• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Alabama Power Rankings: Image=protier

Status
Not open for further replies.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think it might depend on which chaingrab you do. saint does his chaingrabs different then others. or maybe that's the way everyones doing it now, i dont really keep up.

also, the shape of the grabbable hurtbox probably matters too.

edit. yah posted at same time

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
i think it might depend on which chaingrab you do. saint does his chaingrabs different then others. or maybe that's the way everyones doing it now, i dont really keep up.

also, the shape of the grabbable hurtbox probably matters too.

edit. yah posted at same time
Someone noticed I chaingrab heavies weird. :D

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh that explains it. i dont know much about frame data. or much about brawl for that matter. this past tourney really motivated me to get my knowledge up and get better for real.

cuz i just felt dumb lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont know **** about frame data. i'm usually a theory craft person in almost everything, but in smash, i just get in there and figure it out. like don't tell me "shield comes up in two frames and drops in 5 frames and you have 13 frames to buffer in f-tilt before MK can d-tilt for the second time.
that means nothing to me lol
just say YOU CAN'T PUNISH D-TILT YO

thats how i learn in this game lol

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
PokemonMasterJamal3, lurking in my thread. :o
Wait....YOUR thread?

My name is clearly the one in the first thread. You just happen to be king of it.

I'm lost on Frame data too. For some reason I just don't think I need to know it. :I Watch it end up being a super important part needed in gameplay though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's helpful, knowing how much cooldown certain moves have and stuff. Not super-important, but it -is- useful.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Useful as in
A: Keeping a spare in the trunk of your car
or
B: Using a butter knife as opposed to a spoon for spreading peanut butter?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As far as the universal "rules" go, they're nice as a reference point; seven frames to drop your shield, for instance.

Frame data is more useful when you apply it to multiple characters as a result; I suppose if you're just focused on learning one character, it isn't so important, as there's a lot less to think about, but counting frames is often how you find new tactics that just barely work as far as timing goes.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Ah...yeah I really just plan on using Marth. As far as what data I do know it would be just shield, my fair, dolphin slash, and downsmash frames.

I just don't think I'd be able to count, attempt to read an opponent, and keep my character from following a pattern at the same time.
(Then again if I did make the effort to put in something else to think about, it would keep me from going mainstream)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah im not reffering to frame data specifically as much as im just saying i want to learn more about brawl ie. what punishes what, how to approach better, and not, and bait better. but frame data would be cool if im like super bored one day i guess.

and lol @ counting frames, following a pattern, and reading an opponent at the same time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
"Counting frames" is what you do outside of a match, which is an easy way to tell whether or not something is punishable, avoidable, etc. It's not something you actively think about during a match. It's just a simple way to see whether or not an option is plausible or not.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It's making a bit of sense now...like a pregame plan right?

If you get your head together and do the thoughts like
"Okay this character has a # frame down tilt.....so with these #frame moves I could punish it"

Although this is where the whole spot dodge, shield and shield drop frames come in. My god math never stops haha. xD but thats the beauty of such a fun subject.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Im really embarassed how i played against most of you guys(spacing is the key!) but all of yall were fun to see(some of yall again)

Kola your marth is very good man. not gonna lie though i Effed up alot gimps with d3 against him ha but yeah GGS.

Nothing to say to Janitor besides i shoulda ftilted more and F*** snakes wierd *** down air. maybe i coulda lived it if i SDIed?

Hopefully i will put up more of a fight cause i do feel i am little better than i placed.

lol Ryker is the F** man just wish he would up the results thread already

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah apparently snake's dair is hard to SDI. i just throw it out when it looks good. snakes don't use it enough, its kind of a beast move. (kind of like all of snakes moves. i've been using a lot of snakes "rarely used" moves like dtilt and dair and f-smash). but yeah it did seem like you died a bit early on that last match. i think a grenade was involved too tho, right?

brawl is much more a game of matchups than I originally thought. people who win are people who know the matchups. the characters are so uniquely gay in brawl, you have learn it all haha.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Kola your marth is very good man. not gonna lie though i Effed up alot gimps with d3 against him ha but yeah GGS.
I missed a lot of my favorite footstool to spikes gimping ;D

Great friendlies regardless, I'm sure you'd be down for more at the next tournament we meet at, right?

yeah apparently snake's dair is hard to SDI. i just throw it out when it looks good. snakes don't use it enough, its kind of a beast move. (kind of like all of snakes moves. i've been using a lot of snakes "rarely used" moves like dtilt and dair and f-smash). but yeah it did seem like you died a bit early on that last match. i think a grenade was involved too tho, right?

brawl is much more a game of matchups than I originally thought. people who win are people who know the matchups. the characters are so uniquely gay in brawl, you have learn it all haha.
Temper Tantrum!

I think learning the matchup in Melee helps just as much as it does in Brawl though, especially in higher levels of play lol.

But eh I guess you could say it about Brawl, how else would Ness and Sonics place so high in tournaments? ;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thing is, when your character is on the ground, you can't SDI in any direction that includes down, which makes some SDI inputs not work.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
the last hit of snakes dair is always the only one that hits if you shield.
if you SDI it, you SDI out of all of the hits then get sent back into it, to get hit by the last one...

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
well damn..ha besides that dair i didnt like snake d3 on lylat.i just hate lylat and the only reason i didnt ban it is because i though everyone hated lylat.lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i only like neutrals in brawl. and i need platforms to fight DDD, and i already won on battlefield. so it was the only option haha. i could have went yoshi's but that platform is kind of lame. but i think lylat is probably the best stage to fight DDD on.

also ive realized that lylat is a pretty excellent stage for snake, and also that everyone hates it so it works in my favor. I don't really like it either, but its not the worst. i actually CP'd lylat a couple times at the tournament. it throws people off, theyre like 'really?!"

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont know anything about high level melee. im sure the matchups are a big part of it. but in middle-low level melee tho, for example i play mostly space animals now, and i pretty much play the same against every character except peach and jiggs lol and it gets me by

in brawl, even when i'm playing complete scrubs i have to change up my gameplay for every character

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Oh the data needed looks as if it will be available this upcoming weekend, and it's going to be so nice~ I'm going to bring a bit of extra change for MMs oh yeah.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I didn't realize there was so much life still in the AL tournament scene. Maybe there's still hope for us? I would say that's grounds for changing it to top ten, but with Zero in NC and Elev8 wanting to be taken off, it seems iffy. Still, considering how many Alabama players are going to the Bham tournament next week, I wouldn't be opposed to a top ten. With Zero and presumably Elev8 going off, I expect to see some fresh new faces on there in a few weeks. Maybe M3T or Aloha? I think Janitor was doing well too, especially in crews.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I have a top 10 without both of them planned already (JIC)

I'm putting Elev8 in the next update regardless, he is going to the Bham tournament after all.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm using the remainder of the points before the "fake update" and probably going to use the current results (last week and the one this weekend) with panel like decisions. I'm just really trying to get Will back on this lmao

Top 10 is happening, not top 8 anymore. :p You can count on this.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm using the remainder of the points before the "fake update" and probably going to use the current results (last week and the one this weekend) with panel like decisions. I'm just really trying to get Will back on this lmao

Top 10 is happening, not top 8 anymore. :p You can count on this.
Fake update?

Lol, Will. Will isn't even active, is he?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
yar the one we did like...last month. xD

:I no....not really. If he shows up to the one this weekend it'd be enough to say he's tried. But if not, we've still got a hand full of people to pick from to fill some spots.

M3T, Twinster, Aloha. A few others I don't feel like naming, but my list right now looks pretty fair.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
yar the one we did like...last month. xD

:I no....not really. If he shows up to the one this weekend it'd be enough to say he's tried. But if not, we've still got a hand full of people to pick from to fill some spots.

M3T, Twinster, Aloha. A few others I don't feel like naming, but my list right now looks pretty fair.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of those handful of people are getting much more skilled at this game. I admit that I didn't think M3T was going to fare well against Saint, but he actually took a match off of him in the tournament. I was really impressed.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Yeah, I feel like a lot of those handful of people are getting much more skilled at this game. I admit that I didn't think M3T was going to fare well against Saint, but he actually took a match off of him in the tournament. I was really impressed.
He had me figured out.
Camp platform, separate with G&W's up-b.
I was on autopilot, so I kept falling for it, but it was a perfectly sound strategy.
I'd say he's on Kola's level.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
I'm putting Elev8 in the next update regardless, he is going to the Bham tournament after all.
awwweee shucks :embarrass::embarrass::embarrass:
I don't know. My lady friend bought a house and is signing the papers for it tomorrow, so my tournament attendance is really going to start taking a hit; Like for real this time :awesome:

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
He had me figured out.
I was on autopilot, so I kept falling for it, but it was a perfectly sound strategy.
i don't know. I think G&W camping on the platform would work to your advantage. You can easily wrack up that damage with up air (since it beats key), but i don't know, i don't think i've ever played M3T with my Ics before...

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
i don't know. I think G&W camping on the platform would work to your advantage. You can easily wrack up that damage with up air (since it beats key), but i don't know, i don't think i've ever played M3T with my Ics before...
I thought so too, but any time I'd u-air him, it wouldn't be an even exchange.
Either he'd shield it and up-b OOS, thus throwing me into the air with him, or he'd just take the hit and up-b.

Honestly, my win was a fluke. xD He had just separated me with a f-smash and in the resulting harangue, he accidentally SD'd.

Balls.
I was staging a comeback though.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
He had me figured out.
He had a handle on the matchup, but I don't know if I would say he's on Kola's level. He might be I guess, but Kola is one of the most adaptable players I've ever met. Brannon has gotten a lot better since he left Auburn (we went to school together last year), so maybe I'm misjudging how good he's gotten.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
He had a handle on the matchup, but I don't know if I would say he's on Kola's level. He might be I guess, but Kola is one of the most adaptable players I've ever met. Brannon has gotten a lot better since he left Auburn (we went to school together last year), so maybe I'm misjudging how good he's gotten.
M3T went from me 2 and 3 stocking him in friendlies to basically beating me.
Now, if NOTHING else, that shows adaptability.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how to argue my point here without being unnecessarily mean to somebody, so I won't even try. They are both great players, and we'll see where the cards fall after the Bham tournament.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol yeah, I was quite impressed myself. His sd on the last stock against Saint was a bit depressing but it was a pretty interesting watch.

He had me figured out.
It was a sound strat for someone repeatedly using the same approach. I noticed you came in from the same direction that entire last match.

awwweee shucks :embarrass::embarrass::embarrass:
I don't know. My lady friend bought a house and is signing the papers for it tomorrow, so my tournament attendance is really going to start taking a hit; Like for real this time :awesome:
It may take a hit, yeah but I'm sure this doesn't mean you'll be quitting completely. Not to mention you could pay the bills with the money you COULD win from these. :awesome:

Am I really? I wasn't aware my adaptability was that good lol.

As for him being on my same level. Well I can't use my 2-0 against him, he didn't know the matchup and caused him to get 2 stocked first match.

If I could see how he did against other people and compared them to mine, then I could give input on whether or not he's on my level.

It's a nice change, I don't even think after all of the friendlies we had that I could play the matchup to win it. I've still got a bit more things to try

soooooo exciting!!!
inorite?

Let's hype this tournament up some more guys.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
He had me figured out.
but you play ic's though. you cant really be a fair judge of people's skill. lol met did good against you cuz he has an up b lol

you 3 stocked me. but all you did was rush in a grab me three times. and i wasnt ready for it.
all you did was run back and forth and until you coudl grab me and i decided not to play patient cuz i thought that would be easily beatable. i just dont think that means that im a bad player who gets 3 stocked by people cositantly. so thats basically why i dont think ic's players can be a good judge of other people's skill if they only play ic's.
its like. i dont think you realizes you have a 0 to death and what that really means dude.

also, i think that kola is on a whole different level of play than met though. but like cam said, thats all i can say without sounding mean about it. its really not meant to be mean though and neither is the previous part of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom