• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Doc: Game Play General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A thread to generally cover any moveset observations, Q&A, initial game play thoughts (or otherwise) for Dr. Mario.

Unlockable after completing Classic mode with Mario.

Part 1: How does the Doctor fight in comparison to Mario?
Pills; Down B: Tornado [ala Melee].
Do we know how else he is different? I may have not seen it correctly, but his forward smash seemed shorter? Obviously having a different graphic on his effects too. Haven't seen if his forward air or nair have anything kinky to it (none of the streamers seem to ever use aerials).

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Down Aerial looks to work significantly different. IF you watch Hanayama's footage one of his attempts ends up with Doc Dairing him at 90%, but rather than it being a multi hit drill, it has horizontal knockback and KOs. Perhaps it's like Luigi's from Melee?

I pray they port all of his A move oddities from Melee and make him Mario with unique trajectories and cool stuff. ESPECIALLY the reverse Nair, I LOVED that.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I was hoping for Paper Mario, but I will love to play as this version of Mario. Favorite Melee character and I hope he feels similar to his Melee iteration.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
So hype that my main made it back to the fight . But ! Where's that gameplay ? :b:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone confirm or deny that Doc has his old Back air and / or old Forward Air? I'm stoked as all if both get in.

Gaminguy010

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gaminguy010
For those of you wondering what the Final Smash is it's the same as Mario's but with pills instead of fireballs.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I hope his fair still has good kill power.

See Mario's combo potential in smash 4 means that doc could have actual setups that lead into fair kills, assuming it still does kill well.

Besides that, I wonder what's worse about him. They have to have realized that nobody will ever play mario if doc is just better and has the normal downb/dair, so there has to be a couple things of his that are worse that regular Mario. Hopefully it's not dthrow, because Mario's dthrow in smash 4 is amazing

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
So does the Kobe/Slam Dunk/Fair send them to the top like in Melee and PM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen Mario's fair send the opponent downwards in Smash 4 and that seems significantly worse.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, I feel like Doc is gonna be worse than he is in Melee, and I'll explain why.

While Mario is overall buffed significantly from Brawl to Smash 4 due to a good combo game, I feel like that Doc's airs are gonna end with more lag then Mario's. While you can L-cancel in Melee, you can't in Smash 4. So I'm afraid if this will impact Doc's combo game.

I'm also worried about Doc's air's, specifically his Fair and Bair. In Melee, Mario's Bair and Fair are FAR worse than Doc's. I have a feeling that they aren't going to change that and just make it a little stronger. That's just what I think.

Other than that I really do hope that the two are good, I wouldn't want my Melee main to be bad in this.

NOALink

Smash Rookie
Finally, we get Mario back, without the FLUDD. The existence of doc has to be the only reason they left regular Mario with that horrible move.

It looks like his up+B has a sweet spot at the start of the animation sort of like Luigi's melee up+B. It clearly hits differently than Mario's. Pills do 5%, and dair has some unique properties. Krynxe, I do wonder what is going to be worse about him, because right now I haven't seen a clear downside to him compared to Mario.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
One of my mains in project M! Can't wait to play as him again!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
For some reason, I feel like Doc is gonna be worse than he is in Melee, and I'll explain why.

While Mario is overall buffed significantly from Brawl to Smash 4 due to a good combo game, I feel like that Doc's airs are gonna end with more lag then Mario's. While you can L-cancel in Melee, you can't in Smash 4. So I'm afraid if this will impact Doc's combo game.

I'm also worried about Doc's air's, specifically his Fair and Bair. In Melee, Mario's Bair and Fair are FAR worse than Doc's. I have a feeling that they aren't going to change that and just make it a little stronger. That's just what I think.

Other than that I really do hope that the two are good, I wouldn't want my Melee main to be bad in this.
Usually his combo strings don't use fair until the end, so you'd better make sure you don't wiff it.

Down air is probably one of the more debatable moves since it probably doesn't drill down, but to the side, and thus, will be punishable.

Bair is mainly used to wall of pain someone. End lag isn't as big a problem. Also Mario's bair has low lag, so Doc's could, too, if he's based off Mario.

Up air don't worry about it. It's a low lag move that can potentially string up to a double jump fair. slam dunk

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPwy5uLuhQ

Doc gameplay 20 seconds in, he lands a sweetspoted up b on villager, but he goes straight up and down. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm @ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker . Hi, but holy mother of God, why doesn't Doc's Fair kill people? It has the Sakurai angle, but isn't killing anyone at a reasonable percent. Dair is godlike though and can kill at what would be pretty high percents in Brawl, but may be more standard in this game. Nair is a reverse sex kick like Melee and feels pretty similar to melee Nair. Uair and Bair are standard. FSmash hits like a truck, but it lacks range (just like Melee) except the lack of range is a much more punishing limiter in a Brawl styled game. Didn't test Mario tornado yet. USmash and DSmash feel like their stale Brawl versions on both Marios. BThrow is a kill move. DThrow won't be leading into the dunk, but it looks hella good at trapping people.

Edit: We can test more stuff if you guys have questions, we're passing one copy around testing stuff.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
UpB out of shield can kill probably around 190. It has a sweet spot when used from close and I assume it retains invincibility. That number is an approximation with DI from across BF (as in from left corner to right blast zone). So emergency kill and decent reversal. DownB still works for recovery. Cape is still worse than Mario's for stalling.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Interesting that Doc seems a ton more recovery-oriented than in Melee. Just from what I've seen, his recovery looks absurdly good, but his range and speed have gotten considerable nerfs; hopefully that'll help balance him a bit more than Mario vs. Doc in Melee. Exciting to hear that his fair and nair are reasonably close to how they worked as well!

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
can't wait to be using that fair and the reverse nair :colorful:

Doc still can only cape once in mid-air to boost his recovery, right?
No, it actually just flat out doesnt stall at all, mash down b tornado instead. Actually looks better than regular mario's cape based on footage but i cant be sure
UpB out of shield can kill probably around 190. It has a sweet spot when used from close and I assume it retains invincibility. That number is an approximation with DI from across BF (as in from left corner to right blast zone). So emergency kill and decent reversal. DownB still works for recovery. Cape is still worse than Mario's for stalling.
Ye ive been wondering about how Up B can be used, i think it will be a viable OoS option at decent/higher percents to gain some breathing space, and agreed a nice emergency kill move. Reminds me a lot of shoryus in SF games.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Can d throw combo?
First off, it's all CPUs. I'm not one hundred percent sure of anything. It certainly wouldn't combo into Fair. You may be able to get Uair or UTilt. Gimmie a sec for my turn to come up and I'll see.

Doc still can only cape once in mid-air to boost his recovery, right?
This is correct.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm @ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker . Hi, but holy mother of God, why doesn't Doc's Fair kill people? It has the Sakurai angle, but isn't killing anyone at a reasonable percent. Dair is godlike though and can kill at what would be pretty high percents in Brawl, but may be more standard in this game. Nair is a reverse sex kick like Melee and feels pretty similar to melee Nair. Uair and Bair are standard. FSmash hits like a truck, but it lacks range (just like Melee) except the lack of range is a much more punishing limiter in a Brawl styled game. Didn't test Mario tornado yet.
DSmash feel like their stale Brawl versions on both Marios. BThrow is a kill move. DThrow won't be leading into the dunk, but it looks hella good at trapping people.

Edit: We can test more stuff if you guys have questions, we're passing one copy around testing stuff.

First off, it's all CPUs. I'm not one hundred percent sure of anything. It certainly wouldn't combo into Fair. You may be able to get Uair or UTilt. Gimmie a sec for my turn to come up and I'll see.
After testing more, I can say DThrow to Uair looks hella real. Once again this is vs. CPUs, but I can routinely get DThrow to Uair at middling percents, but (and more importantly) Dthrow to Utilt/USmash looks real at low percents. Characters like CFalc are getting molly wopped by early DThrow strings.

It also turns out my initial dunk analysis was wrong. There's a ****box that hits for 11% and then a sweetspot that hits 15% with significantly more KB (Kills 120 on mid weight characters probably? I'm just eyeballing it.), but then it reverts to the 11% box near the end. It's reasonable to hit, but not an amazing move because you don't have DThrow->Fair.

Nair is a reverse sex kick that goes from 5% -> 8% and once it changes from the 5% box to the 8% box it doesn't get any better. It's all KBG though. Base knockback they are almost identical. The 8% one may have less BKB, but the 5% hit has almost no knockback growth, so once you hit 60% it sends them off of you with the 8%, but the 5% hit keeps them fairly close. This move isn't a kill blow at all though, unless you hit it near the edge 190+.

UpB sweetspot is better than I thought. It really reminds me of Marth Dolphin Slash from Brawl. Maybe a tad weaker? Probably kills mid and low weight characters at about 120% near the ledge on most stages.

Pills are great space control, but definitely not combo starters. No matter how well I space them, I don't get anything but counter hit on my college graduated nose. At least until it resets a grounded opponent.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Doc's Jump Punch 3 gives him a fire jump punch. Two hitboxes. 16% for the end hit, 27 if you get both hits. Kills at like 90.

Tornado 2 goes crazy high and has a wind-box, but removes all the damage, turning it into a pure recovery tool.

Cape 2 removes the stalling effect from Cape 1 (which wasn';t much to begin with). Lowers the damage from ~10 to ~5 and keeps the reversal effect. However it also has a giant wind-box just past the cape. Should you hit them with the cape, they will fly much farther than if you hit them with Cape1, as the momentum is boosted by the windbox. Unsure if it still reflects projectiles.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Those who are playing the japanese version and practicing medicine.

Can you confirm the angle on Doc's Bair? Is it the semi-spike from Melee?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's sharper than Mario's, but no it isn't that good. It's still one of the better edge guarding tools in the game.

Also, confirming that Mario's custom DownB 3 is trash garbage unless it has some properties I haven't deciphered yet. It's MUCH slower than the other two and it deals 8 damage on contact at any point with decent knockback, but it has low knock back growth, so it doesn't kill until 200+. In addition to that, it has no rise and very little grounded movement, so it is useless as a recovery and you need all the help you can get. Doc is currently occupying Mac tier of terribad recoveries, except he doesn't have being Mac to back him up.

Still working on him. Unsure how good he'll be, but I'll love him to pieces regardless.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Is his recovery really that bad? Well, I guess it was in Melee but I don't think it's gonna be like, Mac bad....please ;_;

Either way don't worry, seems like he'll be like his Melee self with poor recovery, but great edgeguarding if his Bair really is one of the best in the game for it. I guess he really is still the Doc I know and love.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's not Mac bad. I've not seen anything that's Mac bad. But I've also not seen anything else worse than Doc's.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Biggest question: Does he still have the weak to strong nair.

Second: I've seen Doc pull a good fair in the CT video, but I was wondering if Doc could string fairs to dunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom