• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF-Dex: Make Your Own Pokemon!

JOE!

Smash Hero
but then we go back to the roots thing again: what is the concept behind an elephant having the fire typing?

Edit@ moozle:

ok, you chose it, then regret you do as it gets pwned by a bunch of pokemon before it's able to attack, and its weaknesses negate any defense or Hp is has

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Ganesh is supposedly red in color (according to the Wiki article I read) and his head was supposedly burned off as an infant, which required the elephant head transfusion (again, according to the article I read). The elephant is sacred in India, which is kinda known for its hot foods and stuff. It kinda makes sense to me.

And remember, the other two starters aren't set in stone yet (right?). They could change, Tuskorch could change, everything could change according to a vote. I don't think arguing about Tuskorch's design flaws will lead to anything, when it might not even be the finalized starter anyway.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
but then we go back to the roots thing again: what is the concept behind an elephant having the fire typing?
Does it matter? I made the Aquastrech and everyone seemed quite taken by it, and you still haven't explained what Tropius is based on. Besides, it would be easy to say that the elephant is based on both the African and Asian variants, so it has both the mystic and heat aspects to it.

EDIT: lol, ninja'd by flyin, and his works too.

Edit@ moozle:

ok, you chose it, then regret you do as it gets pwned by a bunch of pokemon before it's able to attack, and its weaknesses negate any defense or Hp is has
The only Pokemon this thing is going to have to deal with for the first part of the game is Rattatas and Pidgeys. He might not even have to deal with a gym type he's weak to if we plan it that way, unlike Charmander did. This isn't the only Pokemon that's going to be on a Trainer's team, you know.

JOE!

Smash Hero
elephants in afrcia live in scrubland more specifically, and not in the parts where there is constant fire as they need ****-tons of vegetation to eat.

so the fire doesnt make much sense

tropius is based on both a palm tree and a sauropod, similar to meganium, which are THE famous HERBivores of the dino's.

@Flyin:

tigers are very prominant in indian myth as well, and are related to destruction, which is more related to fire

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
elephants in afrcia live in scrubland more specifically, and not in the parts where there is constant fire as they need ****-tons of vegetation to eat.

so the fire doesnt make much sense
It even says in Neophant's description that it is extremely hot, which it would have from the heat it acquired from the African sun. Again, tell me why it's important that the concept has to make sense.
tropius is based on both a palm tree and a sauropod, similar to meganium, which are THE famous HERBivores of the dino's.
I get that, but why does it fly? I've never heard of flying palm trees or flying sauropods.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Edit@ moozle:

Nah I use NU and UU teams against OU teams. I'm used to getting owned, because it's just more fun when you win :)

JOE!

Smash Hero
it flies because it has the concept of having BIG palm leaves as wings, similar to how Slugma is a slug with lava instead of slime.

what we have with Neophant is an elephant that just happens to be...hot.

Elephants have no background with fire, so it would be fine if it had a conceptual gimmick like cyndaquil/tropius/slugma, yet it doesnt...it's just hot to the touch...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
lol well I wanted to avoid having this argument yet again but here's an idea: Why not come up with a different design for the starter and keep Tuskorch but for later in the dex? I find myself agreeing with Joe again, consider that Donphan and Mamoswine are the closest we have to elephants and that both are physically oriented. Now, that in itself does that mean that we have to keep to that trend. But from a conceptual or design standpoint it makes more sense. A Elephant is a physically powerful creature, so it doesn't seem to meld with the psychic portion and the typing makes it terrible defensively.

Give the fire starter role to something else (it doesn't have to be the tiger) and move tuskorch to later in the dex. That way he could also have a more apporiate typing to benefit what you guys envison him to be. Fire/ground or even better fire/steel would work wonderfully on a bulkier pokemon. We've already seen how awesome Heatran can be and the steel element could play well into his desgin if given "body armor" with a touch of indian influence.

It's only a suggestion but I think it could work well to please both parties if you guys give it a chance.

JOE!

Smash Hero
^this

i have no qualms with an elephant, but the way you guys are presenting him, hed not only such, but he makes no sense at all...and has a hole in his head

Edit:

Pikachu is a mouse because:

A) cute factor

B) rodents store thing sin their cheeks, and are know for their speedy get-aways.

In order to use electricty you must store it, and electric types are known for speed (lightning).

Put these together and you have an animal that "stores" electricty, and is fast, along with being cute for appeal.

IC3R

Smash Lord
And lastly Hurricrane. I noticed that IC3R did not include a description for this one. I don't know if he simply didn't have one yet, only thinking of the typing and name, or if he just wanted to do it himself. If it is the latter then consider this just fan art of a great idea. I found hurricrane the easiest to draw, with only a name and a concept I could do whatever I wanted. I had a blast drawing this pokemon. Kudos to IC3R for what I personally thought was a brilliant idea.

yes, his tail is a small tornado. :D
It's better than I imagined! :)
I'll save the pic, color it in GIMP, and repost if that's alright with you.

Also, here's my sketch of Tuskorch:

It's supposed to be loosely based on the Hindu god Ganesha. He's still holding his gem in his trunk and he still has a hole in his head, but it's obscured by a fancy metal headdress. It flips open when he launches an attack from his head. His tail is supposed to resemble the vajra, and, as you can see, he's bipedal. I don't know what color he should be, but I do know he has some rings on him that probably should be golden. Maybe someone could come up with something better; I just tried to come up with something different.
v v v CONCEPTUAL GIMMICK v v v

Not a bad idea, but I was thinking up some ideas while I was working earlier this evening, and I figured the elephants could have flashy headdresses like circus entertainers: http://www.cdkenterprises.com/coloring/circus/elephant1a.gif Instead of the feathery bits, flames could be used instead, and have a small fire on the end of their tails. Gems can stay in certain places (like in the center of the headdress) to add to the flashiness. Fire and illusions are key elements in circus entertainment, so there's your Fire/Psychic elephant!

^^^CONCEPTUAL GIMMICK^^^

no, we're deciding on teh fire-type STARTER, the guy 90% of players use througout the entire game.

we can make a defensive fire type sure, but we allready have a balanced and defensive starter....
I fail to see how the original Krashken is balanced at all.
And I'm not copying the Yu-gi-oh monster entirely; I just needed a visual for some folks to wrap their heads around while I work on it.

Unlike most Fire types, Tuskorch actually has BULK and ways to BOOST THE BULK, or at least protect itself from crazy threats. Tyraniretard, with his double-advantage, almost never ever EVER wants to be burned, and the special variants can be somewhat blocked with Calm Mind, but how many NPC's have a Tyranitar ingame, again? Oh, let's not forget Sharpedo and Crawdaunt, neither of which like getting Burned or can take a super-effective Energy Ball/Grass Knot very well.

No Pokemon is going to be able to win against EVERYTHING.

And you know what, we have enough bulky Waters, and even though Arghonaut does not exist outside of the Smogon CAP Server, another bulky Water/Fighting cephalopod is just plain repetitive. I'm going for an Atlantean theme on the Water starter, being swift and strong. The only related Pokemon so far is Gorebyss, and that was just ****ty designing.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
@FF,Maybe the lake could be in the center? The rivers from the north would run into it while the rivers coming from the lake would run south in the ocean. It wouldn't need to be smack dab in the center but somewhere near it perhaps?

IC3R, be my guest. I don't like coloring when I don't have a tablet to use anyways.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
v v v CONCEPTUAL GIMMICK v v v

Not a bad idea, but I was thinking up some ideas while I was working earlier this evening, and I figured the elephants could have flashy headdresses like circus entertainers: http://www.cdkenterprises.com/coloring/circus/elephant1a.gif Instead of the feathery bits, flames could be used instead, and have a small fire on the end of their tails. Gems can stay in certain places (like in the center of the headdress) to add to the flashiness. Fire and illusions are key elements in circus entertainment, so there's your Fire/Psychic elephant!

^^^CONCEPTUAL GIMMICK^^^
If only to make JOE! happy, that is a much better connection than the Indian god myth. *phew* Also, a potentially better design.

@Chill: Good thinking there. The rivers/lake/forest could all serve as a potential regional divider...like Mt. Coronet, but prettier!

JOE!

Smash Hero
icer, the balanced starter is Pandark, Krashken is the Defensive. lrn2read

also, you are seriously bashing bashquid for existing in OUR dex when some other site made a fake squid pokemon?

Really?

EDIT:

as for the circus elephant idea, it has a ton more merit, but then it falls into like Mr Mime territory, it has way too special of a concept to be a starter, which atho special compared to other pokemon, have an air of genericness about them as they are based of like, a turtle or a chicken, etc.

We coudl keep Neophant, but I really dont like the idea of him as a starter. Even with his defenses, it would be slow and have to keep spamming it's heal move to not get killed next turn, as if it is bulky it most likley has lower attack and speed.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
it flies because it has the concept of having BIG palm leaves as wings, similar to how Slugma is a slug with lava instead of slime.
So, it just happens to be of the Flying-type, thanks to its extremely large leaves?

So, Tuskorch just happens to be of the Fire-type, thanks to having absorbed so much heat?

I see we've moved on from basing it on real things to using abstract concepts, which is what Tuskorch is based on.

Elephants have no background with fire, so it would be fine if it had a conceptual gimmick like cyndaquil/tropius/slugma, yet it doesnt...it's just hot to the touch...
We can edit it, you know. We can add flaming tusks or flaming ears or a smoking trunk. It isn't the final draft.

EDIT: Or flaming feathers, lolol. Ninja'd again.

Give the fire starter role to something else (it doesn't have to be the tiger) and move tuskorch to later in the dex. That way he could also have a more apporiate typing to benefit what you guys envison him to be. Fire/ground or even better fire/steel would work wonderfully on a bulkier pokemon. We've already seen how awesome Heatran can be and the steel element could play well into his desgin if given "body armor" with a touch of indian influence.
Most of us (as evidenced by the poll) want a bulky fire starter. That is the thing we are striving for here, it's not just that we want an elephant, although that may be a part of it for some.

Also, we (well, not me, but I like the idea lol) agreed earlier on on using a Fighting, Psychic, Dark triangle for our starters, so changing the type would be impossible so long as it remains our starter.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Oh, I know Sir B, that's why I suggested moving Tuskorch. That way he can still be bulky and you can still have your Fire/Psychic part of the triangle. I just don't see a bulky pokemon with that typing succeeding but I'm not really that invested in this argument. I'm still going to work on a design regardless of the final decision.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Tuskorch can be moved, sure, I wouldn't really have a problem with it.

Though I must say, JOE!, you are much more adamant about this particular argument than anything I ever saw out of UltiMario (no offense Ulti), though I might've missed some big stuff earlier on. I mean, there's probably at least 4 pages of just arguing about Tuskorch over and over, and it's mostly been just you defending your side. So much for democracy....

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Joe, whats wrong with using IC3R's Krashken rendition?

I for one believe most of us like it more.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Oh, I know Sir B, that's why I suggested moving Tuskorch. That way he can still be bulky and you can still have your Fire/Psychic part of the triangle. I just don't see a bulky pokemon with that typing suceeding but I'm not really that invested in this argument. I'm still going to work on a design regardless of the final decision.
we could have a bulky fire type, sure, but a bulky fire/psychic starter?
...Wait, now I'm beginning to question whether we wanted a bulky fire starter, or just a bulky fire lololol. If its bulky fire starter, then Tuskorch is right here for us, but if it's just a bulky fire, then there is room for change.

However, I'm pretty sure no one wants anymore bulky waters, so the only option (if we're not using fire) is to make a bulky Grass, and Pandark has remained pretty much unquestioned throughout this entire thread lol.

I still don't see the problem with a bulky Fire starter though, at least when you're just playing the "story mode". You had to catch Mankeys and stuff in order to beat the Rock Gym in RBY if you chose Charmander, unless you trained like a *****, so I don't see how having Tuskorch somehow disables you from using other Pokemon.

EDIT: I went back through the pages and couldn't find anything about wanting bulky fire starters, so I was dead wrong on that one lol, but I found this:

the typing isnt that bad, it resists fighting and ice, (along with grass, steel, fire and psy).

only ground, rock, dark, ghost and water hurt it. Only 2 of those are majors from my knowledge, and in return it resists 2 majors
...which was made right after Kupo posted his moveset. Why weren't you opposed to the idea back then?

IC3R

Smash Lord
icer, the balanced starter is Pandark, Krashken is the Defensive. lrn2read
Sorry, having worked so much with Pokemon and Super Smash Bros., I tend to define "balanced" as "not overpowered, but not underpowered either".

also, you are seriously bashing bashquid for existing in OUR dex when some other site made a fake squid pokemon?

Really?
-_________- ;;

No, I'm saying I don't want to re-use the idea of a BULKY WATER/FIGHTING SQUID CREATURE, which has already been done by another rather large Pokemon community. I like the concept, but it's already been done before...
lrn2use_that_thing_in_your_head_called_a_brain

========
Despite my strong desire for Tuskorch to be a viable bulky Fire, after doing numerous calculations, I have determined it will need a slight revision in its stats to reach its full potential as a defensive Fire Pokemon. (I may even tweak its movepool as well).

Revision coming soon.

Also, vampire bug for legendary. And as for the "immortal jellyfish" annoying posted a little while back, I have an idea for that as well, but let us focus on the task at hand...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Speaking of the task.. Where are we? lol. We have the bugs, starters, not fully realized of course but I'd say close enough that we can move on while still working on them. What's next? Do we need another bug type as there are always two sets in the early pokedex? The traditional normal/flying pokemon? Is that Hurricranes position or is he for later in the pokedex?

I just want to do something aside from talk about Tuskorch. It's seriously making this thread unfun. :C I'm just going to go mess around with some other ideas for awhile.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@sir B:

that was in response to somebody (ulti most likely) saying the typing is balls.

It's not horrible, but on that note for a defensive pokemon it is rather risky.

@IC3R:

you are telling me to use my head about somethign that honestly does not relate to this thread, as it is from a totally different site that you happen to know about, so it *must* be relavent to OUR project, that I didnt know about?

also, if the revisions for tuskorch involve stats...and he ends up failing in speed and attacking, then he will be very, very "meh" in regards for what a fire/psy should be able to do...as it would be reliant on attacking first/hard.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Btw, I agree that legendary bug pokemon needs to happen.
CATARCEUSPIE

srsly.
Yes, and lol.

Since the last generation had "God" as its ultimate Pokemon, how about our Generation have its opposite? Not Satan lol (that would be too obvious and...ehhh...) but having more to do with the underworld. I played this game (i-Ninja), and one of its bosses was said to have come from the underworld, and it looked like a giant spider. Also, the level you found the boss in was based around a forest. Possible basis for our legendary bug? Or should we have 3 bugs a la Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres? Meh, we'll get that down later.

@Chill, if my set of bugs (once they're finished) goes through, we'll have all the bugs complete. Also, I think IC3R intended for the Hummingbirds and the Cranes to replace the Pidgey and Spearrow lines, so barring finalizing the bugs and starters, we're done everything major, except for the ledgendaries (which I think we should leave till later).

The main thing I think we should be working on now is figuring out what we're doing with the map, the gyms, and where we'll put each town and gym. Then we can make Pokemon that would suit the area/gyms we'll have in our area, and then fill out the rest.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Speaking of the task.. Where are we? lol. We have the bugs, starters, not fully realized of course but I'd say close enough that we can move on while still working on them. What's next? Do we need another bug type as there are always two sets in the early pokedex? The traditional normal/flying pokemon? Is that Hurricranes position or is he for later in the pokedex?

I just want to do something aside from talk about Tuskorch. It's seriously making this thread unfun. :C I'm just going to go mess around with some other ideas for awhile.
In addition to everything you said, there's also the customization of the region that all of our happy little Pokemon will live in, which could influence what other Pokemon get created.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261890&page=32

Tohoko needs Gym Types! We've also got some ideas for the region itself, such as the first few towns being in a desert environment, the addition of a lake and/or a swamp, and a mysterious Bug-type legendary in the forest. We could use more ideas. Let's get crackin'!

Sir Bedevere's got the right idea!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hey JOE!, Weedzy and Kelpent need to be added; they were on page 28, and Aquastretch and family were posted sometime after that.

Thanks! :bee:

EDIT: NVM, Aquastrech works.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm going to try and create the most ridiculous, nonsensical, unreasonable, logic-defying Pokemon ever and submit it.

Wish me luck.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm just going to throw out ideas here, so you can take and change anything you want. I'm just trying to get this thread aimed at something.

I'm still sticking with my "start off in a desert" idea (the town would likely be at the bottom-right corner, since the top isn't an option and the bottom-left is too common). I also like the Ground type as the first gym, since it merges with the desert starting town nicely and poses the "Fire-types are awesome, BUT **** IT THE FIRST GYM ***** ME" challenge, while still being unique and also giving the Fire-type a chance since Ground doesn't resist them. As said before, Cayenne City would be good since it sounds like canyon.

From there, I imagine we start moving upwards. For the second gym, Grass would be good since it makes an ideal transition from wasteland to grassy plains, and is good for the starters as well, since the Fire-type is given the advantage while the Water and Grass-types (who should have annihilated the first gym) are given a challenge. The town would probably be Basil Town or Oregano City or something.

We'd then move onto a hilly region, where the Flying gym would be. This region would also be quite close to the sea, so Water-Flying types can also be used (Aquemu lolol). This gives a direct challenge to the Grass-type, and also giving the Water-type some trouble (if it has its Fighting type), while the Fire-type only has to worry about the Water-Flying. Dunno what the name could be, lol. This is where I'd imagine we'd have our Department store, and maybe the casino.

Next we move on to the first mountain, which is where the Ice/Psychic gym is (I haven't decided at this point, but I believe either can work). From this point on, you should already have enough Pokemon of different varieties that your starter's type shouldn't matter anymore. This mountain will have lots of Ice Pokemon to catch, which will be necessary for the next Gym. As flyin suggested, this could be called Mint Mountain.

The next gym is *gasp* Dragon. Yeah, this early I know, but apparently we're giving Bugs the spotlight, so there you go. The gym is situated on the taller mountain, and you can also catch some Dragons here if you prefer them over Ice to take on the gym. Again, as flyin suggested, the town would be Tarragon City.

You then move down the mountain into a swampy area, near the river, which would be the Poison gym. This is also probably we'd have some major event happening, like the "Team Rocket" of this generation making a big move, but that's an extra thing that we can deal with once we've got all the Pokemon. Cilantro City seems like a good name, but I'm not sure lol.

Next up is the Dark gym, located on the left side of the map. I'm not sure what we could do for the area it's around, but the best idea I came up with is an underground city, since it would be dark lol. Caraway City seems to fit the mood, but again, I have no idea why lol.

Finally we arrive in the forest, where the Bug gym (and our legendary Bug Pokeman(z)) resides. We'll need to make some epic bugs to live up to the standard of the eighth gym, but I think we can manage it lol. And then we'd have the shrine where we do our epic "ZOMG STOP TEH TEAM _____ LEADER HE GUNNA KILL US ALL QQ" maneuver and catch the mega-bug. This would be Sage Town.

Then the Elite Four would be in the bottom-left. Maybe the tunnels from the Dark gym could be integrated with the area to create our Victory Road, or we could break the norm and have the Victory Road be a forest instead. Or, we could follow the norm completely (for 3rd and 4th gen, that is) and make it an island and call it Allspice Island.

/random

@JOE! lolol, it might have started as a joke but I've really taken to my idea (EDIT: er, I mean my rendition of the idea, it was you/Ulti who actually created the idea itself), and I see no reason why it can't be a valid Pokemon. And as people have said, we need our obligatory Water/Flying, and there he is.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I like your take on Tohoko, Sir Bedevere.

You're right about starting on the bottom left being too common. Starting on the right = Johto = great! As I said before, starting with a desert/canyon area is quite innovative. I like the Ground Gym idea too (since it's kind of only been used 0.5 times).

I'd also just like to make it clear though that the mountains on the map don't have to be exactly as pictured (it could be one or two or however many mountains we want). That said, the idea of Dragons in the 4th Gym is :O and then :D at the same time.

A swamp near the river would be perfect for a Poison Gym, indeed. An underground city sounds awesome. You're totally right, Allspice Island doesn't even have to be an island, the Pokemon League can be anywhere. And lastly, you are right, we'll need some epic Bugs if Sage Town is to be the last Gym.

Great ideas, Sir Bedevere! And now, everyone else, agree? Disagree? Have your own opinions/ideas? Do share!

I think the harsh seas of the north could be a hiding place for some epic Water Pokemon. Also, I was kind of inspired last night, and came up with the idea for a Fire Gym that's also partly a restaurant. Will we even have a Fire Gym at all?

Also, regarding Aquick, it'd be kind of cool if it could run on water. :p

JOE!

Smash Hero
actually, it may make sense as a swamp pokemon, walks in deep water with it's head still out :p

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I'd also just like to make it clear though that the mountains on the map don't have to be exactly as pictured (it could be one or two or however many mountains we want). That said, the idea of Dragons in the 4th Gym is :O and then :D at the same time.
It's actually 5th, but whatever. XD And yeah, I know this isn't the final draft of the map or whatever, but as I said, I'm just trying to get other people thinking.

Great ideas, Sir Bedevere! And now, everyone else, agree? Disagree? Have your own opinions/ideas? Do share!
Although it seems weird to be critiquing my own ideas, I have to say that my progression of towns/Gyms is incredibly "linear" (it's more circular lololol). The only time we deviate from going in a perfect spiral/circle is when we go to the Pokemon league. At least with other generations, there'd be some alternate paths and detours to take, but we're basically just going full circle the whole way. So I suggest, if we end up using my idea as a basis, that we change around the placement of the gyms (I like the order, though, since it equalizes the starters and makes sense with the direction we're heading, though we're free to change the types) to make it a bit less linear

actually, it may make sense as a swamp pokemon, walks in deep water with it's head still out :p
Rofl, that would actually make some sense, although he'd be an oddball with the type of the Posion gym. And if we kept Aquemu in the Flying gym, there'd be two Pokemon from the same evolutionary line in different gyms from the same region...has that ever happened before?

I think the harsh seas of the north could be a hiding place for some epic Water Pokemon. Also, I was kind of inspired last night, and came up with the idea for a Fire Gym that's also partly a restaurant. Will we even have a Fire Gym at all?
The transition from mountain to mountain could probably take place across the sea, where we'd find small islands (towns?) and those epic Water Pokemon and stuff.

And lolol, the Fire-gym restaurant sounds awesome, but we need to figure out what kinds of environments we want (swamps, deserts, etc) before we move on to specific gyms and their types and such. If we decide on creating a "big city" area, for example, your restaurant gym would probably work really well there.

Also, regarding Aquick, it'd be kind of cool if it could run on water. :p
I was thinking about that (at least for Aquemu, since Aquick is more of the "baby" Pokemon), but it fit more to have him be a great swimmer than a great run-on-water-er (>.>) since it meshed better with its type, at least IMO. It just seemed a bit much to be turning him into the second Christ. :laugh:

Top Bottom