• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF-Dex: Make Your Own Pokemon!

IC3R

Smash Lord
Well, annoying1359, if we had multiple people working on it at once, the load wouldn't be as unbearable.

I was almost successful in getting my custom server running, but I couldn't figure out how to get other people to log onto it. Not to mention the changes I implemented simply refused to function, most notably the existence of Aut'thaer, who was the first thing I implemented. No one could/would help me at the time.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
My my, things have gotten busy since I last posted.

Fire starters: I'm gonna add another +1 vote to neofant, if only for being a non-glass-canon fire type.

Aquick: That should replace the "3-stage dragon pokemon" due to being more epic ;D

I have a few ideas for pokemon of my own, hopefully I'll find time to make one amidst my schoolwork. And hopefully it will be less broken than Modeath, lulz.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
After we get the SWF Dex completed we need an entire theorymon thread about what each Pokemon's viable sets are as we try to get a server with them, then we can theorymon tier each one, the obvious OUs will go to OU, the obvious NUs will go to NU, obvious Ubers go to Ubers, average things will go to UU, anything thats middle-ish and doesn't fit goes to BL, stuff like that.

Also wow my 1500 post is coming up soon, maybe I'll have something interesting this time?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Before I post anything else I just wanted to say quickly that I agree with Joe. I know not a popular opinion. :p The only thing is I agree with him for different reasons. I've been trying to draw a concept for the fire elephant and while I did find it difficult that wasn't why I don't like the idea.

There's a reason that most fire types are glass cannons. There's a reason that "defensive or bulky" fire types fail. Fire is a terrible defensive type. Water, ground and rock are all strong moves with high penetration in the metagame that will hit it for super effective. Surf, Earthquake and stone edge are going to destroy it. Add in a psychic type and you now have a nasty weakness to crunch. It's not going to do it's job of being bulky very well if it get's hit by so many types unless you surpass the traditional starter BST total and give him really high HP and defenses.

With that said, the OP does say that this isn't supposed to be a project that focuses on a metagame so I suppose it doesn't really matter how practical it is.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I like Aquick and family (glad someone else rose to the challenge :bee:), though Aquastretch's neck sounds ridiculously awkward. :psycho:

I'm currently trying to work out a design for Tuskorch (sorry JOE!) that's probably not what one would expect, and I think I'll work backwards to Neofant from there.

Is it time to come up with a new region yet?

Also, I changed "Weedsy" to "Weedzy", though nobody cares

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I love you.
Oh my, I'm in a haze. :embarrass

Would your vote change if I made a second Water/Fighting starter with the same stats, but a different movepool and Egg Groups?
So long as it keeps its speed (well, maybe a bit faster, but you're the one making it), its typing, and a concept as epic as a speedy squid, I'm fine with anything lololol.

I'm still not big on it learning Fly, though.
It's kind of a rip-off of Dodrio, which is why I decided to give it Fly. At least it actually has wings though. :p

graaaaa pumpkin Pokemon you must be completed!

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Is it time to come up with a new region yet?
Since this is far easier to do than making a new Poke (and probably won't be contorversial enough to cause a drama like the one we saw a few pages back) I guess I'll start it.

It's has to have the 'oh' sound in it, since all of the regions do. With the exception of Almia, obviously.

Hows about... 'Tohoko', after the Japanese prefecture?

@ Sir Bedevere - At least Aquick, Aquemu and Aquastrich could be the Water/Flying Poke that appears in all generations.

How goes that Bug-type, Ulti?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I know they're not going to be used, but Chill I really like the bird/grass starter and the dog/water starter! The fire one is also really cute :p
Thank you. I might end up making my own dex thread at some time just for ideas that aren't selected. The fire starter ended up being by favorite because of what I made him evolve into.

The little face in the corner is just a alternate way of drawing his mane. I prefer the more spiky flames as I think they look more natural.
Oh my goodness it's Chill!

This is true nostalgia now.

If only Kenji and W4M were here..

But I do like Galeark. :D

-Terywj
Haha, hey Tery. It really has been awhile since I've posted here or on smogon.

Alright other stuff I drew. I didn't follow the creators ideas completely only because I couldn't remember the description. I read them and then drew them later, which caused me to forget some details. So I strayed from the design not because I think your ideas suck but because I just couldn't remember what you had written. For example with the centipede pokemon I didn't include the squares and spikes because I didn't remember those details. Feedback from the creators would be appreciated (and everyone else too of course).

just elephant concepts, I couldn't really get into this one for some reason. I thought replacing the hole in his head with a gem would be a good way to not only show the source of his power but also to pay tribute to India. I might take another shot at it but some ideas of body shape, overall design, etc would be nice.

And lastly Hurricrane. I noticed that IC3R did not include a description for this one. I don't know if he simply didn't have one yet, only thinking of the typing and name, or if he just wanted to do it himself. If it is the latter then consider this just fan art of a great idea. I found hurricrane the easiest to draw, with only a name and a concept I could do whatever I wanted. I had a blast drawing this pokemon. Kudos to IC3R for what I personally thought was a brilliant idea.

yes, his tail is a small tornado. :D

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Alright other stuff I drew. I didn't follow the creators ideas completely only because I couldn't remember the description. I read them and then drew them later, which caused me to forget some details. So I strayed from the design not because I think your ideas suck but because I just couldn't remember what you had written. For example with the centipede pokemon I didn't include the squares and spikes because I didn't remember those details. Feedback from the creators would be appreciated (and everyone else too of course).

And lastly Hurricrane. I noticed that IC3R did not include a description for this one. I don't know if he simply didn't have one yet, only thinking of the typing and name, or if he just wanted to do it himself. If it is the latter then consider this just fan art of a great idea. I found hurricrane the easiest to draw, with only a name and a concept I could do whatever I wanted. I had a blast drawing this pokemon. Kudos to IC3R for what I personally thought was a brilliant idea.

Yes, his tail is a small tornado. :D
You, sir, are a godsend. :love:

I'm all for Porcurprine at the bottom-left (that is him, yes?). He looks kickass. Hopefully if Hedgely's image gets enlarged some more expression can be put on him, and besides that both are nigh perfect.

And even though Hurricrane wasn't my idea his pic is so ****ing awesome I quoted it anyway.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Since this is far easier to do than making a new Poke (and probably won't be contorversial enough to cause a drama like the one we saw a few pages back) I guess I'll start it.

It's has to have the 'oh' sound in it, since all of the regions do. With the exception of Almia, obviously.

Hows about... 'Tohoko', after the Japanese prefecture?
You know, I was researching Japanese regions not Pokemon-ized yet and that's one I thought we could base ours loosely around. So, I approve! I posted these town and city names a while back in the thread:

Pestle Town
Cinnamon Town
Fennel City
Cilantro City
Rosemary Town
Oregano City
Basil Town
Savory City
Cayenne City
Mint Mountain
Sage Town
Tarragon City
Allspice Island (Pokemon League area?)
They're all named after herbs and spices, so I'm just throwing that idea out there. Gym types, anyone? (Also, it's kind of a personal thing, but it'd be cool if the region had a huge forest right in the middle with a hidden temple/village deep inside of it, and a cold, desolate northern sea behind some mountain range. )

And finally, Chill, those pictures are awesome. :bee:

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
You know, I was researching Japanese regions not Pokemon-ized yet and that's one I thought we could base ours loosely around. So, I approve!

They're all named after herbs and spices, so I'm just throwing that idea out there. Gym types, anyone? (Also, it's kind of a personal thing, but it'd be cool if the region had a huge forest right in the middle with a hidden temple/village deep inside of it, and a cold, desolate northern sea behind some mountain range).
Thanks. :chuckle:

As for the Gym types, I would personally like to see a Dark-type gym simply because there hasn't ever been one before (Karen and Sidney don't count).

On a somewhat related note, I've no clue what the region's to look like, but given what you've described your map as, that hidden temple/village area sounds like a cool place for the climax of the plot. You know, where the legends are associated with (like the Bronze Tower and Whirl Islands for Johto, Sootopolis City and Mt. Pyre for Hoenn, and obviously Spear Pillar for Sinnoh). It makes an interesting basis for a the first Bug-type legend to me.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Thanks guys. ^.^

I like the region name as well as naming the cities and towns after spices. That's one thing that I miss about the recent games is the themed names.

A Dark Type gym would be cool. Cilantro has to have the fire gym. :p What types have been overdone and what hasn't seen much time in the spotlight? It seems like Rock has had a gym in quite a few games. There's only been one ice type gym right?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Thanks. :chuckle:

As for the Gym types, I would personally like to see a Dark-type gym simply because there hasn't ever been one before (Karen and Sidney don't count).

On a somewhat related note, I've no clue what the region's to look like, but given what you've described your map as, that hidden temple/village area sounds like a cool place for the climax of the plot. You know, where the legends are associated with (like the Bronze Tower and Whirl Islands for Johto, Sootopolis City and Mt. Pyre for Hoenn, and obviously Spear Pillar for Sinnoh). It makes an interesting basis for a the first Bug-type legend to me.
A Dark-type Gym would seem appropriate. It seems like we've come up with a lot of Dark-types here, so we can put a few to good use.

Yep, I imagined a small village (Sage Town) located deep within a forest (initially only accessible by Surfing down a river that runs through it) that kind of has an Oriental feel to it. I thought it'd be a cool place to have a Grass Gym . The hidden temple is accessed only by following a secluded branch of the river. And yeah, an all-powerful legendary Bug-type that resides there would be cool. Someone get on it!

EDIT: There's been two Ice type Gyms, Chill, one in Mahogany and one in Snowpoint. Maybe there could be another one in our region...one of my initial ideas was to literally have one on a mountain (Mint Mountain). You know, kinda like those temples in the Himalayas.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. ^.^

A Dark Type gym would be cool. Cilantro has to have the fire gym. :p What types have been overdone and what hasn't seen much time in the spotlight? It seems like Rock has had a gym in quite a few games. There's only been one ice type gym right?
You're welcome!

I took the time to compile the no. of times each type is represented:

Rock: 3
Water: 3
Electric: 3
Grass: 2
Poison: 1
Psychic: 2
Fire: 2
Ground: 1
Bug: 1
Flying: 2
Steel: 2
Dragon: 1
Ice: 2
Normal: 2
Ghost: 2
Fighting: 3
Dark: 0

... which leaves Dark, Bug, Dragon, Ground and Poison as the most underutilised. That's five types out of eight. Not a bad start!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Not a single Dark gym, that's craziness. We could pick from the gyms with only 2 uses for the remaining 8.

FF, did you pick a island to base the map on yet?

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Not a single Dark gym, that's craziness. We could pick from the gyms with only 2 uses for the remaining 8.

FF, did you pick a island to base the map on yet?
We'd sort of chosen Tohoko, right? That's be the yellow region of Japan on this map.

The other three gyms I'd probably pick as Psychic, Fire and Flying, because they were in Hoenn at the latest.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Omg yessssss, these are great, though I think you confused the design for the millipede with the centipede (I can only assume these are mine since you mentioned the stupid squares, which were my lame attempt at making it look somewhat interesting). The one on the left would work great as the 1st stage for the centipede, minus the X's on the "eyes", and the 2nd stage would basically be the same but with the top right's head on both the front and back of the left one, along with the right one's spikes. Loveee the face.

As for the gyms, assuming we try to be unique and limit it to the least-used gyms, I say we go for Psychic, Flying, and Ice + the 5 Running Riot suggested. Psychic so that it gives our Dark starter Pokemon a gym type to take advantage of (Psychic and Fighting already have Poison and Dark, respectively), Flying since the gyms weren't that memorable (at least IMO) and we already have a plethora of Flying-types we could include in it, and Ice because of FF's map and it's a cool type to have for a gym (again, IMO).

We could probably do a poll for the gym types, and use the top 3 voted types.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Oh, that's handy. You can really see how much of Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido. It's nearly identical. If Gamefreak ever uses island chains outside of Japan for inspirtation Hawaii would be a cool spot.

edit: ninja'd by Sir, yes after reading the descriptions again I noticed that both forms did not have the two heads. lol that's what I meant by forgetting stuff. I don't think the squares are a bad idea. I was thinking it looked plain without something on it's sides but if you like it I could leave it that way. Not that it really matters but I thought it might have the defense curl+rollout combo in it's moveset sort of like a pillbug. A spinning ball with spikes just looks cool. :p

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Great, this is coming together really well. I also agree that maybe we should have an Official Gym Type Poll soon. But I think we're all going to reach a consensus on a Dark-type Gym. I added some of my thoughts below:

"Tohoku" - based on northeastern Japanese region under Hokkaido (Sinnoh)

Pestle Town - starting town
Cinnamon Town
Fennel City
Cilantro City - Fire?
Rosemary Town
Oregano City
Basil Town
Savory City
Cayenne City
Mint Mountain - Ice
Sage Town (forest village) - Grass? Dark?
Tarragon City (name comes from French word meaning "dragon") - Dragon

Likely Gym Types:

Dark
Bug
Poison
Ground
Ghost
Normal
Flying
Steel
Fire
Psychic
Ice

Any more thoughts, anyone?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
edit: ninja'd by Sir, yes after reading the descriptions again I noticed that both forms did not have the two heads. lol that's what I meant by forgetting stuff. I don't think the squares are a bad idea. I was thinking it looked plain without something on it's sides but if you like it I could leave it that way. Not that it really matters but I thought it might have the defense curl+rollout combo in it's moveset sort of like a pillbug. A spinning ball with spikes just looks cool. :p
lol well, once we've ironed out which Pokemon we're going to use for the dex we can figure out the designs for everything we've made. Or at least that's how I would do it. :lick:

And yeah, the defense curl+rollout thing would be more for the millipede since he's the more defensive one of the pair, while the centipede is a fast (crappy) attacker. I'll get on finishing those right after my pumpkin...

Likely Gym Types:

Dark
Bug
Poison
Ground
Ghost
Normal
Flying
Steel
Fire
Psychic
Ice

Any more thoughts, anyone?
None, other than you forgot the Dragon type in your list. :p

We should probably figure out which types we want to use before we start matching them to towns, although the map is important too, since the natural structure of the world will affect which gyms we place where.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm making that stupid centipede thing just hold on, I actually SPRITE my stuff too, so....

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
None, other than you forgot the Dragon type in your list. :p

We should probably figure out which types we want to use before we start matching them to towns, although the map is important too, since the natural structure of the world will affect which gyms we place where.
My bad, I'll fix that in my next post. I feel like I'm leaving you guys in the dark regarding the region; I'll post a rough sketch of the landscape in my next post as well, which'll include the tentative town names (and some pointers ;)). Oh yeah, I'm including a design for Tuskorch I've been toying with too; it's kinda rough right now, so don't get too excited....

EDIT: Sorry about the double post on the next page, I accidentally hit submit instead of preview XD

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
"Tohoko"
(based on northeastern Japanese region under Hokkaido (Sinnoh))

List of Possible Towns/Cities:

Pestle Town - starting town
Cinnamon Town -
Caraway City -
Fennel City -
Cilantro City -
Rosemary Town -
Oregano City -
Basil Town -
Savory City -
Cayenne City -
Mint Mountain -
Sage Town (forest village) -
Tarragon City (name means "dragon") -

List of Likely Gym Types:

Dark
Bug
Poison
Ground
Ghost
Normal
Flying
Steel
Fire
Psychic
Ice
Grass
Dragon

As you can see, Tohoko is basically a large peninsula. You can see the vast forest/wooded area in the middle, within which is Sage Town and also a hidden temple. A river runs through the forest, which flows into the mountain range (where Mint Mountain is located) and eventually into the desolate and cold northern sea. The rest of the region is pretty much a blank slate. We could add a few more mountain areas, a bunch of cities, extend the river, and personally, I think adding a lake would be nice (supposedly the deepest lake in Japan is located in the Tohoku region). The climate is pretty temperate, with the exception of course of the northern mountains and sea. This is all subject to change, of course. So come on guys, hit me with your ideas for where the cities/towns should be located, where the Gyms should be, what their types are, and other fun stuff you'd like to see in our region of Tohoko!

Also, here's my sketch of Tuskorch:

It's supposed to be loosely based on the Hindu god Ganesha. He's still holding his gem in his trunk and he still has a hole in his head, but it's obscured by a fancy metal headdress. It flips open when he launches an attack from his head. His tail is supposed to resemble the vajra, and, as you can see, he's bipedal. I don't know what color he should be, but I do know he has some rings on him that probably should be golden. Maybe someone could come up with something better; I just tried to come up with something different.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
*fawning*

Seriously, this thing looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to add some fire in there somewhere, although making his skin red or orange would probably suffice. Maybe flaming tusks? *more fawning*

As for the town stuff, I've always liked the idea of starting out in a desert environment (like from Pokemon Colosseum), and a pestle grinds things up into dust, which would make sense with the desert idea. Then we could have the first gym as Ground (or something else, I'm just suggesting since it ties in with the desert thing), and "Cayenne" sorta sounds like "canyon", so we could use that as the town of the Ground gym. Also, a swamp would be cool (the closest we've had, if memory serves me correctly, is the Safari-zone rip-off in DPPt), and we could put the Poison gym there.

/random stuff

JOE!

Smash Hero
so, instead of doing somethign cool like shooting flames from it's trunk, its an elephant taht has a flap on it's noggin....

and like chill said, good luck with making it at all bulky while being a good fire type, all its stats would need to be in hp/def/spdef, with like nothing in speed/attack/spattack in order for it to work.

Ive made my reasons as to why it would be a bad idea, yet you guys actually admitted (and ULTI of all people said he used logic) that instead of litening to things, you just take **** as is and run with concepts without thinking it through. Good luck.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
so, instead of doing somethign cool like shooting flames from it's trunk, its an elephant taht has a flap on it's noggin....

and like chill said, good luck with making it at all bulky while being a good fire type, all its stats would need to be in hp/def/spdef, with like nothing in speed/attack/spattack in order for it to work.

Ive made my reasons as to why it would be a bad idea, yet you guys actually admitted (and ULTI of all people said he used logic) that instead of litening to things, you just take **** as is and run with concepts without thinking it through. Good luck.
1. Wow, way to be an assshole.

2. Give it a Fire-typed Roost, 140 base HP, 120 Def, 110 SpDef.

3. What is the definition of a "good fire type"?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Sir Bedevere: Thanks, I thought the first reaction to it would be that it was hideous. :bee: (That reaction could still happen, though). Red or orange would be a nice color for it, I agree (preferably red). *waits for Writer Kupo's reaction*

As for your Tohoko suggestions, they're very good. I also like the idea of starting in a somewhat different environment. A swamp sounds fun too. *takes note*

@JOE!: Dang, I failed at swaying you. :( It could shoot flames from its trunk, I suppose...its Psychic and its specialty could be pyrokinesis. Maybe it'll just let go of its gem and let it hang there while it roasts its opponent.

As for its competitive value...weren't you the one who was suggesting that this project wasn't necessarily competitive and it was mostly for fun? Tuskorch could be the competitively "bad" starter. You know, like Meganium, I guess? (No offense to Meganium fans). Maybe Tuskorch needs the right team, or new moves, or something.

JOE!

Smash Hero
1) its an elephant, with a hole in it's head that it uses to attack instead of like it's trunk or something.

Its the same character desgn philosophy as making a skateboarding bear, but then in order to attack you use the case the stickers you put on your skateboard come in, instead of using the skateboard or the fact you're a bear. It makes no real sense, and its silly.

2)sure, it gets roost, but with it's bulky nature it will need to be slow, so it will be hit by surf/EQ/etc, go down to 1/4th hp if it's lucky, heal a bit, then get killed next turn.

3) a good fire type is able to do ****-tons of damage before the enemy can damage them, and possibly set up a burn/etc to further annhilate the enemy HP bar. To do this, they follow the glass cannon design of being very fast and hard hitting, but weak to attacks.

by making a fire-type into a tank, you essntially make a Tank with a bunch of holes in it's armor, and instead of ammo, it has nerf-footballs to shoot at enemies.

@flyin:

not that its bad for the metagame, but just in general play it would be bad if it were made to be bulky, as it would need to be slow to compensate, and/or lack attack power. By doing so, you have a starter with alot of weaknesses and little to no way of compensating with high speed or power, meaning that essentially any pokemon with a type advantage will ruin the poor guy more than a normal fire-type. Even though hed have good defense, his typing screws him over if he is trying to be a tank..

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
@flyinfillipino I wish I had the drawing prowess of you. DAWG!

If Tuskorch is Fire/Psychic, isn't Recover enough? But If not,

Cauderize: Restores 50% of maximum health.

EDIT: Just noticed that on the OP, the link for Kittorch goes to Trucoster-> Nochestalk.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm a bit inclined to agree with you on point 1, JOE!. Maybe we could just get rid of the gem (if Writer agrees), problem solved?

As for point 3, what of Camerupt and Torkoal and Magcargo (well, he's not that great)? Not every Fire type has to fit the mold; there are exceptions to every type-stereotype. Some of them are still usable; you just have to fix them up a little bit. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing here? Can we come up with a move to save Tuskorch? :(

EDIT: Thanks Risque.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
As for its competitive value...weren't you the one who was suggesting that this project wasn't necessarily competitive and it was mostly for fun?
SmashCAP is geared toward competitive Pokemon. If you want to make a competitive Pokemon, you have to do so methodically, which is SmashCAP is doing. The Pokemon that this project creates are much more rough around the edges.
1) its an elephant, with a hole in it's head that it uses to attack instead of like it's trunk or something.

Its the same character desgn philosophy as making a skateboarding bear, but then in order to attack you use the case the stickers you put on your skateboard come in, instead of using the skateboard or the fact you're a bear. It makes no real sense, and its silly.
I agree, forgot to post this last time.
2)sure, it gets roost, but with it's bulky nature it will need to be slow, so it will be hit by surf/EQ/etc, go down to 1/4th hp if it's lucky, heal a bit, then get killed next turn.
Tell that to Gliscor, with his 95 base Speed. Or Latias, who sits at a blistering 110 base Speed. And Starmie, Celebi, Jirachi, Tentacruel, and Zapdos.

3) a good fire type is able to do ****-tons of damage before the enemy can damage them, and possibly set up a burn/etc to further annhilate the enemy HP bar. To do this, they follow the glass cannon design of being very fast and hard hitting, but weak to attacks.
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Nintendo and Game Freak said this is the way Fire-type Pokemon work. MY BAD.
I guess we should ban TormenTran, since he is a defensive Pokemon. Defensive Arcanine must also be banned. While we're at it, might as well ban Moltres from having any defensive EVs and Roost. That'll show 'em!

JOE!

Smash Hero
yes, but except for Camerupt (who only has a double weakness to water I think, due to being /ground) you never see those guys being used by anyone even in the main-game, where you can essentially use anything and get by, due to the fact they are slow pokemon with BIG weaknesses.

along with the fact that a slow fire type screws itself over if it doesnt do insane damage, we have a toug water type (shelled kraken) and a balanced grass (evil panda). We need a quick option for people as well, and the fire type fits that niche perfectly.

EDIT @ Annoying:

4 of the second examples are legendaries...

the other two have typings that aid with their weaknesses, as opposed to a fire type.

Tormentran = legendary, and a STEEL TYPE

Defensive arcanine lasts how long against Super Effectives again? Not that it's super-high BST helps it at all by the way.

Moltres gets pwned by stealth rock, and is legendary....

why are you bringing up legendaries so much in your examples of thinsg that go against the norm, when by design they go against the norm?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hold up. I thought we were trying to make a defensive Fire-type Pokemon.

JOE!

Smash Hero
no, we're deciding on teh fire-type STARTER, the guy 90% of players use througout the entire game.

we can make a defensive fire type sure, but we allready have a balanced and defensive starter....

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
yes, but except for Camerupt (who only has a double weakness to water I think, due to being /ground) you never see those guys being used by anyone even in the main-game, where you can essentially use anything and get by, due to the fact they are slow pokemon with BIG weaknesses.
lolwut, I've used Torkoal (and Camerupt) in the main game and they got along just fine. They actually usually became my more reliable Pokemon. You just don't send them in against water-types.

along with the fact that a slow fire type screws itself over if it doesnt do insane damage, we have a toug water type (shelled kraken) and a balanced grass (evil panda). We need a quick option for people as well, and the fire type fits that niche perfectly.
IC3R's made a faster squid Water starter (or something else, apparently IC3R's changing what Pokemon its based on), so what we're actually needing is a bulky starter Pokemon. Fire is the type available. Hence, bulky Fire.

But think about what we would be doing here if we went through with your suggestion. We'd have ANOTHER bulky Water (cus we totally need MOARRRRR) and another speedy Fire. There isn't much originality in that.

JOE!

Smash Hero
IC3R is making a water starter based on a yu-gi-oh monster....

Wizzerd is making one based off of a squid, specifically a Kraken/Giant squid, which actually hasnt been done as Omanyte/star are based on...omanatyes, and Octillery is an octopus.

as a giant squid, who beats you up and has a shell, it would naturally be bulky. Wheres the problem in that?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
IC3R is making a water starter based on a yu-gi-oh monster....

Wizzerd is making one based off of a squid, specifically a Kraken/Giant squid, which actually hasnt been done as Omanyte/star are based on...omanatyes, and Octillery is an octopus.

as a giant squid, who beats you up and has a shell, it would naturally be bulky. Wheres the problem in that?
I think you're too set on having one animal/idea for one starter. I mean, it isn't set in stone that "GRASS MUST BE PANDA, FIRE MUST BE (something speedy, maybe a tiger), WATER MUST BE KRAKEN" in the OP or anything. We could easily change the Water starter to something like a swordfish, which would be both speedy and have the "fighting" aspect to it (sword fighting, etc). And we could still have the bulky Fire elephant.

And what's wrong with Yugioh? :/ If I made a Pokemon based on a Yugioh monster that looked like a kraken, I doubt you'd have any problem with it.

Top Bottom