• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF-Dex: Make Your Own Pokemon!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Grass, easily; it isn't one of the original 5, and the forest setting, which is also the setting for our epic bug legendary, supposedly, fits perfectly with the Bug-type.

Uhhh... I'd probably say none of them. :laugh: I really liked Cayenne for Ground, but I understand why you put it for Fire (now that I did some research lololol). But, unless there are any other spices we could use, I'd say Basil would give it the best fit. Not sure why, though. <.>

We'll also need some "filler" towns (like Lavender), where we can probably have some of our story events take place; I'd say one up on the other mountain where the Dragon gym used to be would make sense.
K, as long as we do end up having an epic Bug legendary. We're gonna need some epic Bugs in general. We can use the other leftover names for filler towns/cities.

Be more subtle, flyinfilipino. When / if someone plays this game, we don't want them to know that the gyms are named after spices until they think about it, or else it detracts from the game itself. Basil, Savory, and Rosemary fall in the category of "you're trying too hard."
True true. I didn't think those leftover names fit with any of the other town/Gyms. Although I don't think too many people know that Savory is an herb.

Why exactly are the towns named after spices?

-Terywj
As IC3R said, I just thought herbs/spices would make a good theme. (And I've had this group of names down for a long while.)

How about these for the first Gym town/city?:

Chervil Town/City
Sorrel Town/City
Anise Town
Tamarind City
Mace Town
Saffron City

I personally think Mace Town is a good one, since it's another name for nutmeg, which is usually ground.

Revisions to make for Tohoko:

Change Sage Town to Bug-type Gym
Shrink Stratus Lake
Move Forest (probably needs a name) around the map

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I personally think Mace Town is a good one, since it's another name for nutmeg, which is usually ground.

Revisions to make for Tohoko:

Change Sage Town to Bug-type Gym
Shrink Stratus Lake
Move Forest (probably needs a name) around the map
Mace Town sounds awesome. Maybe we could make the design of the gym's badge the spike-ball of a mace? :O /silly

As for the forest (we could probably just use Sage Forest as a tentative name), I think we could move it down to the middle-bottom of the map. Not only would that make it unique for an end-game scenario, but it would also give us room to have the paths of the gyms (as in, the order you do them in) cris-cross, and thus less linear. As in, using the map on the last page as a reference but with the forest ignored/pushed down, after doing the Cilantro gym, we cut across to the Cayenne gym, then go back to do the Mint gym, then go to the Tarragon gym, then the Caraway gym, and then Sage town. That's just an example of what we could do, because actually doing that would take a ridiculous amount of backtracking lol.

---

I've got exams all this week, so I probably won't have much time to work on the map/make new Pokemon, but once the weekend and the new semester arrives, I should have time.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I don't think Stratus Lake needs to be shrunk. I kind of had the idea (i don't know why) that it wouldn't even be accessible and was mostly for aesthetic purposes. It would kind of just be a boundary, like how most regions just have ocean as a boundary. Idk, maybe i feel this way just because I'm always tired of big bodies of water in the other games :p And even if it is functional, why does it matter if it's big? Just more space to put some sort of cool island in the middle :p (or omg underwater dark gym lol).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Arouv - Rogue Fire Pokemon

Type: Fire / Dark
Ability: Guts / Flash Fire
HP: 102
Atk: 118
Def: 85
Sp Atk: 89
Sp Def: 85
Spd: 106

Offensive movepool includes: Fireworks*, FireCrush, Earthquake, ThunderPunch, Shadow Claw, Dragon Claw, Rockslide, Crunch, Pursuit, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Overheat, Dragon Pulse

Support movepool includes: Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Roar, Knock Off, Taunt, Seismic Toss

*Fireworks - 90 Power, 100 Accuracy, Physical. 10 PP. Effect: 20% chance of lowering opponent's Defense by 1 stage.

PokeDex Entry 1: AROUV are agressive hunters. They hunt in packs at night, and carefully target their prey.
PokeDex Entry 2: Running as fast as 65 mph, AROUV are seen rushing across the mountainous areas which they make their home.

Swords Dance Arouv
Arouv @ Life Orb
Guts / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Fireworks
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw / Pursuit
Swords Dance improves Arouv's Attack higher, and makes him more viable for sweeping. Fireworks does main damage, while Earthquake provides coverage. Dragon Claw can hit Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, and Swampert for good damage. Pursuit gets STAB and can be used effectively in tandem with FireCrush.

Special Sweeper
Arouv @ Leftovers
Flash Fire / Modest
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~ Nasty Plot
~ Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~ Dark Pulse
~ Dragon Pulse
Not as effective as the Swords Dance set, but base 89 Sp Atk is still good, especially after Nasty Plot.FlameBlast and Dark Pulse serve as obligatory STAB and coverage, while Dragon Pulse provides more coverage on Dragon-types. Hidden Power [Grass] or [Electric] could be used for Water-types.

-Terywj

IC3R

Smash Lord
Arouv - Rogue Fire Pokemon

Type: Fire / Dark
Ability: Guts / Flash Fire
HP: 102
Atk: 118
Def: 85
Sp Atk: 89
Sp Def: 85
Spd: 106

Swords Dance Arouv
Arouv @ Life Orb
Guts / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Fireworks
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw / Pursuit
Swords Dance improves Arouv's Attack higher, and makes him more viable for sweeping. FireCrush does main damage, while Earthquake provides coverage. Dragon Claw can hit Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, and Swampert for good damage. Pursuit gets STAB and can be used effectively in tandem with FireCrush.
@ underlined: wut?

I honestly like "Fireworks" for the name of the Defense-lowering Fire move. Having huge flashes of light and heat in front of my face would certainly lower my defense x___x

Is Flareon gonna get it too? :bee:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I originally had Fireworks as the attack name, but it sounds too much like a Special-based move doesn't it?

Yes! Flareon needs more love.

-Terywj

IC3R

Smash Lord
I originally had Fireworks as the attack name, but it sounds too much like a Special-based move doesn't it?

Yes! Flareon needs more love.

-Terywj
Fireworks - "The user charges at the foe with an explosive force."
That sound physical enough? :)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Mace Town sounds awesome. Maybe we could make the design of the gym's badge the spike-ball of a mace? :O /silly
Nice! :bee: I'll keep your ideas in mind, though I think you forgot to account for the lake...speaking of which,

I don't think Stratus Lake needs to be shrunk. I kind of had the idea (i don't know why) that it wouldn't even be accessible and was mostly for aesthetic purposes. It would kind of just be a boundary, like how most regions just have ocean as a boundary. Idk, maybe i feel this way just because I'm always tired of big bodies of water in the other games :p And even if it is functional, why does it matter if it's big? Just more space to put some sort of cool island in the middle :p (or omg underwater dark gym lol).
There'd probably have to be some explanation for why the the lake was inaccessible unlike other bodies of water. Well, it could be surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs. Maybe we could put something cool in the middle. Any more ideas?

Arouv sounds cool, though I'm curious about its name (and what it looks like/is based on, of course).

IC3R

Smash Lord
There'd probably have to be some explanation for why the the lake was inaccessible unlike other bodies of water. Well, it could be surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs. Maybe we could put something cool in the middle. Any more ideas?
Perhaps that is where we could find Mewtwo?

Ever seen Mewtwo's Return?

JOE!

Smash Hero
speaking of..

think we should think of legendaries while we think up the region? As we all know, the ledgendaries almost allways play a part in the region;s lore/creation/etc

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
This is true, JOE!. But we can't top the Alpha Pokemon We've thrown ideas around for a Bug-type legendary (though I can't think of something good to base it on right now), but I think there's plenty of room for more. How's about a legendary trio? Maybe a couple of Dragons? Something else?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nah, haven't seen that one. I was thinking more along the lines of Rayquaza*, but Mewtwo's even better!

*reference
Mewtwo and his clones were on the top of an unscalable mountain with a huge lake on top of it......
Just so you know.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I don't know if it would be epic enough to qualify for the first bug legendary, but a firefly pokemon would be pretty sweet :) I guess illumise and volbeat are fireflies, but im talking a real firefly like this (and of course it would be huge)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Fire / Bug with Mountaineer, lol

Also

HOW DARE YOU SAY SHUCKLE ISN'T COOL ENOUGH
SHUCKLE IS COOLER THAN YOU WILL EVER BE
EVAR

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, Rock / Bug would be a pretty interesting. Only three weaknesses, but they hurt quite badly. Two essentially worthless resistances, bar absorbing Explosions. Kind of like Spritiomb with more weaknesses.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I wonder what kind of arthropod would fit best as a Rock-type. As far as I know, Armaldo and Shuckle aren't really based on insects anyway.

*sigh*, I wish coming up with Pokemon designs was as easy as coming up with names.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I was thinking a ledgendary Fighting trio would also be cool..

Especially a fight/steel who had say, built it sword and shield?

but the bugs work too, but what kinds of cool bugs havent been done?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think both are good ideas. Bugs haven't been done but fighting could be cool with different type combos. Fight/Psychic, Fight/Dark, Fight/Electric??, etc.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I think both are good ideas. Bugs haven't been done but fighting could be cool with different type combos. Fight/Psychic, Fight/Dark, Fight/Electric??, etc.
I've got a Fight/Dark in the works. :O I'm trying my hand at spriting, so I should have it up some time tomorrow maybe.

And then once I'm done that, I'll start working/helping you guys on making our epic bug(s).

*back to studying*

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I was thinking a ledgendary Fighting trio would also be cool..

Especially a fight/steel who had say, built it sword and shield?

but the bugs work too, but what kinds of cool bugs havent been done?
I wonder what a legendary Fighting trio could be based on?

A walking stick insect hasn't been done yet...it's not exactly cool-sounding, though.

I've got a Fight/Dark in the works. :O I'm trying my hand at spriting, so I should have it up some time tomorrow maybe.

And then once I'm done that, I'll start working/helping you guys on making our epic bug(s).

*back to studying*
Ooh, new Pokemon and sprites.

Top Bottom