• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Kira-

Smash Champion
I can't bulk up at all.It's just maintaining tone Im doing at the moment.I had some super abs going there for a while.Then stopped working them out.....:(

I think I need a gym and some supplements.
So if this happens do you just need to up your calorie intake a TON or what?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Trying to eat more is hard (without snacking). I lost my initial hunger awhile ago, and trying to eat that much again is difficult.

*nibbles a cracker*

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Let's see, I might be coming back here a lot of for advice; and it just seems like all the cool kids are posting short bios of themselves; so why not?

Hi there, I'm Jose, or "Kinzer" on the internet. I'm 17 years old, and I weight about 120-130 pounds (it tends to fluctuate). I'm about 6 feet tall; and right now I'd say I'm doing alright.

My body composition will not allow for me to get huge; but at least I'll still be able to build up my physical strength and put on a little bit of muscle I guess. I have been working out twice a week for 2 hours a day (I think I started sometime earlier this month; I don't remember).

I powerwalk on the Elliptical machine for about an hour and (try to) burn 500 calories, according to the machine. After that I'll take 5 minute breaks between exercises such as curls, squats, pull ups, push-ups, etc. I try to keep my body synchronous; and I think that's working out well. Again I don't think I need to worry about having one part being bigger than another since it hardly grows in mass anyway. I'd say my favorite part to work out would be the abdominal area... or maybe just because everybody makes such a big deal out of having a pack; meh I don't know.

My eating habits are alright; I could do better but I could be doing worse. Almost everyday I have some kind of meat, even a light snack such as a hot-dog weiner or a piece of bologna.

Where I am right now, I am very pleased with myself. I definitely feel better than I did when I wasn't working out; and I don't intend on stopping anytime soon. My goal would be to just maintain this feeling of accomplishment and putting on a 6-pack (if that can even be done with my lifestyle/genetic make-up). If I'm going to go for the ladder, I think it'd have to be at a very slow pace; with just the way things are right now. My family lives a very fast-paced life; we're also a bunch of procrastinators so usually Mom will just go out and buy food from places like Sonic (the restaurant) or something. I'm not sure how good (or bad) burgers are for you, but I guess I'm making up for it by not being tempted to the more sugary stuff, like a McFlurry from McDonalds and stuff like that. Somebody want to tell me whether this is doing me any favors or not?

Regardless, uh what else is there...? I suppose since somebody said I should post a picture of how I look right now for various reasons, I can do that.

What a shame I can't get rid of the flash; I don't know how to work my mother's camera. This will have to do for now I guess, if you can't make anything out of it.

I guess that's it; unless I missed something or somebody else is curious about something.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Kinzer, if you're trying to build muscle, you gotta stop doing an hour an the elliptical! Cardio kills gains. You should try to work in some kind of a routine that gets you sweating, absolutely, but the elliptical machine is for people trying to lose weight. And if you're not trying to do that, then I'd cut it out completely.

If you're going for the 6-pack, you've gotta do some core exercises, and eat healthier. Sweating for an hour on a cardio machine burns calories, and it will technically help you get a 6-pack, but at the expense of all your other muscles. Try 15 minutes at a higher speed instead.

As for your workouts, I would try to start lifting more weight. I'm guessing right now when you do squats, curls, ect. you have a very manageable weight, and you do repetitions 10-12+ times? If you want to get bigger, you'll have to lift more, and to compensate, lift the weight 6-8 times instead.

6'0" and 130 pounds (or less?) is incredibly skinny. I'm guessing you hardly eat at all, and when you do, like you said it's usually not healthy stuff. Burgers from Sonic are crap. Not much to say here, either you eat healthy or you don't, I can't do the grocery shopping for your family.

Well that's all I have to offer from your bio! Hope it helps.

M.K

Level 55
Okay tell me what I'm experiencing here--

Recently I've started substituting Diet Sodas (I only drink Diet Sodas, no regular 200-calorie crap) with Unsweetened Ice Tea (I'm not doing it because I have to either; I actually really like Unsweet Ice Tea). I'm not exactly like....losing weight or anything, but I just feel better about myself. I feel like I'm not as like....bloated or something, I don't know how to describe it.
Also, sometimes, even if I haven't worked out in a while (I'm a springboard diver and I work out 4 times a week) I start to feel slimmer for some reason. You can't lose weight by simply eating better, can you? I really haven't "focused' on my eating habits as much as I've tried to sub out sodas/sandwiches for stuff like Tea/Salads.

EDIT: Also, I LOVE Elliptical Runs. I feel stupid closing my eyes in the YMCA like I do....but I love the feeling of sweat dripping down my body when I'm really hot. <--is this weird ? lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kinzer, if you're trying to build muscle, you gotta stop doing an hour an the elliptical! Cardio kills gains. You should try to work in some kind of a routine that gets you sweating, absolutely, but the elliptical machine is for people trying to lose weight. And if you're not trying to do that, then I'd cut it out completely.

If you're going for the 6-pack, you've gotta do some core exercises, and eat healthier. Sweating for an hour on a cardio machine burns calories, and it will technically help you get a 6-pack, but at the expense of all your other muscles. Try 15 minutes at a higher speed instead.

As for your workouts, I would try to start lifting more weight. I'm guessing right now when you do squats, curls, ect. you have a very manageable weight, and you do repetitions 10-12+ times? If you want to get bigger, you'll have to lift more, and to compensate, lift the weight 6-8 times instead.

6'0" and 130 pounds (or less?) is incredibly skinny. I'm guessing you hardly eat at all, and when you do, like you said it's usually not healthy stuff. Burgers from Sonic are crap. Not much to say here, either you eat healthy or you don't, I can't do the grocery shopping for your family.

Well that's all I have to offer from your bio! Hope it helps.
Hey~!

What's Cardio? Is that short for Cardiovascular? If it is, I still don't know what it is and why exactly it's not necessary what I'm aiming for. :( Could you explain that to me please, or should I just look it up on Google myself?

Hmm... 15 minutes on a high speed you say? I suppose I could try to go for no resistance but keep the speed at a constant 30 KM/H. Maybe just 25 for the first time around, I'm not used to keeping speed constant unless I'm trying to make up for lost time. With that said though, how else would I go about keeping my legs up to par if I shouldn't spend so much time running on the elliptical?

Yes actually, I do 10 rounds om 10 pounds for everything. When I feel comfortable enough I'll increase the weight. I'll see if I can do 15 pounds with 6-8 repititions now I guess since you said to increase the weight but decrease the amount.

I figured it is. I've never weighed anymore than 130 pounds my life. I eat cereal whenever I wake up (not always in the morning >_>), and then I always have dinner at 4-5 P.M. If it ain't carry-out; it's family-cooked. I figure that is much better for me. I know I also have to eat a lot; but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Starting off with light meals seems optimal. No snacking either I assume, it's either a light-meal or a whole dish I'm assuming? What constitutes a light meal though? I don't think it'd be a whole Steak, but not a bag of chips either... A salad, perhaps?

Certainly.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm going to start jogging again.

What music do you guys recommend?

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay tell me what I'm experiencing here--

Recently I've started substituting Diet Sodas (I only drink Diet Sodas, no regular 200-calorie crap) with Unsweetened Ice Tea (I'm not doing it because I have to either; I actually really like Unsweet Ice Tea). I'm not exactly like....losing weight or anything, but I just feel better about myself. I feel like I'm not as like....bloated or something, I don't know how to describe it.
Also, sometimes, even if I haven't worked out in a while (I'm a springboard diver and I work out 4 times a week) I start to feel slimmer for some reason. You can't lose weight by simply eating better, can you? I really haven't "focused' on my eating habits as much as I've tried to sub out sodas/sandwiches for stuff like Tea/Salads.

EDIT: Also, I LOVE Elliptical Runs. I feel stupid closing my eyes in the YMCA like I do....but I love the feeling of sweat dripping down my body when I'm really hot. <--is this weird ? lol.
Ice Tea doesn't have the carbonation that you get in Diet Sodas. Therefore less gas in your tummy, less bloated-ness.

And yes, you can lose weight simply by eating better. Weight loss should really be, 30% exercise and 70% about what you eat. Or something along those lines.

Although that's where my problem is. I'm great with the exercise but suck with eating. ;x Gonna have to work on that for a lil while now since my shoulder spasmed out randomly over the weekend and my chiro is telling me not to do weights for at least two weeks. *siiiiiigh*

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just out of interest, where does this information come from? ive heard it from quite a few people, but have never heard any literature or reasoning backing it up.

all these books below

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...age&q=strength training reps and sets&f=false pg 104

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...age&q=strength training reps and sets&f=false pg 40

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...v=onepage&q=hypertrophy reps and sets&f=false pg 91

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...v=onepage&q=hypertrophy reps and sets&f=false pg 143

and heaps more agree that about 8-12 reps of 2-4 sets are optimal for size and strength acquisition. even finding these books now, i couldnt find a single one contradicting what i thought.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Recently I've been better about going to the gym, found a new gym buddy :bee:
New goal is to be able to do an unassisted pull up by the end of this semester because right now I have no upper body :( haha

*Edit*
April fools moderator totally blindsided me...

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Hey~!

What's Cardio? Is that short for Cardiovascular? If it is, I still don't know what it is and why exactly it's not necessary what I'm aiming for. :( Could you explain that to me please, or should I just look it up on Google myself?

Hmm... 15 minutes on a high speed you say? I suppose I could try to go for no resistance but keep the speed at a constant 30 KM/H. Maybe just 25 for the first time around, I'm not used to keeping speed constant unless I'm trying to make up for lost time. With that said though, how else would I go about keeping my legs up to par if I shouldn't spend so much time running on the elliptical?

Yes actually, I do 10 rounds om 10 pounds for everything. When I feel comfortable enough I'll increase the weight. I'll see if I can do 15 pounds with 6-8 repititions now I guess since you said to increase the weight but decrease the amount.

I figured it is. I've never weighed anymore than 130 pounds my life. I eat cereal whenever I wake up (not always in the morning >_>), and then I always have dinner at 4-5 P.M. If it ain't carry-out; it's family-cooked. I figure that is much better for me. I know I also have to eat a lot; but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Starting off with light meals seems optimal. No snacking either I assume, it's either a light-meal or a whole dish I'm assuming? What constitutes a light meal though? I don't think it'd be a whole Steak, but not a bag of chips either... A salad, perhaps?

Certainly.
Yep, cardio means cardiovascular exercise. I know you have it in your mind that it's "healthy," and it is, but someone in your position shouldn't be doing a lot of it. You're legs will be fine with the shorter, more intense workout. Do some leg machines if you're still worried about it. As far as the 10-pound dumbbells, up it to 20 lbs. Immediately. If you can do all sorts of exercises for 10 reps at that weight, you'll be able to do it with 20's. I promise. Even at 130 pounds body weight, you have it in you to do a lot more.

Do you ever eat lunch? Just pack a sandwich and chips or something. You gotta eat if you wanna get bigger. These aren't my main meals, but foods I always have sitting around at my house: tuna, apples, bananas, natural peanut butter (eat Natural PB sandwiches with wheat bread as much as possible), oatmeal, cheese sticks, Cheerios/Wheaties, granola bars, almonds, yogurt, lettuce/croutons. Snack on them as much as possible.

You should snack on those as much as you can, or at least more than you're eating now. They're all relatively cheap too.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
just out of interest, where does this information come from? ive heard it from quite a few people, but have never heard any literature or reasoning backing it up.

all these books below

{links}

and heaps more agree that about 8-12 reps of 2-4 sets are optimal for size and strength acquisition. even finding these books now, i couldnt find a single one contradicting what i thought.
I agree completely, when I work out, I do 10 reps a lot of the time too. But if you want to get stronger, you have to lift heavier weights. Heavier weights are harder to lift, so you'll have to decrease the reps at first too.
When I showed up to college track, I said the same things you're saying now. "Why lift more at lower reps? I can do this manageable weight for 10 reps!" Well the coaches made everyone increase the weight by a lot, and lower the reps. THEN eventually, after building up that base power with the heavier weights, we went back up to 10 reps again (like you said, it's an effective number), but were then able to lift much more. I guess it's just an evolving cycle.
I'm not saying the 10 rep approach is bad, I'm just saying that sometimes you need to change up the workout if you're not seeing results. And heavier weights/lower reps are an ingredient to any strength training program, at least in the short run.

M.K

Level 55
I HATE my body.
No, literally, I look in the mirror and realize how disgusted I am with myself for letting myself get this way. The problem isn't even that I'm unfit; in fact, I'm a springboard diver (yeah, I know, hard to believe, right?) but I freaking hate myself right now to the point in which I am VERY uncomfortable even going to practice because of the way I look. I'm so unhappy with how wide I am, and it's just....so disheartening.
I've never been fit, I mean, when I was 7 or 8 maybe; but yeah, I've been pretty much overweight my entire life and I'm sick of it. I LOVE working out, I LOVE the rush, I LOVE listening to music. I just want all this disgust to disappear along with the fat that surrounds my body ;_; I feel like just running forever, but my schedule doesn't allow it...=(
I read online that I need to share this with others, so SWF, your ambiguity is clearly a good outlet. Does anyone have any inspirational stories? I'm....I'm so unhappy, but I'm ready to change! I'M SO READY ;_:!!!

trademark0013

Smash Champion
@ Meta Kirby:

It takes a lot to get motivated. It takes more to keep motivated. The girl i'm wit now is the original reason i started. i thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world and didnt want anyone to come along and take her from me. seeing my progress got me motivated to keep going. Every so often I slack off and when i do I feel terrible. Dont worry i feel/felt the same way. lookin into a mirror and grabbin ish and bein like "why is this here?!" but u cant sit there and complain about it, u gotta do somethin about it too.

and the thing wit the soda is just a mental thing. iirc diet soda is pretty bad for u.

I just started 5x5 today. anyone else doing it/done it? how did it work out for u?

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I HATE my body.
No, literally, I look in the mirror and realize how disgusted I am with myself for letting myself get this way. The problem isn't even that I'm unfit; in fact, I'm a springboard diver (yeah, I know, hard to believe, right?) but I freaking hate myself right now to the point in which I am VERY uncomfortable even going to practice because of the way I look. I'm so unhappy with how wide I am, and it's just....so disheartening.
I've never been fit, I mean, when I was 7 or 8 maybe; but yeah, I've been pretty much overweight my entire life and I'm sick of it. I LOVE working out, I LOVE the rush, I LOVE listening to music. I just want all this disgust to disappear along with the fat that surrounds my body ;_; I feel like just running forever, but my schedule doesn't allow it...=(
I read online that I need to share this with others, so SWF, your ambiguity is clearly a good outlet. Does anyone have any inspirational stories? I'm....I'm so unhappy, but I'm ready to change! I'M SO READY ;_:!!!
Please post a pic so i can tell you if you are justified in being so sick of your body. Sometimes for athletes physique can be too much of an obsession.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
start jogging my friend diet and excercise are the only things that will change physique

man physique doesn't mean anything at all to me though, I place much more emphasis on strength

I'm curious has anyone here been to a nudist area? I would think excercise junkies would be the first to feel liberated enough to attend these

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm....I'm so unhappy, but I'm ready to change! I'M SO READY ;_:!!!
THEN DO IT!

You sound convincingly mentally prepped, at this point you just need to shove yourself into action. As of your last post, have you done much exercise, how is dropping soda going?

I'm curious has anyone here been to a nudist area? I would think excercise junkies would be the first to feel liberated enough to attend these
Not more than anyone else would be...

Anyways, progress pic!

My abs are actually popping (now that I'm actually paying attention to them)! Otherwise, everything seems to working out pretty good.

Shök

Smash Champion
THEN DO IT!

You sound convincingly mentally prepped, at this point you just need to shove yourself into action. As of your last post, have you done much exercise, how is dropping soda going?

Not more than anyone else would be...

Anyways, progress pic!

My abs are actually popping (now that I'm actually paying attention to them)! Otherwise, everything seems to working out pretty good.
Nice progress, Meno. How long have you been working out now?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Nice progress, Meno. How long have you been working out now?
I like my body a lot now, but considering I've been working out for three years, I always feel like I should be on a different level. Then again, I didn't know what the hell I was doing for the first two, so it makes sense. :p

Anyways, checking my weight Friday, I'm two pounds away from my goal of 140lbs!!! I'mma have it by next weekend. OMNOMNOMNOM

Shök

Smash Champion
I like my body a lot now, but considering I've been working out for three years, I always feel like I should be on a different level. Then again, I didn't know what the hell I was doing for the first two, so it makes sense. :p

Anyways, checking my weight Friday, I'm two pounds away from my goal of 140lbs!!! I'mma have it by next weekend. OMNOMNOMNOM
Ha ha. I see. I've been thinking about working out. :p

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm finally at 140lbs!!!

Thing is, I checked it right before doing my regular work-out and I lost so much incentive. I need a new goal. 150 by the end of the semester? :bee:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
i never managed to get in the weight room after school but i was in there in class today. first time on the bench press i did 70 thats good right?

also recently i started doing ab exercises before bed. 2 sets of 50 bicylces, 10 lemon squeezers, and 20 leg rasises

GOD!

Smash Ace
Lol your not serious are you?

I just counted the calories of my dinner a few days ago. I worked out for about 45 minutes and then I ran 9 miles. My dinner was 2400 calories.
And I didn't gain any weight.

If you want to eat whatever you want, all you have to do is commit to run a tri or marathon/half-marathon. The training takes care of whatever you eat.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Oh I eat pretty much whatever I want anyway and never gain anything.

Lucky me eh?

I eat mostly healthy anyway though.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol theres not a chance you did burned 2400 calories from a workout, definitely just water weight, but its true that you dont have to diet hard if youre active.

i struck gold on craigslist and bought 375 lbs of free weights for $75. now I use that to supplement my crossfit routines. the best part is I can now do weighted pullups at home. I just stick 40 lbs worth into an old messenger bag and strap it around my waist. it'll also be handy for summer so I don't have to drive to my school's gym every day :)

Top Bottom