• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Players.....again

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
no. I guess my sooorry covered that.

Sigh... cant wait for Apex 2012 so I can **** in melee.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
not to an international. but we have local ones down here.

After the first genesis, about 40 people took up melee again.

Super

Smash Apprentice
This thread is worth revisiting. Really interesting to read the previous posts and see the progression of players.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
1. Armada
2/3. PP/Mango no order.
4/5. Hbox/M2K no order.

Only real debate imo is between 2/3 and 4/5.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I would say

Armada
PP/Mango
M2K
Hbox
Shroomed/KK/Hax

Anything past that is in much larger tiers, but I believe we all but confirmed that Javi isn't tippy top level. He's a fantastic Fox, but not the best

:phone:

The Business

Smash Journeyman
Except for where M2K beat Mango in two sets and nearly took Losers' Finals against PP.
yea this guy's right 1 tournament completely sets player rankings.

therefore shroomed is tied for the 5th best player in the world.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
1. Armada
2. PP
3. Mango
4. HBox
5. M2K

First and second, I don't see the argument against.
Mango is possibly even lower than third, but he showed that he can still beat HBox, and performed solidly against everyone he met not named M2K. Losing twice against him is bringing him down some, though.
HBox does not have an answer yet to Young Link. Ness was great fun to watch, but even though he was just a Shy Guy away from winning game 2, I think it won't work in the long run. He can beat PP and he can beat Mango, but more often than not, that does not happen. However, he usually beats M2K.
M2K has had ups and downs. Beating Mango twice is incredible for him and shows that he belongs up in top five without a doubt. He *can* take sets from PP and HBox but usually that does not happen, even if it's close some times. If he has another strong showing, I'll be willing to move him up (and perhaps Mango down).

Super

Smash Apprentice
The first two are hard to debate.
1. Armada
2. PP
The next three are obvious but their placings may be different for some people.
3. Mango: Even though he played really reckless and bad vs M2K, one tournament doesn't take away his previous wins vs M2K and everyone else. He stills beats Hbox and challenges Armada and PP.
4. HBox: His Puff dominates Armada's Peach, but stills loses to YL. He's getting there though. He beats M2K but has trouble with PP and Mango.
5. M2K: Is he back? It would of been interesting to see his Marth vs Armada.

Hax/KK/Shroomed/Axe are probably next, with PPU/Javi right there with em.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I have a good feeling M2K is back. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this interview with him just after Apex 2013 wrapping up.

I think most people would agree his mindset has been the bane of his tournament existence, so now that he has seen the results of not giving up, he's going to go HAM. What I'm really interested in is his thoughts on Marth now. He was talking about him as if he's useless on stages other than FD, but he did some amazing work on Stadium against some of the best players.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
S
Armada
Dr. PeePee
Mango
Hungrybox
Mew2King

A+ (loose order)
KirbyKaze
Hax
Shroomed
Axe

A - short, off the top of my head list; there's a bunch of people in "A" that aren't listed
Smoke2Joints
SFAT
FlyAmanita
Kage
Javi
Westballs
Leffen
Silent Wolf

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yoooo if you're putting Westballz in there you have to put Silent Wolf and Leffen in there too

Though I truly think KK, Hax, Shroomed, and Axe have all earned an A tier to themselves

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
1. Armada
2. PP
3. Mango
4. M2K
5. Hbox

I'm not willing to put M2K above Mango quite yet. If Mango performs similarly to Apex next major then I would put him above.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm biased because he's been my friend since like 2006, but I feel like Colbol is one of the biggest wildcards in melee.

He literally has the potential of beating pretty much every player in the world on any given set.

He always takes games from from the top 5 in pretty much every set he plays vs them. Mango, hbox, dr. pp, and m2k, he's taken games off all of them the last time they've played in tourney sets.

He just has an issue with suicides and nerves at some of the big OOS tourneys he goes to. He played well this Apex though. He just needs to work on edgeguarding Doc lol.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Someone who is good at making pretty OP's should start a thread about the top 5 players for each character (at least for mid to top tier).

pewpewU ..how is he not there lol
Just naming people off the top of my head. Should probably edit to make it known.

Am I still the King of A+ tier?
Yeah... But you're SO close to S. Keep it up!

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
It would be hard to really determine who mains who in such a list imo.

Mango plays Fox, Falco and I think his Puff is still better than almost everyone's
M2K plays Sheik, Marth and a bit of Fox
Maybe PP will try to play his Marth more often after Apex

How do you think this could be handled?

Its interesting how this hasn't changed really since 2010. Anyone with a huge background be able to pull out who have been the dominate players since the game's release? The only smash history I know of is Ken's rain around 2007 and a bit before hand. Around that same time you see M2K going up there. Other than that, I am not certain who could be the m2k, hungrybox, mango, armada, and pp of the years prior to 2010.

strawhats

Smash Master
yea this guy's right 1 tournament completely sets player rankings.

therefore shroomed is tied for the 5th best player in the world.
Ummm...m2k has taken a set from pp in the past year and has had tight sets with pp/mango(Genesis 2/Impulse and finally broke through last weekend at Apex)

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Its interesting how this hasn't changed really since 2010. Anyone with a huge background be able to pull out who have been the dominate players since the game's release? The only smash history I know of is Ken's rain around 2007 and a bit before hand. Around that same time you see M2K going up there. Other than that, I am not certain who could be the m2k, hungrybox, mango, armada, and pp of the years prior to 2010.
Isai, Azen, Chillen, Ken, PC Chris, M2K among a few others were the big guys prior to 2010

EDI

thespymachine

Smash Ace
It would be hard to really determine who mains who in such a list imo.

Mango plays Fox, Falco and I think his Puff is still better than almost everyone's
M2K plays Sheik, Marth and a bit of Fox
Maybe PP will try to play his Marth more often after Apex

How do you think this could be handled?

I think the best way is to just use the characters the players have used over the past year in bracket. So, Mango would have Fox, Falco, and Falcon.

It would have been awesome if Apex's top 8 was round robin like FC
Agreed.

Top Bottom