• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
The sub line only opens after 7 (usually not a problem), the salads are charged by weight, which kinda sucks, the sandwich place apparently lost like half their selection over summer (wut), and yeah, minifridge in our dorm, but it's kinda small and we have ... a microwave maybe?

O, and an everchanging value meal (often filled with fried chicken).

I live like, 40 minutes from campus so it wouldn't be terribly hard to bring groceries in over the week I guess...but I'm kinda forced to have a meal plan so I'd feel odd not using it.

Maybe my roommate will stop being lazy eventually, although at the moment I'm sorta in a week with projects / midterms to worry about *faceplant*

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Hello and welcome! Lucky!! I used to live down there.... :ohwell:

Now I'm in cold, COLD PA.

I'm 15 now, 135ibs, and play baseball. So I'm in alright shape.
I started running more often, just yesterday I ran a mile in 7:50
I plan to improve on that, any advice? (besides run more, cus that's what I'm doin)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Stretch. It helps out so much. Stretch before you run, and after you run. I recommend "draining" your legs after you run. So that you can get the blood back to your system.

To "drain your legs" just lay down against a wall. And put your legs against the wall vertically. Wait for a while for a tingly feeling. I usually wait for three full minutes.

In good news, I am sore as **** because of going to the gym.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
The sub line only opens after 7 (usually not a problem), the salads are charged by weight, which kinda sucks, the sandwich place apparently lost like half their selection over summer (wut), and yeah, minifridge in our dorm, but it's kinda small and we have ... a microwave maybe?

O, and an everchanging value meal (often filled with fried chicken).

I live like, 40 minutes from campus so it wouldn't be terribly hard to bring groceries in over the week I guess...but I'm kinda forced to have a meal plan so I'd feel odd not using it.

Maybe my roommate will stop being lazy eventually, although at the moment I'm sorta in a week with projects / midterms to worry about *faceplant*
I sympathize with you. Not going to lie I'm pretty stumped on helping you xD. Sorry... all I can say is try your best :(

Meno... SEND US FOOD!

I'm 15 now, 135ibs, and play baseball. So I'm in alright shape.
I started running more often, just yesterday I ran a mile in 7:50
I plan to improve on that, any advice? (besides run more, cus that's what I'm doin)
What Sinz says is right. Try incorporating sprints in there too. I like doing sprint pyramid runs...

1. A half mile warm up(nice and easy, don't go TOO slow)
  2. 100m fast, 100 recover(slow jog... no such thing as too slow)
  3. 200 fast, 100 recover(slow jog same thing)
  4. 400 fast, 200 recover(same thing)
  5. 800 fast 200 recover(walk... you're going to want to xD)
  6. 400 fast, 200 recover(slow jog blah blah)
  7. 200 fast, 100 recover(same
  8. Ok I'm sure you get it already

I did one of those every sunday... and increased the distances by 100m every two weeks. Of course... remember you can't increase them forever xD

Stretch. It helps out so much. Stretch before you run, and after you run. I recommend "draining" your legs after you run. So that you can get the blood back to your system.

To "drain your legs" just lay down against a wall. And put your legs against the wall vertically. Wait for a while for a tingly feeling. I usually wait for three full minutes.

In good news, I am sore as **** because of going to the gym.
Nice nice nice! You get a cookie ( : : )

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Went pretty heavy(but safe heavy) yesterday with the reps for shoulder presses. Felt amazing this morning(sore:)).

Finishing my ab work out right now. Sinz I'll try that draining method for my legs.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the "draining" thing, I'll try that out :D

What Sinz says is right. Try incorporating sprints in there too. I like doing sprint pyramid runs...

1. A half mile warm up(nice and easy, don't go TOO slow)
  2. 100m fast, 100 recover(slow jog... no such thing as too slow)
  3. 200 fast, 100 recover(slow jog same thing)
  4. 400 fast, 200 recover(same thing)
  5. 800 fast 200 recover(walk... you're going to want to xD)
  6. 400 fast, 200 recover(slow jog blah blah)
  7. 200 fast, 100 recover(same
  8. Ok I'm sure you get it already
I'm gonna need some intense motivation for those pyramid sprints LOL
I'll start off with 100-200m, I think that sounds safe for now.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Thanks for the "draining" thing, I'll try that out :D

I'm gonna need some intense motivation for those pyramid sprints LOL
I'll start off with 100-200m, I think that sounds safe for now.
Feel free to alter it and make it shorter/longer to your needs. As for motivation... I literally got my roommate to scream at me while he was writing papers on a laptop as I ran around the track. Be creative :chuckle:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Anyone else thinks this sounds kinda creepy...?

And what exactly is the benefit of doing this?

2cool4u

Smash Rookie
I've been exercising more lately, and I've lost some weight. Unfortunately, whenever I run, I get winded pretty quickly: I can run about a quarter mile before having to stop to catch my breath. No gyms around my house, no treadmill, not allowed to go around my neighborhood because of sketchy neighbors. Any cardio/endurance I can do inside my house? Or is there some breathing technique that I never learned to do? (Did a few pushups)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
@2cool4u: Do you have a PS2/PS3?
Dance Dance Revolution is actually really good cardio xD
And burns a nice amount of calories

2cool4u

Smash Rookie
@2cool4u: Do you have a PS2/PS3?
Dance Dance Revolution is actually really good cardio xD
And burns a nice amount of calories
Really? Hmm, I did not know that. *adding ddr and ps3 to xmas list*
Maybe Santa won't be stingy this year since it's for my health and fitness

Edit: @321BOOM down there: So anything on wii huh? *gets on brawl*

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Feel free to alter it and make it shorter/longer to your needs. As for motivation... I literally got my roommate to scream at me while he was writing papers on a laptop as I ran around the track. Be creative :chuckle:
lmaoo!
I usually watch something like this: >mOtiVaTiOn<

very. I feel like a vampire doing it.
And I'm not sure, lol. Gets the blood pumping back to normal I assume.

and 2cool4u, try jumping jacks or squat-jumps.
Just alternate between them for a minute each, give yourself 10-15second rest.

DDR and anything on wii works too lol.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

When your running you are putting constant pressure on your legs and feet. While putting that pressure on there you are forcing your body to push more blood through your system. However, gravity effects all of us, including our blood. So when your running and you feel like your legs are kind of heavier. Well its because they are. They have extra blood that is just sitting there. By draining your legs you get the excess blood out and back into your system so it can deliver oxygen to the rest of your system. Therefore making it easier for your system to deliver nutrients to the parts of the body that needs it.(I.E. the legs since the muscles should be torn by now.)

EDIT:If I am wrong on anything, feel free to correct me. I am really tired and am not remembering everything correctly. But, I think I got the general idea.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
"Please remember skipping meals will increase your metabolism, which will inadvertently make you fatter(in other words, EAT!!)."

this needs to be changed. You meant to say skipping meals will DECREASE your metabolism rate.
=]

also i did 2 push ups just to make sure.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I've been exercising more lately, and I've lost some weight. Unfortunately, whenever I run, I get winded pretty quickly: I can run about a quarter mile before having to stop to catch my breath. No gyms around my house, no treadmill, not allowed to go around my neighborhood because of sketchy neighbors. Any cardio/endurance I can do inside my house? Or is there some breathing technique that I never learned to do? (Did a few pushups)
Plenty. If you are looking for cardio, jumpropes are a godsend. In my eyes they are pretty much equal to any treadmill or stationary bike.

Try also doing squat jumps, pushups, mountain climbers...

...And I have to say ddr does work, if you do a high difficulty :laugh:

"Please remember skipping meals will increase your metabolism, which will inadvertently make you fatter(in other words, EAT!!)."

this needs to be changed. You meant to say skipping meals will DECREASE your metabolism rate.
=]

also i did 2 push ups just to make sure.
Wow... didn't notice that. Thanks a lot hahaha.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
My max for squat gets better(100 to 175 now) while I can't bench more than 125, and I've been benching for two months now. Weird, and I think I'm doing them right too. Shoulder blades together, arms a little more than shoulder width apart, and feet on the ground.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh quick question.

When measuring the amount of weight you're bench pressing - is it just the weights, or the weights + the bar?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
My max for squat gets better(100 to 175 now) while I can't bench more than 125, and I've been benching for two months now. Weird, and I think I'm doing them right too. Shoulder blades together, arms a little more than shoulder width apart, and feet on the ground.
You seem to be doing perfectly fine. You can't bench as much as you sqaut.

Oh quick question.

When measuring the amount of weight you're bench pressing - is it just the weights, or the weights + the bar?
Weights plus bar. :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just curious, what exercises can I do for my obliques?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
OOh, just realized a new gym was made. I was on the old one spreading the word. I don't need help, people in the smash scene down here call me Swoll as a nickname. I'm just here to tell people what I did to get where I am.

Bench: 230 max
I haven't maxed out on anything else, I just do my 6 rep sets. I'll update when I get a spotter.

I weight 149 lbs, and I'm 5'6" tall. I've gained 10 lbs since starting my new program. My goal is to make it to 165 lbs, but I haven't really put a date on that yet. I stopped working out when I found out I was having a kid, and I was working too much so I didn't have time. I've recently ignited that flame again (since being laid off :/)

My biggest obstacle is affording the food I have to eat to gain the weight.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Hey I found some great videos for abs, I wanted to know if they were legit.
I tried out the exercise routines and I was really feeling it :)

Lower Abs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVog4y4Ziww

Upper Abs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQeZh57mBMw

The lower ab workout is legit...

The upper abs workout lies when it says that basic workouts don't work... they definitely do. That being said, the workout it provides is legit. :)

OOh, just realized a new gym was made. I was on the old one spreading the word. I don't need help, people in the smash scene down here call me Swoll as a nickname. I'm just here to tell people what I did to get where I am.

Bench: 230 max
I haven't maxed out on anything else, I just do my 6 rep sets. I'll update when I get a spotter.

I weight 149 lbs, and I'm 5'6" tall. I've gained 10 lbs since starting my new program. My goal is to make it to 165 lbs, but I haven't really put a date on that yet. I stopped working out when I found out I was having a kid, and I was working too much so I didn't have time. I've recently ignited that flame again (since being laid off :/)

My biggest obstacle is affording the food I have to eat to gain the weight.
O heya! Glad to have you back! Sorry for disappearing for a bit. :p

Oh and congrats on the kid! Best of luck in this job market.

As for food, I understand your problem completely. Not sure if this helps but my sister likes to send me coupons and I search for sales like a madman. I'm still in college, so I pretty much rely on basic college food though...

Oh, and having a local Walmart around definitely helps the money cause (though I don't approve of the clothing sweatshops).

L__

Smash Master
:bored and decided to post again:

Info:

A little under 6 feet tall
125 lbs.
Build: ...idk twig-ish?

Goals:
not be skin and bone

maybe editing this for future reference

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Question: when choosing to run along with weight training (and ab workouts), when would be most the most beneficial to run? Before or after the weight training?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I always(and have been taught to) run beforehand since it helps warm up your muscles.
While this seems to be true in most cases, it is debatable.

One argument is then running beforehand will use all your quick energy stores and you won't have sufficient power to fully exercise your fast twitch muscles when it comes to weight training. Also (if you go to a public gym), after the run you'd be drenched with sweat and you'll contaminate all the equipment, which is annoying to everybody else. Make sure you carry a towel. I always run after my weight training.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm with Clue, for the same reasons. I didn't run that much tbh, but when I did, it was always after lifting. I powerlifted nonstop for 8 straight years, taking the last 2 off. 5-6 days a week, 90-120 mins. I need to get back with it.

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
This thread is a really great idea!

I'm 17, 5-9 and 125 lbs. I'm aiming for definition in the abs and upper body, namely arms and chest.

I'm going to do that ab work out you mentioned under the tips, and then I just need a routine for the upper body. I'd prefer to stay away from the gym, just because money is a little tight now, so at least take the next few months to get a solid base before hitting the gym. I watched that push up video, and I will definitely start with that.

The guy mentions to do it monday, wednesday, and friday? Should I do that, or should I do it everyday? What else should I do besides that? I figure pull ups, but how many (As many as I can, if so how many sets) and on what days? Anything else I can do without equipment? I have some really light weights that wouldn't be any good for curls, but would running with them do anything for my strength? Basically I just want to know when and how much I should do of this stuff.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
While this seems to be true in most cases, it is debatable.

One argument is then running beforehand will use all your quick energy stores and you won't have sufficient power to fully exercise your fast twitch muscles when it comes to weight training. Also (if you go to a public gym), after the run you'd be drenched with sweat and you'll contaminate all the equipment, which is annoying to everybody else. Make sure you carry a towel. I always run after my weight training.
You indeed have a point, and from what I've read/been told there really isn't a "correct" answer. You kind of have to use your own judgment on this one. :ohwell:

This thread is a really great idea!

I'm 17, 5-9 and 125 lbs. I'm aiming for definition in the abs and upper body, namely arms and chest.

I'm going to do that ab work out you mentioned under the tips, and then I just need a routine for the upper body. I'd prefer to stay away from the gym, just because money is a little tight now, so at least take the next few months to get a solid base before hitting the gym. I watched that push up video, and I will definitely start with that.

The guy mentions to do it monday, wednesday, and friday? Should I do that, or should I do it everyday? What else should I do besides that? I figure pull ups, but how many (As many as I can, if so how many sets) and on what days? Anything else I can do without equipment? I have some really light weights that wouldn't be any good for curls, but would running with them do anything for my strength? Basically I just want to know when and how much I should do of this stuff.
If you are doing body weight exercises, you may do them everyday if you wish. Bodyweight exercises are different from weightlifting since they almost balance themselves out.

As for how many... what exercise exactly are you talking about?

As for pullups, I always did them until I couldn't anymore; sets were never my thing.

There's plenty else you can do without equipment! I'm leaving in a second but pester me about it and I'll get to it later(really, it's ok. pester me).

Though I've never ran with weights, I have seen amazing results from people who wear weighted body suits. To be honest I don't really know how much running with them in hand helps, but I've seen people do it. I'll try and figure that out for you soon.

As for when and how much... just try to run everyday, but don't run more than 30 minutes as at that point you will start to burn a lot. Run in sprints(unless you aren't a sprinter...). Bodyweight exercises can pretty much be done daily, though don't OVERwork yourself. As for sets, you really should work until you can't anymore(muscular failure). If you can't find the will to continue, I'll write up sets for you. Feel free to pm/vm me if I'm being too unclear or something.

When it comes to diet and exercise, there is much debate on what is truly right. I welcome others to give me their opposing views and to change whatever I have said, since there is more than one way to go about something(and occasionally I mix up my words... I'm dyslexic :psycho:). Also, each person is unique, and the "perfect" exercise regiment for each person is just as unique. Happy working-out!

Dark_Bomb

Smash Rookie
Ah I think I'll begin this sort of thing. I joined the gym about a month ago, starting at an ugly 210 pounds, I am now down to 187 and I'm seeing very small results. Though I do lift weights, do the crunches, I focus more on my legs through running, jogging, and using a tread mill since it'll help me burn off my weight quicker than the others. Already I can see a four pack coming in, it is still fairly hidden but I can see it slightly pressing through which is YAY!

Being I am new to this I don't have much to say, however, I do plan to keep everybody updated on my progress. I assure you that. I've awaited years to kill my ugly fatness and send it to **** and it will finally happen AND I PLAN TO BRAG!!!!!

Sorry for the outburst. I'm just so happy and excited.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
Updated info:

5'5? 5'6 if I'm lucky.
118 lbs (5 lb gain so happy)
Build: Cut/Toned

Goals: reach a normal or near normal weight. Also, get an 8 pack.

Btw, TW, it's wierd, because for some reason, no matter how I work out my lower adominals, I can't seem to get that cut right between my 6th and 8th pack. So right now I have the semblance of a 7 pack. Which...is wierd. I know each person is different, but any suggestions or is this just normal?

Nike.

Smash Hero
Brawllllllllll DDDDD:

I stepped away from smashboards due to inactivity the san antonio scene but decided to stalk the pool room :D I thought I might be of help here, although anything I have to say has already been said. Btw Tiger, this is a very nice thread and your very courteous and helpful towards others. It's a great help to our scene.

I'll try to make a contributing post tonight.

CAOTIC: Are you still in that plateau stage? Your a regular at a gym if I remember. Maybe it's that point where your muscles have completely adapted to your weekly routine, or that the workload has to reach a heaver and more intense load. It could be your nutrition and that mass muscle supplements are now a major help since your most likely reaching that stage. Hopefully one of the personal trainers knows whats up and can help.

Top Bottom