• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Acro

Smash Ace
yeah if theres anything going on saturday let us know and if theres not then smash at my house for all who wanna come.. tonight is massive hw night.. yeah i'm thinking about quitting this competitively.. still love to play with all the mi people but constantly driving to other states and paying for hotels, gas, entry fee.. and then just losing it all is starting to hurt my funds and i'm going to a REAL college later this year *CMU* so i need to start saving my money.. if theres **** in MI tho i'll still expect to make it out unless hw like this weekend

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
sry **** NOj doesnt scrounge money to come to midland anymore LOL. remember the time i needed 6 bucks to bowl with u guys? yeah sacfrifice baby. Acro man i dont wanna hear any johns when u come back LOL, youve seen first hand what happened to me. going from king of the midwest to getting ownd by every scrub i play, until the most recent tourney where i actually got top 10 WOOOOOOOO. it only takes roughly a year to completly fall off of smash. but hey when u cant up throw uair me 6 times in a row dont say i didnt warn u.

Aquarius

Smash Cadet
hey guys, I'm from Grand Rapids. and I'm working on a tourney thats feb 10 & 11. singles on sat double in sun. basic mlg rules, 10 for singles 15 for doubles. if anyone is interested, let me know. isn't much as far as tourny's in my city so gotta start somewhere. Thanks!

RapE

Smash Ace
My ***** butters look at this guy you need to come play with midland son seriously we missed the randomness of your playing style lol

RashTuvai

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid to say this with all my other *****in' but this tourney on sunday looks kinda like a raw deal. The cost of hosting this on one projector is 50% of the pot (minus $10)? I guess it depends on how many people show up but I think I might just wait until Ann Arbor hosts their thing in a couple weeks. At least then we might get some of Midland to show up. That still happening sheepy?

Honestly, though $10 isn't gonna break the bank, just want to limit how much I play this game since I'm starting to fall behind this semester with all these events. Gotta be picky.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yep. Still happening.

The venue's expensive as fuck but I'll get it.

It's about 135 dollars. It shot up in price because they're f*cking pricks.

RashTuvai

Smash Journeyman
heh, guess we shoulda did this back when you were first talking about it. How many sq ft did you say it was? Should prolly see about getting a few different tournies to be hosted in there to take full advantage of it while you have it. Advertise for Halo 2 and the like. Something of that scale would be awesome.

Also, why didn't the word "f*ck" get asterisks from your previous post. curious...

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
$10 is hardly a bad price, since we are basically devoting our whole store to smash. Depending ont he turnout, we will have multiple TVs running also. I've been getting calls up at the store non-stop about this, and I am thinking its gonna be pretty big.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
(font=verdana]F[/font]uck. Just switch the ( to an [.

Censor bypass.

Yeah, I like that idea, but it's a different sq. footage because the lady first told me 30-60 bucks, but then she was like "OH AND AN INSURANCE LEASE 2000 DOLLAS PLZ" just earlier today. So I switched over to WCC, which advertises their place that can hold around 150 people with tables and shit for about 135 dollars.

It's fucking expensive, like I said.

edit: Fire, it's not the cost of entrance, it's the pot they're concerned about. If the place costs X to use for a day, and your business needs to profit, then take like 30% and leave 70 for the pot, because 50% is a huge amount.

If 30 people show up to my tournament though, it'll be like 30% to the venue, and all the rest goes to the pot. And that's just singles. Assuming everyone does doubles, then it'll only be 15% to the pot.

You see what I mean? It just feels like if 30 or so people show up, then it'll be 50% of 300 dollars = 150 dollars = 105 bucks for the winner of singles/doubles, 30 bucks for second, and a measly 15 for third.

Third is probably losing money 'cause of gas, second is breaking even, and the winner is the only one walking away richer, with maybe an extra 80 or so bucks in his pocket. Make it like 30/40 percent and people will be much less bothered, I think.

RashTuvai

Smash Journeyman
that's less than $1 per person if you can fill it or get close to filling it. That's not a bad price at all. Getting 150 people with a bunch of cubes and xboxes and ps2's is gonna be the hard part. You may need more time if you want to do that. Gotta advertise.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I could move the date back...

But like, I think...well, if I move it TOO far back it gets close to SMYM, and if I move it past that it's in fucking April lol.

But it's for Michigan, not me. So pick a date you want and post it in the thread :). I could probably rent the room each month too, assuming I'm able to pull 150 dollars out of my *** each month.

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
Well, I am glad you guys are poo-pooing my first tournament. 50% SOUNDS like a huge amount, but thats only 5 out of the 10 and that includes our expertise in hosting tournaments. I can personally promise that the tourny will be well run and go as quick as possible.

Besides which, 3rd place doesnt get anything. First is 70%, 2nd is 30%, 3rd gets a pat on the back.

The point is not the money imo anyway, its about getting together and having a great time playing against people who are a challenge to your skills. Its about meeting new people and making connections in the smash world. And its about playing smash. Our tournament will deliver all three, with the added bonus of cash for first and second. Besides, winning shouldnt be a problem right? Its a "scrub" tournament, right? I thought most of you guys were pretty good! Come out and show me what you got.

I'm excited as hell for tomorrow, I cant wait to see some of the people who read these boards out here. (P.S. Naruto doesnt want to enter because he knows that if he gets matched up against me, its an auto loss. Just food for thought.)

RapE

Smash Ace
Im not gonna lie if i were there and wanted to miss the super bowl you would be matched up against me and it would be a auto loss. Just saying your gonna get beat trust me naruto isnt anything special neither are you :)

Just putting you in your place!

Also dope/hochi which ever wins is a ******* for winning tomorrow! lol midland would be there but Bears are too good son!

Also we will be in lansing for the fest next week! Will be too good! Fire you should come and 10$ MM me it would awesome!

Michigan FTW!

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol michigan for the win of the cake that's good but i don't like cake >:c so don't want cake maybe ice cream but preferably tacos am mexican

Dopey

Smash Lord
me, jeff, an dante are comin to teh southfeild, be there before 12

RashTuvai

Smash Journeyman
James takes home the prize and Joel comes in 2nd.

Man, i didnt even have a shot at second place since dope was on my side of the tournament board. they shoulda had that set up where there was one losers bracket so I woulda been able to play someone on the other side of the board.

Anyway, that was fun to play against the few people that showed up from the boards. Still wished we coulda done some doubles...

also, james and joel. If you guys ever wanna play someone local, i think joel's got my number so give me a call. Hope I was some sort of challenge to you guys although most of what I remember of James' falco is a blur and his fox is a b|tch... god**** up smash juggling. Joel, I still gotta play your sheik and G&W a bit more.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't played Joel ever :( I didn't come because I woke up around 2pm (god**** alcohol) and the rest of them didn't come because I didn't come and they know how worthless it is to go without me ;)

I wish SSBB would be delayed 'till 2008.

Anyways, if there are any smashfests this weekend let me know and well, assuming I wake up and ****, I'll be there.

By the way Saturdays are preferable. Wednesdays and Fridays are terrible for me :(.

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, rash summed it up pretty much how it happened. Dope did some nasty sick stuff, and Joel knocked me out of the winners bracket with his g+w lol. Man, never seen a good one before, it was totally unexpected.

All in all, it was a great tournament, everyone had an awsome time, and it was completely sold out. We actually had to turn away two guys, we had reached our max. Dope walked away with $112, and Joel got $38 I think. top4 got shirts too, so thats a plus.

As for ****: There is no place to put me in, you havent seen me play and I havent seen you play. In order for junk to be talked, first some matches have to take place =)

Keep an eye out guys, we will DEFINETLY be having a second tournament next month.

NarutoShocker

Smash Ace
Yeah, I showed up late, but took someone's place in the losers bracket. All in all: the key to losing is playin n64 smash.

But no johns. I played really bad. Wouldn't mind gettin a more permanent NEARBY smashfest started. Might have to start one in UoM-D. Marthmaster, I'm even hoping you'll start yours up again. SEMI area + sfld needs to smash. And my Ness needs training.

RapE

Smash Ace
Fire i would love to play just go to lansing this friday cause midland will be there! so James and Joel no johns and be there! Also good **** i didnt see dope winning lol......also joels GnW is too good but ive 2 stocked it with GnW lol <3 joel.

Dopey

Smash Lord
yeh i woke up about 11 LOL i soooooo didnt wanna come. BTW sry ito for the whole puking incident, ive never puked from beer before i guess thers a first time for everything. n e wayz i prolly wont even drink next week if i do make it out :)

fun tourney all, wish we coulda got more friendlies in one TV kinda suxd but im sure they will get their situation in more order now that they see how big smash is. they were tellin me about some big 10G tourneys or 40g topurneys for the card game they play heh. i suck at cardz cept poker in which i own at )

Acro

Smash Ace
nice james haha so hochi didnt go? bummer lol oh well at least you and joel made out with some cash! we'll see you guys at lansing next weekend cant wait!

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
No can do ****, I work almost every day. But you should def. consider coming out here, I'm always up for competition of any kind. My only regret is that I didnt get a chance to play with Dopey and Joel more. Next tournament we can set something up and play afterwards. Dont worry, in the mean time I will be training up and getting ready to bring the pain next tournament. I have seen some things that are definetly going to improve my game. Every little bit helps.

luigi master tae

Smash Journeyman
lol yeah it was a cool tournament a few ppl was good but the only person i lost to was rash but still was a good game lol key word of advice for shiek players is stop being shiek i learn from dope to kill shieks all day

Top Bottom