• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
IT'S A TRAP
Samus' up B has invincible startup, don't jab it unless you want to die take a lot of some percents.
Go to training mode or have a friend play with you. Falcon's jab stops Samus UP+B the same way Pit's jab stops it the same way Fox's uptilt stops it LMAO. MK and Marth UP+B are the ones that you gotta worry about, not Samus.

Why would i lie about this?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I remember watching those sets back in 2010 I think. He got wrecked by dair cuz falcon is booty trying to recover from below and he's forced to a lot of the time anyway, and dair is like a big meaty ****. In those games I see a lot of things royr could have done better, i'ma be all up in yo blind spots.

How do you guys feel about the Nair setups? I can do them, FH nair and nair in general are kinda hard to space for that stuff. Granted if I get a nair setup i can do the footstool's and such.

up b out of shield when it's jab 1 is canceled, if you multi-jab samus' shield then her up b can **** you. The timing to cancel the up b on the ground and out of shield are kinda weird at first but totally able to be preformed.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I remember watching those sets back in 2010 I think. He got wrecked by dair cuz falcon is booty trying to recover from below and he's forced to a lot of the time anyway, and dair is like a big meaty ****. In those games I see a lot of things royr could have done better, i'ma be all up in yo blind spots.
Yeah at that time we had no falcon mains so Dojo and Royr used him in LT events. Dojos was better but RoyRs was a close second.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Samus does have a wonderful uair.
It would be a shame if someone were to...
Utilt her.

:secretkpop:

In all seriousness though, having a Samus approach you on Battlefield can be scarier than a Meta Knight. Like an Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!" scary. :c

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Yeah I was jumping way to much, trying to get into blind spots. I think true pivots and stuff would be helpful as well. FK was great as well (for once), but I tried not to do that to much. I got trapped in my shield a lot as well, gotta power shield better there I imagine. Didn't even try out raptor boost lol, I was in mid/long range for most of the matches.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
gentlemen sucks in brawl use the first two hits or one followed by grab. Down throw to up air is character dependent, but you should be able to land it fairly frequently on most of the cast.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Bleh.

Gentleman does as much damage as the first 2 jabs combined, use it as a mixup during your jab cancels. It's not safe on block tho so don't use it on your opponent's shield.

Dthrow to Uair is almost never guaranteed, but if you do it fast enough at low/mid percents the opponent can't do anything but dodge, and they will get hit if they're too slow to react.
In short use it but don't abuse it. It's not guaranteed so always keep mixing it up.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a little late, but i would like to know something too. When it comes to running and stopping mid place with falcon and instantly smashing left/right or down. I've seen lord helmet do that in one of his tech videos, and i wanted to know if it was something i could be told how to do. If it's a lord helmet exclusive then i understand, to each his own, but i just thought it would be nice to have.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Gent is useful for dealing damage as a mixup, and you can cancel its lag with gentleman canceling.

Rapidjab is bad and should never be used.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Gentleman canceling for two reasons:

1. It's good for random pressure and can land you pseudo-grabs / short hop knees / jump over bairs.
2. Each time you do the first hit of the jab when gentleman canceling, it counts as a separate hit for unstaling your other moves.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Falcons got some questions with explanations:
  • Known about Ledge-hop U-airs for edge-guarders but did a RB to ledge-grab, same thing happened with Ledge-hop N-air which I've never done much but did without RB and we fall through ledge-level having to dive recover. Felt great doing it but Is it viable to consider? Maybe for ledge-hogging too soon and go for a FF+DJ+RB to grab with invinci-frames or youledge-drop to DJ backward and RB for a possible spike?

• U-air > footstool is do-able but besides a Footstool > FK, is RB possible from footstool(and safe)?

• I understand SH > U-air can follow-up with landing FK, but you can get a different animation within 8 frames or less (almost auto-cancels entirely). What's the frame statistics on a falcon knee drop? :smirk:

Ieven

Smash Cadet
It's hard for me to do the Dair cancel with Falcon cause i jump with X. Anyone has a tips for me ?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
It's hard for me to do the Dair cancel with Falcon cause i jump with X. Anyone has a tips for me ?

Play on stages like Yoshi's Island (Brawl), and practice short hopping Dairs towards the center of the stage. Reason for this is because Yoshi's stage center under the platform is lower than the rest of the stage. When you have your short hop Dairs down try doing it on flat stages. Practice fast inputs of Dair right as your jumping with X

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo

I also jump with X, and I dair cancel by quickly sliding my thumb from X to A. You can try rolling your thumb, too.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
I'll try, thanks.

Another question, Captain falcon has the re-grab on MK ?

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Is the air release to regrab/usmsah timing too strict? I see people dropping it all the time.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Regrab isn't, but the usmash timing is strict, strict enough to make me think it's not actually possible.

I just go for air release -> Uair/ Nair/ Dash attack.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You have to buffer the regrab pretty quickly. I never drop it offline, but 9/10, I drop it after the first or second regrab during netplay. lol

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Let me ask you guys something. This is more of a THREE parter kind of question. Alright so I'm about to purchase a Wii U and a couple of things came to mind. I was curious do the gamecube controllers work with the Wii U? If not thats cool....I guess. I was going to buy Brawl again just for that HD "1080p" this leads me to the other question. Will I still be able to play online? ANDDD finally..
SSB4 (Wii U Smash Bros) If you can't use the A gamecube controller how is all of it going to work. I'm looking at the pro controller and it...idk I mean it seems like it would work..but idk..
Appreciate you guys/girls response

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There are no GC ports on the Wii U, but there's a third party wiimote > NGC adaptator somewhere on the internet, look in the ssb4 subforums there should be some info.

You should be able to play brawl online on a Wii U since all it does is emulate the Wii for Wii games (that means you can hack the Wii emulator the same way you hack your wii lol).

And about playing Smash without a GC controller idk, I managed to do so on 64 so it should be possible to adapt. It'll be hard to change 12 years old habits but eh.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
There are no GC ports on the Wii U, but there's a third party wiimote > NGC adaptator somewhere on the internet, look in the ssb4 subforums there should be some info.

You should be able to play brawl online on a Wii U since all it does is emulate the Wii for Wii games (that means you can hack the Wii emulator the same way you hack your wii lol).

And about playing Smash without a GC controller idk, I managed to do so on 64 so it should be possible to adapt. It'll be hard to change 12 years old habits but eh.
Thanks bro just curious. Trying to get back into Brawl, get some of the ring rust off. You still play teluoborg?

PZ

Smash Lord
How does falcon get back on stage from the ledge? I usually jump if there is a nice comfortable platform to land on but when there isn't I see myself going for the other ledge options. In which case a player that knows how to cover ledge options or spaces moves that hit characters off edges will hit me most of the time. :(
I suck at getting back on stage from ledge...what do?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
ledge hop up air regrabs probably the safest move to throw out on the ledge against an edge guard. On FD you can wall jump bair which is safe but will waste your second jump possibly setting you up to get gimped.

It's pretty tough for falcon especially if you have RCO lag from raptor boost or falcon dive. Normally I try to land on stage (when recovering)rather than getting stuck with rco lag on the ledge.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Step 1 is to not get afraid of RCO. If you do you're gonna focus on it and become predictable. Sometimes it's much easier to ledge attack or ledge roll your way through your opponent and then run away to get rid of the RCO in a safe place.
So never forget it but never stress too much about it.

Step 2 would be understanding your options from the ledge and use them accordingly. Falcon has no "get back on stage free" move, because his ledge getup is horrible compared to the rest of the cast.

Your best options are :
-Ledge drop jump regrab. Buys time and refreshes your invincibility (very important). Use it so you don't get stagespiked by some weird move like Peach's Dsmash.
-Ledge drop jump Uair. Good range, unpunishable, forces your opponent to stay at a certain distance from the ledge.
-Ledge drop up B. Kills shielders or people that want to throw a slow move. Super effective against people that don't know the matchup. Abuse its apex mobility and its land sliding in case you whiff.
-Ledge drop jump land canceled Nair. Both hits work, especially the second since people always forget to shield it. Also works with Uair.
-Ledge drop jump airdodge. Just say "**** it" and bear through the RCO like a real man. Good versus opponents that use fast moves with long cooldowns.
-Ledge jump anything. Under 100% Falcon's ledge jump is actually one of the best in the game because you keep some activable invicibility frames. Pretty good to get away on a nearby platform.
Etc etc, just assess the pros and cons of everything, because every option will help you one day.

Step 3 would be to keep cool and not commit. I know you can feel pressed when you're on the stage but seriously don't hurry yourself. Wait for your opponent to make the first move, or at least for the momentum to wear down. You'll get back safely much more often if you watch for your opponent's positionning, or if you bait them with ledge drop jump regrabs.

One last thing I'll add is that you can ledge cancel your RCO on BF (and SV but it's harder) by ledge jumping and landing on the edge of a platform while drifting forward at full speed. If done correctly you should immediately fall off the edge, ready to perform any aerial.

#walloftext

Top Bottom