• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bugmen:Stanley the Bugman for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie Baki

Smash Cadet

Stanley the Bugman
Stanley is a character you may or may not be familiar with, you probably saw him in melee as a trophy, he's stuck in obscurity and only appeared in 2 games, Greenhouse for Game and Watch and Donkey Kong 3 for the arcade, both obscure games. a obscure character needs space in SSB4, you know what Sakurai said about old characters?

here's a moveset, it's not very detailed and will be worked on to be made better

[COLLAPSE="Moveset (W.I.P)"]B-Bug Spray:a simplistic little shot of spray
Side B-Flower:Stanley holds a flower, serving as a projectile reflection,shield and attack[/COLLAPSE]

now a final smash

[COLLAPSE="Final Smash: Bug attack!"]for this final smash, a ton of bugs attack everyone but Stanley,they're bites do big damage, so watch out![/COLLAPSE]

what do you think? i will work on this!

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I remember a supposed leaker for Brawl tried telling the public that Stanley the Bugman was playable. Obviously, that ended up being incredibly fake.

However, I supposed he would be an interesting addition. Very few people would ever see him coming.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I don't think he stands a chance. I think it would be neat to have a stage of his game though, maybe a sequel to the classic donkey kong stage or a transition. With beehives dropping, and being able to pick them up and throw them.

Problems I see:
The characters main attack is the bug spray, and game and watch already uses it.
The game wasn't nearly as popular as donkey kong or donkey kong jr.
There are far more interesting retro characters they could bring back. imo.

If we get another nintendo arcade character it will probably be sheriff, and donkey kong jr is the second most likely, and probably would beat out his chance of getting in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Although he is highly unlikely, he would be a nice addition.
Some suggestions for the moveset -
make the bug spray chargeable, and allow him to change its direction like Pit's arrows.

:phone:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Alright, who else was only in one game and most people wouldn't care about...Stanley!

STANELY 4 SMASH
This post was made to point out/mock that Stanley has as much credentials to be in Smash 4 as Geno. Honestly I hope he gets in just to piss the Getards off.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Yeah! I think he has as much chances to be in the game as this guy:

I saw him making a brief appearance in Go Vacation, so Namco hasn't forgot of him. Still, the chances of him being in SSB4 are over 9000 against one.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'd love for Stanley to be in the next Smash. However, based on fan suggestions, this might be the worst SSB ever for Donkey Kong with the likes of Mario, Stanley, and K. Rool. ;)

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
You: Who the heck is Stanley the Bugman?

Origin:
Stanley comes from Greenhouse, where bugs are infesting Stanley's Greenhouse and he has to use his bug spray gun to fend them off. What he's mainly known for is Donkey Kong 3. Stanley is yet again being attacks by bugs in his greenhouse, but with DK with them. He uses the Bug Spray Gun to shoot donkey kong and getting his head stuck in a bee hive, while DK is launching bees at him.

Size: About Mario's size
Weight: A little lighter than Sonic
Speed: 5/10
Strength: 6/10

Neutral Special: Bug Spray Beam. Stanley charges his Bug-Spray Gun and lets loose, releasing a beam of air. 10%

Side Special: Spray Cloud. Stanley shoots a cloud in front of him that reflects all projectiles in any direction for 3 seconds

Down Special: Spraysplosion. Stanley puts the head of the gun in the ground and charges, and the clouds get stuck. After a few seconds, it will make an explosion. He longer you pumped, the bigger the explosion. 17%

Up Special: Spray Jump. Stanley aims his bug spray gun downwards and shoots it a bunch, giving him about the boost of Samus's Up Special

Final Smash: Bee Reflection. In Game & Watch Gallery, DK would have his own bug spray gun, and they would play ping pong until one gets stung enough. Bees will come towards Stanley, and he would reflect them back. If a bee hits an opponent, it does 19%

Suggestions wanted

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think you should stick to one character and expand on him rather than making loads of rag-tag character threads.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I honestly prefer Stanley over Jumpman.

He's like the mentally disabled cousin to Mario & Luigi. XD

jk, I would like to see this character return sometime. But I'm sure people will criticize that his only move has been taken over by Mr.Game & Watch's Uair.

But if his moves consist of mostly pushing opponents away with AIR pressure, or poisoning opponents overtime, he could prove to be a very interesting character.

He wouldn't need to be physically involved if he's a "keep away" character.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I supported Stanley for Brawl, I'd still like to see him in SSB4 as an assist trophy, I can picture him using his spray to flowerise characters.

I've always found Stanley fascinating - the way they decided to use him instead of Mario in Donkey Kong 3 is interesting, as is how he wasn't ever used again after that. I suppose him having nothing about his character design, even in his cool Melee redesign, that really stands out is the reason he was never used in the Mario/DK series again. I still wish he'd be brought back in a Mario Kart or sports game.

Speculator

Smash Ace
This post was made to point out/mock that Stanley has as much credentials to be in Smash 4 as Geno. Honestly I hope he gets in just to piss the Getards off.
The difference of course is that Stanley was the main playable character of his single appearance, just like the Ice Climbers or Ness. I think he stands a decent chance compared to Geno.

I think Stanley would be a neat addition. I don't see him mentioned much, and Sakurai seems to be looking at characters like that (if Wii Fit Trainer is any indication). I don't think it's unreasonable for Mr. Game & Watch to be given a new neutral A and for Stanley to take back full command of his bugspray. It would certainly be a challenge to come up with a whole moveset since Stanley only had a single "attack", but then again so did the Ice Climbers.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have a conspiracy theory that Stanley is the 3rd Mario Bro. and saving him from Bowser is the plot of Super Mario 3D World.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The DK wikia page for Stanley seems to think that he's Mario's cousin, though the reference link is broken. I wonder...

I could actually see this guy being fun to play. His shtick could be that his aerials and tilts puff poisonous air in that direction which hurts enemies and pushes them away, but never launches or stuns them. He could be extremely tedious to fight against.

(perhaps he'd be swinging his pump before spritzing, so up close he'd still launch foes).

OR he could switch his spray type with one of his specials! Switch between Gas (damage), Fire (launch), and Liquid Nitrogen (freeze)!

BWA HA HA.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I thought this said "bungman" when I read the title, therefore I support him

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Hello there fellow Stanley fans. I'd like to take this oppertunity to talk, discuss and share with you guys about Stanley the Bugman. You see, Stanley the Bugman is a character that I personally like a lot and I believe that he should be included into Smash Bros more than any other character.

Reason for that is because Stanley is a character that has a big history with Nintendo, now most of you may not agree with me on that part, but let me explain. Back in the beginning of the 80's Miyamoto worked on his first game on the Arcade, which was the original Donkey Kong, which Mario (then known as Jumpman) was main character in and the game did really well.

After that game sold pretty good Miyamoto decided to make a sequel to the game which was called Donkey Kong Jr, and in that game Mario wasn't the main character but instead it was Donkey Kong Jr, (the Donkey Kong we know today) and his game sold fairly decent. It made enough money to spawn a sequel, and that sequel is the one you already know about.

The sequel was later created, and it turned out to be a different kind of genre compared to the other two. Since shooters were a big thing back at that time, Miyamoto decided to mix up both of the games and make a fixed shooter with some platforming. The idea was very original in the series however it didn't sell very well due to the fact that it repeated the same formula as the other arcade shooters that were popular back then. And that is why it sold poorly, so with that failed attempt Miyamoto tried to forget his mistake which lead to Stanley's dissapearance.

In future games which included Stanley (example, the game called Game & Watch Gallery), he unfortunately got replaced by Mario and his crew. And he wasn't seen ever since. While his game got a re-boot for the NES so did every other game from the Arcade. But either way the point I'm trying to get to is that, even though Mario and Donkey Kong made it perfectly fine, I still feel that there should be a chance for Stanley.
He might've failed once with the sales of his Arcade game but if anything I think he should have a second chance. And that second chance should be that he becomes a newcomer in the Super Smash Bros series.

Stanley has actually appeared in the game a couple of times before, but as a cameo. In Super Smash Bros Melee, he was an actual trophy in the game and Mr.Game & Watch has his bug-spray as one of his moves. And in Brawl there were no cameos of Stanley, but Mr. Game & Watch was still playable and he used Stanley's bug-spray in that game as well.

