• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Basic Brawl Friend Finder [It's like a diary of replays!]

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm in Okla. so i'm assuming the game treats it as the southern region. Of course I think if it doesnt' always find someone in your region it will go for other regions as i have faced folks here who weren't anywhere close to Okla.
w/a is interesting that way, it typically starts with whoever's closest and fans out in a circular pattern from there, at least that's how I understand it. If you happen to snag a player who's on 1000 miles away but you have a great connection it's no surprise, and somehow WFC has gotten better for Brawl but it does help I have 50 mgb internet for the time being...

Thought I'd add that I'm in NY and have faced people from Florida and Texas on Basic. I don't think they do this by region... although I could be wrong.
You're right, it's that region plays into the percent chance you'll meet up with someone nearer you than farther, but in w/a mode you could technically brawl anyone anywhere just like it says. It's not restricted to region, in other words, but it does play into how your Wii searches for opponents.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
hope that rob player was raging after i forced a D/C on him and his buddy.

kept double teaming my mk one match
i left cuz i didn't wanna deal with it.

next match came back into the same group only as my main pit

I slaughtered em all :troll: then proceeded to D/C the whole group

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Shout out to Ike in TB

Good games to the Ike I met in Team Battle earlier this afternoon. Despite being overwhelmed by the combination of my Ganon and Lucas partner, I could tell you could chain grabs and other moves in a way that flowed very well... if uninterrupted. Then I was hoping we'd be paired together in the next match to see how we'd perform together, and we were, but the Lucario brought lag and items with him unfortunately. I don't blame you for leaving when you did; I went shortly afterward.

I hope to run into you again, Ike! I had to go for Thanksgiving anyway, so perhaps we'll meet again....

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Shoutouts to the Sheik/Mario/Ganon/Puff player I played against/with the Ike and Fox on BB today, I was the Dark Sonic with all the spindash tricks and grabs/Red Snake/Red Marth.

I can tell you aren't too bad, overall it's wifi though. You didn't seem particularly technical, but at least had a good feel for the game's basic mechanics.

Gawd that Ike was annoying though, wouldn't let us 1v1 :/

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
ggs with the white DK and yellow mario in BB, you kicked my foxes *** and it was fun fighting you vs my pikachu

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm back on BB now after my internet was out for the past week.

Ran into a stupid Tink who interrupted my manly fight against this Snake with my Falcon. He only won that first match on Corneria because he spammed those freaking pokeballs and other lame items. Next match we went on Corneria again and I bodied him with my Wolf. Ended up being a 3-0 on the predictable Tink.

A went into another room after that where I finally got to battle an experienced PT. Unfortunatly for me, he wasn't quite as good as I originally thought, but he was still really fun. That last match I had with him on Flat Zone 2 was mad garbage though, for everyone else at least :troll:
I ended up with 6 kills, and I only died once, which was my own fault in the very beginning.

Finally I battled this Ike/Samus/Lucas player. He was pretty free first few matches, but either he got replaced when I was doing something else, or he handed off the controller, but he got pretty good once I went PT on him. We had a really good fight on Battlefield with my Falcon against his Ike. I laughed pretty good when he almost died after I kneed him after he taunted at me from killing me with his Final Smash at like 180%. Next match was my Falcon against his Lucas and he made one grave mistake in that match; he picked up a Pitfall. Pitfalls were the only items showing up and he started using them against me. They didn't work too well so I used them on him. I got him almost everytime if I didn't hit one of the other two Peaches that were in there. One of the Peaches used her Final Smash and we all got knocked out. I was asleep on the main platform while Lucas was above me. I woke up before he did and killed him with the knee. Another kill I got was when I had the smashball, I was right in front of him and he kept spotdogging. I just stood there for a good 3 seconds watching then unleashed it. Well as I did, he just started running at me so it hit. I almost got a point in the last second with a "Hyesz!" but the timer ran out. Ended up being 3-0, almost 4-0 if it would have lasted a second longer. I left due to the items getting dumb/ The Peaches were starting to jump in our fight.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Big props to a sonic main I ran into last night in TB. then a lucas showed up and they were both really good. ggs were had by all

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I KO'd an invincible player!

A couple hours ago, a Spamchu under the influence of a star was charging toward me at the ledge. He predictably lunged with forward+B, and I quickly grabbed the ledge. He tried to recover, but failed while I hogged the ledge. Bye bye star power!

I laughed.

I left.

TheBlueFalcon

Smash Cadet
A salute to the amusing Lucas who felt it necessary to taunt in Team Battle at every opportunity, then used the ragequit of justice immediately before receiving a(nother) Falcon Punch at 80%. Moves failed to be shown, yet they were.

- TBF

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Had many fun fights today, lots of funny moments, too many to try to remember them all.

One thing I do remember was watching these two good Marios (Fire and Blue) battle. Fire Mario wanted to fight my Ganon at the time, but the Blue Mario fought him instead. The other player, Samus, jumped in on their fight so I started to fight her. At one point Samus shot a full Charge Shot at the group right as I used an aerial Down-B. I hit Fire Mario and spiked him right into the Charge Shot. It didn't kill but it was funny to see.

A couple matches before, nothing but home ran bats were spawning. The Blue Mario wasn't in but this Sheik was. Anyway, I get sent flying off to my death after having a bat thrown at me. In my last seconds I throw the bat I was holding. It ended up hitting Fire Mario into Samus who was charging up a Home Run Smash. It connected and I laughed pretty hard.

EDIT: Just got out of a room where I swear one of the players was one of my buddies I have friendlies with. There was a great DK/Wario, a Jiggs/Peach who didn't fight too much, and a Fox/Marth who I'm pretty sure was my buddy. At first it was just my Luigi against Fox, no one else in the room. I lost the fight. Then others joined in and we fought a lot. Had some great matches, even though items were stupid as ever. I only won a couple of the matches, one was an SD win with my Luigi against the DK. I used the Tornado, went as far horizontally as I could, and killed him with the last hit. After that I just went Ganon and had a couple funny moments with my up tilt. Our room got DC by lag or I guess since we were in the waiting room when it got DC

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
A salute to the amusing Lucas who felt it necessary to taunt in Team Battle at every opportunity, then used the ragequit of justice immediately before receiving a(nother) Falcon Punch at 80%. Moves failed to be shown, yet they were.

- TBF
(Dark Energy likes this)

^^^^ GYK was the MK player he posted on my YT account. Man isnt he a piece of work:embarrass:

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
he's about as good as the average competitive player.

Edit: so basically nothing special, but still alot better than the garbage you usually see on Basic Brawl.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Pls.

All of you call all these people garbage when everone here is just as free as or more free than these spammers/"n00bs" you find on Basic Brawl.

Basic Brawl is for fun not to find good skillfull players.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Made a PT ragequit over his own mistakes. Everytime I got him to 80% of higher, he would switch Pokemon... when I was right next to him. I showed him no mercy and have him a Falcon Punch everytime. It killed him every time and he still didn't learn after the 3rd time, which was when he left.

Was then in a room for the longest time with this group. I mainly spectated except a few parts where the other players decided to attack me. What really pissed me off was this MK who would keep killing everyone off in SD, then next match would act all innocent. I was too lazy to care, since the other players were already going after him anyway. I got him one round in SD, then one of the other players tried to kill me, but failed. Next match as Falcon, he tried fighting me in the last 30 seconds again. In the last 7 seconds or so, I Falcon Punched him for a KO. The match after that I got him again in SD and left.

I ended up returning to the same room because I picked him out by this crouching thing he does. He crouches twice then turns around and repeats the cycle. He was Pikachu this time I was Wario with us on Summit. SD came around and he got on the bottom area where I was and sent Thunderjolts at me. I simply got on my bike and ran his *** over, while doing his taunt on the bike. The D3 in the room suicided himself, taking the other player with him, leaving me the winner.

But I do hate it when I'm in a taunt party, SD comes around, and sudden people then start fighting. You really can't win in an actual fight? Or do you think we get a laugh from this? I've made a point to show no mercy to players who do this next round if they have the balls to stay, which most don't.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
But I do hate it when I'm in a taunt party, SD comes around, and sudden people then start fighting. You really can't win in an actual fight? Or do you think we get a laugh from this? I've made a point to show no mercy to players who do this next round if they have the balls to stay, which most don't.
I see this quite a bit but usually if they just walk up to me I just smash attack them or grab and KO them. Usually I leave the room since oddly the other players will suddenly gang up on me like if I'm the crasher. Some plank and will attack if they get close.

Definitely true although you can't deny the fact that there are skillful players that join Basic Brawl simply to kill time or find a potent random to give them a decent match. They're out there but of course the majority of them stick offline or play with those on their friend list.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
shout outs to the Fox i kept running into in TB yesterday. I was the Fox that kept Nair'ing more then you. The Zelda that actually spaced Fair/Bair really well and the Marth player who went afk every other round and knew how to space his tippers really well. Had fun learning the Marth mu.

Pls.

All of you call all these people garbage when everone here is just as free as or more free than these spammers/"n00bs" you find on Basic Brawl.

pretty much, competitively I'd call myself decent. But in a heated match I can hold my own relatively well. The trick to playing competitively and staying that way is half of what you said, finding and playing people better then you, aka not in TB/BB

I think the reason many of us go online to these modes is because we feel more comfortable and relaxed playing these modes. 1v1 online vs a good player always gives me nerves

He was Pikachu this time I was Wario with us on Summit. SD came around and he got on the bottom area where I was and sent Thunderjolts at me. I simply got on my bike and ran his *** over, while doing his taunt on the bike.
smiled way to much at this

so was GYK actually really good? I never fought him but his name pops up all over the place, espcially AIB...
he wasnt trying, hes playing decently in those vids and playing decent will over come all odds in TB with idiots players abound

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Honestly when SD comes around, I will try to kill everyone if they start camping and planking. Most of the time I'd fail but I will manage to take down at the least 1 or 2. I just can't stand it when people decide to live the longest in SD. If they want to win so bad, why not KO the other players. Cowards I tell ya.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Awesome games today in BB. Green Ike/Red MK, A ness who 2 stocked me on Temple >.>, and Black Falco/Blue DK, and a Blue Pikachu.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I remembered why I often stay away from TB last night; My teammates suck over half the time.

I got really mad between the other two simply spamming their **** and me not only falling for it, but my teammate wouldn't do much to help. I couldn't play my best because I was mad, which just made me even more mad when I used my moves blindly in hopes that I would get them and I ended up missing.

I went on BB to vent and ended up making this guy ragequit. I don't even remember who he used, all I remember is my Falcon must have really upset him.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That's part of the fun, for me. It's challenging to win when your teammate is less skilled than you, or doing something different, like spamming...

GGs today to a DK, PT, Peach, ROB (wow, good rob) and a spammy pikachu, lol

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
faced two ****ty noobs who had both the two player hack on and the giga bowser one after i was holding my own against em despite em trying to give each other free kills and double teaming the former match.

whats most funny is even with them both being giga bowser they failed enough the second match to commit suicide like 3 times, only winning when because after the toon link in the match gave em several free kills.

just know you two that i'd kick y'alls ***** easily in a 1v1...no hacks, no bs, no way y'all could beat me ;) guaranteed.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Better to just D/C those rooms. Just as bad as the times on NTSC where I encountered 2 skilled players and tried to double team and whenever I got them at KOing percentage if I got knocked away they would give each other the kill. The other player always sat out and would give them KO points or was AFC. I had to go Mr. Game & Watch on those because of his faster smash attacks.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I had to go Mr. Game & Watch on those because of his faster smash attacks.
I personally find GnW's smash attacks rather slow compared to others. Up smash feels like Ike's, and his Forward Smash is easy to block especially since it gives off a beep when it starts up. Down smash also has a notable start up but it's reliable when spammed.

I guess since he has so much power behind his smash attacks the creators of the game decided to nerf him in startup and ending lag. But still, GnW is a ***** to fight.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I personally find GnW's smash attacks rather slow compared to others. Up smash feels like Ike's, and his Forward Smash is easy to block especially since it gives off a beep when it starts up. Down smash also has a notable start up but it's reliable when spammed.

I guess since he has so much power behind his smash attacks the creators of the game decided to nerf him in startup and ending lag. But still, GnW is a ***** to fight.
I rarely use Mr. Game & Watch but you're right that I use him in these kind of situations only because they're really strong. Otherwise I don't use him for anything else. I only use DSmash after DThrow or after a baiting FSmash since it is slow but even so has that lingering hitbox. USmash is also slow but it is lovely when I hit with it. Often times more of my KOs are from his Dsmash since it is always fresh for me when I use it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

GW isnt that bad when you have good OOS options, i play DDD vs GW because if they key my shield its a free grab everytime

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Yeah I guess we would see that more often compared to TLink's Dair or Kirby's Stone since it has some horizontal control, it would allow you to DI just barely out of grab range from a shield. But as Dark said if you use someone with a good grab range, it's a free grab.

BTW is it okay to go off topic like this? Sorry if it's not.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
nah its fine, GW is a typical character you can run into. Learning how to pshield key is the key[no pun] to having him off of you. GW has pretty good shield pressure with his bair, nair and sometimes uair. Usuually a good GW comes at you with Nair and bair and suprises you with key and uses flag, manhole cover[dtilt] and chair as pokes and footies. His dtilt is really good poke tool. Problem with GW is not so much priority, hes a really telegraphed character so once you figure him out and feel out his habits its a easy win.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Getting back into Brawling online again. Maybe will post a few stories here and there if anything interesting comes up (I actually have some hilarious replays I've taken recently I wish I could share).

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I hate that feeling when you pull off a really sexy combo on someone, but you do it at low percents and they don't die...

I say this because I fought a Yoshi today who wanted to fight. First I powershielded his Down B (which I was surprised that I did) then I followed up with this combo that I find myself doing a lot: (With Falcon by the way)
Jab1 > Jab2 > Grab&Pummel > DThrow > Nair >*jump* > Knee of Justice.

It didn't kill, but I felt like I made up for it when I Down smashed him out of his Eggroll (SideB) Earlier I got an UpSmash as well on him when using Eggroll.

Looking through my old videos I found this one where I was on Temple as Luigi, teamed up with this other Luigi, fighting this Link and D3. The D3 was at 120% on the very left platform of Temple, with both us Luigi's by him (I was below him, while the other was next to him) The other Luigi tried to Up B him in the air as he was coming down from his UpB. Then we both use UpB at the SAME time on him, but unfortunatly he put up his shield and nothing happened... Then I tried a grounded one, but get the coin. Do an aerial one, doesn't kill. The D3 comes right back down in front of me, and I get the full hit for a kill.

I am so dissapointed we couldn't connect those two together.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I can't remember the last time I ever made someone ragequit after 1 match. Poor Red Peach just thought she could throw a turnip at me and run away. I used Mario and made sure she never gets kidnapped again. Then she DC'ed the room :(

Top Bottom