• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Going on a health spree, trying to get into shape lol.

What's the simplest way to work triceps, with weights and without?

Same question for forearms, and chest?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ah, I couldn't initially tell from the photos what you were doing. But yeah, the chain belt makes sense now. Really impressive. I've always wanted to try that with dips, but it just looks scary to do.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've been curious to ask but how does one join this gym? Does one have to be handsome in order to join?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Very. Very. VERY HANDSOME.

Nah just say you want to and boom you're in lol. There used to be a formal process but I'm too lazy/busy to handle that anymore. :oneeye:
I'm only handsome, I guess I don't qualify. :urg:

Oh, then I would like to join.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
it's not too bad, thats what the chain belt is for really. plus i think my gym would banish me if i accidentally dropped 90lbs of dumbbells at the top of a pullup :embarrass:
lol, just one dumbbell. alternate which leg its behind each set. it also helps keep you upright; if you caterpillar upwards or squirm, you're gonna drop it.

i used to use the chain belt, but i found it swung too much, and would result in poor form and crotch anxiety. dumbbell all the way, baby :)

out of interest, how many reps did you do?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
crotch anxiety was wicked high til i started looping it through the far side first before clipping it back onto the original link. that was a 1rm but i think it could go a little higher since it wasn't quite 'max out' intensity... usually i do 45 lbs for 4-6 rep sets. putting a 90lb behind my leg still sounds dangerous, i have enough trouble lugging around the 80s for my bench :embarrass: :embarrass:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, I'm thinking I want to make a New Years post here soon. Everybody should do one too!

I'll compare to my last post in September. I'll take a new progress pick, body stats, with new goals, and reflections on what I did and didn't do. "Squats", lol.

Time to wreck **** in 2011, I think.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord

I'm a server at Ruth's Chris.

I make my big money in December.
I took two days off this entire month and worked plenty of doubles. I made bank.
You try going to the gym after being on your feet for 11+ hours straight OR early in the morning.

**** that. down time and sleep win...at least for the past month it has.

$>>body.

kthanks

M.K

Level 55
Hmm, I wonder what my new year's revolution is.....

.....oh right lmao.

I wanna get in shape before college.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Took the whole week off mainly cause of playing excessive football and basketball. Gonna go hard tomorrow with some dead lifts.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Excuse me but I'll post where i want to. Thanks.

I was in the gym squatting today. So suck on that.

I have heart and dedication. Thats the reason I posted that i was 'taking a break' in the first place. So I would GET BACK in the gym and push myself.

You CLEARLY don't know me.
Can both of you stop trolling? Is that ok with you two? You've seen my posts before. I DO WORK

foolish posts...

...We'll see who gets work done IN THE GYM in 2011.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I started lifting a little over a month ago in early november. I found this workout program that had me doing a combination of deadlifts, squats, bent overs, bench press, and overheads three times a week.

After only 6 weeks I began to see that my strength and posture have improved.

Last week I was introduced to a program called Stronglifts 5x5 and began to read up on the articles on the site. Now I'm really excited about getting to the gym. I am actually pretty disappointed that the workout only allows for three times a week because it's so fun.

My goals for the end of my spring semester:

Being able to squat and deadlift 315 lbs, bench 225, and to be able to do 100 consecutive push ups.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
That's awesome, I remember developing my addiction to the gym and miss that feeling. 5x5 is a good way to start out and you have some solid goals. Remember to eat a good diet (you can eat a lot, just don't eat crap) and observe your rest days (you'll plateau fast if you start out lifting every day). Good luck!

I propose we start a new thread for the new year. I think some people get intimidated by giant 1000+ post threads... half the posts on the last few pages are by like 3 people :pikachu2:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
yea you know ill be posting in the new one. itll give those new to the thread a chance to jump in instead of worrying whether they said/asked something already brought up in the giant thread. just have a mod lock this one or something. Plus it'll be perfect for catchin all the new years resolution weight goals haha.

BSP

Smash Legend
I was keeping up with a running regimen a few days ago, but then it just got extremely cold (for La.) and I've lost the will to keep up with it. I need to try and get back out, but cold is my least favorite thing.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I started lifting a little over a month ago in early november. I found this workout program that had me doing a combination of deadlifts, squats, bent overs, bench press, and overheads three times a week.

After only 6 weeks I began to see that my strength and posture have improved.

Last week I was introduced to a program called Stronglifts 5x5 and began to read up on the articles on the site. Now I'm really excited about getting to the gym. I am actually pretty disappointed that the workout only allows for three times a week because it's so fun.

My goals for the end of my spring semester:

Being able to squat and deadlift 315 lbs, bench 225, and to be able to do 100 consecutive push ups.
This is actually pretty much the same goals for me. Just curious, what's your height/weight, and what are your numbers right now?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think I've hit a plateau...any tips on how to change things up specifically? What's better? Dif reps? Different exercises? Different order of my exercises?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Today was my first day at the gym so suggesting a work-out will be more accessible. Now the reason why I joined this gym is because I'm 50% done with my body goal. Back in July 09', I was 5'7, 232 lbs, only slightly handsome...and had this crush on a girl. Motivated by determination, change but mostly motivated by that crush, I dedicated myself to losing weight. Skip forward to June '10, I was 5'8, 164 lbs and very handsome. Well...something happened and I decided to end my pursuit of leanness. Skip forward to September, I gained 6 lbs. Fearing that I would gain the weight I lost and motivated by something else, I decided to start my pursuit again. That was in Mid-October. Skip again to today, I'm 5'8 and 163 lbs, Now I'm still eating to a certain calorie count, eating healthier and walking 2-4 hours everyday and that's what has been working for me. My lower body has benefited from my changed lifestyle...but the upper body hasn't fully. I still have some "baggage" left. This is the other 50% of my goal I hope to achieve by joining this gym: to lose the "baggage" and have a lean and fit upper body.

Now help this Rattlehead achieve his goal! :mad:

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
wow good **** so far

lol @ 5'7, 232

Ive never been overweight but I have a good fiend that size and he always tries to cut weight. He always gets big again in the end. He would have to work out and eat healthy as part of a new lifestyle to ever have a chance of keeping it off for good.

I just talked to him bout it. Hes pretty set on being skinny or at least in shape. I said that his 'big' size was his natural size and his body would always go back to that after he stopped working out and started eating whatever again. (why would you give up delicious fatty food anyways?) He looks fine being big. Looks more thick and husky. He gets to like 220 and then levels out and doesn't put on more and more weight.

What he doesn't like now is his huge round gut... but he looks weird when hes skinny.

I swear that some people just have a bigger or smaller natural body weight. I try and try to put on weight, but I'm a steady 175lb. I have to force food down to gain. Its not fun and i feel like if i stop ill just lose the weight again and go back to my 'natural weight'

I told my friend to just quit the aggravation and stress of trying to lose weight and just start lifting...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Got a present signature fo yall.

You'll wanna link it to the new thread when it's up, but here it is for now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
wow good **** so far

lol @ 5'7, 232

Ive never been overweight but I have a good fiend that size and he always tries to cut weight. He always gets big again in the end. He would have to work out and eat healthy as part of a new lifestyle to ever have a chance of keeping it off for good.

I just talked to him bout it. Hes pretty set on being skinny or at least in shape. I said that his 'big' size was his natural size and his body would always go back to that after he stopped working out and started eating whatever again. (why would you give up delicious fatty food anyways?) He looks fine being big. Looks more thick and husky. He gets to like 220 and then levels out and doesn't put on more and more weight.

What he doesn't like now is his huge round gut... but he looks weird when hes skinny.

I swear that some people just have a bigger or smaller natural body weight. I try and try to put on weight, but I'm a steady 175lb. I have to force food down to gain. Its not fun and i feel like if i stop ill just lose the weight again and go back to my 'natural weight'

I told my friend to just quit the aggravation and stress of trying to lose weight and just start lifting...
Well that's the process of bulking or cutting. Bulking, you need like 3500 calories per day (preferably healthy) while lifting weights, and for cutting, you need to go around 1500 per day while going hardcore with cardio (HIIT)

If your friend does lose weight and what not, he should be able to maintain it if he doesn't overeat.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Bulking, you need like 3500 calories per day (preferably healthy) while lifting weights, and for cutting, you need to go around 1500 per day while going hardcore with cardio (HIIT)
IMO someone who weighs 220 should not even think about going that low; that would **** his metabolism.

Honestly I dont think "bulking and cutting" is really necessary. You can only gain so much muscle at a time; it's a rather slow process. Drastically overeating in a hope to gain a bunch of lean mass doesn't really lead to much more gains than a moderate positive energy balance... Unless you're on steroids or have rediculously high T levels.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I mean...the regular nutritional outtake should be 2000 calories. Most body builders recommend 4000, so 3000 to 3500 is a good range in my opinion. If you eat healthy and lean, don't rely on fast food, you should see promising results.

And yeah, I exaggerated on the cutting routine, because that's meant for those who want to shed fat and make their muscles look more defined. A good steady diet and healthy exercising should be good for people who want to drop more then a few pounds.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Really diggin the sig, but I'm gonna have to stick with my Kobe one for now.

Anyone know if it's wise to ignore my legs to weights while I'm playing excessive football and basketball? I still workout my upper body, but my legs are usually sore or dead from all the "cardio". I haven't lost any gains, but it's still a concern.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
This is actually pretty much the same goals for me. Just curious, what's your height/weight, and what are your numbers right now?
I'm about 5'9 or 5'10 and around 190 lbs.

Right now I'm squatting 145, deadlifting 185, and benching 140. I'm increasing my bench and squat by 5 lbs and deadlift by 10 lbs every workout.

If I don't stall, I should be able to hit those numbers by the end of march :).

Top Bottom