• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Tentative: MBR Official Ruleset for 2012

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, it will never become the official ruleset for every tournament. But I am also kind of curious. When will this ruleset go from "tentative" to... settled?

Or are we going to talk about banning Pokémon Stadium first?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Pokemon Stadium shouldn't be legal, it breaks the small stage = near blastzone(s) / vice versa paradigm of the other currently tournament - legal stages.
But what do I know, I'm just a biased Peach main, and detest the stage against spacies, and will happily admit that it's rather fine in most matchups (and don't see anything banworthy about a stage that's good for some characters (and nowhere near "too good")) :D

Varist

Smash Lord
beat how can you play marth and not want fd, do you not like the beauty in being the only character able to **** the S tier so hard?

Beat!

Smash Master
I said "pretty okay". FD is another "I'm fine either way" stage for me.

And I think Marth does perfectly fine vs S tiers on the other stages. I think he's 2nd best in the game, after all. If I thought he needed FD to manage, I wouldn't play him.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
PS has randomness, so it should be banned.

FoD has randomness, so it should be banned.

The tree on DL64 is trying to blow people. This is inappropriate, and the stage should therefore be banned.

YS has a cloud that no one likes, so it should be banned.

FD looks like a flying saucer. This means anyone who plays on the stage will get nightmares about being abducted. I'm sure the MBR is against nightmares, so this stage should be banned.

BF's edges kill people. This makes everyone mad, so BF should be banned.

Done. Now our ruleset is Big Blue only.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
PS has strange blast lines, as well as buggy effects while transforming, and once transformed it is a giant gimmick. Also, it is the only CP, which is ridiculous. Why have only one CP, and what a coincidence it supports the best (and most commonly played) characters, the spacies. The MBR list should not have CPs only biased toward spacies, by either having no CPs, or CPs for a variety of characters. Spacies don't need help being good.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There are a few stages in the "neutral" 5 that could be switched with PS to make an (arguably) more fair ruleset. For example, HK6 in Europe switched FD with PS.

The reason PS is a counter pick is simply because striking is unfair without an odd number of stages.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Alternatively we could just practice 1v1 techskill on the character selection screen, the stage selection could be used as a counter pick for the lower tiered controllers.
But then we need official judges and timers, and official rules by which to judge techskill. And once we've got that, we might as well learn how to ice skate because our judges, timers, and rules would be perfect for that sport.

MaxThunder

PM Support
For Best of 7 sets, DSRM is enabled for the 7th match, but the winner of the 6th match is allowed one stage ban, to be used after the 6th match is played.
uh... how could it be used before the 6th match has been played?..

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
TBH removing the ban in a bo5 is the best thing that happened to me as far as learning MUs across all stages goes - I feel it really helped me level up as a player.

I can't ban FD anymore vs Falco and ICs so I just gotta learn the nuances. Same with FoD Puff and some other traditional character CPs.

From a competitor's standpoint I guess not having a ban sucks but I feel it encourages you to come up with unorthodox strats and such to help overcome the stage advantage which is fine and I think something to be promoted. Creative solutions make the game evolve. Stage bans (avoiding a level for a specific obstacle) promote stagnant play IMO. When something doesn't work, get rid of the level? Lame...

Then again I don't main Fox or Falco; I can see how the inability to ban FD would be a big deal. Being CGed to death four times is lame (although TBH I don't think many CGs go legit 0-death guaranteed on him either). Falcon having to play FoD is also lol but S2J usually does well vs me there so I think people just need to use more of his tricks and FoD stops being such a problem. Maybe he feels differently though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah I agree, I feel like stage bans just let players stay bad at what they're bad at while still performing well. At our current stagelist, nothing deviates too far from the norm for it to really matter anyway.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's one match, they can't get rid of FoD or FD, and in exchange there's no more Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, or Pokefloats.

You should be screaming for joy at this.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Cactuar it's hard for us to maintain a front of legitimacy when you come in here in the middle of a discussion just to spoil trade secrets >_>

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Why don't we just leave the ruleset

Unless stage hacking a la Melee online with standardized patches becomes a thing I seriously don't see this getting better for competitive play

I think we've reached a good balance overall

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
TBH removing the ban in a bo5 is the best thing that happened to me as far as learning MUs across all stages goes - I feel it really helped me level up as a player.

I can't ban FD anymore vs Falco and ICs so I just gotta learn the nuances. Same with FoD Puff and some other traditional character CPs.

From a competitor's standpoint I guess not having a ban sucks but I feel it encourages you to come up with unorthodox strats and such to help overcome the stage advantage which is fine and I think something to be promoted. Creative solutions make the game evolve. Stage bans (avoiding a level for a specific obstacle) promote stagnant play IMO. When something doesn't work, get rid of the level? Lame...

Then again I don't main Fox or Falco; I can see how the inability to ban FD would be a big deal. Being CGed to death four times is lame (although TBH I don't think many CGs go legit 0-death guaranteed on him either). Falcon having to play FoD is also lol but S2J usually does well vs me there so I think people just need to use more of his tricks and FoD stops being such a problem. Maybe he feels differently though.
Your first point is super good. I thought one day before this no ban bo5 thing happened that I should be good on all stages in all matchups just in case, so I went and practiced them a lot with Twitch/thought at why I sucked on them and it made my life infinitely better.

Being CG'd blows but honestly no johns learn to keep warm and not get phased. Fearing the CG or any of its side effects just empowers it more than it needs to be.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's just like a softer version of learning tough character vs character MUs

You have to get resourceful and deal with the BS

This builds a variety of skills you don't really need in other MUs and helps you as a player

Blah blah blah

Play Falco vs me in some friendlies at ROM since I'm probably gonna get Mango or HBox in WSF since it is tradition

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't recall asking you to play Puff. Although I'd honestly be interested to see what your Puff would look like if you practiced her seriously vs whatever mix of people you feel would be most conducive for rapid improvement for like a week or so. You have some cool ideas with her. I'm not sure I agree with how significant you seem to think they are but who knows. After all, you're Dr. Peepee. And innocuous things tend to wind up being important in this game...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I was working hard on puff for a while but then Twitch got too mad at what I was doing <.<

I may try again sometime haha Puff can be pretty awesome

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Puff can be cool

It's just easier not to be

But having 1 frame OHKO and lots of mobility in some way opens up a lot of doors for cool things IMHO

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
OTP indeed

I really am lookin forward to playin you haha you need to beat some dudes(not me) melee needs you dawg

I wish I cared about stages but I still don't.....that neutral start rule is pretty awesome but no one ever uses it afaik except that time at IMPULSE where I used it vs Mango. Smash has a lot of strange rules....

Top Bottom