So in this case, I am probably going to recieve messages and replies about the case of Mr.Game & Watch and the fact that he has Stanley's bug-spray as a move in the game,
and personally I can understand their point of view but you gotta understand, just because Mr.Game & Watch has his bug-spray doesn't mean that Stanley's automatically deconfirmed.

That move could always be changed, and the bug-spray can be given to Stanley for use. I already have a moveset for him that would actually work pretty well in the Smash Bros enviroment and probably make him as unique and different from the other characters.

But either way I'm going off track, I believe the reason why Stanley actually should be included is because Mario and Donkey Kong is there, but Stanley isn't. Now if Stanley was added in Smash Bros as a playable character, then we'd have all the protagonists that were in the Donkey Kong trilogy. And that would actually make a lot of sense to do since they did make a history with their games, both good and bad.

Also on a minor note, Stanley actually has his 30th anniversary this year in Japan and I actually decided to work on certain things‏ regarding the character because I believe he needs to have an entire year dedicated to himself, Nintendo already had one with Luigi so why not Stanley as well? He's pretty much a good candidate to have a year dedicated to himself. Because he's 30 years old and that's awesome.

But that's not the only reason, he could also be included because he was the character that actually branched out the Donkey Kong series and made it something different. And in my opinion I think that's worth celebrating the year of Stanley for. And also it's worth celebrating making him a playable character in the new Smash Bros.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I just think the highest status he could attain would be Assist Trophy. He could be a unique AT though by using his spray exclusively upward like in the original game. Most of the time, he could use the regular spray for a burst, but rarely, the burst is a super bug spray burst.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Alright so by the looks of everyone's comment, it seems to me that none of you want Stanley in the game (at least as a playable character). And by the sound of things, you guys seem to want him as an assist trophy just because you're probably not familiar with him or that some of you don't seem to like him.

I can understand that just because it's not your character you want in the game,
doesn't give you the right to put down others hopes by telling them that a certain character should be an assist trophy for some absurd reason. He has every right to be a playable character but not as an assist trophy.

Stanley has appeared in previous Smash Bros games multiple times, so if anything he doesn't have to be an assist trophy cause of it. He should be playable if anything, reason for that is, as I said before in a previous comment. He would offer something new to the character roster plus he'd be a retro newcomer which is something we haven't seen announced yet in the official Smash Bros site.

Stanley actually has a chance to become playable if they were in need of a retro newcomer which I'm sure Sakurai is probably thinking of doing. Because he's done it before in the previous Smash Bros games, we had at least 2 retro characters in each game starting from Melee. In Melee we had the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch.

And in Brawl we actually had Pit and R.O.B as retro characters. And in this upcoming Smash Bros game, I believe we're getting a retro newcomer. We haven't had any announced yet, unless you'd count Little Mac but his franchise had a re-boot so I kinda consider Little Mac to be a special case, in this scenario.

Either way, I'm hopeful for seeing Stanley as the retro newcomer. And I know we've already lost a few retro newcomers the past year of Sakurai's posts, for example we lost characters like Balloon Fighter, Devil, Takamaru, Lark and possibly Lip as well. (Since her stick is unfortunately still an item in the game and there's no sign of her arrival yet). So as I said before, Stanley still has a chance when it comes to reviving the retro newcomer trend. So instead of opposing to that idea, why not come to terms and actually agree with that idea, yeah?

Also, I'm going to burst anyone's bubble here but, as you guys know we had exactly 27 assist trophies in Super Smash Bros Brawl, and so far in the upcoming Smash Bros game we've had 28 assist trophies confirmed. And with the Japanese release a month away, I highly doubt they'd make it above 30. And they have yet to announce every returning assist trophy from Brawl. So I sincerely doubt that Stanley would actually be an assist trophy. If anything he'd make a nice cameo as one of Mr. Game & Watch's moves than being an assist trophy.

Which is why, I find most of everyone's comments amusing, it's likely you guys don't even bother doing some research before commenting (correct me if I'm wrong). Instead you guys decide to be pessimistic about a character that actually has a history with Nintendo. And a character that I believe deserves a spot in the game. Whether he does make it or not, he'd still be in the game but as a cameo once again.

Maybe he has a very slim chance at the moment, due to fact that there probably won't be any more newcomers besides one, (at least at this point). And as it seems right now in this situation, Stanley might turn as a cameo once again, but I'll still keep my hopes up, even if he does end up not being playable. There is always a chance in the next game. (Unless Sakurai confirms himself, that he won't make any further sequels), but that would never happen.

But anyways enough about that, I still hope that Stanley is playable rather than having him as an assist trophy, because having him as an assist trophy. That's just a bunch of bolonge in my opinion. Now that's pretty much all the things I have to say for now, and also I'd like to finish off my comment with a quote from another comment of mine. And with that ladies and gentlemen I bid you good day and good night.

Now I know most of you might not agree with any of this but keep in mind, this is just an opinion.
There's no reason to be offended by it. And just because it doesn't have anything to do about your (certain) character doesn't mean you have to start hating on others, everyone has the right to state their own opinions and thoughts and just because it's not something both agrees on then too bad, someone is different then you. That should be a good thing, because that would mean people are not the same, and people have different opinions and thoughts which would makes us unique from each other.

And also if you happened to be offended by anything I said then I apologise in advance. I'm just stating my opinions and ideas, not everyone has to like it but, if you happened to like it then that's awesome. I would be delighted to hear your opinions and thoughts as well, you can share whatever you want with me and yes, it can be bad and good. It doesn't really matter, as long as it's something you wish to share. I'll be sure to try and be constructive and kind about it.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
No retro newcomer as of yet; Stanley would offer something a little different, and it would be interesting having another member of the Mario family (that is, if the rumors of him being Mario's cousin is true).

And alongside that, as the OP said, Sakurai did want to revive some great (but by now, rotten) characters from the dead, so why the heck not? He also has my support. :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I actually support Stan! The only issue is that he has not appeared for years, and Sakurai would think of him as irrelevant, But I'll hope for him!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Alright so by the looks of everyone's comment, it seems to me that none of you want Stanley in the game (at least as a playable character). And by the sound of things, you guys seem to want him as an assist trophy just because you're probably not familiar with him or that some of you don't seem to like him.

I can understand that just because it's not your character you want in the game,
doesn't give you the right to put down others hopes by telling them that a certain character should be an assist trophy for some absurd reason. He has every right to be a playable character but not as an assist trophy.

Stanley has appeared in previous Smash Bros games multiple times, so if anything he doesn't have to be an assist trophy cause of it. He should be playable if anything, reason for that is, as I said before in a previous comment. He would offer something new to the character roster plus he'd be a retro newcomer which is something we haven't seen announced yet in the official Smash Bros site.

Stanley actually has a chance to become playable if they were in need of a retro newcomer which I'm sure Sakurai is probably thinking of doing. Because he's done it before in the previous Smash Bros games, we had at least 2 retro characters in each game starting from Melee. In Melee we had the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch.

And in Brawl we actually had Pit and R.O.B as retro characters. And in this upcoming Smash Bros game, I believe we're getting a retro newcomer. We haven't had any announced yet, unless you'd count Little Mac but his franchise had a re-boot so I kinda consider Little Mac to be a special case, in this scenario.

Either way, I'm hopeful for seeing Stanley as the retro newcomer. And I know we've already lost a few retro newcomers the past year of Sakurai's posts, for example we lost characters like Balloon Fighter, Devil, Takamaru, Lark and possibly Lip as well. (Since her stick is unfortunately still an item in the game and there's no sign of her arrival yet). So as I said before, Stanley still has a chance when it comes to reviving the retro newcomer trend. So instead of opposing to that idea, why not come to terms and actually agree with that idea, yeah?

Also, I'm going to burst anyone's bubble here but, as you guys know we had exactly 27 assist trophies in Super Smash Bros Brawl, and so far in the upcoming Smash Bros game we've had 28 assist trophies confirmed. And with the Japanese release a month away, I highly doubt they'd make it above 30. And they have yet to announce every returning assist trophy from Brawl. So I sincerely doubt that Stanley would actually be an assist trophy. If anything he'd make a nice cameo as one of Mr. Game & Watch's moves than being an assist trophy.

Which is why, I find most of everyone's comments amusing, it's likely you guys don't even bother doing some research before commenting (correct me if I'm wrong). Instead you guys decide to be pessimistic about a character that actually has a history with Nintendo. And a character that I believe deserves a spot in the game. Whether he does make it or not, he'd still be in the game but as a cameo once again.

Maybe he has a very slim chance at the moment, due to fact that there probably won't be any more newcomers besides one, (at least at this point). And as it seems right now in this situation, Stanley might turn as a cameo once again, but I'll still keep my hopes up, even if he does end up not being playable. There is always a chance in the next game. (Unless Sakurai confirms himself, that he won't make any further sequels), but that would never happen.

But anyways enough about that, I still hope that Stanley is playable rather than having him as an assist trophy, because having him as an assist trophy. That's just a bunch of bolonge in my opinion. Now that's pretty much all the things I have to say for now, and also I'd like to finish off my comment with a quote from another comment of mine. And with that ladies and gentlemen I bid you good day and good night.

Now I know most of you might not agree with any of this but keep in mind, this is just an opinion.
There's no reason to be offended by it. And just because it doesn't have anything to do about your (certain) character doesn't mean you have to start hating on others, everyone has the right to state their own opinions and thoughts and just because it's not something both agrees on then too bad, someone is different then you. That should be a good thing, because that would mean people are not the same, and people have different opinions and thoughts which would makes us unique from each other.

And also if you happened to be offended by anything I said then I apologise in advance. I'm just stating my opinions and ideas, not everyone has to like it but, if you happened to like it then that's awesome. I would be delighted to hear your opinions and thoughts as well, you can share whatever you want with me and yes, it can be bad and good. It doesn't really matter, as long as it's something you wish to share. I'll be sure to try and be constructive and kind about it.

I think he's best as an Assist Trophy. Nobody's putting him down or anything, as for me I'd think it'd be best if he's an Assist Trophy. Yes he could work as a character; I also think it would most suitable for him to be an Assist. I mean, he just sprays stuff. Yes he could have a workable moveset specifically for Smash. I also really like the idea of him being an Assist Trophy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know Mr. J, you should probably be the owner of the Stanley thread. You look like you support Stan more than any of us on this thread. Of course, you should get permission from the owner of this thread and a moderator, of course.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I think he's best as an Assist Trophy. Nobody's putting him down or anything, as for me I'd think it'd be best if he's an Assist Trophy. Yes he could work as a character; I also think it would most suitable for him to be an Assist. I mean, he just sprays stuff. Yes he could have a workable moveset specifically for Smash. I also really like the idea of him being an Assist Trophy.
Oh well in that case,
I apologise for my rash actions. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed too quickly that you were downgrading.
But the reason for my actions was mainly because of the tone you put with your comment, I don't wanna say that's the way you sounded or anything. But that's what I assumed at the time, and I apologise for that.

Either way, I understand you believe that having Stanley as an assist trophy would work, but in my opinion I don't believe that would work, I just can't see it working. And I get it that you think that he doesn't really have much of a chance of becoming playable. But you see I actually think otherwise, I believe Stanley actually has a chance even though it's not that big.

He still does, mainly because of the things I mentioned before. Mario, Donkey Kong are in the game already which are the main protagonists in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. And Stanley is the one left , and he needs to be there with them. So by turning him into a playable character, we would have the whole crew of the Donkey Kong trilogy.

Plus you did also mention that he actually could work as a character, so what is the reason to doubt yourself?
I mean wouldn't you rather prefer to have a playable character than an Assist trophy? Because just so you know, we just got another retro assist trophy announced today.

Luckily it wasn't Stanley but it was rather a Japanese exclusive character that no one knows about. Which is why I think Stanley won't turn into an assist trophy, too many people recognise him enough from the series he originated from which would in this case be Donkey Kong 3. And also he's not a japanese exclusive character, he is infact an international character who's actually had influence in all regions.

So back to my point from before, I respect your opinion, I completely understand your point of view of the situation and I can't say that I deny it, if Stanley turns out to be an assist trophy in the end then more power to you. But if he actually becomes a playable character or at least a cameo from Mr.Game & Watch, then you know for certain that he's actually put into consideration to be used in future plans.

And I'm certain that they wouldn't just ignore him like that. Because he has in fact appeared in other modern games recently like for example, NES Remix for Wii U and Game & Watch Gallery for the DS. His virtual console game has even appeared in both 3DS and Wii U in all regions. So I'm pretty sure that actually indcates something. Feel free to disagree if you wish but I‏ have my points more than clear, thank you for understanding!

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
You know Mr. J, you should probably be the owner of the Stanley thread. You look like you support Stan more than any of us on this thread. Of course, you should get permission from the owner of this thread and a moderator, of course.
Oh why thank you buddy, those words mean a lot to me actually, I appreciate your support. I would love more than anything to be owner of this thread, because I feel like it could use a big update and a refreshment to certain things in this thread.

But the only problem is that I would actually need to have permissions of the original poster if he/she actually would want to offer his thread to someone else, but that wouldn't only be the problem. We'd have to get a moderator that can help us with that but even then.

I'm not sure there'd be a moderator in a time like this in a deserted place like this thread, not to mention I don't think they pay much attention to any posts from this thread. But I could still give it a shot whether it'd turn good or bad. At least I'd make it more active then what it was before.

And also I've been wondering if I actually get the oppertunity to become the new owner, what do you think I should start with?
Do you perhaps have any suggestions you'd like to share, I'm always open for suggestions, since I'm not usually that bright when it comes to thinking up of ideas. So what do you say, are you willing to give me a hand, buddy?

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Stanley only has two things going for him:
Bugspray- Which G&W uses
Bees- There is already a beehive item in smash

Similar to how balloon fighter only had one thing going for him, and villager got it.
Stage/assist trophy/alt costume are just the most likely things going for him.

Also if completion was a thing, we'd have Waluigi playable.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Bugspray- Which G&W uses

Similar to how balloon fighter only had one thing going for him, and villager got it.

Pretty much this. What he has going for him has already been covered in the game. He probably won't be playable for the reasons the likes of Balloon Fighter aren't playable.
Oh well in that case,
I apologise for my rash actions. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed too quickly that you were downgrading.
But the reason for my actions was mainly because of the tone you put with your comment, I don't wanna say that's the way you sounded or anything. But that's what I assumed at the time, and I apologise for that.

Either way, I understand you believe that having Stanley as an assist trophy would work, but in my opinion I don't believe that would work, I just can't see it working. And I get it that you think that he doesn't really have much of a chance of becoming playable. But you see I actually think otherwise, I believe Stanley actually has a chance even though it's not that big.

He still does, mainly because of the things I mentioned before. Mario, Donkey Kong are in the game already which are the main protagonists in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. And Stanley is the one left , and he needs to be there with them. So by turning him into a playable character, we would have the whole crew of the Donkey Kong trilogy.

Plus you did also mention that he actually could work as a character, so what is the reason to doubt yourself?
I mean wouldn't you rather prefer to have a playable character than an Assist trophy? Because just so you know, we just got another retro assist trophy announced today.

Luckily it wasn't Stanley but it was rather a Japanese exclusive character that no one knows about. Which is why I think Stanley won't turn into an assist trophy, too many people recognise him enough from the series he originated from which would in this case be Donkey Kong 3. And also he's not a japanese exclusive character, he is infact an international character who's actually had influence in all regions.

So back to my point from before, I respect your opinion, I completely understand your point of view of the situation and I can't say that I deny it, if Stanley turns out to be an assist trophy in the end then more power to you. But if he actually becomes a playable character or at least a cameo from Mr.Game & Watch, then you know for certain that he's actually put into consideration to be used in future plans.

And I'm certain that they wouldn't just ignore him like that. Because he has in fact appeared in other modern games recently like for example, NES Remix for Wii U and Game & Watch Gallery for the DS. His virtual console game has even appeared in both 3DS and Wii U in all regions. So I'm pretty sure that actually indcates something. Feel free to disagree if you wish but I‏ have my points more than clear, thank you for understanding!
Don't worry about it, it's the Internet, it's easy to misinterpret things in negative ways without much intent to do so.

I've played Donkey Kong 3, in fact it was one of the first games I've ever played. I remember wanting Stanley to appear playable in Smash Bros. and other Mario games at certain points.

Yet, with his few appearances in games (mostly older games at that), he's not very recognizable, although memorable to those who have played games with him in it. I don't think he has much going for him.

Also DK Jr. is the current Donkey Kong's father, which means Diddy is not DK Jr.

I admire your support for sure. But given what we've seen, and given that fact that what he has going for him has already been implemented in the game without him, I just don't think he has a chance to be playable in this Smash Bros.

If you ask me, I'd rather him be a playable character in Mario Kart or some Mario spinoff; even so, he's not exactly a Mario character. Maybe an appearance in Mario vs. Donkey Kong? Idk.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh why thank you buddy, those words mean a lot to me actually, I appreciate your support. I would love more than anything to be owner of this thread, because I feel like it could use a big update and a refreshment to certain things in this thread.

But the only problem is that I would actually need to have permissions of the original poster if he/she actually would want to offer his thread to someone else, but that wouldn't only be the problem. We'd have to get a moderator that can help us with that but even then.

I'm not sure there'd be a moderator in a time like this in a deserted place like this thread, not to mention I don't think they pay much attention to any posts from this thread. But I could still give it a shot whether it'd turn good or bad. At least I'd make it more active then what it was before.

And also I've been wondering if I actually get the oppertunity to become the new owner, what do you think I should start with?
Do you perhaps have any suggestions you'd like to share, I'm always open for suggestions, since I'm not usually that bright when it comes to thinking up of ideas. So what do you say, are you willing to give me a hand, buddy?
Why, of course! But only if you help me with my Alice (Balloon Kid) support thread!:) The thing is, I kind of created the thread the day RIGHT BEFORE Prince Sable, the main protagonist of the Japan-only Game Boy classic, "For the Frogs, The Bells Toll" and one of the most wanted retro characters to be playable in SSB4, got de-confirmed to be playable for the game as an AT, so everyone's sort of flocking like attendants to a funeral to Prince Sable's thread today, and Alice hasn't gotten any responses today. Also, if you could help me out with my Pilot Wings thread, it'd be greatly appreciated!:b: BTW, I don't suppose you support Alice and someone from Pilot Wings being playable, do you? It would help both of their support lists!:lol:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Bugspray- Which G&W uses

I don't want to sound repetitive but unfortunately people seem to want me to repeat myself over and over again.
I already mentioned the case with Mr. Game & Watch. Just because Mr. Game & Watch happened to use the bug-spray, it doesn't mean Stanley the Bugman is instantly confirmed. He can alternative his one move if Stanley were to make it into the roster and use something else that he has in the Mr.Game & Watch games.

Plus what's wrong with having two bug-sprays, just because a character uses a weapon that belongs to someone else, doesn't mean that both of them can use it. Just look at Fox and Falco for example, they both use blasters. And they still work different from each other. Same goes for the case with Mr. Game & Watch and Stanley the Bugman, they might use the same weapon but they can still differ from each other in one way or another.

Also as for the bees, they're not even from Donkey Kong 3, I noticed. They are taken from the Animal Crossing Series which is a completely different kind, then where it is in Stanley's game. If you've played his game you would probably know this. But I might assume too soon by thinking that you haven't actually played his game. But either way, I shouldn't assume to quickily. So let's move on from that shall we?

Oh right, the case of Balloon Fighter. I believe his chances was minimized just because Sakurai couldn't come up with a moveset for him, which is why he decided to use his balloons on Villager which is a shame indeed but yeah there's nothing we can do about it at this point, Balloon Fighter is unfortunately deconfirmed just because of the lack of ideas for a moveset for him.

As for stage appearance, I doubt they'd make a Donkey Kong 3 stage just like that, knowing Sakurai I believe he'll probably make a stage based on Donkey Kong Jr. And perhaps have a cameo of the old Donkey Kong from the NES once again, since he already used the prequel as a stage in Brawl and I have a difficult time seeing it being brought back again since there was pretty much no one that actually liked that stage. But I might be wrong about that, we never know. Sakurai is unpredictable after all.

Assist, nah can't see it happening because of the things I already mentioned before. He's far too unique to be put as an assist trophy, there has already been a huge set of characters with plenty of potential wasted, in the assist line. It even surprised me that Waluigi got turned into an assist trophy dispite him having so many fans, but it goes to show that Sakurai is in fact unpredictable.

