• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Black Man's Burden

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will never fully understand and comprehend the depth of racial issues nor will I say I do since I am mostly white guy from America. My mom is half Japanese but I barely look it.

However, after moving to Japan and being one of 8 western foreigners in my city, I have a little (a tiny bit) understand on how racism, even as a joke, can have a negative effect, how stereotypes can be detrimental in nature, and what it means to be discriminated against.

I do enjoy living here and have experienced many interesting and exciting things, it does have it drawbacks. Primarily the racism I get from people. It ranges from innocent questions from 4th grade students asking "If I am human" or they will get white skin from touching me to the crazy and scary questions such as a random old guy asking me to whip my penis out so he can see if its true that foreigners have bigger penises. It even extends to being banned from various establishments such as restaurants, resort hotels, massage therapy clinics, and hot springs. In fact, my girlfriend and I recently made plans to go a beach house in one of Japan's southern islands and found that they do not allow foreigners to stay. I have been kicked out of other establishments for just being foreign. I have had people talk **** about behind my back or even in front of my face. Some 18-year old punk screamed at me to "go back home, foreigner" as I walked home from the train station.

Plus, I have Bobby to help represent me. He can be funny at times but, he panders to the idea that foreigners have no ****ing clue about Japan. He constantly acts ******** in anything concerning Japanese culture, ****s up the language, and generally plays dumb. But that is the only niche that foreigners can get into because, well, that is how Japanese people view foreigners - ignorant of Japanese language, culture, and customs and generally idiots. Here is another example of a "gifted" Gaijin Talent. That is why everyone flips out when they see I can use chopsticks, eat sushi, or even speak to them in Japanese.

Sorry to write about my own experience but I felt it might be, in some way, relevant in this discussion.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wooooow. Is that common through out Japan or just in that area?
It's better in areas like Tokyo and Osaka but, if live in a city of 100,000+ and it can be bad. My one friend, who lived in a village of 1,000+ had it even worse (but she also had it better since everyone knew her). It depends on the situation.

It happens in a society where everyone is the same race. I had the same experience when I was in South Korea as well.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Geez Japan is pretty secluded.. Being banned from establishments for not being Japanese is just plain racism. Guess being in America made me not realize it still exists to a hard degree in some countries. Kinda should have expected it since my mother held a strong racism towards blacks (she is an immigrant) so she never really knew black people from her own experience, so I guess she just was afraid of their stereotype they've been given or something. She did stop though after some time (and my sisters and I telling her that she's being racist)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If black people are such a small percentage of society, and people are more comfortable with writing [and watching] what they can actually connect with, it isn't really surprising that it is the way it is, let alone why black people are much more rare on the television.
This.

My friend is currently on business in Asia rolling out Oracle Business Solutions. He started in Japan, then to Hong Kong, then Thailand, then rounding up somewhere in Indonesia before coming home. While in Japan he stayed at a hotel across from the Imperial Palace. He was surprised to find out you don't tip your waiter or bar keep in Japan, as it earns you quite the nasty lecture/is considered disrespectful. He said he enjoyed himself, but would have enjoyed himself even more if he'd have had a Japanese translator/cultural baby sitter to take in tow everywhere.

Oh and heated toilet seats. He'd like to see that brought here to the US, lol.

But yeah, he fared okay, but he was in Tokyo, which is touristy in comparison to other parts of Japan. Now, how he gets along in Thailand, I can only guess at, but methinks he'll like Tokyo the best.

As for Racism, it's fairly prevalent in Asian culture, there and even here in the US. My family is of Chinese origin, and I hate to say it, they were pretty darn racist back in the day. Never had I heard the term "jigaboo" before (truncated as jig in lots of places back in the 60's) but at 5 years old the entire concept of "avoid black people because they're all lazy and thieves" was something I should have never been exposed to. But as for Asians in general I can't ever shake the feeling that Koreans and Japanese are "stuck-up" in some way, almost like the Elves or Vulcans of Earth - some deep seeded animosity towards other peoples, and some self-made image of superiority and purity of mind, body and soul.

At least that's the impression I've gotten from any of the Japanese and Korean people I've known throughout the years. Obviously it's a stereotype but so many stereotypes are based in real observations that it's hard to steel away from them sometimes.

