• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just got a Charizard amiibo as a birthday present today. Too bad I'm out of town, though, or I would of started training it right away.

Shog

Smash Ace
I just got a Charizard amiibo as a birthday present today. Too bad I'm out of town, though, or I would of started training it right away.
Funny story, my brother is angry at me for saying that the two Charizard amiibo won't get sold here in Germany. One day later there were like 3 in a radius of 10 kilometres.:4charizard:

Oh wait, that was a sad story :cry:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Played around last night and noticed Dthrow is now absolutely great to set up a yolo spike at the edge of the stage.

I have also been practicing the art of ledge bombing with blast burn. If you use it as a foe grabs the ledge and they decide to get up or lose their invincibility they will get hit by the explosion. And if you catch em on the under side of the stage they will get stage spiked.

And since you bounce off the stage it is generally unpunishable unless they are on stage and it completely misses.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Part of me thinks customs wouldn't be so misunderstood if Nintendo simply made them easier to unlock.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Is there any good Charizard mains?
BloodCross and Trela have good Charizard.

I'm also the best Charizard in Illinois and am trying to push the character's meta. However, I am unknown outside of the Chicago Smash 4 community and would love to fight other Charizard users to see how I stack. If anyone wants to play some games, please let me know!

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Oh look, the OC is posting.

Yes, I still use Charizard. Main Jiggs, tho.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
While I'm trying to get into using Charizard, he seems like a really, really "clutch" sort of character that you can't get a solid lead over someone with. Pretty intense.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
It's pretty hard to get a healthy lead over someone as Zard without getting gimmicky kills like up throw on a delfino transformation, up throw on duck hunt tree, or Dragon Rush off of Smashville platform. They're still very effective for one or two time kills, but it'd be quite difficult to pull off against someone experienced in the matchup.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
He does seem to be a really good character to pick up if you want to read what your enemy is doing. If he was just a little faster, like five frames, with most of his moves...

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
How often do you all find yourselves using his D-Air? It reaches a surprising distance down and isn't as slow as some other spikes.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
I try to do it for style points, but rarely ever do I use it seriously. M2K uses it on about half of the time that he's falling, so I think it'd probably just player preference?

One thing I do know is you can kill a falcon at, like, 30% if you spike him at the ledge.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Dair is my preferred way of finishing stocks. I get them way more than I should.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, it depends. How are they punishing you?

If someone is shieldy, I wouldn't recommend using N-Air too much. For me, it's kind of an "I want my space" attack. If I'm just standing in place, I can use it to keep them from moving forward. In their shield? I can use it and move back so I have less of a chance of being punished. Try to hit them with the sweetspot, or aim for it, to extend it's range.

Shieldgrabbing might be a good idea if you keep being clever about it. (Just attack while you're in your shield and you'll grab) Of course, faster characters could just run up and shield you in return, but Charizard's grab range is pretty good! Otherwise, it's a matter of how safe you think you would be if you went in for a grab.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Half the time opponents can shield nair on reaction it seems, and other times they throw out faster aerials and beat my nair (Sheik, Yoshi, Luigi, etc.) With grabs they somehow break out after 1 or 2 pummels at mid %. Not pummeling usually works, but I always feel like I'm missing out on damage. Does the brawl strat of setting d-pad to jump and just spamming that still work in this game or am I just running into mario party professionals?

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Totally gonna main Zard in Pokken if Mewtwo doesn't get confirmed. =D

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Charizard in Pokken didn't surprise me one bit, but it's still nice to see.
I probably won't main him of Suicune, but I'll probably mess around with him from time to time, as I'll do with most of the game's 'mons. All of their Pokken choices so far have been really good.

Weavile, on the other hand, is so obvious of a choice I feel silly for not expecting it to be in before. I guess I just don't think of gen 4 that much, so I forgot it was a thing for a bit.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
One particular match-up is really frustrating for me... Toon Link. He can freely use projectiles, most of the time, and the start-up of Flare Blitz can be interrupted by arrows and boomerangs. Insult to injury, is that he's fast, can kill Charizard at very low percents, and has a tether grab, so that not even Charizard's grab or shield is safe. For anyone who has experience in this fight, is it hopeless, or doable?
I try to block, but unlike against a lot of other characters, his grab range just invalidates mine.

Last edited:

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
To pose a question, do you all think that Charizard is viable online? Now, I don't mean compared to the rest of the cast. That's an entirely different discussion and could probably use a separate thread as well, to be honest, to vent some online frustrations.

But for the first question... I'm not so sure. He requires precision, being able to guess where your opponent is going, and of course, a lot of his moves are kill moves. Just a small little amount of input lag, or slowdown, I feel, limits how effective he is so much. How do you all cope with lag, or if you don't primarily practice online, where do you work on your Charizard?

Of course, this is coming from someone who mainly plays the 3DS version. Maybe I'm just subjecting myself to a special kind of torture that most of you don't need to bother yourselves with, and it's less noticeable on the Wii U...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It depends if the game decides if you used your 2nd or 3rd jump.

But if you need to be precise like Meta Knight requires then online will screw you.

With the heavies like Ganon and Zard since we are slower we can afford to somehow do spectacularly when a lagfest occurs.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
I just feel like Charizard gets hurt more because his moves are pretty slow and require you to be in a good position.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
With Austin TO Mattatat moving to Houston it's my job to step up the city's Charizard play.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
How often do you all find yourselves using his D-Air? It reaches a surprising distance down and isn't as slow as some other spikes.
I land it often out of a jab 3 or Nair. It's also easy to hit if you predict someone to jump above the ledge.

:006:

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Ick, internet troubles... Anyways, do you take your opponent by surprise sometimes by just mauling them off-stage? I bet a lot of people wouldn't expect Charizard to hop off and chase them down there.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
I've found it to be pretty hard to read airdodges when I'm trying to U-Air someone for an early stock. Just a few extra frames to his B-Air and U-Air alike, and Charizard would be scary in the air. Well, more so than he already is.

What moves do you all find yourself killing the most with? Maybe not a good thing, but most of mine seem to come from Flare Blitzes. Besides F-Air and N-Air, I struggle to hit a lot of my aerials because of those airdodges. I have found success in waiting for them to fall first then jumping.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I've found it to be pretty hard to read airdodges when I'm trying to U-Air someone for an early stock. Just a few extra frames to his B-Air and U-Air alike, and Charizard would be scary in the air. Well, more so than he already is.

What moves do you all find yourself killing the most with? Maybe not a good thing, but most of mine seem to come from Flare Blitzes. Besides F-Air and N-Air, I struggle to hit a lot of my aerials because of those airdodges. I have found success in waiting for them to fall first then jumping.

People are probably gonna get tired of me saying this, but backwards nair is seriously good for juggles. His tailflame hitbox comes out quick, but it starts out behind him rather than in front, so doing a backwards nair against someone above you is an easy and safe way to wrack on free damage, or even get an offstage kill at around 130%.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Yep, sometimes you can get lucky and immediately hit the sweetspot as the attack begins. I do, though, wish that the sweetspot either did more damage and got smaller to compensate, or larger and did the same damage it does now. Needs more reward for spacing yourself properly.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Ick, internet troubles... Anyways, do you take your opponent by surprise sometimes by just mauling them off-stage? I bet a lot of people wouldn't expect Charizard to hop off and chase them down there.
Runoff-fair is extremely easy to land and very powerful. A lot of my kills come from it.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Yeah. It's fairly low risk because of Charizard's recovery, too. I got into a position where the enemy thought I was probably going to F-Air, since they were to the side of me, but I Up-Aired them instead. The extra little vertical reach it has might be able to keep people guessing.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Honestly, after easy bake neutral-B gimps, runoff-fair is my most common way of edgeguarding. Going offstage, following them, and stage spiking with Up-B is third.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Would Rock Smash have any applications in edgeguarding off-stage? If they're against the stage, I mean. It'd be pretty difficult to pull off, but I don't think Charizard falls fast enough while doing it for it to be completely stupid.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Would Rock Smash have any applications in edgeguarding off-stage? If they're against the stage, I mean. It'd be pretty difficult to pull off, but I don't think Charizard falls fast enough while doing it for it to be completely stupid.
It's REALLY good at stopping side-B recoveries. Fox, Falco, and Ike all get messed up by Rock Smash, especially if they try to land on stage and not sweetspot the ledge.

Top Bottom