• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sync's Sexy Saloon 2=Sept11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I'd really like to see a tally (and who the voters are) of who would agree with me or xyro on this little shin dig

Gnes

Smash Master
His logic used was interesting, johning isn't so transparent as that, but its not that hard to spot either.

People do put a value on everything. Why waste your energy if u get nothing out of it? But the same can be said for the opposite. Why does there have to be incentive for a person to play their best?

Ahhh 2am ramblings...off to sleep.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
"Incentive to play their best" just irritates me. 90% of the time, I'm playing at my best, and that other 10% are a couple matches where I'm testing a new move (like last time at Sync's, and I pika-slid over half the time in some of my early freindlies.) But even then, I'm trying to win.

If people aren't playing their best, how am I suppose to compare? I'll hardly ever meet any of you in a tournament set, and a money match of an amount big enough to "motivate" someone would just be thrown away.

Like right now, I'm super :confused: over whether beating Ozz's Marth the other day was legit or not.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Leaf, you legitly beat ozz's marth in a friendly. But the way people play in tournament is usually different than in friendlies. You let certain things slide more, maybe more aggressive.

You might have been playing your best cause you really wanted to win those friendlies, but ozz could have not cared as much might have just wanted to try some things out ( or he could have truely been trying.. never know)

But in tournament, that added pressure and true reason to win makes people play better.

Good example is my match against poltergust. After I killed myself at 0%.. in a friendly I would have just been like bleh, oh well and 95 % chance I would have lost that game. But since I made that mistake in tournament, I still put in all the effort possible to win, cause there was an actual reason for me to win, and I did.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ozz was trying/caring or else he would not have sat down to play you or even bothered coming to the tournament or even enter the events. Period

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I hate this stupid "I'm not trying because its friendlies" ****.

From now on if your going to friendly me try your hardest or seriously don't play me at all.

It's gay.

z00ted

Lol, looks like I won't be playing you.

z00ted

It's one thing to play someone and not try.
It's another thing to play someone, not try then tell, them immediately after that you weren't.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Its also a dumb thing, to beat someone in a friendly, then immediatly after brag and boast about it

Gnes

Smash Master
If u want to play "serious" friendlies with people just ask them beforehand. If u want to play around and just play the game just do that. When me and razer practice we play matches for general practice/fun/whatever, and then at one point we'll play seriously as if it was a tourney set, and we slide back and forward throughout the time of playing.

Friendlies is where u try new stuff out in a semi-competitive environment, hence that u want to win, however its not that important considering you don't really lose anything. Its when u play seriously that u stick with works, and implement the things u've perfected from training/friendlies/etc.

Its not as complicated as some people try to make it seem.
Asking people to play 100% in a friendly is a bit much is what im getting at. Most people's 100% entails playing very defensive/campy and the game will most likely be prone to timing out/close to it. Personally, I'd rather not time out someone in a friendly. Now that *** jerm, thats a different story.

edit:LOL jerm(just read above post), just means ur a top player son. Soon it'll get to the point that people brag on getting u down to 1 stock in friendlies....friendlies...lmao

z00ted

I never brag or boast.
You just said you "**** Peaches"

lol whatever Jerm I don't wanna start any stupid **** over a game cause you're a pretty nice person.

just forget it.

and yeah Gnes thats sorta what I'm getting at.

If I know my opponent isn't supposively putting effor into their matches then what is the point of playing them in the first place? I'm just asking them to at least try.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Ill, you know me. What character will I say I DONT ****? =]

And you prlly heard me say I **** peaches when i met you.. just because I was messing around like I always do. But its not like I dont have the right to say it.. I havnt lost to a peach in bracket since about the end 08.. and that was when I lost in a close set with Gea at sethlons tournament. Other than that, I've never lost to a peach in tournament

TheJerm

Smash Champion
**** Gness, brag about getting you down to one stock lmao. I'd prlly quit friendlies when it comes to that. They should just take all 3 stocks like I do =]

Sync.

Smash Champion
From the view of an average player, you always try your best to get experience and get recognition. I have always given my 100% to matches(unless we're playing Pokemon Master with Pokemon Trela haha). When I get to Jerm's level though, I'll have the option of being serious or being dumb :p

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Im not on some crazy other level people.. I dont even make money at tournaments lol

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yeah but you're in the upper echelon of HOUSTON which makes you too pro.
Well my point anyway is that people like me don't quite meausre up yet...

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Like I told you before, get that out of your head. Understand how good someone is, but remain confident and do your best.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yeah I suppose you're right. I think a change of mindset would really help me going into matches though. I'm not emo going into matches, but I usually go in with small hopes of winning.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Like I told you before, get that out of your head. Understand how good someone is, but remain confident and do your best.
This.

You should go into every match with the confidence that you can win. If you're going up against someone you know's very skilled, recognize that, but it's important to not put them on a higher pedestal than you.

z00ted

What time did your last one start at Sync?

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Don't Matta shrimp platta batta batta catching a rattata cause when this one starts it's your end

=]

Smoom77

Smash Master
Pressure makes the game fun.. without it .. I get the urge to just mess around lol
oh and i was reading back at the arguement.

Even though this john has been going on forever doesn't mean we don't mean it. I agree with Jerm. I do try harder when money's on the line, but I don't say I DON'T try in friendlies. But not with the same campy, desperate feeling.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
3 should be fine...we're only doing one event, so...unless there aren't enough TVs...in other words, BRING TVs.

I'll have laptop for vids and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom