• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Donkey Kong, maybe Bowser Jr, another Charizard if they Flare Blitz, Pac-Man if he uses Side-B... Maybe Dedede if he lands on-stage with Up-B... Those are some of the other recoveries that could get hurt by Rock Smash, I think.

Something I'm curious about, though, is if Rock Smash stops momentum. Like if Pikachu used quick attack and hit us while we were using it, for example. Would they go past, or get stuck so we could hit them?

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
They go past, the opponent retains momentum. It's actually the biggest weakness of Rock Smash, other counters come out fast enough/freeze the opponent.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
On another note, Zard can do pretty good against ZSS if he uses his aerial attacks and higher weight to his advantage and keeps Zamus airborne, where she's more vulnerable to Zard's great aerials.

Also, Flamethrower bops the Paralyzer's shots, which makes approaching a lot easier.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
On another note, Zard can do pretty good against ZSS if he uses his aerial attacks and higher weight to his advantage and keeps Zamus airborne, where she's more vulnerable to Zard's great aerials.

Also, Flamethrower bops the Paralyzer's shots, which makes approaching a lot easier.
Nah that matchup is and always will be terrible. Her aerials are faster and bigger than yours and her air mobility is leagues above yours so being in the air sucks. Her tether and Paralyzer are a full stop to your dash so being on the ground isn't very great either. This is the worst matchup Charizard has. As an anecdote, I have a friend who I can reliably beat with Zard against any of his characters EXCEPT ZSS. Forcing her to fight you is a pain because she can just run away, so you really have little to no window of advantage against this character.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
HELL YEAH Went to a local in Austin with 69 entrants and Denti in attendance, got T-13th playing exclusively Zard. Let's go!

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Wow... How did everyone react to seeing Charizard?
People were surprised, I'm known as a Luigi main and I have a handlebar mustache, so there's a natural synergy there that's easy to remember. A few of my friends knew but I didn't face them in bracket, and I sure as hell didn't know everyone there. I beat a :4ganondorf:, :4lucas:, :4palutena:, :4mario:, & :4mario:/:4sheik:. I lost to a :4yoshi: & :4falco:. In retrospect :4palutena: was by far the scariest matchup, especially since it was customs-on. Superspeed can punish everything, and Lightweight is actually more cheesy than Zard's uthrow. I won 2-0 but got a lucky sweetspot bair to take the first stock of game 1 that I felt like swung the whole match.

I actually have a sneaking suspicion :4sheik: is a decent matchup for Zard. I've been beating most of my friends Sheiks with Zard, including players who are better than me. Sheik has to work insanely hard to kill and can't mess up, ever. You live to 260% while she dies at 80%. I think Sheik wins it but it's 55-45.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Now... Hopefully I'm not spreading lies, or spreading something that people already knew about, but here goes. This was in training mode.
I think Charizard is able to almost cancel the lag on his B-Air entirely from a full hop into any of his ground moves (including specials) besides Down-B, and even D-Tilt, although to hit D-Tilt you need to crouch as you land. You can also turn around on the ground to attack them with more than just pivot F-Tilts and smashes.

I got the idea of this from a thread about cancelling the end lag on moves; Apparently, if you land while a move's endlag hasn't happened yet, for whatever reason, it ends up getting reduced. While even with this, B-Air may not be as useful, if it's real, it could be a way to increase Charizard's agility and avoid combos from other characters. Not useful in an online setting, for the most part, but it could make Charizard more able to defend himself in the air.
http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-cancel.386639/

I hate to outsource to anyone, but could someone with a Wii U film this to confirm it? I only have a 3DS. It has to be almost right before you hit the ground.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Most moves in this game, if you time a fastfall just after the move comes out, will land with little lag. It is possible to FF Zard's short-hop nair and still have it autocancel, for example (though you save literally 1 frame I think). Falco's dair is the most well known example but most moves can be canceled in that manner. At 10:45 in the linked video below, Trela does a fast-fall full-hop nair and then upair, and both land with nearly no lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdzLAmbDSk8

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rest in Peace Iwata.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I'm not sure if I think the Link matchup is sneaky good or sneaky bad now that the Hero of Time's throws got buffed so much. I used to think Zard owned that matchup but now I'm not sure.

COLDRAMEN

Smash Rookie
NNID
WARMRAMEN
I love charizard in smash 4. My friend says he's pretty great at playing charizard but he only uses the side b, I think we should name those type of players "The Zard Tards"

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Zard players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Charizard and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I don't have a good sense for how it compares to the rest of the cast, but Charizard's techs seems extremely slow. I was playing the best Wario in Austin (and maybe TX) yesterday with Zard and even though Wario has a slow run he repeatedly was able to react and cover my techs, even though I was mixing them up. I think there may be many situations in which not teching may actually be optimal.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
At least in Brawl I think Charizard had the worst techrolls in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for this game too.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will say Flare Blitz certainly has it's uses.

Dragon Rush isn't just a better version of Flare Blitz.

It's just different. They both do different things.

I can't count how many time the Super Armor has saved me.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
I will say Flare Blitz certainly has it's uses.

Dragon Rush isn't just a better version of Flare Blitz.

It's just different. They both do different things.

I can't count how many time the Super Armor has saved me.
Yeah, obviously a lot of people prefer dragon rush, but getting killing punishes across the stage is so damn good.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Fire Fang is killing at sub 90 percent. On Ryu. At the edge. Found it surprising.

Should test kill percent on Bowser.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Friendlies. Shut up lmaooo

I didn't go Charizard in the tournament and everyone thinks I did. Welp
I at least saw your pools winner's finals match (I think) against that MK. Assuming you went Fox after pool 1 then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom