• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Updated the second post in the first page with new palette swap ideas! Enjoy!

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I support Dog from Duck Hunt!

There are very good ideas from his moveset. Here are more ideas:

SMASH moves:
I would give him the Zapper for his smash moves: He would shoot it at his side or over it for a powerful medium range smash, with the characteristic sound that the zapper does when used in the original game. He also would perform a humoristic pose holding the zapper with both hands and eyes closed (some recoil included), or holding zapper with one hand and covering ear with the other hand if you do UP smash.

Down B -> Dig:
As a hunting dog, he could use his Down B to Dig a hole and prepare a trap (similar to Snake's Down B, but with an effect similar to Animal Crossing Trap)

(Of course his laugh needs to be a movement, but maybe I would save it for a taunt)

Up B -> Ducks:
That would be pretty similar to how it looks in the first message of this thread, but I wouldn't make it that elaborate, and would make it a simple Up B defensive and offensive attack.

It would be a good recovery move for horizontal range, but not so good at vertical range. Two ducks would appear, one for each hand, and start fluttering like crazy as the dog slowly gains some vertical movement (it has an initial boost if performed from the floor). Then, he can move sideways with decent range, and the fluttering ducks do comboable biting damage at those who get caught in the way. After a while, the ducks escape and the dog falls unable to do anything more.

Optionally, there could be a "feather explosion" at the start of the attack who deal cheap damage, or the ducks could hit opponents while running away until they dissapear at the end of the attack.

Special stuff -> Crawling:
As suggested in this thread, he could crawl from side to side sniffing around, and then he could have a special feature: while crawling (sniffing), he could detect and pick up traps like mines from Snake, Animal Crossing traps, bananas or Motion Sensor Bombs... After picking them up, he could use then again as a regular item!!

This would not work if he's already holding an item, of course.

As an opposite of his crawling movement, while dashing he should stand up at two legs and start running in a very cartoony careless way as seen here in 0:29 :p -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mx9dO3BxI

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support Dog from Duck Hunt!

There are very good ideas from his moveset. Here are more ideas:

SMASH moves:
I would give him the Zapper for his smash moves: He would shoot it at his side or over it for a powerful medium range smash, with the characteristic sound that the zapper does when used in the original game. He also would perform a humoristic pose holding the zapper with both hands and eyes closed (some recoil included), or holding zapper with one hand and covering ear with the other hand if you do UP smash.

Down B -> Dig:
As a hunting dog, he could use his Down B to Dig a hole and prepare a trap (similar to Snake's Down B, but with an effect similar to Animal Crossing Trap)

(Of course his laugh needs to be a movement, but maybe I would save it for a taunt)

Up B -> Ducks:
That would be pretty similar to how it looks in the first message of this thread, but I wouldn't make it that elaborate, and would make it a simple Up B defensive and offensive attack.

It would be a good recovery move for horizontal range, but not so good at vertical range. Two ducks would appear, one for each hand, and start fluttering like crazy as the dog slowly gains some vertical movement (it has an initial boost if performed from the floor). Then, he can move sideways with decent range, and the fluttering ducks do comboable biting damage at those who get caught in the way. After a while, the ducks escape and the dog falls unable to do anything more.

Optionally, there could be a "feather explosion" at the start of the attack who deal cheap damage, or the ducks could hit opponents while running away until they dissapear at the end of the attack.

As suggested in this thread, he could crawl from side to side sniffing around, and then he could have a special feature: while crawling (sniffing), he could detect and pick up traps like mines from Snake, Animal Crossing traps, bananas or Motion Sensor Bombs... After picking them up, he could use then again as a regular item!!

As an opposite of his crawling movement, while dashing he should stand up at two legs and start running in a very cartoony at careless way as seen here in 0:29 :p -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mx9dO3BxI
Mr. Peepers: *laughs* *shot*

In other words, the dog approves of your support and ideas.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

OMG. This is actually brilliant! It really does suit Duck Hunt Dog. It could be like the dog's way of countering those traps, especially the Motion Sensor Bomb.

D

Deleted member

Alright, if the Dog does get in (despite being a long shot) but he doesn't wear a sombrero for a color swap, I'm kicking your @$$ for making me hype up dat sombrero. :troll:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone ever considered that seeing the Duck Hunt Dog getting beaten up references animal cruelty? I don't think that'll bode well to the United States.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Has anyone ever considered that seeing the Duck Hunt Dog getting beaten up references animal cruelty? I don't think that'll bode well to the United States.
I guess that must be why Tekken games are banned in the USA. They promote animal cruelty towards kangaroos, grizzly bears, and panda bears.

D

Deleted member

As if being able to beat up cartoon mice, jackals, turtles, and penguins, as well as able to beat up humanoid foxes, pheasants, and wolves doesn't already reference animal cruelty. I'm sure a slapstick cartoon dog wouldn't be any worse than what Tom and Jerry has pulled.

Smash also promotes sexism, as you can beat up a very limited number of females.
As while as child abuse, since there are children to be beaten up too.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Though,Smash doesn't have a black man,or if it would,it would be about beating black men up.
Either way,Smash is forever racist.:troll:

And since I have not played DHD in crusade yet I think I see some changes in his moveset.

DPSnumber1

Smash Rookie
Duck hunt dog is maybe the most wtf character that can really fit in smash bros game. I really have started suporting him. His moveset posted here could work.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If Animal Cruelty is the reason that Duck Hunt Dog gets in, then Pokemon and Mario can't be released any more.

Pokemon is basically dog fights.
Mario kills turtles, fish, and squids.

peeup

Smash Lord
This would be the best. Actually. Retro wtf factor, awesome factor, finally get revenge on that ***ing dog factor.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Updated the OP with a new fan art I found on Deviantart. Credit goes to ~mattdog1000000.

I know it probably won't happen but it is fun to picture how Duck Hunt Dog might be like in Smash if he is playable. The Smash Crusade fan game pretty much captured how I pictured how Duck Hunt Dog might work in Smash. I think the Duck Hunt Dog would fit in Smash pretty well, especially with the other retro WTF characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. I really like the idea of Duck Hunt Dog as a troll character and I could only imagine the collective nerdrage on the Internet if Duck Hunt Dog were confirmed to be playable. :troll:

jigglover

Smash Lord
If Animal Cruelty is the reason that Duck Hunt Dog gets in, then Pokemon and Mario can't be released any more.

Pokemon is basically dog fights.
Mario kills turtles, fish, and squids.
I know you were joking, but I get annoyed at anyone who talks about Pokemon being racist, or cruel to animals, or in support of the nazis! Seriously, it's got to the point where the theme song talks about Satan backwards!? Come on... Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and evolve my cute demon leaf into a demon sunflower with the stone of the devil that looks like a sun on a tranquill day!:awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I was thinking about the Dog's normal moves. Maybe he could use a Duck for certain moves similarly to Banjo-Kazooie in the N64 games. I was thinking about that move called "rat-a-tat rap" or something and I think "beak barge". It's been so long since I played Banjo-Kazooie (wish I got Banjo-Tooie as well) but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

:phone:

grizby2

Smash Lord
you mean banjo and kazooies main air move, i know what you're talking about.
kinda odd the duck would be there to fight FOR the dog. im guessing the duck is forced to work under the dogs will. B&K had a better example of a Symbiosis. :|
kinda hilarious at the same time though.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure that if Ducks were used in his moves, it'd be more along the lines of him using them against their will. Like beating people with a duck that he's holding by the neck.

grizby2

Smash Lord
well lets not tell P.E.T.A. shall we? :troll:
seriously, they've been attacking Nintendo for the most horrible reasons.
Marios tanooki suit... how cooking mama uses meat...how pokemon were used...

but appearently Skinning innocent animals in skyrim wasn't on their radar.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well not to derail this any further but P.E.T.A also attacked Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Battlefield, Tomb Raider and of course Super Meat Boy(for obvious reasons). so no i think they more or less try to aim attention at popular games to get noticed in general. they aren't just aiming at Nintendo. they're just attention hores

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What other shock/retro characters are speculated to have a good shot at getting in?
Why, of course the only other option is Mr. Peepers. :troll:

But seriously, I think that objectively the other retro characters who might have a good shot of getting in are Takamaru (Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land) and Balloon Fighter (Nintendo Land and 3DS Ambassador Program).

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
What other shock/retro characters are speculated to have a good shot at getting in?
Takamaru, Sukapon, Balloon Fighter, Muddy Mole, Lip, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Mach Rider, Jack the Sherrif, Tamagon, Prince Sable, Mike Jones, Urban Fighter, and debatably Little Mac are really the only retro's people talk about having a shot.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Duck Hunt Dog would make an amazing retro/WTF character to go alongside ROB/G&W. Consider me a supporter.

I'd like to see either him or Balloon Fighter.

peeup

Smash Lord
Hmm well do you think we can expect two? I mean melee had Ice Climbers and G&W, and brawl had R.O.B. and Pit.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i kinda feel like its possible to get 3 this time around. cause frankly Nintendo is at a point that they have far more retro options that would make a real impact than current ones. plus there's a really skewed definition of retro when referring to characters like Takamaru and Little Mac so yeah those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I updated the second post on the first page here with some costume ideas for Duck Hunt Dog.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
even if he doesn't appear in Smash Bros. 4 at all... he'll be somewhere... laughing at those who expected him in the game...

Top Bottom