• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF-Dex: Make Your Own Pokemon!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Muk you, FlyinFilipino, that was too good.

I don't like your idea though, JOE!. What happens when Thunderpunch is used on a Empoleon? Tropius? Ludicolo? That stuff would get annoying to figure out and all.

-Terywj

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Im semi-serious tho, like..how would it affect the game?
well, me and my unwanted opinion could honestly see that in practice. it would be annoying as hell to figure out... but if a FEW common moves were made multi-type, it could diversify the actual metagame to a greater extent than simple quake-spamming.

lol i have no idea what i'm talking about... but you get the idea? it COULD work. but then again, it'd be a pain in the *** to figure out ALL the multi-type moves... and the mechanic behind them...

JOE!

Smash Hero
...thunderpunch on empoleon would still just be 2x Super Effective damage, no change there

Ludicolo would be neutral still

Tropius would be resitant I think, due to neutral to Elec, along with Res to fight

etc, etc

JOE!

Smash Hero
it would only effect the TOTAL DAMAGE as I said, so it would still do the normal damage that hitting Emp now would

what this does is add more dynamic to moves, so that more types come into play with effectiveness

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I think it would do more damage than good to most pokes, and the meta-game would be either most attacks being resisted and sometimes losing **** loads of health from a 4x move. And it would only apply to a few moves.

JOE!

Smash Hero
alllrighty then, moving on from that then :p

I still say this "Gen" would need to introduce a new mechanic, just as each gen has

Any ideas?

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
New Mechanic possibility: Pokemon interactions.

Similar to the symbiotic relationship had between Mantine and Remoraid, there could be certain effects triggered (in battle or out of) by the use of certain pokemon together. I have a few examples, but I've already typed them three times (only to be deleted each time by "error 502- wrong gateway") and I'm too lazy to re-type them. But if you have any ideas about this or any questions/clarification... just ask.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
New Mechanic possibility: Pokemon interactions.

Similar to the symbiotic relationship had between Mantine and Remoraid, there could be certain effects triggered (in battle or out of) by the use of certain pokemon together. I have a few examples, but I've already typed them three times (only to be deleted each time by "error 502- wrong gateway") and I'm too lazy to re-type them. But if you have any ideas about this or any questions/clarification... just ask.
So... like, if a Seviper and Zangoose are on opposing teams, they both receive and attack boost when they aim for each other? Is that it?

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
So... like, if a Seviper and Zangoose are on opposing teams, they both receive and attack boost when they aim for each other? Is that it?
I think that's the idea i was going for. for instance entries in the pokedex could be used for inspiration. that's a great example of what I was saying (I actually didn't think of it, though I had some similar ones, like between predator/prey species) in that Zangoose and Seviper have a rivalry between them, leading to heightened agression when they fight eachother. however, some of these effects could be negative. like when they fight on the SAME TEAM, they quarrel (same effect as loafing around) every other turn.

EIDT... that sounded VERY maxfire-y. but I'm too tired right now to think of any way to re-word it.

Moozle

Smash Champion
That's a pretty sweet idea since it could include whole team boosts, like with mono-type teams. It reminds me of the X-men games where you get team boosts like if everyone playing is a girl, their damage is multiplied by 1.25. If there are interactions between teams, then there could be some really interesting new countering strategies.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
That would be interesting, but relying on PokeDex for these new mechanices would be way too imbalanced. Garchomp's speed, for one example.

-Terywj

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
That would be interesting, but relying on PokeDex for these new mechanices would be way too imbalanced. Garchomp's speed, for one example.

-Terywj
well we all know the Dex is entirely Un-canon to the rest of the game (Garchomp flying at MACH SPEEDS when he can't learn fly? contradicted by other entries suggesting more than one pokemon are BOTH the fastest while moving around 300 mph!?!)

but it would give us a basis to work from.

JOE!

Smash Hero
And what would happen when Stealth Rock becomes Rock / Ground?

That would be absolutely ridiculous.

-Terywj
1) why would it become rock/ground of all things?

2) pokemon interactions souds sweet....but I think we'll need some really general "classes" for the interactions seeing as we'd have over 500 pokes to do...

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
1) why would it become rock/ground of all things?

2) pokemon interactions souds sweet....but I think we'll need some really general "classes" for the interactions seeing as we'd have over 500 pokes to do...
I see what you mean about the interactions, joe.

While there would be MANY more outliers than rule-following interactions (because pokemon is such a varied subject), we could create a general list of interactions as a reference point. Other interactions that don't follow the rules would have to be developed as they are encountered.

I'll try to start compiling a list. the first is Rivalry: boosts attack stat by ??? when in opposition, while causing pokemon to quarrel when forced to cooperate. Any other ideas?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Symbiotes

When on a team, this pair of pokemon raise each other's weakest stat respectavley (aka, having a Shuckle and an Alakazam would raise each other's offenses and defenses repectivley)

Does nothing when opposing each other

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If SR became Rock/Ground it'd be pretty cool.

It'd **** over Fires but Bugs and Flyers would work again....

Wait nvm almost forgot about mence.

Ground/Rock SR is terrible.

IC3R

Smash Lord
No, Normals and Ghosts would both be immune.

Immunities preside over resistances and weaknesses.

