• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tag Mode for SSB4?

Do you think Tag Mode would be a good addition to SSB4?

• Total voters

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
What do you think fellow smash people, could the standard fighting game mode "tag battle" be something for smash? Since smash is a highly original game in the fighting genre you could even make special rules and stuff to go with its tag mode.

An idea I just got while making this thread was that the character you have on "the bench" could be regeneraiting over time. Max half of his/hers % (only from latest swap, if you swap him in and out again he can only reg half of the new damage taken) and not starting untill after he's been on the bench for like 30 sec. Could make for some interesting trying to kill time plays, where you swap in another character and try to just run around while letting your damaged one regenerate. Every char has one stock each.

Oh, and this ^ above is just a big side note. Main point of thred: Tag Mode, could it be something for Smash? Personally it's the only mode I can think of that I think could be interesting. Except for king of the hill, oh lord I want a king of the hill mode. Pls Saku -_-

ps: I hate coin battle. Does ANYONE actually like that or even play it?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually posted a Tag Mode idea on an older thread suggesting King of the Hill.

I'd like for both a Tag and King of the Hill mode.

The former is unlikely though, given the amount of attacks every character has.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I actually posted a Tag Mode idea on an older thread suggesting King of the Hill.

I'd like for both a Tag and King of the Hill mode.

The former is unlikely though, given the amount of attacks every character has.

Yeah I remember seeing that thread but couldn't find it now. How was that thread rescieevd, is there many people who agree we need a king of the hill mode or are we a small minority that will probably be ignored? =(

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah I remember seeing that thread but couldn't find it now. How was that thread rescieevd, is there many people who agree we need a king of the hill mode or are we a small minority that will probably be ignored? =(
I wish I knew, but I don't. I might try asking that on the social SSB4 discussion soon.
It's been quite sometime since I last saw the thread, so I forgot what people said about it and how many people posted their opinion.

Rodriguez5

Smash Cadet
I like the idea and I wouldn't really be a bother for those who don't want it. How would people get tagged in? Maby a system like in MK double dash but what if you partner is a A-hole?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Would be a interesting addition i would like a single elimination mode too. I don't how they would tag and how would the damage work too would be nice of certain characters had some interactions with each other like mario bros and ect.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
That sounds like a great addition to add a more variety of game play types, but I don't see how they could add in a function of the game where one character would disappear away from battle in the place of another. Or maybe something like, where the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl stands, thats where characters who are on the "bench" could be switching in and out.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
That sounds like a great addition to add a more variety of game play types, but I don't see how they could add in a function of the game where one character would disappear away from battle in the place of another. Or maybe something like, where the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl stands, thats where characters who are on the "bench" could be switching in and out.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
What if you could even switch between characters like, very fast?! Could make combos involving character switches in the middle of them O_O

Good point about how swaps would be done, could be hard to make them seem natural. Its easy in a 2d fighter where they can just jump in and out of the screen but smash is so different. But yeah, if mode would be good thats up to Sakurai. So get on it Saku!

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I really like this idea! However, I think you should limit how you'd be able to do it and especially how often. Smash is much more dependent on space than other fighting games (if you are well under final destination and out of jumps, you are as good as dead,) so they shouldn't let you switch at any time to just save your life.

By the way I think you guys forgot about Zelda/Sheik. This is exactly a tag team. The only difference you'd make is have them have different levels of percentage.

I wouldn't mind if it was similar to how Zelda changes back and forth to Sheik but with a little bit more lag. I think that's a natural looking transformation. You don't even see her change. You basically her dissapear into a portal and sheik jumps out. Maybe have certain spots in the stage where you can stand to change.

Edit: Oh when you guys want a tag team you want to be able to use both their moves at the same time. yeah not sure how that would work.

Morbi

Scavenger
I play coin match... :sadeyes:

Anyways... tag mode would be nice just because I am so used to it. SSB isn't necessarily your standard fighting game though.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
A game mode where you pick 3 characters cycle through them when you respawn could be cool. It would be similar to other tag-team stuff, but not interfere with the basic Smash formula.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I think a tag mode would be pretty fun. I haven't played it since I was a kid. Maybe tagging someone could stick a giant bomb on them and it would explode after a configurable amount of time.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
It's easily possible, you just have entry and exit animations just the beginning of barwl matches.

otter

Smash Ace
I am not sure why you would want to do this. Doubles mode is sooo perfect.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Isn't kill of the hill mode.... the entire game?
Oh, In my mind king of the hill would be something about one platform of the stage you use, being the "main platform". The game is on time and whoever has spent most time on that platform when the time is out wins. Or that you have to knock the one who got there first off to get the "king" and you only get time score when you are the "king".

I don't know, haven't thought of it that much. Maybe others have a completly different view of what a king of the hill mode would be.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Tagging with a friend Vs two other ppl would be sick.

And this is Namco - it might happen.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only concern is the 3DS version wouldn't have this feature.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
What if you could even switch between characters like, very fast?! Could make combos involving character switches in the middle of them O_O

Good point about how swaps would be done, could be hard to make them seem natural. Its easy in a 2d fighter where they can just jump in and out of the screen but smash is so different. But yeah, if mode would be good thats up to Sakurai. So get on it Saku!
I literally had this exact same idea(including the original post), but I got zero feedback on it. I guess I can just look at the responses in this thread...
Also, I'd have it so that you can only swap on the ground so that you couldn't abuse another character's recovery options, and to give players more incentive to be on the ground.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I was actually hoping Brawl would have something like this, back when the game was still in development. There were two things I thought of: Tag Team Brawl and Stock Team Brawl.

Tag Team Brawl would be a 2 vs 2 tag team battle. You could choose to either control both characters on your team, or cooperate with another player. In the battle stage, there would be two doors: A red door (for Team 1) and a blue door (for Team 2). If it is a large stage like Temple or New Pork city, there will be four doors, two of each colour. Of course, the doors would be far apart from each other. To switch between characters, the players would have to enter these doors the same way they enter doors in the Subspace Emissary. When the characters switch, the new character will have invincibility frames upon entering the match. However, to prevent players from abusing this, there would be a thirty-second interval in which the player(s) would not be able to switch again. Both characters share a different damage meter; however, their damage percentage will stay the same, even when they switch. Each character would have a set number of lives. Once that character's lives are depleted, he/she is out of the match, unless he/she borrows a life from his/her team member. Or, if it is a time match, the team with the most kills wins.

In Stock Team Brawl, two players choose up to five different characters. In the match, when one player is KO'ed, the next character on his/her list is used, and so on. Once all of his/her characters are KO'ed, he/she loses the match. Pretty much the same as a regular stock match, except the players can use different characters.

(Shrugs) Maybe not the best ideas, but they could possibly make an interesting addition to the series.

ps: I hate coin battle. Does ANYONE actually like that or even play it?
I actually love Coin Battle. It was the mode I played the most back during the Melee days. I sincerely hope it returns in Smash 4.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I literally had this exact same idea(including the original post), but I got zero feedback on it. I guess I can just look at the responses in this thread...
Also, I'd have it so that you can only swap on the ground so that you couldn't abuse another character's recovery options, and to give players more incentive to be on the ground.

Promise I didnt steal it mate! Im pretty new as a regular visitor here so most have missed it, would have joined in on it if I did. But hey, great minds think alike I guess =)

Good point on when swaps would be allowed. Standing still (or the swap just forcsing stop as long as you are on ground and have control of your character) on the ground should probably be required!

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Promise I didnt steal it mate! Im pretty new as a regular visitor here so most have missed it, would have joined in on it if I did. But hey, great minds think alike I guess =)

Good point on when swaps would be allowed. Standing still (or the swap just forcsing stop as long as you are on ground and have control of your character) on the ground should probably be required!
Well I'm not concerned about whose idea it was, I would just like it if it happened!
Also, when I said "on the ground", I was thinking that you could cancel ground attacks into a tag so you could combo, and I see that you posted that idea as well. It's a good one, and it would open up a LOT of new gameplay. I can imagine the competitive community sinking their teeth into this idea.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Not a bad idea. Could work like a Zelda Sheik kind of thing. However, the regenerating health could be a bit much unless the game is more offensive than Smash.

What I'd personally prefer is a mode where you could pick multiple characters. For example, in a three stock match, you could pick Mario, Pit, and Bowser, each of which would be given a life in that order. I think it'd be fun.

FiDeL

Smash Rookie
it would be cool, but i'm agree with Mr.bigstuff and Tien2500. I already had the wish that they put this mode in brawl, a multicharacters mode. you choose the number of stock, for exemple 4, so instead of having four times the same character for each life, its a different one each time you die. so it dosen't change the smash classic gameplay a lot, but it makes a possiblity of being eight friends and fighting in 1v1 but four in each team, and when one fighter dies, he pass is controller to is teammates during the invincibility times...it would be awesome...like the mode of mulicharacters in soul calibur but i think it' better with no recovery at all!

"Deko"

Smash Rookie
Maybe short combos will keep the battles from getting repetitive.
I can imagine a 3 hits combo, then a fast character switch and a short combo ending with a 'Meteor Smash'.
Switch characters in Street Fighter X Tekken:
Tag battles would be awesome!

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I think this is a really good idea!

I think it could be cool if you could change the number of characters you could use in the match and whenever one of them gets knocked out you switch to the other one.

Just imagine how fun it would be to play with your top 5 favorite character in 1 match.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Tag Mode would be an awesome mode that would work quite well! I'd imagine when you switch characters, a brief flash of light appears.

Never thought of having separate damage though. That might make for some interesting strategy and synergy.

"Deko"

Smash Rookie
... and whenever one of them gets knocked out you switch to the other one.
It's easily possible, but it is not cool. And, yes, it would be great to play with your top favorite characters in 1 match.

... I'd imagine when you switch characters, a brief flash of light appears.
I can't imagine that. Can you post some reference?

I'd personally prefer Tag mode for flashy combos, like in StreetFighterXTekken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVJ5TO09wI&t=00m44s

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I didn't use a fighting game as reference for that concept. It's nothing special really. If you want the closest thing to relate it to, think Zelda/Sheik transformation, only switching immediately on execution.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I thought I'd resurrect this thread, because it occurred to me that we so far haven't seen any evidence of tag characters existing in the game. No Pokemon Trainer, possibly de-Sheiked Zelda, no sign of ZSS.

Could the reason for this be that a tag system is being implemented, and those characters would conflict with that mechanic too much?

I'm calling it.

PREDICTION SUBMITTED.

Top Bottom