But I can forgive them because Japanese and Korean chicks are so hot. Especially Korean girls, mmmmmmmmm.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I don't think people really feel uncomfortable watching shows with a large number (or complete cast) of minorities. I don't get that feeling, nor do I know anyone who does. So no, not "this". What I said actually sums it up quite well, it doesn't have to be made to be anything more than that. I don't think there is a whole lot of sublime racism subtly in the casts of our mainstream media, not much reason to, it's only adding an unnecessary elaboration to what is explained in the way I just explained it (and the way people before me have said which drove me to that conclusion).

Also, it is a shame to know Japan is like that... though not too surprising considering its history. Just plain sucks.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
a random old guy asking me to whip my penis out so he can see if its true that foreigners have bigger penises.
I know this isnt supposed to be funny but

lmaooooooooooooooooo

That is an excellent point. If black people are such a small percentage of society, and people are more comfortable with writing what they can actually connect with, it isn't really surprising that it is the way it is, let alone why black people are much more rare on the television.

Also, what Luigitoilet said. I think Nicki would have that reaction if you straight up told her Asians are only portrayed as nerdy genius types. @_@ That's actually something newer that they are portrayed as, I believe.
I'm assuming you guys didn't read any of the articles Jam posted.
Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc people are obviously minorities, but for a TV show that takes place in NYC and is supposed to be the "Voice of a Generation" and having all the characters be white is problematic.
NYC is one of the, if not the most racially diverse cities on earth.

D

Deleted member

I had a conversation with a friend about this a few months ago, specifically about how white and male the movie industry is. Her perspective was that the best way to change that was to get the content creators (writers, producers, directors, executives, etc.) to realize that there are other stories out there to be told, while I argued that the only way to get women and minorities on screen is for women and minorities to write and produce their own work. I think Girls has validated my point: Lena Dunham is a white woman who writes about white women. That's great, and I'm not trying to say that she needs to write in a black character for my sake. It's her story, and she can do whatever she wants with it. However, I can be disappointed that the story in her head is just as overwhelmingly white as just about every other story that gets presented in the media.

If there are going to be stories about minorities in the media, then those stories are going to need to be created by us, the minorities who seek representation, because it's exceedingly clear that no one else is going to tell our stories for us. So yeah, I might want to write a story about a WASP, but you know what? Everyone else is already doing that. If I want to see a show that actually has minority cast members that aren't fulfilling ridiculous stereotypes, then I'm going to have to make that happen. Once we actually can exercise some control over the creation of content, then we can see realistic and believable representations of ourselves in the media, and we can let Girls be as white as it wants to be.

I suppose the real secret to success in the media is to either be white, write about white people, or make damn sure white people feel good about themselves when it's over.
Your area of investigation is exclusively in the entertainment industry. It's much more likely that the profiles you have outlined are there because they generate the highest amount of revenue for what they feel they can possibly bring in. Is race a determinant of these choices? Possibly, but it's almost guaranteed to be from a financial perspective rather than a social one.

The same goes for minorities in the media. The exposure for them needs to be created by special interest groups (you) because they're not the most profitable content. When you sponsor them, you're doing so in the name of social dynamics more so than any media company is. Indeed, if this content was more profitable than what is already available, that racism would cost them real money. Racism is just too expensive in the current economy.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Implying NYC circa 1960s had only white people.

Edit: also where does it say this show takes place in the 60s?
Do you even know what the show is? XD It takes place in the 60's, even the OP said that and dismissed the lack of whites in it.

And no, I wasn't implying that. ._.;

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Why don't people just hire people based on whether they fit the role better... why should we even strive to have a higher ratio of this race to that race? Why should race matter unless the role requires it? (a book says a character is a certain race before it becomes a movie/tv series, or maybe a stereotypical side character in a comedy, etc)

"Oh, well this person would fit the role better, but we don't have any latino's in this show yet, and he's not too bad. We'll just use him over the 3rd black guy."

Is that how it should be? Should directors, colleges, etc consciously think about race?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
White people have it bad to in Holiwood actually.

If they aren't Jews

Chris Blackwell killed Bob Marley btw.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's actually the point: the only people making content that features black people are other black people. It's a shame that we have to settle for the nonsense that Perry peddles as entertainment.
Are you trying to say that you feel that the white people making tv shows/movies/etc are obligated to include black people (and not just 1 or two black people, but a 'decent number' of them) in their content?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't think people really feel uncomfortable watching shows with a large number (or complete cast) of minorities. I don't get that feeling, nor do I know anyone who does. So no, not "this".
uh, wtf.

If black people are such a small percentage of society, and people are more comfortable with writing what they can actually connect with, it isn't really surprising that it is the way it is, let alone why black people are much more rare on the television.
Not only do I agree with this statement of yours, but I simply pointed out that people also feel more comfortable watching shows -they can actually connect with-.

Did I say "shows with a large number (or complete cast) of minorities?

Nope.

kthx

So anyway, the point here is that if 12 percent of America is Black, it should be no surprise that America's national broadcast stations have shows with casts that have 12% or less black people in them. IF we were to expand this reasoning to include all minorities, we'd still find that America is mostly white Christians, so of course most tv shows will have casts that are mostly made up of white Christians. As the above poster mentioned, this is because of the money. It's about making as much of it as possible, and to do that, you have to please the largest audience possible. To do that, you have to understand who your largest audience is... white Christians. This isn't rocket surgery.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Whoa there dude, chill. I thought you were trying to say white people enjoy watching white people more than black people, in the context of what I was talking about. If that isn't what you meant, then sorry.

Just relax bud. ^_^ My apologies. I'll pay more attention next time.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
The problem is nobody wants to see a movie about black people, or latinos, or anything. They don't sell as well as they could unless it has Will Smith in it, apparently because people in general can't sympathize with black people unless they are made into vulnerable figures to be protected by white men or comic relieves that aren't meant to be taken seriously.

The really funny part? It doesn't just apply to white countries. I live in a country where 90% of the population is dark-skinned people and they would much rather watch Nicholas Cage or Jack Nicholson than any black man. My grandpa, black, hated shows with all-black casts because, in his own words, "They acted like fools" and disregarded any kind of black culture music or movie and preferred white music. All of his sons think the same.

This has always confused me greatly. And I came here to, maybe, get an answer. You would think they would like people like them....but they don't. In fact, you constantly keep seeing police officers disregarding white people while stopping black people for revisions....and the police officers are black. Or black girls ignoring black men to get with whites. It's as if there was a deep-cultural self-hatred over here.

Maybe I could get opinions on this matter? I have come to some conclusions, but I'd like to hear others first.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why don't people just hire people based on whether they fit the role better... why should we even strive to have a higher ratio of this race to that race? Why should race matter unless the role requires it? (a book says a character is a certain race before it becomes a movie/tv series, or maybe a stereotypical side character in a comedy, etc)

"Oh, well this person would fit the role better, but we don't have any latino's in this show yet, and he's not too bad. We'll just use him over the 3rd black guy."

Is that how it should be? Should directors, colleges, etc consciously think about race?
You're looking at the situation as to why should a minority be cast if it doesn't matter. This now begs the question, "Why should I cast a White actor over a better minority actor when the race doesn't matter?" Unfortunately, that answer tends to be money since a White actor can be related to by a larger audience.

From my viewpoint, it's not about satisfying a quota. It's about people not being stuck in certain roles save for the obvious cultural ones, like it would make no sense for a Black guy to play a Chinese emperor or a Mexican to play an African tribal chief.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
From my viewpoint, it's not about satisfying a quota. It's about people not being stuck in certain roles save for the obvious cultural ones, like it would make no sense for a Black guy to play a Chinese emperor.
Posting this for no reason but amusement.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I remember my sister told me about this when she went to see the movie. We were both confused.

And that "movie" is a giant finger to cultural context.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I was going to go wild with the multi-quoting to respond, but I think this is alot easier:

Link to original post: [drupal=5152]The Black Man's Burden[/drupal]

If there are going to be stories about minorities in the media, then those stories are going to need to be created by us, the minorities who seek representation, because it's exceedingly clear that no one else is going to tell our stories for us. So yeah, I might want to write a story about a WASP, but you know what? Everyone else is already doing that. If I want to see a show that actually has minority cast members that aren't fulfilling ridiculous stereotypes, then I'm going to have to make that happen. Once we actually can exercise some control over the creation of content, then we can see realistic and believable representations of ourselves in the media, and we can let Girls be as white as it wants to be.

...or not, since we still need the current power brokers to actually buy our pilots, produce our scripts and publish our books, and that's a really tall order. Sure, Eva Longoria is producing a show with four Hispanic females as the main characters, but they're maids. The Help featured several black actresses prominently, but they were maids too. I suppose the real secret to success in the media is to either be white, write about white people, or make damn sure white people feel good about themselves when it's over.
I am not asking for affirmative action in casting. I'm not saying that directors and producers should be obligated to pick minorities in roles (it would be nice if they'd do it of their own accord). I am saying that media is super-white, and unrepresentatively so. I'm saying that the way to correct that is not to beg content creators to suddenly agree that more blacks/Hispanics/Asians/Martians need to be in the media, but to encourage new content creators who already feel that way.

The problem is nobody wants to see a movie about black people, or latinos, or anything. They don't sell as well as they could unless it has Will Smith in it, apparently because people in general can't sympathize with black people unless they are made into vulnerable figures to be protected by white men or comic relieves that aren't meant to be taken seriously.

The really funny part? It doesn't just apply to white countries. I live in a country where 90% of the population is dark-skinned people and they would much rather watch Nicholas Cage or Jack Nicholson than any black man. My grandpa, black, hated shows with all-black casts because, in his own words, "They acted like fools" and disregarded any kind of black culture music or movie and preferred white music. All of his sons think the same.

This has always confused me greatly. And I came here to, maybe, get an answer. You would think they would like people like them....but they don't. In fact, you constantly keep seeing police officers disregarding white people while stopping black people for revisions....and the police officers are black. Or black girls ignoring black men to get with whites. It's as if there was a deep-cultural self-hatred over here.

Maybe I could get opinions on this matter? I have come to some conclusions, but I'd like to hear others first.
A few years ago, I was sitting outside my apartment reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X on a picnic table. A little black girl was carrying around a newspaper flyer for toys, and she came to the table to look at it. She pointed at a white doll in the flyer and said, "I wish I was white."

By the age of seven, that little girl had already internalized that white was better. I'm sure that no one said it to her explicitly, but the media images she'd been fed her entire life showed her that being white was preferable to being black. I don't think it's so much self hate, as it is a conditioned response to whiteness. In other words, most people aren't saying, "Black is bad," their saying "White is good," which is not the same thing, although the effect is basically the same. And I think it's a mindset that's far more pervasive than we may think.

EDIT- While not specifically addressing the topic, this video seems relevant to the spirit of the thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qSElmEmEjb4#!

_Keno_

Smash Lord
You're looking at the situation as to why should a minority be cast if it doesn't matter. This now begs the question, "Why should I cast a White actor over a better minority actor when the race doesn't matter?" Unfortunately, that answer tends to be money since a White actor can be related to by a larger audience.
Not quite how I would word my view on this, but if that's the case, then what are even supposed to discuss?
How to stop movie/tvseries makers from catering to the largest audience (racist white people)?
How to stop racist white people from being racist?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
So not only is he questioning why it shouldn't have black characters but he's also questioning if it actually takes place in the 60's?

Doh'kay.
Do you even know what the show is? XD It takes place in the 60's, even the OP said that and dismissed the lack of whites in it.
I'm talking about the show Girls, hence the "voice of a generation" thing.

I understand reading can be hard though.

Doh'kay indeed.

Or black girls ignoring black men to get with whites.
Pretty sure this is commonly seen as the other way around.

guy to play a Chinese emperor or a Mexican to play an African tribal chief.
Now saying someone can't play a role based on Nationality is a bit of stretch....

Posting this for no reason but amusement.

You're trying to bring up The Last Airbender movie to support your argument.
That's like an auto loss.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm talking about the show Girls, hence the "voice of a generation" thing.

I understand reading can be hard though.

Doh'kay indeed.
Hmm... I send you this.

The show takes place in the 1960s. Read this.
And you didn't stop me there to say that and go on to say whatever this is.

Implying NYC circa 1960s had only white people.

Edit: also where does it say this show takes place in the 60s?
I think the problem with reading you said you experience is just you. ;)

To further that point, payasofobia said he was posting that out of amusement only. :p Though, I agree if it wasn't, you are right about the auto loss.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I simply do not understand how not being portrayed in the media is a "burden" lol. You don't see Canadians or English people portrayed often in the media very often, either; it's kind of a side effect of media attempting to cater to a majority of their audience and in America that happens to be Caucasians. In Japan/China, most of their media portrays Asian people. I'm sure originally American people that move over there have to have this horrendous burden on their shoulders lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I do agree, the blog title is hyperbolic to a detriment.

I would consider things like incarceration and employment bias to be a much bigger burden than not being equally represented in TV shows. Not to say this isn't a problem, but to single it out and call it "the black man's burden" seems to imply a poor sense of author priorities more than anything.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If I don't have a perfect ratio between all sexes and races, I am quite displeased.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I simply do not understand how not being portrayed in the media is a "burden" lol. You don't see Canadians or English people portrayed often in the media very often, either; it's kind of a side effect of media attempting to cater to a majority of their audience and in America that happens to be Caucasians. In Japan/China, most of their media portrays Asian people. I'm sure originally American people that move over there have to have this horrendous burden on their shoulders lol
I do agree, the blog title is hyperbolic to a detriment.

I would consider things like incarceration and employment bias to be a much bigger burden than not being equally represented in TV shows. Not to say this isn't a problem, but to single it out and call it "the black man's burden" seems to imply a poor sense of author priorities more than anything.
Did you actually read the OP? Because I don't understand how you could have and come away with the idea that the burden itself is lack of media representation. Just in case you didn't, I'll boil it down for you (with easy to understand bolding!):

As some of you know, I enjoy writing. I haven't been doing much lately, but I'm trying to get back into it (hence all the blogs as of late), and one thing I've been considering is what kind of writer I want to be. Fiction or non-fiction? Genre or literary? Good or bad? The one question that has really stumped me though is who do I want to write about? Do I have a responsibility to write stories about people like me, or am I free to follow my creative urges?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I generally ignore TV and hence don't know much about what's going on nowadays, but from the data I recall seeing, other minorities generally have it worse off than black people in terms of representation. A couple articles:

http://www.c3.ucla.edu/newsstand/art/prime-time-televisions-black-and-white-world/
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/67150...t/study-tv-series-slight-hispanic-characters/

Both of these concern television from almost a decade ago; things might have changed a bit in recent years.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I read the OP, Jam Stunna. You should change the title of the thread if you don't want it interpreted in the way I did. To answer your boldness, you obviously don't have a responsibility to write about any particular subject. But it is probably true that it will likely be African Americans writing stories about African Americans, much like how Caucasians write about Caucasians.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I read the OP, Jam Stunna. You should change the title of the thread if you don't want it interpreted in the way I did.
Really?

Not everyone interprets things the way you do, you shouldn't put your train of though down as being standard.

Just saying brother.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Did you actually read the OP? Because I don't understand how you could have and come away with the idea that the burden itself is lack of media representation. Just in case you didn't, I'll boil it down for you (with easy to understand bolding!):
Ok. Your snarkiness does not change my point but thanks. I mean we're kind of splitting hairs at "the black man's burden is not being represented in the media" and "the black man's burden is the philosophical pressures that come with the thought of representing himself in the media versus not representing himself in the media". Both of those things pale in comparison in my opinion, to "the black man's burden is that a black person can get beaten to death by cops who won't see justice because of institutionalized racism" which is what my entire point was.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Positions should go to actors that are most qualified to fit the role according to the producer/network. I'm not sure of the ethnic composition of actors as an aggregate sum, however minority status insinuates that there would be naturally less ethnic actors than white actors and therefore less of a chance for such actors to attain coveted spots on mainstream television when it comes to a heavy selection process.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well I think he's really more talking about the creators of the content, not the actors who portray the content. I guess it's coming from the perspective of Producers. In order for minorities in America to get more time on screen, the stories that would be relevant to said minorities are currently written only by those same minorities, so that needs to change. But can it? Can white people write about blacks with any kind of accuracy? Will it "ring true" or "hit home" etc. And so does this mean that black writers like Jam HAVE to write about black stuff, because no one else can, or will. This is his dilemma I believe, and to be quite honest, it is quite a pickle that I've never really considered before this blog. As a writer myself and asian, I don't even really think about it... I write total fiction, or science fiction, or fantasy... none of these things normally involve deep seeded minority-driven issues, and if anything I wrote were to be changed to a screenplay, the cast could be made up of any racial blend, and the story wouldn't suffer or benefit at all. I think only gender would be important, really.

Additionally, yes it'd be nice if Hollywood and such started producing more minority-based content. But this brings us back to the product itself, which is TV or movies, which is money, and white folks who make up the majority of the money in this country just don't care to go see a bunch of black people acting black, unless it's a comedy which in turn ends up "making fun" of black stereotypes while hideously confirming them for these same ignorant whites in the theaters and at home. It's a vicious cycle. The only media I see as having a strong impact and not suffering from this is the Hip-Hop industry, which has its own problems (such as promoting womanizing, violence, drug and alcohol abuse, and disrespect to authority).

Top Bottom