• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
even if he doesn't appear in Smash Bros. 4 at all... he'll be somewhere... laughing at those who expected him in the game...

I already knew he have very slim chance to be playable character but I'm hoping that they would add duck hunt stage and he would appear in background and laughing at players who just got eliminated.

Or Assist Trophy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
even if he doesn't appear in Smash Bros. 4 at all... he'll be somewhere... laughing at those who expected him in the game...

LULZ

Still, you have to admit that laughter would be perfect as Duck Hunt Dog's taunt and end-of-match winning pose in Smash. :laugh:

OMG... I just noticed "muttley" in that gif's URL... Duck Hunt Dog should totally have a palette swap based on Muttley, complete with the goggles and the scarf! :awesome:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LULZ

Still, you have to admit that laughter would be perfect as Duck Hunt Dog's taunt and end-of-match winning pose in Smash. :laugh:

OMG... I just noticed "muttley" in that gif's URL... Duck Hunt Dog should totally have a palette swap based on Muttley, complete with the goggles and the scarf! :awesome:
Wacky Races ftw! Mr. Peepers should be as blood thirsty and strong as his Sonic for Hire counterpart. Just the thought of seeing him beat the mess out of Sonic, like in the video posted above, makes me chortle. :cool:

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still think it would be a pretty troll move if Sakurai put in Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. :troll: Hell, put in an event match called "Wacky Races" where Captain Falcon vs. Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog in a Mario Kart stage. :awesome:

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I still think it would be a pretty troll move if Sakurai put in Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. :troll: Hell, put in an event match called "Wacky Races" where Captain Falcon vs. Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog in a Mario Kart stage. :awesome:

YES!!! I absolutely love this! This needs to happen! :bee:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Peeup, what do you mean, not cool enough? It's pretty much identical to my moveset in the OP except for Side B and Down B specials. But I absolutely love the artwork! Did you draw that, peacock? I like how the Duck Hunt Dog's face looks like :troll:

peeup

Smash Lord
Eh yeah I think it's mostly the Side B and Down B that struck me as not cool enough. Idk what I even mean haha, just like the character has a lot of personality, and I feel like there's a lot that could be done with ducks and the zapper and the clay pigeons and such... idk, I just feel like there's some serious potential for really cool moves. I don't have any ideas myself, goes to show I know exactly what I'm talking about >.>

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Peeup, what do you mean, not cool enough? It's pretty much identical to my moveset in the OP except for Side B and Down B specials. But I absolutely love the artwork! Did you draw that, peacock? I like how the Duck Hunt Dog's face looks like :troll:

Nope. :troll:

I found it on DeviantArt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was wondering... if SSB4 gets a Duck Hunt stage, what sort of music would be good for it? Maybe something from Wild Gunman, Hogan's Alley, Gumshoe (but it didn't come out in Japan), To the Earth (a Japan-only NES Zapper game), Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (but it didn't come out in Japan either), Super Scope 6, BattleClash, Tin Star (but it didn't come out in Japan either), and the Shooting Gallery game in Wii Play in addition to Duck Hunt and Vs. Duck Hunt. Maybe some of them might combine into medleys like this one???

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Been thinking about it... If Duck Hunt Dog gets in, should he have a duck flying around at all times (kinda like how a little dog is always around B.B. Hood in Darkstalkers games) or should the duck appear whenever the dog uses a move that involves using ducks as weapons (think rubber chickens and Banjo-Kazooie) and projectiles? It's just for aesthetics but might help the dog stand out.

If anyone ever appreciated a non-Sakurai Kirby game like Kirby's Dream Land 3 for the SNES, remember that green bird that was with Kirby? If I remember correctly, if Kirby had an electric-based copy ability combined with the green bird, you would control the bird like a remote-controlled missile. It reminds me of that neutral special move idea I had for Duck Hunt Dog on the OP.

Oh, and the ducks come in three different colors in the original game and I think they had different point values... Should they inflict different amounts of damage based on their color? It would be like Peach's vegetables or Olimar's Pikmin.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want to believe you, I do... but unless you provide a link, it's all hearsay. It would be exciting if Sakurai wants Duck Hunt Dog in Smash as well. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I want to believe you, I do... but unless you provide a link, it's all hearsay. It would be exciting if Sakurai wants Duck Hunt Dog in Smash as well. :awesome:
It's hugemariofan/hugebowserfan. The guy that says Mickey Mouse is likely because "many people" want him in and that "Sakurai could change his mind" on his stance on 3rd parties of non-video game origin.
Ignore him and whatever he says at all costs.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL that's why I asked for his source. ;)

Personally, Captain N is the only non-video game character I want.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Sakurai only said that in regards to 3rd Parties.
So technically someone like Captain N would not be inelligible.
However, the likelihood of him is not that great, but that's another story.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Whats the difference between the clay pigeon and the flash gun in crusade?
Oh, you noticed that, too? Yeah, I was perplexed about the differences between the clay pigeon and the Zapper at first. My best guess is that the clay pigeon is Side+B and the Zapper is Neutral B. But it seems to be the only difference between the two. It's like there's no benefit in using one move over the other or vice versa in different situations.

If you refer to my moveset on the first page of this thread, the way I set up the Neutral B and Side+B moves are to use them for different situations.

The clay pigeon is used to cover horizontally long distances. You could say it is comparable to Zelda's Side+B move... but I also like one of KumaOso's suggestions, that the hunter shoots the clay pigeon when it hits a character... mainly because it reminds me of Lucas's Side+B move, one of my favorite special moves in Brawl.

The duck shooting move is used to cover anywhere. It is like Ness's Up+B move... where you simply press the B button to make the dog throw a duck... and then you hold down the B button to keep the duck flying... and you move the Control Stick to make the duck fly around. And the duck could fly above the dog or go under the stage... and then you let go of the B button to make the hunter shoot the duck. It is up to the player (that's you) to get the duck to overlap with the opponent so the hunter can shoot the opponent (from the fourth wall) when you let go of the B button.

What I want is for Duck Hunt Dog to specialize in projectiles (I am basing the dog's playstyle on the gameplay of the NES game). If Crusade gave me any ideas, it's that the dog could possibly sic ducks at his enemies. Notice how the duck hits enemies as it flies upward from the dog's paw? I like that move and it emphasizes the dog's speciality in projectiles.

peeup

Smash Lord
Agreed on all counts. Considering its basically a shooter and one of the first games to use technology like the zapper (certainly it was the first one i ever played) he should totally be based on projectile game. I like the use of the duck/hunter snipe combo as like a long range, cover all territory kinda move like PK thunder, but DHD's attack should be significantly stronger/faster because it cant be used for recovery and it'd also be like a staple of his moveset. Clay pigeon would be like a quick getoutofmyface type of projectile. All or some of his smashes should involve ducks either used as a bludgening object or projectile. I see him as a fragile speedster with the ability to combo at long range with various projectiles, kinda like how I assume P:M Snake to play (idk really cause I've never played P:M haha)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yup. You got it right, peeup. That's what I had in mind when I was coming up with Duck Hunt Dog's specials.

Oh, and in order to make his neutral special move not broken, I was thinking that maybe it should have a time limit for how long you can control the duck before it flies away (just like in the NES game). Maybe three seconds is long enough for you to get the duck close to the opponent for the hunter to shoot? Maybe 5 seconds is sufficient?

peeup

Smash Lord
Yup. You got it right, peeup. That's what I had in mind when I was coming up with Duck Hunt Dog's specials.

Oh, and in order to make his neutral special move not broken, I was thinking that maybe it should have a time limit for how long you can control the duck before it flies away (just like in the NES game). Maybe three seconds is long enough for you to get the duck close to the opponent for the hunter to shoot? Maybe 5 seconds is sufficient?
Instead of putting a limit on how long you can control the duck, I'd make the duck travel pretty quickly/be hard to control so its hard to use at close range, but its very effective at long distances when you have time to control it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Instead of putting a limit on how long you can control the duck, I'd make the duck travel pretty quickly/be hard to control so its hard to use at close range, but its very effective at long distances when you have time to control it.
The best idea would be to make the duck similar to Snake's Nikita. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... I forgot about his boss role in WarioWare.
ROB doesn't FIGHT in Mario Kart DS. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Play Battle Mode. Yes, it counts as fighting.
Even so, R.O.B. doesn't use those moves in Smash. He got stereotypical robot abilities like lasers and rocket boosters. Duck Hunt Dog could get stereotypical canine abilities like scratching and biting if Sakurai decided to go there.

There's also that moveset I made on the OP which is based on Duck Hunt Dog's occupation as a hunting/pointing dog. How? By having the hunter do all the shooting from the fourth wall.

peeup

Smash Lord
Point is, you could make a desk lamp a suitable moveset for Smash. Actual fighting ability is like literally the least important thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, I think I found a great idea for Duck Hunt Dog's Green Team palette swap! How about changing the dog's fur to resemble Duke (Captain N's pet dog) and have him wear the green bandana around his neck? :awesome:

Default = Duck Hunt Dog
Red Team = based on General Pepper
Green Team = based on Captain N's pet dog Duke
Blue Team = based on Duck Hunt Dog's appearance in Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
White = based on K.K. Slider and the Wild Gunman with the sombrero...
there needs to be a new guitar item to accessorize this palette swap :troll:
Yellow = based on the dog wearing the crown from Super Mario Bros. 3 (World 1)
kinda like Jigglypuff wearing Peach's crown in Melee :awesome:

Sounds good, yes?

Top Bottom