• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's funny because with the tether changes Ivysaur would probably be a good character in this game lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good old Ivysaur...oh nostalgia.

How good do you think Squirtle would be today? I was such a noob back in Brawl that I only really know its specials.
oh it killed the thread /tears
I'm so sorry.
I'm a disgrace to Zards mains everywhere.
/Also tears

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I second Charizard, I was kinda curious to see how dead it was here... I think he's great, I destroy with him. People just aren't paying attention I guess.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Here is, I think, the truth about Charizard and how his moveset fits with the rest of the roster.

I think he's a character with a lot of tricks that can catch people off guard for a lot of reward, but they are, alas, tricks. The best characters in the game don't need to rely on being tricky - they are just plain good. I mean, the character is never going to be very popular barring some insane AT discovery, so the small group of dedicated Zards should be able to feast on matchup inexperience for a while. Charizard is AMAZING at punishing mistakes, whether that be telegraphed attacks or whiffs or whatever, but the best characters in the game are the best because they don't have to take as much of a risk to get a strong reward out of their moveset... OR to get out of bad situations. This is where Charizard struggles a lot compared to most characters. So Zard often gets punished pretty hard because of his big size and comparatively slow hitboxes. Basically, this makes the Zard matchups very heavily predicated on which player makes the fewest mistakes... the best characters are pretty safe while still pressuring you (Diddy, Sheik, Yoshi) or make it very hard for you to pressure them (Rosalina, Diddy again, Zero Suit). But against the more balanced characters, yeah, Charizard does pretty well I think. Like, even then, most players of top tier characters will still have habits or whatever that you can take advantage of if you are good enough... so I believe Zard can do pretty well in tournament and carry you sort of far. But you gotta be really good. Really good players are gonna play better characters because it's easier/more reliable to place higher. Regardless of how good he actually might be, he'll always be underrepresented and undervalued in the tier list.

tl;dr He's a solid high-mid tier character. Like, in the #15-20 range.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Can someone tell me how to consistently land short hop Fair into jab with no lag?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Good old Ivysaur...oh nostalgia.

How good do you think Squirtle would be today? I was such a noob back in Brawl that I only really know its specials.
I'm so sorry.
I'm a disgrace to Zards types everywhere.
/Also tears
Squirtle would be pretty okay, though probably low tier. It had great air speed with great forward and back aerials and solid other aerials. Waterfall was really the only good special. He has a great grab with decent throw reward and d-throw killed at very high percent. U-smash was a great smash attack, but the only good one. Jab was good and all the tilts were pretty good.

I think this may be my 1st post in the Charizard forums or something like that so hi guys. :)

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Guys what's Charizards best custom set? I'm really liking dragon rush and rising cyclone as his two customs and remain eveyrthing at default. I wanna use fire fang but I don't know what to do with it.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I've found Fly High to be useful so that you can edgeguard deep with Dragon Rush and d-air and Fire Fang seems viable thanks to the bit of knockback on the final hit compensating for the lack of range.

Out of curiosity, why Rock Hurl over Rock Smash? Is it because the extra damage on the latter not worth it over the extra fragment distance?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's primarily because it has more range than Rock Smash and also because frame 1 super armor is ~balanced~

Blaxton

Smash Rookie
I have been a long time Smash player and have decided to main Charizard going into my first tournament in quite a while. Can someone point me to some solid videos of a Pro Charizard player so that I can study? I have had issues finding quality videos with quality players.

On another note: I feel there is a general understanding that he is not good. I do not understand? I feel like he has the move-set to be effective but obviously has trouble in certain areas.

-Blaxton

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
The main issues Charizard has is dealing with projectile users and being juggled.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
he suffers much less with projectiles than ganon/dk, at least (Flamethrower, dash attack @_@)
has more options to land too

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good idea. We should make one. I would even be willing to run that whole thing, I have more than enough time for that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Maybe consider what we did with the Greninja boards matchup thread?

http://smashboards.com/threads/mast...o-bowser-2-23-3-2.369356/page-6#post-18216696
I expect the Greninja boards to be a little more active than the Zard boards, so I would probably go with max 2 or 3 characters at a time. Working from top to bottom of course. Discussing Sheik and such is much more important compared to how we deal with Dark Pit.
Any kind of template is really helpful to save everyone's time. No need to invent the wheel again. I'll look what I can steal.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
So what's the deal with the pebbles flying in the original direction you were facing when reversing Rock Smash? It's bitten me on the ass on more than one occasion, but I guess it's also good for covering your behind if the opponent somehow managed to get there.

It's especially gross when reversing Rock Hurl.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Hey, could I get a sparring partner? I'm trying to perfect Charizard in Smash 4 3DS, but i don't have anyone to practice with other than CPUs, which really aren't any good. PM me for my friend code!

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
So what's the deal with the pebbles flying in the original direction you were facing when reversing Rock Smash? It's bitten me on the *** on more than one occasion, but I guess it's also good for covering your behind if the opponent somehow managed to get there.

It's especially gross when reversing Rock Hurl.
I believe it has something to do with B reversing.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who is disappointed about Charizard's taunts? They're all pretty much the same: he flaps his wings and stomps the floor in different manners. Maybe one roaring and breathing fire or something like that would have been better. I only find myself using the Up Taunt since it's the only one that has him actually roaring.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Dear gosh I hate Zard's taunts.

I'm usually able to find a favorite taunt with almost every character in the game, but I can't remember which one of Zard's taunts is which. That's kind of pathetic, considering he's the character I play the most.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Dear gosh I hate Zard's taunts.

I'm usually able to find a favorite taunt with almost every character in the game, but I can't remember which one of Zard's taunts is which. That's kind of pathetic, considering he's the character I play the most.
I can't blame you; they're all exactly the same. Flap wings, stomp the ground. Rinse and repeat.

At least his victory animations are really cool :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who is disappointed about Charizard's taunts? They're all pretty much the same: he flaps his wings and stomps the floor in different manners. Maybe one roaring and breathing fire or something like that would have been better. I only find myself using the Up Taunt since it's the only one that has him actually roaring.
Agree. He needs a taunt where he faces upwards and starts to shoot small flames while moving his head back and forth twice. It could even have a small useless hitbox.
Instead we flap wings...

C3CC

Smash Lord
Agree. He needs a taunt where he faces upwards and starts to shoot small flames while moving his head back and forth twice. It could even have a small useless hitbox.
Instead we flap wings...
And flapping wings is good... once. Not thrice. D:

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77

This should be his taunt. This is THE Charizard pose.
He kinda already has that one. (Up taunt)
But yeah.. I never really use the others. They could have done waay more with his taunts. Would have been cool.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
I will use his Up Taunt most of the time, since it shows how powerful he is and it's my favorite Charizard taunt

Last edited:
Top Bottom