• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essence of Wolf: A Guide to Wolf COMPLETELY REWRITTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
Thats an awesome guide for wolfy.

Against D3 i find sweet spoting the Wolf illusion works awesome as he's just to big to miss and using your shine to set up D/F-smashes works alright.
And yeah blaster spam seems to work against him aswell to a degree.
Also im not certain but at a decent percentage you can probably get the spike with his down air but its really risky against D3 because he has so many jumps, Last resort maybe.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
his dtilt can trip people, though i haven't tested it myself. (i just heard it today. yes i like parentheses xP )
Wolf's dtilt is a sweep, yes, but it gives them a little knockback before they trip unlike most other sweeps in the game. So Wolf's fsmash is the only attack he has that is guaranteed after a trip, unless you want to try and time a stutter step dsmash and risk them being able to roll.

The higher % somebody is at, the greater chance you have to trip them. Wolf's sweep isn't nearly as good at tripping as lets say Zamus' ftilt or Zelda's dtilt. Those 2 seem to work like a charm for some reason.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Hey guys, just posting to let you all know that my computer has died again. Im not sure exactly the problem, it seems hit or miss whether or not it turns on. So any posts I make will most likely be from my Wii again.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ever tried immediately DI'ing backwards after initiating the 0fair? its evasive and offensive, helping with spacing. I don't do it too often (unless somebody's dumb enough to let me), but it makes it very hard to grab you afterwards.
So you can avoid a shield grab (sometimes) by doing that. You know what it won't avoid? An up smash out of shield, an ftilt, or some other possible counter.

If a bair is spaced properly about the only thing the opponent can do is drop their shield and use a projectile, in which case bair to fsmash is ****.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
jeez that has to suck...

Hey guys, just posting to let you all know that my computer has died again. Im not sure exactly the problem, it seems hit or miss whether or not it turns on. So any posts I make will most likely be from my Wii again.
Could always be a virus Kos. Either that our your in need of serious repairs which sucks a**.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Juggalo said:
Ever tried immediately DI'ing backwards after initiating the 0fair? its evasive and offensive, helping with spacing. I don't do it too often (unless somebody's dumb enough to let me), but it makes it very hard to grab you afterwards.
So you can avoid a shield grab (sometimes) by doing that. You know what it won't avoid? An up smash out of shield, an ftilt, or some other possible counter.

If a bair is spaced properly about the only thing the opponent can do is drop their shield and use a projectile, in which case bair to fsmash is ****.
Then don't use it in a situation where that would be a possible outcome, though I don't see how somebody's upsmash would be able to hit you as you're DI'ing backwards from a low-aerial attack. I rarely approach with the 0-lag-fair (unless to intercept an aerial opponent), I use it most as a reaction, after blocking or when I see an available opening

Also, even if you do use the move in the situation of a blocking opponent, if you hit with the furthest edge of his 0fair, only someone like another Wolf or Marth would be able to have the Fsmash speed and range to hit you as you're DI'ing backwards. I don't think an ftilt would be able to get to you distancewise since they seem to be shorter than fsmashes.

I'm not saying to use this all the time or even often. I find myself using Wolf's bair more than men think about women, I was just asking had you tried it. :)

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
DI'ing backwards after a O lag Fair is a good way to keep yourself from being hit in case of a shield grab and such. Some characters(like wolf) have a large range on their up smash(ike as another example) which could be a problem. although if you follow up with a f-tilt after a O lag Fair, your pretty much garuanteed poking through the shield which is an easy follow up. Using a O lag Fair approach is similar to an Wall Of Wolf expect in the opposite direction, and a bit different, which is why I use it as a Defensive wall, stopping boomerangs and waddle dee's and such, that I can stop with an Fair, and it all forces them in to a retreat in some cases, allowing for you to follow up with another move if you read them correctly.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
3. Ledge Fair- Basically, if you DI away from the ledge on a flat level, jump and fair instantly after, when you land you will still have 0 lag. But this will only work on flat levels, no Yoshis Island people :(
You can do it on Yoshi's Island, its just you should do it a bit quicker. the attack comes out barely above the ground level, but should hit people's feet.

Sidenote: If you ledge0fair by DI'ing down from the edge instead of away from the edge, you can't do it on Yoshi's Island period.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
You can do it on Yoshi's Island, its just you should do it a bit quicker. the attack comes out barely above the ground level, but should hit people's feet.

Sidenote: If you ledge0fair by DI'ing down from the edge instead of away from the edge, you can't do it on Yoshi's Island period.
yeah it is possible on yoshis island, but your timing and labding zone have to be **** near perfect

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Lol, just posting to let you guys know that I have added "A Guide to Wolf" to the main title. It seems some people dont actually know it is a wolf guide lulz

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
oh and btw, i'm pretty sure someone mentioned this, but still have it written as difficult to avoid din's fire. the reflector stops din's fire. no, it won't reflect it, but i'm not talking about the invincibility frames. just straight up, if you're holding the reflector, it won't hurt you when it blows up. makes fights against zelda MUCH easier if you know that.

if you've got relatively high altitude, you can even use this to protect yourself if she's spamming it while you're trying to recover. you just have to be careful not to gimp your own recovery xP

D

Deleted member

by the way I'm working on a wolf guide, similar to this, but more of my opinions, etc

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
im not sure if this has been posted anywhere but, have yall noticed when using Fsmash it caused your opponent to trip. i usually find this happening when the opponent is like inside me or rolling towards me. And when a enemy trips right next to you, what do you do....dsmash.

Also here's another mind game thing i've used on my friends. when they're trying to get back onto the platform after being smashed out, i tend to use bair to knock em back out of the platform before they could land again. my friend caught on and air dodge my bair, but usually he would land in front of me. The great thing about bair is, theres no lag afterwards so as soon as we land you can use you A+A+A combo and sometimes finish that combo with an illusion sweet spot, before your opponent recovers from the lag of air dodge.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
yea, if you only hit with the first hit of his front smash but not the last one, they will always trip. it's not really useful though, because even if you did it on purpose they would be up before you could follow up. the only thing it means is that if you hit with the first but not final, they can't punish you. which is nice.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
ok guys, finally updated. I have been busy lately and my computer has been blue screening non stop for the past 2 weeks or so.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I recently did some research on all of Wolf's attacks (to find out Damage and KO %'s) and I found out that Wolf's b-air can kill (Mario from the middle of smashville) at 125% meanwhile his F-air kill's (from the ground) at 143%. I don't know if this could be helpful for the guide or if it is already known, but I thought I would try and contribute something.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Thanks for the contribution, but all tests done for death charts always take place on Final Destination. Sorry bud, nice attempt though ;)

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I realised that after I posted, so I have now redone my list on FD, let me know if you want anything from it.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
Great thread, this is a very good Wolf guide.
By the way, do you have some videos of wolf matches? That would be appreciated.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
you could try the stickied wolf video thread.

i think there's an off chance you might find some there.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Some corrections to the death chart,

Ftilt - Kills at 187%
Bair - Kills at 133%
Up Smash - Kills at 124% uncharged and 81% fully charged
Down Smash in front - 111% uncharged
Uthrow - 260%

P.S. Yes these were done on FD against a level 9 Mario in the middle of FD.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Differences in Wolf's F-tilt:

Upward F-tilt: At Lower percents, f-tilt upwards can cause an upward trajectory with little knockback allowing for a quick Up-tilt or aerial assualt. At higher precents, there is quite a bit knockback but can still be followed up by an Backair chase.

Downward F-tilt:At higher precents, the F-tilt causes the opponents to go slightly below the edge if you use it to edgeguard, sending them in a Bottom right diagonal that seems similar to a sheik fair in melee. Lower precents causes the opponen to do one of two things: 1. Stay grounded, or 2. Send then aerial, depending on the placement. I have to look into this a bit more.

Also, Bair trips opponents in a particular hitbox, that I havent quite found but I figured I would say something anyway.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I still don't like this guide. I find it misleading.

To someone new it may point them in the right direction, but ultimately it'll teach them something they shouldn't be learning.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Alright boys and girls, started a new matchup portion of the thread, as it says, when I feel like it, I'll write more for it as I get around to it. Sorry for the no updates, I had no clue what to update about lol.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
It looks like you're saying Wolf gets beat by both Fox AND Falco? As in he's the worse space animal?<_<

Anyway I don't find matchups (not only this ones, all kind of matchups) very accurate, when mindgames come into play an even matchup can turn into a **** fest.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
El Padrino, match-ups refer to how characters should fare against each other against equally skilled opponents (such as equal mind-games).

I guess I can act as a Kirby representative and try to help, if that is OK. Probably nothing you do not already know (>.<).

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Perhaps I would if my efforts on this board didn't go both under appreciated and overlooked.
Is recognition really that important to you? The only thing I've seen you do is criticize and brag about how you find things without anyone's help. You are probably a great wolf player, but we're all trying to get better and when you talk about how someone's an idiot for asking help from koskinator/snadmonkey, it tends to hurt your image. Do you get what I'm saying?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I do understand what you're saying.

First off, let me then apologize. I do not mean nor intended to either insult (though I probably did) or hurt someone's feelings, especially if they are asking for help. Everyone needs help including me, and I like to be there to give it when I can.

However, I greatly frown upon the fact that everyone seems to think that, specifically those two, are the only knowledgeable people on this board. That's why I was so pleased to see Koskinator's thread reminding people of all the other knowledgeable people on the board that can provide answers to questions.

While I do not mean to brag, I do take pride in finding things on my own. I was never able to do it in Melee. I also imported Brawl from Japan to do this. I spent $400 on a Wii and a copy of the game not just so I could enjoy it a month early, but so I could start contributing and answering peoples questions about the game.

Lastly, you won't go anywhere without constructive criticism.

I lied, this is really the last thing. I think often times I am rather rude to others, especially when it comes to the helping each other out thing, because no one seems to do it for me. At least here in my own state.

I ask others for help, critiques, or what have you in hopes of making myself a better player and all I get in return is, "I don't know," or, "You suck," or, "Whatever," or just silence.

It's very frustrating. Believe me, I want to better myself as a player just as much as anyone else here because I am far from the best.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I do understand what you're saying.

First off, let me then apologize. I do not mean nor intended to either insult (though I probably did) or hurt someone's feelings, especially if they are asking for help. Everyone needs help including me, and I like to be there to give it when I can.

However, I greatly frown upon the fact that everyone seems to think that, specifically those two, are the only knowledgeable people on this board. That's why I was so pleased to see Koskinator's thread reminding people of all the other knowledgeable people on the board that can provide answers to questions.

While I do not mean to brag, I do take pride in finding things on my own. I was never able to do it in Melee. I also imported Brawl from Japan to do this. I spent $400 on a Wii and a copy of the game not just so I could enjoy it a month early, but so I could start contributing and answering peoples questions about the game.

Lastly, you won't go anywhere without constructive criticism.

I lied, this is really the last thing. I think often times I am rather rude to others, especially when it comes to the helping each other out thing, because no one seems to do it for me. At least here in my own state.

I ask others for help, critiques, or what have you in hopes of making myself a better player and all I get in return is, "I don't know," or, "You suck," or, "Whatever," or just silence.

It's very frustrating. Believe me, I want to better myself as a player just as much as anyone else here because I am far from the best.
I never degraded you kash as you where one of the ones I agreed upon when I entered these wolf boards, as well as one the few that agreed with what I said at the time, like about the reflector and stuff. People still dont recognize me on the wolf boards, and to tell you the truth I dont care, I know what im posting and I really dont give a rats *** about peopl that try and flame me. Either way I still support you in what you say since, like patinator, seemed skilled with wolf just because of your knowledge behind him.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I recognize you. As a matter of fact, you quickly became one of my more enjoyed and favored people on this board. It seems you always have something intelligent to add or a humorous anecdote.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I recognize you. As a matter of fact, you quickly became one of my more enjoyed and favored people on this board. It seems you always have something intelligent to add or a humorous anecdote.
ah well it just seemed like you where about to slay me and every other wolf player with your above post. I was protecting my smash playing ***.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I don't know if this is well known, but Wolf's up-B not only goes in 8-directions, but it also goes the 8-directions inbetween.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
ah well it just seemed like you where about to slay me and every other wolf player with your above post. I was protecting my smash playing ***.
Nah. I bet it came off like that, though. It's all good man.

I don't know if this is well known, but Wolf's up-B not only goes in 8-directions, but it also goes the 8-directions inbetween.
I don't know how well people know this either, but you're right.

You can do Wolf's Up B in any increment of 22.5 degress as long as it is between 0 and 337.5, inclusive.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Lol settle down Kash, you dont need to go all Honors Math 12 taught by Steven Hawkings on us.
I've had that class before, and I have to say that Mr. Hawkings can be a real bad*** at times(not a bad geometry wars player either). But a straight b**** when it comes to test and homework. I would know, I almost failed his class with Flying Failures.....no johnz....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom