• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Winnar

Smash Lord
I actually use n-air to approach taller characters and characters who I think will usually approach with a jump. Except for Marth. Marth you have to be tricksies against.

I use it OCCASIONALLY offstage, if they're recovering from a very specific area I'll double jump to n-air to cover the area I expect them to be. Or against Ganon.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I actually use n-air to approach taller characters and characters who I think will usually approach with a jump. Except for Marth. Marth you have to be tricksies against.

I use it OCCASIONALLY offstage, if they're recovering from a very specific area I'll double jump to n-air to cover the area I expect them to be. Or against Ganon.
Ugh... I try not to use anything in the air against Ganon. As long as we're still talking offstage combat...

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Who uses 360 falcon punches? They're extremely unpredictable and AWESOME. :D

Not AMAZINGLY useful, but its alot less situational then say, normal falcon punch, since you can use it to air control back to the stage in a fiery bird.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Ugh... I try not to use anything in the air against Ganon. As long as we're still talking offstage combat...
wat

Ganon is so easy to beat up offstage if you know how.

Also 360 falcon punches are fun, I've been trying to do more falcon punches (one per match if I'm thinking about it). It's not TOTALLY unusable (like the warlock punch), but it does take some tricksy mindgames to pull off, so I'm practicing.

Can't pull off a falcon punch if I never throw it, is what I realized.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
wat

Ganon is so easy to beat up offstage if you know how.

Also 360 falcon punches are fun, I've been trying to do more falcon punches (one per match if I'm thinking about it). It's not TOTALLY unusable (like the warlock punch), but it does take some tricksy mindgames to pull off, so I'm practicing.

Can't pull off a falcon punch if I never throw it, is what I realized.
I'm just always afraid of being murderchoked to my doom.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Once I get my capture card back I'll upload a match or two why Falcon ***** Ganon.

You'll be like "Oh, is that all?"

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I got a question, even though it's not really related specificaly to Douglas I'd prefer having it answered by another Falcon main since I know you guys are cool lol

There is this term I see used very often, 'mindgames', yet there are other terms I see like 'baiting', 'reading' the opponent and maybe others I'm forgeting.

Most of the time I see the word mindgame I have the feeling another word like baiting could be much more apropriated. eg: Sonic running back and forth until the enemy use some move then going in to attack omg mindgamzz

Ok so the question is... is it just me or most if not all 'mindgames' are in fact just baiting and smart reading of the opponent's actions? (or maybe people know and use 'mindgames' because it make them sound really smart)

Sorry if I'm totally missunderstanding the term 'mindgame', I'm still sort of new to this whole serious smash thing but I really see this term thrown around at nearly anything. (and if 'mindgames' is a global term for 'baiting, reading, etc' people should be clearer)

Thanks you anyone who take the time to clear this up for me without flaming because I know how much this word seem to be loved.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I got a question, even though it's not really related specificaly to Douglas I'd prefer having it answered by another Falcon main since I know you guys are cool lol

There is this term I see used very often, 'mindgames', yet there are other terms I see like 'baiting', 'reading' the opponent and maybe others I'm forgeting.

Most of the time I see the word mindgame I have the feeling another word like baiting could be much more apropriated. eg: Sonic running back and forth until the enemy use some move then going in to attack omg mindgamzz

Ok so the question is... is it just me or most if not all 'mindgames' are in fact just baiting and smart reading of the opponent's actions? (or maybe people know and use 'mindgames' because it make them sound really smart)

Sorry if I'm totally missunderstanding the term 'mindgame', I'm still sort of new to this whole serious smash thing but I really see this term thrown around at nearly anything. (and if 'mindgames' is a global term for 'baiting, reading, etc' people should be clearer)

Thanks you anyone who take the time to clear this up for me without flaming because I know how much this word seem to be loved.
Mindgames cannot really be defined; there are infinite variables as to how mindgames work. It's more than just "tricking your opponent into being where you want them". It's an application of technical skill, mixed with predictions of how your opponent will react. It begins to be less of a prediction, and more of a manipulation of your opponent.

In a sense, since mindgames cant be defined, baiting and reading can be categories of the mindgame process.

Roager

Smash Ace
Mindgames cannot really be defined; there are infinite variables as to how mindgames work. It's more than just "tricking your opponent into being where you want them". It's an application of technical skill, mixed with predictions of how your opponent will react. It begins to be less of a prediction, and more of a manipulation of your opponent.

In a sense, since mindgames cant be defined, baiting and reading can be categories of the mindgame process.
I thusly support using more specific terms than "mindgame" in all possible cases.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
No. I stole the idea from the Falco boards.

Pivot-Jump-Up smash

If you input those very fast while dashing, Falcon will Up smash while sliding backwards.

Player-3

Smash Hero
When will MY highlight vi-

oh wait, no wii
]:

although, me and p1 pull the best wombo combo a diddy and a falcon will ever pull in the history of barlwabrlwa
it was pretty cool

im glad it was on a rob
i hate robs

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
when will I release MY next highlight vi-

no computer.
=(
besides I don't have the patience to make one. id rather upload some good 1v1 sets.

Winnar

Smash Lord
When will Winnar's combo video be released?
Probably by the end of May, I don't get my capture card back until sometime within the next two weeks. Moving is weird like that. So yeah I haven't even started compiling the clips I'm going to use.

Once I actually start on it you guys will be the first to know :D

Also I tend to enjoy combo vids in brawl more than 1v1 vids. With Melee both were awesome.

Mostly though I enjoy those short 10 second clips where something stupid and/or hilarious happens.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Probably by the end of May, I don't get my capture card back until sometime within the next two weeks. Moving is weird like that. So yeah I haven't even started compiling the clips I'm going to use.

Once I actually start on it you guys will be the first to know :D

Also I tend to enjoy combo vids in brawl more than 1v1 vids. With Melee both were awesome.

Mostly though I enjoy those short 10 second clips where something stupid and/or hilarious happens.
all brawl combo videos are boring to me. besides, someone can suck bad, take their best clips, put em together, and look pro.

Krackatoa

Ottawa eSports Illuminati
QUESTION TIEM!

How do you personally bait for the Knee? Obviously, simply fast-falling and throwing it out head on is a bit silly... and do/can you use it if you predict a roll, or only on platforms like in Battlefield?

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Umm, I don't think predicting a roll would work, but I guess I haven't really tried it. I either knee extremely laggy recoveries (D3's), or near the blastline at relatively low percents for quick KOs. Otherwise, I may throw a knee out intermittently, or backflip behind someone then knee, but it's not too effective really, especially when the opponent has an almost full shield, and you get grabbed a lot against competent opponents. Offstage is a pretty good place to try a knee, provided you are in an advantageous position (as in, if you miss, you don't get gimped because your opponent is just trying to get back onstage). If you hit a flubbed knee, a uair is pretty much guaranteed unless they airdodge, in which case they are likely dead, unless they were an opponent with a crazy recovery that it wasn't a good idea to edgeguard offstage anyway. Hope that helped.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
bait an airdodge then knee after. sometimes I jab>jab>jump>knee on grounded opponents with poor OOS options.

Winnar

Smash Lord
all brawl combo videos are boring to me. besides, someone can suck bad, take their best clips, put em together, and look pro.
Yes they can, but it's really easy to tell if their opponents suck (look at the DI, for one; if they tech anything at all that's another thing)

It's pretty easy to see if they're actually good or if they just have decent clips.

That said there have only been like 3 or 4 combo videos I've just loved watching. (Santi's latest, I think Ryko's latest of himself (not the Ike boards), uh...some others D: )

Also on the knee. I don't know. I don't consciously try to set up knees. Sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't.

The only time I might consciously go for a success knee is if they land on a platform and I want to try techchasing to knee (which is sexy). Oh and I use it as a combo breaker every now and then. It's kind of funny how it'll hit the weird non-disjointed hitboxes of people and it'll seem like you kneed them from so far away (example: I knee'd the first hit of a falcon n-air from far away, I think I have the replay too)

Oh, but on the subject of knees, I use the gimp knee CONSTANTLY. It is seriously amazing. Even better is when you miss the gimp knee and accidentally get a success knee. That is sex.

Mit

Smash Ace

In summary, mindgames vary per person, per situation. You can't make a definite thread of something that has no definition.
If you want to get technical, sure, mindgames are knowing your opponent, therefore, how could mindgames be replicated against all opponents?

They can't, but every opponent is not 100% different from others. There are lots of habits and things you can do to bait or predict with many opponents. One common one, is players who tend to double jump and counterattack when you throw them past the ledge. If they aren't ready for Falcon's speed, you can easily full hop double jump to where they are, and meet their double jump with a knee or uair. A general mindgame like this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Or like in the How to Falcon Punch video, running at an opponent who is recovering high and expecting you to attack them, but stopping short of the ledge, jumping straight up, and charging a falcon punch. If they thought you were going to jump out and hit them, someone like Link might do a fair to stop you, but they'll instead whiff the fair and land right into your falcon punch.

Also d-throwing and baiting airdodges to punish.

That's the kind of stuff you could make a thread out of (although I wouldn't recommend some archived first post and all that mess, just a casual thread where we share casual mindgames that people can browse through).

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Screw mindgames...
read to this super secret post.

Does a thread exist yet that catalogs all of the alleged ways to fight Falcon from different character specific threads? If one doesn't, then we should all do some research and come up with some info.

For instance, I was just on the G&W boards, and for their Falcon match up chart they said it was 80/20 in G&W's favor. This may be accurate, but for Falcon's kill moves they mentioned Fsmash and the knee.

No dsmash. Hah! Also, they said stay away from Norfair, but I doubt they know about Distant Planet and Jungle **** as being good Falcon stages. Lets pool together this knowledge and create a super secret lame sounding thread that really discuss the mysterious and esoteric ways in which we can overcome our enemies, utilizing their lack of information and ignorance!

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Screw mindgames...
read to this super secret post.

Does a thread exist yet that catalogs all of the alleged ways to fight Falcon from different character specific threads? If one doesn't, then we should all do some research and come up with some info.

For instance, I was just on the G&W boards, and for their Falcon match up chart they said it was 80/20 in G&W's favor. This may be accurate, but for Falcon's kill moves they mentioned Fsmash and the knee.

No dsmash. Hah! Also, they said stay away from Norfair, but I doubt they know about Distant Planet and Jungle **** as being good Falcon stages. Lets pool together this knowledge and create a super secret lame sounding thread that really discuss the mysterious and esoteric ways in which we can overcome are enemies, utilizing their lack of information and ignorance!
Good adjectives, and that's a great idea, although we'd have to take into account that the other boards know a lot about their character, but not much about Falcon, like you said.

About kill moves on G&W, I hyphen smash :cool:. He can bucket brake and has a crazy horizontal recovery, so it's usually best to kill him off the top.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
for gnw, I abuse utilt with its insane spacing and priority, I also like single hit nair as it pops that little sucker right up into my dsmash. I stay away from his up b, it has mad skillz y0

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea that could be effective for every falcon player. It's a character match-up based on tournament experienced. That way we could have actual information instead of if this happened of if falcon could that. We could be able to evaluate a character based on experienced. No lvl 9 com, online matches, or with friends you play with alot.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I have an idea that could be effective for every falcon player. It's a character match-up based on tournament experienced. That way we could have actual information instead of if this happened of if falcon could that. We could be able to evaluate a character based on experienced. No lvl 9 com, online matches, or with friends you play with alot.
Ideally this IS what the match up thread is supposed to be. The only problem with that is that the number of "pro" falcons in brawl in all of brawl's history...well you can count the number on one hand probably.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
^I listen to everyone on the falcon boards because everyone is better than me...
xD =D =) =| )= D= Dx

where did that come from anyway?

Top Bottom