Good try, though! :)

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
FINALLY! I can post again!
lol at pitiful attempt of a non-resisted move.

anyway... another interaction. it's long:

Call to Friends

when carrying multiple of the same pokemon in one's party, the player is more likely to encounter the lowest evolutionary form of that pokemon again. it also makes that pokemon "findable" in locations where they are not normally found. (at drastically reduced frequency than if they are found naturally there) Levels of these pokemon are near the average of the levels of the pokemon used to trigger the effect. Pokemon combinations like Charizard/Charmander can be used to trigger the effect because they are in the same evolutionary chain. Gallade/Gardevoir can also be used as they both evolve from Ralt's chain. Mantine/Remoraid will NOT work, though they are involved in Mantyke's evolution.

One way this could be used would be to find high-level, low evolutionary pokemon. imagine getting a level 48 growlite (with Flare Blitz) out of two lvl. 50 Arcanine without it? or using two eeveelutions to spawn infinite lvl. 50 eevees?

Of course, these pokemon ARE wild, so the result is VERY different from breeding. only reason I'm suggesting this is to offer possible in-field interactions. what do you think?

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
FINALLY! I can post again!
lol at pitiful attempt of a non-resisted move.

anyway... another interaction. it's long:

Call to Friends

when carrying multiple of the same pokemon in one's party, the player is more likely to encounter the lowest evolutionary form of that pokemon again. it also makes that pokemon "findable" in locations where they are not normally found. (at drastically reduced frequency than if they are found naturally there) Levels of these pokemon are near the average of the levels of the pokemon used to trigger the effect. Pokemon combinations like Charizard/Charmander can be used to trigger the effect because they are in the same evolutionary chain. Gallade/Gardevoir can also be used as they both evolve from Ralt's chain. Mantine/Remoraid will NOT work, though they are involved in Mantyke's evolution.

One way this could be used would be to find high-level, low evolutionary pokemon. imagine getting a level 48 growlite (with Flare Blitz) out of two lvl. 50 Arcanine without it? or using two eeveelutions to spawn infinite lvl. 50 eevees?

Of course, these pokemon ARE wild, so the result is VERY different from breeding. only reason I'm suggesting this is to offer possible in-field interactions. what do you think?
lol @ the tcg reference :)

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
did... did this place die? (double post)

my friends at crew have been (somewhat) jokingly discussing new pokemon they want to see in Black/White versions.

one of them recalled that villain from "the Incredibles." yep. that one. "Bomb-voyage" (what? you thought I was talking about the MAIN villain? posh.).

He suggested a bomb-voyage-esque evolution of Mr. Mime who is a fire/psychic type.

Maybe once I get some more info from him, I'll try to post a set/stats for him. It'll be my first pokeset...

and now... I wait. *hopes his post revives awesome thread of power*

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hehe, I remember that one. Beware of the Fire/Psychic typing, though. It's not the best defensive typing, as any of us can tell you. I've been a little busy to contribute lately myself. I might redraw all my old entries just for fun, even Lilibelle! :)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Thermada

Typing: Water / Fire
Ability: Swift Swim / Flash Fire
Stats: 80 / 115 / 95 / 95 / 120 / 60

Offensive movepool includes: Firestarter*, Aqua Jet, Surf, Hydro Pump, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Fire Blast, Overheat, Waterfall, Aqua Tail, Earthquake, Extremespeed

*Firestarter - [Physical] [Fire] - 40 Power / 100 Accuracy - Always strikes first.

Support movepool includes: Aqua Ring, Will-o-Wisp, Swords Dance / Agility / Toxic / Thunder Wave / Mist / Haze

-Terywj

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I'm still trying to work on my croc, but only seem to remember about it when I need to do something else (usually go to sleep). I'll try harder though.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
I would expect the name is based on Thermal/Armada.

so firestarter is a ****-*** coverage priority move? like mach punch for fire types? I see a crazy priority sweeper in the making. though his speed stat could use a little work. Maybe he's used with an agility/baton-passer?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Or Thermada could neglect his poor base Speed and abuse Swords Dance, since his defenses aren't too bad.

I plan on making a "Quick Attack" for all types.

[Normal] - Quick Attack / Fake Out / Extremespeed
[Water] - Aqua Jet
[Fighting] - Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave
[Steel] - Bullet Punch
[Ghost] - Shadow Sneak
[Dark] - Sucker Punch

These are the moves that already exist.

[Fire] - Firestarter
[Electric] - Motor Run?
[Flying] - Air Rush?
[Grass] - Leaf Slash?

-Terywj

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
are we looking at standard priority attacks (the classic 40-power, first-strike move) or all priority attacks?

we could look into sucker-punch/fake-out esque priority moves as well...

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Or Thermada could neglect his poor base Speed and abuse Swords Dance, since his defenses aren't too bad.

I plan on making a "Quick Attack" for all types.

[Normal] - Quick Attack / Fake Out / Extremespeed
[Water] - Aqua Jet
[Fighting] - Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave
[Steel] - Bullet Punch
[Ghost] - Shadow Sneak
[Dark] - Sucker Punch

These are the moves that already exist.

[Fire] - Firestarter
[Electric] - Motor Run?
[Flying] - Air Rush?
[Grass] - Leaf Slash?

-Terywj
I was thinking something like:

[Fire] - Flash Flare
[Electric] - Thunder Jolt (Pikachu's apparent Neutral B in Smash)
[Flying] - Wing Charge (though Air Rush is a really nice name)
[Poison] - Slime Bolt
[Ground] - Quake Punch
[Psychic] - Psyche Out (in vain of Fake Out)
[Bug] - Insect Swarm
[Rock] - Rock Slash
[Dragon] - Wyvern Claw

Top Bottom