• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Ike Guide By B4BC edit: CLEANED UP AGAIN A LITTLE

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Also, Up+B is a spike or meteor smash. I'm pretty sure it's a spike if I had to choose. Trust me. I know. I've being playing a lot online with Ike. The second to last hit of the Aether is a spike. You rarely get it because the last hit will push the opponent somewhat horizontal, cancelling the spike. But here's the kicker, the last hit doesn't land when done at an edge. In other words, for people edge guarded, if they try to escape it, you'll slam them down and before the last hit can land (cancelling the spike effect), Ike grabs the ledge. Spike kill. It's beautiful and everyone I've played gets hit by it at least once (until they learn to avoid it).
And, at the same time, it edge-hogs, should the spiked person manage to meteor cancel...

Uuuh... actually, I haven't seen anything about it, but is meteor cancelling in Brawl? I just realized that I didn't know that...

Kirk

Smash Champion
There's also the Edge Hug but that's pretty tricky to do with Ike. I rather reverse backflip fastfall (RAR without attacking) onto the ledge. It's more reliable. You can also Aether past the edge and he'll snap to it, but I haven't tried to do with with somebody also trying to get the edge (something tells me you'll suicide).
The edge hug isn't too difficult once you get the hang of it. Basically run of the ledge, fastfall, then hold toward the edge and you'll grab on. If you don't fastfall, you won't grab the ledge immediately like you should. I show this in some of my videos as well.

If you miss the ledge it isn't much of a concern, just aether back up :D

As for the Aether hog, just make sure your opponent doesn't get to the ledge first :p Easier said than done I know, but if he has invincibility frames while on the ledge, you're screwed. Otherwise, Aether would hit your opponent off the ledge and you'd tack on.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
The edge hug isn't too difficult once you get the hang of it. Basically run of the ledge, fastfall, then hold toward the edge and you'll grab on. If you don't fastfall, you won't grab the ledge immediately like you should. I show this in some of my videos as well.

If you miss the ledge it isn't much of a concern, just aether back up :D

As for the Aether hog, just make sure your opponent doesn't get to the ledge first :p Easier said than done I know, but if he has invincibility frames while on the ledge, you're screwed. Otherwise, Aether would hit your opponent off the ledge and you'd tack on.
Yeah, i've watched some of your vids. Try the backflip move though, it's a bit more reliable and with Ike, it's easier to set into bAir if they try to get on the ledge.
I like your "correct" usage of AAA jabs and nAir. Just a tip that the nAir does go behind you and it goes behind you at the last frames of the animation, meaning you can jump towards an enemy with it and if they spot dodge it , the back part of the swing can hit them. If still not, there's no/minimal lag on hitting to ground so you can run/roll if needed.

What I didn't see you use is the Dashing attack. At first I didn't either. The range of it takes getting used to. I used the sandbag in online sessions to practice. Try to get the tip of the Dashing A as close to the sandbag wihout hitting it (or getting a phantom hit).

Another thing is that because there's no lightshielding all characters will get pushed more or less the same distance if they shield an attack. This makes those slow yet strong smash attacks not so useless since no one can reach you after they block it. I'm still trying to work some of that into my gameplay but I've used it more or less with the fSmash. upSmash is great for rolling people since the arc is wider behind you.

Well, that's it. Kirk, we should Ike ditto online some time. I'm right by NYC and you're in Rochester so the lag shouldn't affect too much.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im trying to soak up all this at once....alls i got to say is WOW, i have a lot of sh** to do this weekend

thx u shortfuse im gona make this guide even better if this appeases you, again thx u

Kirk

Smash Champion
Yeah, i've watched some of your vids. Try the backflip move though, it's a bit more reliable and with Ike, it's easier to set into bAir if they try to get on the ledge.
I like your "correct" usage of AAA jabs and nAir. Just a tip that the nAir does go behind you and it goes behind you at the last frames of the animation, meaning you can jump towards an enemy with it and if they spot dodge it , the back part of the swing can hit them. If still not, there's no/minimal lag on hitting to ground so you can run/roll if needed.

What I didn't see you use is the Dashing attack. At first I didn't either. The range of it takes getting used to. I used the sandbag in online sessions to practice. Try to get the tip of the Dashing A as close to the sandbag wihout hitting it (or getting a phantom hit).

Another thing is that because there's no lightshielding all characters will get pushed more or less the same distance if they shield an attack. This makes those slow yet strong smash attacks not so useless since no one can reach you after they block it. I'm still trying to work some of that into my gameplay but I've used it more or less with the fSmash. upSmash is great for rolling people since the arc is wider behind you.

Well, that's it. Kirk, we should Ike ditto online some time. I'm right by NYC and you're in Rochester so the lag shouldn't affect too much.
Thanks man :D I know ALL about the Nair :D It's one of my favorite moves to use.

I dont't use the dashing attack much you're right. But lately, when I did use it, i noticed it actually connects o.O The range is deceptive indeed. Maybe I should think about using it more often.

Ike's Smashes are quite amazing :D Only problem I come across is if they decide to roll away or behind you. That equals punishment right there :/

Thanks for your insight :D I'd love to wifi sometime.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yea i no waltz typing this guide from my wii, it gets pretty da** hard

sry thats one thing i plan to correct this weekend.

comboking

Smash Master
please

Hey Roith. I know you've checked up on my Brawl Impressions. I've been improving my Ike.
AAA is the speediest move for Ike. It's great for chasing rolls and mid% will get caught in all three. Low% might escape the last one, but spot dodging the first or second will usually (if you delay a bit) allow you to slam with the third hit (the strongest).

Also, Up+B is a spike or meteor smash. I'm pretty sure it's a spike if I had to choose. Trust me. I know. I've being playing a lot online with Ike. The second to last hit of the Aether is a spike. You rarely get it because the last hit will push the opponent somewhat horizontal, cancelling the spike. But here's the kicker, the last hit doesn't land when done at an edge. In other words, for people edge guarded, if they try to escape it, you'll slam them down and before the last hit can land (cancelling the spike effect), Ike grabs the ledge. Spike kill. It's beautiful and everyone I've played gets hit by it at least once (until they learn to avoid it).

Also, to note, the counter (down+B) has a delay on it, longer than Marth's in Melee so that takes getting used to. You have to time your counters even earlier.

Some advanced techniques which I was trying to get Adi to add to his list, but he believes they're similar they don't count are the follow. Btw, the Hyphen Smash isn't a Jump Cancel since you can do it with C-Stick and without mapping Analog Stick up as Jump.

Reverse Jump Cancelled Hyphen Smash - This move HAS to be Jump Cancelled which means if you don't have jump mapped to Analog Stick up, this won't work. It's a trade off. Basically, dash, hit the other direction and do a Up Smash using the Analog Stick + A. Basically it's jump cancelled. This is great for Ike because his Up Smash has more range behind him than in front. Run to the edge, reverse, and up+smash. The range of the sword will exceed the horizontal grabbing range for characters meaning, if they have to come from below.

For Shield Cancel Grab, there's something I found out. If you run with Ike and let go of the analog stick (or press down, as long as you don't push left or right), Ike will skid on the floor for a bit. This is when you should a shield grab. You can do it in ONE frame. If you do not stop running before pressing shield, you'll have to wait about 5 frames after you put up your shield to grab, or you'll get the running grab.

There's also the Edge Hug but that's pretty tricky to do with Ike. I rather reverse backflip fastfall (RAR without attacking) onto the ledge. It's more reliable. You can also Aether past the edge and he'll snap to it, but I haven't tried to do with with somebody also trying to get the edge (something tells me you'll suicide).

I was thinking of making my own Ike guide but this is good enough. I Hope you can use these points and I'll be back later with more later. Maybe even videos. O_o
Reverse Jump Cancelled Hyphen Smash - This move HAS to be Jump Cancelled which means if you don't have jump mapped to Analog Stick up, this won't work. It's a trade off. Basically, dash, hit the other direction and do a Up Smash using the Analog Stick + A. Basically it's jump cancelled. This is great for Ike because his Up Smash has more range behind him than in front. Run to the edge, reverse, and up+smash. The range of the sword will exceed the horizontal grabbing range for characters meaning, if they have to come from below.
hey can i use this shortfuse I want to use what ever you put up if you let me i will give you credit

Oh yah and roith i am going to add the damage of all ikes attack and other stuff

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
Ike's side b, looks very similar to that of fox and falco of melee, if so i wouldn't see much offensive use for it. But you say its a great combo starter and means of approach. I'm really looking forward to playing him and great guide considering the game has only been out for like 3 weeks or so. And...

IKE FOR GOD TIER!!

Kirk

Smash Champion
Ike's side b can be super powerful, unlike Fox and Falco. If you charge it, it can KO pretty well.
^^Truth. It has a variety of uses...

Mindgames--dashing around the stage...or hold the charge to make your opponent drain his shield.

Approach--purposely miss the attack, spacing just right to follow-up with more attacks.

Recovery--just in case Aether won't quite reach...or just to mix things up.

Attack--like Torchik said, it can K.O. at decent percentages when charged.

Overall...very nice move in Ike's arsenal :D

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
ROITH! Congratulations man! Looks like you're the first thread in the whole Ike section to be stickied! Makin' B4BC Proud, i'll announce your accomplishment to the clan! Continue your outstanding work!

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yeah im going to start a section of that, with the trajectory of every hit

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
seriously? even i didnt know that.

to all those *****s askin if ike is high tier..............
*****s ikes FACE is high tier wut do u think he is as a whole?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Fox and Falco's Forward-b moves can be interrupted, and much easier than Ike's.

Basically, Fox illusion can be stopped by Ness's ftilt. Ike's quick draw usually eats/clanks it due to the disjointed hitbox.

comboking

Smash Master
I meant it to be sarcastic because someone said something about some attack did more damage when you sweetspot it!

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Nice first guide next thing whould be semone find a way to bring the frame by frame mode with an AR or something else and then bring a frame data stat for ike move and super armor this should be very usefull.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I believe that Kirk under the list of contributors is a huge understatement. He has just about single handedly helped us all learn more about Ike a great deal.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
umm what more do you want me to say, i mentioned you twice

and sorry i dont get much time to edit it, so i rarly get the chance to clean it up. i made the guide from my wii and so im not surprised to see errors.

so chill out the guides not gona be perfect in a week.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I think you should have a credit section with Kirk. In my opinion, he really didn't even contribute to your thread, but granted permission that you could use his vids.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
H-holy crap that was detailed.

Thanks for the info. I'm very interested in Ike. He may be the first high/mid tier character with that much weight.

I really hope so. ^_^;

Top Bottom