Keeping it just for the height of the attack and plumit seems like it'd be better. Also kinda iffy on giving fsmash super armor as with the decreased shield recharge fsmash becomes indirectly better than it already was.

Would test some more but for some reason game locks up randomly. I"m using bionic's riivolutions settings and seems to happen with zss/samus.

EDIT:

I played a few matches online with a friend using bowser, ike, dk, sonic, mk, and pit. The games were all fun and the characters I did not mention seemed ok. But I really think the mod would be better if it was at least B+ speed. The excess hitlag just made everything seem so sluggish to a point where I only really enjoyed playing heavy hitters like ike or dk.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
@TC, I think that you have done a great job so far, especially when you did it by yourself. I love the fact that you are trying to stop the defensive play and make every move useful (unlike bbrawl). It seems to me that you have a lot of great ideas, but they need a lot more polishing. I think you should make fixing the glitches your top priority, then you should focus on balance. The freezing glitches will decrease the number of people that download and play your hack, and the less people that play your hack, the harder it will be to get the feedback that is necessary to make a good release.

Is there any reason in particular that you want to get rid of Metaknight's tornado? I don't see why you can't just nerf the knockback (like bbrawl did) or decrease the shield damage and leave it at that. Metaknight's tornado fits the character as he appears in kirby games. I don't think you should remove it unless you absolutely have to.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
@TC, I think that you have done a great job so far, especially when you did it by yourself. I love the fact that you are trying to stop the defensive play and make every move useful (unlike bbrawl). It seems to me that you have a lot of great ideas, but they need a lot more polishing. I think you should make fixing the glitches your top priority, then you should focus on balance. The freezing glitches will decrease the number of people that download and play your hack, and the less people that play your hack, the harder it will be to get the feedback that is necessary to make a good release.
+1

Is there any reason in particular that you want to get rid of Metaknight's tornado? I don't see why you can't just nerf the knockback (like bbrawl did) or decrease the shield damage and leave it at that. Metaknight's tornado fits the character as he appears in kirby games. I don't think you should remove it unless you absolutely have to.
Speculate: BBrawl doesn't "fix" MachTornado, it just makes it more difficult to abuse-if I understand correctly, the move can still infinite opponents in certain situations and its priority is nearly unmatched. Rest assured that GT isn't interested in removing MachTornado entirely. We've spoken on the subject a few times and we've generally agreed that the best scenario would be to replace MachTornado with Metaknight's swordbeam(that he's used in nearly every game he's in) and move Machtornado to his Final Smash. MT would have a completely new behavior, of course(the details of this have not been discussed). Balancing a Metaknight with a projectile certainly concerns me, but I think the idea is worth looking into.

NNID
Budget_Player
Fixing Mach Tornado is easy, just lower the hitbox size and make them transparent priority. Suddenly, it's really hard to connect with all of it, and easy to counter with a well-placed attack (or any projectile).

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
Fixing Mach Tornado is easy, just lower the hitbox size and make them transparent priority. Suddenly, it's really hard to connect with all of it, and easy to counter with a well-placed attack (or any projectile).
I don't have a good mental image of what your describing, but that sounds like it makes the move rather worthless, which isn't desirable either. By giving hitboxes transparent priority, do you end up with a move that has zero priority?

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
Sonic: Sonic's dair ("Chaos Kick") is one of a number of unorthodox changes I made. I should mention that many of these changes seem a lot better at first glance than they really are. As for his homing attack, PM's change to it (which I didn't know about) is an interesting one that I think may indeed be worth adding.

Bowser: Not sure what you mean by "super frames on lanuch". Do you mean when he lands or when he starts it from the ground? ...'cause the latter doesn't have super armor before the rising hit. Also, keep in mind that I removed the first hit of his forward smash, and only added two frames of super armor to it. The attack is quite a lot better in Unstoppabrawl than in vBrawl, but for reasons other than this one.

Samus: Uh-oh. She crashes the game? Is anyone who's not using Riivolution having this problem? I had trouble editing Samus without causing her to crash the game, but eventually found a way to get a build I liked without that problem. Hearing that it's happening again is worrying.

Meta Knight: WHOOPS, I just realized I accidentally had the wrong information in the change list about the changes to his Mach Tornado (and in the comments sheet too). The change I have on it now is still temporary (as mentioned at the end of the OP), but at least now I've edited the OP to accurately show what it is (and this will be fixed in the comments sheet too next time I update that). What happened was I mistakenly left in the change list one of the experiments I had done with Mach Tornado, instead of what I had settled on for the beta.
But anyway, the transcendent priority idea does sound like an interesting one. The only problem is that I don't know how to give hitbubbes that property (although I might be able to figure it out by analyzing in PSA some other moves I know have it). I think I'd still like some help balancing this move, though, if this route is taken.
That being said, I think I'd still prefer it to be completely different. In vBrawl it emulates Kirby's Tornado ability, which is just as overpowered in Kirby games as it is in vBrawl. Mach Tornado is quite a bit different when Meta Knight uses it in Kirby games; just take a look at its effects in Kirby Super Star. It would be interesting to make it more like that, I think (except, again, not overpowered, and definitely not invincible like it is there).

But I really think the mod would be better if it was at least B+ speed. The excess hitlag just made everything seem so sluggish to a point where I only really enjoyed playing heavy hitters like ike or dk.
I didn't change the hitlag on very many moves, actually. The speed of the game, though, was purposefully kept unchanged. My goal in making this hack is specifically to improve Brawl, not make it into what is essentially a new game altogether, like what Brawl+ has done. I'm sorry, but if you want a faster game, you'll have to look elsewhere; not all personal preferences can be met when they clash like this.

Heh, thanks, and you're quite right. This is the beta, after all, and "polish" is exactly what's needed. The glitches are indeed a high priority to fix (as is making Unstoppabrawl available to people who don't use the Homebrew Channel), but the thing is... they've all stumped me. I need the help of people on these forums if I'm going to much improve this mod beyond what's here already.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I've noticed that the glitch with ganon's fair (it has landing lag long after the move is finished) hasn't been fixed in the beta. Is there any reason for this?

GameTrekker

Smash Cadet
That would be because I didn't actually know about it when the beta was released.

I've heard Donkey Kong has a similar problem. I'll make sure this stuff is fixed in the next build.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Bowser: Not sure what you mean by "super frames on lanuch". Do you mean when he lands or when he starts it from the ground? ...'cause the latter doesn't have super armor before the rising hit. Also, keep in mind that I removed the first hit of his forward smash, and only added two frames of super armor to it. The attack is quite a lot better in Unstoppabrawl than in vBrawl, but for reasons other than this one.
When he starts it from the ground. I did not read your change list but to me the attack seemed to have SA at the first hitbox when bowser leaves the ground. I don't think bowser needs the SA at that point but keeping SA from when he reaches his height till he hits ground was alright.

I didn't change the hitlag on very many moves, actually. The speed of the game, though, was purposefully kept unchanged. My goal in making this hack is specifically to improve Brawl, not make it into what is essentially a new game altogether, like what Brawl+ has done. I'm sorry, but if you want a faster game, you'll have to look elsewhere; not all personal preferences can be met when they clash like this.

Of course. The game is still enjoyable and I think at least succeeds in the goals you aimed for.

Top Bottom