• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THC 5: TAJ Has Cash

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
you could ride with a carpool instead of dropping 40 on the greyhound

the bronze kneecap will MM you $2 to assist in travel fees

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
you could ride with a carpool instead of dropping 40 on the greyhound

the bronze kneecap will MM you $2 to assist in travel fees
I may not have enough money to even pay gas /eat food/enter, let alone money match.

Alternatively, of the person I carpool can wait a week for me to pay, I can pay them no problem.

:phone:

oksas

oak-sauce
isn't the point of hosting tournaments to foster community growth etc etc? especially when some of these are all on a pretty small scale (especially the last one), it doesn't make sense to me to have us driving a few hours away (especially for the Flagstaff crew), paying for gas, and then have everyone pay an entry fee (slash Taj and Wobbles fee) just to participate.

it makes more sense when there's a big venue involved and there are fees that need paying, but when the tourneys are just a somewhat smaller group of players, hosted for free at someone's house or at a public university tv lounge, i don't see how it really benefits anyone to make us all give our money away to the same top 3 players every time. i admire the fact that so many new players have been willing to come to the ~30 person tucson tournaments and essentially knowingly throw away $5-10, but for the sake of playing a few matches it hardly seems necessary.

on that note, xander, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay so much for a ticket to phoenix though i'm not entirely aware of your circumstances. if $15 is really all that's keeping you from going to a tournament, then it should really be in the best interest of everyone else to ensure that you, along with anyone else possible, can come. so in such a case if that's what's stopping you then i would gladly cover you, and i'm willing to bet someone else would say the same.

Corigames

Smash Hero
A $5 tournament is incredibly cheap, which is why we do that since they have been so small.
If you're willing to spend X money on gas and drive for Y hours to get to someone's tiny house tournament, does it really kill you to throw down $5 on singles? I never have money, but always seem to scrounge up enough for gas, food, and buy-ins.

Also, I'm getting closer and closer to the pay-out section of the results. I don't want to stop chipping in now when getting that dough for myself is just in reach.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Kyle and Rob live HELLLLLLLA far from me. Also, I pay that much so I can hang out with Cori. :D

But yeah, if I can pay ~$5 for gas, then I'm down to carpool with Kyle/Rob, if they don't mind helping me with in-town transportation.

Also, think about it like this. For $5-10 you get to play against the best of Arizona, and you have the rest of the day to smash with the other ~30 players. That's an ALL DAY EVENT. You'd be spending far more if you went to lunch with friends, saw a movie, or went to a club/bar.

@Cori: It took me from 07-2012 just to get third place at an 11-man tournament. <_<;;;;

Corigames

Smash Hero
I got back into competitive smash in ~Sept last year.
I got 11th, n/a, then 9th, another 9th, then 6th over the past 5 tournies using only Samus. My improvement is unstoppable.
Don't limit me because of your short-comings. I raise up my arm canon and draw in the sun; my missiles are the ones that will pierce the heavens and on into tomorrow!

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
@Cori: It took me from 07-2012 just to get third place at an 11-man tournament. <_<;;;;
That doesn't work on the small scale though.

I'm way better than I was in the 05-07 era, in which I was getting 1st-2nd at larger tournaments than these. Relative skill increase (while hard to measure) is far more important than our ordinal scale of placement in results. The top 15-20 in AZ are far better than the top 15-20 from 07, even though the top players are mostly still able to be dominant. Sean is a good example, he could still get better, but he hasn't been playing/keeping up, so now players that aren't Tony or Rob are able to beat him (Their own skill changes aside)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
placings are like, one of the worst things you can use to judge improvement because they hinge way too much on who does and doesn't show up and not enough on how well you're actually doing

for example, my tournament placings have improved greatly over the past year or so just because tony stopped entering, jeff started working at walgreens, sean quit, GG7 quit (although i think i'd actually beat him now, but that's a different story entirely), and the only person i really overcame was like, jetfour. and i guess okami cuz he used to **** me.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'd argue that the gap between our respective skill levels is progressively getting larger, too. You're becoming more difficult to fight against, rather than our skill scaling at about the same pace, and your victories by larger margins.

On the other hand, Kyle, and Okami are getting progressively easier for me to fight against. :D

Coty has magical make Ruby play badly powers. <_<

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
so does okami

also, to xander:

i may be getting harder to fight. the thing is, that isn't reflected in results despite something actually being there.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I really hate how people I want to legit overcome are being *****es and quitting. I know I'm getting better, but it still bugs me that the only reason my placings are getting progressively better is because the old greats are quitting. :\

Corigames

Smash Hero
All of us do, but I'm sure being competitive for a long time is tiring, especially when you've been to the mountain top.
I can't change my competitors, I can't change who puts their money down and who picks their controller up. All I can do is enter when I can, play my best, and see how I do. If I get first, I deserved it. It's not diluted by the fact that someone better than me didn't show up.
I also know that I'm getting better as a player. Instead of just outright losing, I'm now losing to people forced to exploit lame tactics against me. I fall for it, because I haven't had to deal with it. Now that I am, it will take a little while to overcome but I will. I will.
There is nothing written in stone about me not beating Tai, I feel more confident each time we play. There is no reason why I can't beat AZ, not to mention the rest of the world's, Sheik players, I just need to play them more. Peach is a problem, but I'm getting more ground. My player and character matchups are becoming more comfortable, and I don't see me fading from it.
Maybe placings don't give me the best information about how I am improving over all, but it does tell me how well I placed at that tournament with those people. I can look at the matches I lost and learn from those mistakes, highlighting things I need to work on and what things I've gotten control of.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
well, in that case, can't you just gauge your improvement based on how you actually perform against certain people, what you're learning about the game from day to day, and stuff like that? i don't see the point in gauging improvement by placings alone when other meter sticks are so much better

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Since this is my birthday weekend and I have grown-up plans... we need to wrap this up around 8:30 -9:00 pm. If Rob isn't completely trashed by then, you guys might be able to stay longer though. :D

Everyone who's interested, I'm going to fulfill the prophecy by going to Waffle House, then going to Christie's. It's pretty much going to be the best day ever.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Don't we have to wrap up earlier, then?

All-you-can-eat at Waffle House ends at like.... 9.... and they WILL stop serving you after 9.

And the food takes a while to bring out sometimes.... so honestly we should try to finish the tournament at 7 and leave right after that.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I am down with whatever as long as there's Melee and a chance to kick your guys' *****. The rest is fluff.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
We don't HAVE to wrap up earlier, I don't necessarily need to do the all you can eat. It would just be nice. If everyone's having a good time, I'm ok with waiting a bit. Casey just booked the VIP room at Christie's so that's basically what I'm planning around. ;)

SSBMstuff

Smash Cadet
I'm planning on going to this. How many other frivolous acronyms can we come up with for THC, I wonder? :p

Trypt

Smash Cadet
Ohai guise, so this is an open tournament, so even us bad players can attend? :D

Top Bottom