By the way about his alternative coustume, how would that work? Mr.Game & Watch is 2-D so that wouldn't work at all.
As for Mario, he already has his set of alternative coustumes and I don't think he'd get more than what he already has now, besides even if he needed an alternative coustume wouldn't it make sense to put him as Dr.Mario instead since it'd make more sense because they're both the same character.

But yeah, either way we'll see how things turn out, at the moment it doesn't look too bright for Stanley but you never know, Sakurai could surprise us one way or another so I'm not holding my breath yet.

Pretty much this. What he has going for him has already been covered in the game. He probably won't be playable for the reasons the likes of Balloon Fighter aren't playable.

Don't worry about it, it's the Internet, it's easy to misinterpret things in negative ways without much intent to do so.

I've played Donkey Kong 3, in fact it was one of the first games I've ever played. I remember wanting Stanley to appear playable in Smash Bros. and other Mario games at certain points.

Yet, with his few appearances in games (mostly older games at that), he's not very recognizable, although memorable to those who have played games with him in it. I don't think he has much going for him.

Also DK Jr. is the current Donkey Kong's father, which means Diddy is not DK Jr.

I admire your support for sure. But given what we've seen, and given that fact that what he has going for him has already been implemented in the game without him, I just don't think he has a chance to be playable in this Smash Bros.

If you ask me, I'd rather him be a playable character in Mario Kart or some Mario spinoff; even so, he's not exactly a Mario character. Maybe an appearance in Mario vs. Donkey Kong? Idk.
Oh thank you I appreciate your kind words.
And seeing the circumstances with each character I can't say I find it hard to believe. Since we already got Villager and Wii Fit Trainer two completely unpredictable characters no one expected to see in the upcoming Smash, and they made it in dispite having more things against them then for them.

So I do understand where you're coming from with your thoughts on the situation. But yeah, you gotta know that Stanley is in fact a part of Nintendo whether it'd be small or big he did help out during the Arcade games, and while he was forgotten ever since was mainly because of the market they offered at the time which is why I believe they never bothered reviving him again.

But in recent years I've noticed him appearing quite often as a cameo or playable but in a minor roll.
Either way I get where you're coming from when you do say that you believe he won't be playable.
But in my case, I would say otherwise.

Also just a minor correction by the way, Donkey Kong Jr isn't Donkey Kong's current father, but he is actually the Donkey Kong we know today. And the old Donkey Kong that Jumpman fought back in the day is actually Cranky Kong. Also you're right about that Diddy Kong is not Donkey Kong Jr. But instead Diddy Kong is actually Donkey Kong's best friend.

Also thank you, I appreciate it once again, and I'll admit, I think his chances are very slim at the situation right now and I'll be honest about something else, I believe that if he doesn't actually make it in this Smash Bros game, he will just remain as a cameo once again. Not as an assist trophy and not as a palette swap, but as a trophy, sticker or even as one of Mr.Game & Watch's move.

That is actually what I believe he will remain as. But we'll see about that for now, since nothing is impossible after all.
By the way, I actually consider Stanley to be his own character since he doesn't affect anything in any Mario games or Donkey Kong games, except for one. Which is Donkey Kong 3. So having him as a playable character in Mario game wouldn't be outta question but it wouldn't make much sense either. Seeing how Mario and Stanley have never met each other at all. But who knows, they might do it someday in the future, nothing's impossible y'know.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Why, of course! But only if you help me with my Alice (Balloon Kid) support thread!:) The thing is, I kind of created the thread the day RIGHT BEFORE Prince Sable, the main protagonist of the Japan-only Game Boy classic, "For the Frogs, The Bells Toll" and one of the most wanted retro characters to be playable in SSB4, got de-confirmed to be playable for the game as an AT, so everyone's sort of flocking like attendants to a funeral to Prince Sable's thread today, and Alice hasn't gotten any responses today. Also, if you could help me out with my Pilot Wings thread, it'd be greatly appreciated!:b: BTW, I don't suppose you support Alice and someone from Pilot Wings being playable, do you? It would help both of their support lists!:lol:
Sure by all means, I'm willing to give you a hand if you need any.
So count me in buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom