• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essence of Wolf: A Guide to Wolf COMPLETELY REWRITTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hahaha. Nah Captain Sa10, Steven Hawkings is a noob.

Fine, how's about I say you can do his Up B in all eight cardinal directions and the spaces half way between each of those?

Is that better?

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
There is only one person that can trully defeat Steven Hawkings, and thats Captain Falcon's manliness.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Awesome thread, this is really stepping up my game even more, but can someone please explain to me what RAR is?

Can someone throw up some tips that help you pivot better so you can bair faster?

Edit: Also from my experience, wolf is a fair game vs luigi, if not luigi beats him. I always go about an evenly matched game with most luigi, or we **** eachother.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I asked my cousin to read this and he kept asking me to interpret a lot of the abbreviations for him. Maybe for the new-to-forums people you should include a list of what the more common abbrevations mean. Just thought I'd say.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I asked my cousin to read this and he kept asking me to interpret a lot of the abbreviations for him. Maybe for the new-to-forums people you should include a list of what the more common abbrevations mean. Just thought I'd say.
I'll be sure to make a list of "For Dummies" terms tomorrow lol

Excellent guide!
Love the first picture.
Thanks a lot ^_^

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I wanted to ask Kos, how did you come up with the numbers for the matchups?

I agree with a good amount of them, except I seem to have a very easy time with characters who don't have any ranged moves, such as Bowser, Donkey, Marth, etc. I keep my spacing well and sh bair / fsmash + reflectors here and there.

Also.. I have never been able to find a decent (offensive) use for the Side-B move. It seems to much of a risk for me to ever really try to use it, other than to scar through the stage, or send someone hanging on a ledge straight down. I just find myself not willing to risk missing this and getting punished for it.

Maybe someone can enlighten us on a failproof combo setup for this. I tried comboing this with certain grabs and other moves. I decided just never to use it.

I mean Kos, we can't all have Geno avatars and know everything. :(

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Ok what does RAR and DI mean?

Also does anyone have any tips on smash boosting? I have been trying it for about 2 hours and I can only land it a few times, I used the tips he said under smash boosting.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
RAR - Reverse Aerial Rush - its where you turn around immediately before jumping to get your bairs off

DI - Directional Influence - How whenever you hold the control stick after being hit, that whichever way you're holding the stick determines which way your characters direction is influenced in.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
Also.. I have never been able to find a decent (offensive) use for the Side-B move. It seems to much of a risk for me to ever really try to use it, other than to scar through the stage, or send someone hanging on a ledge straight down. I just find myself not willing to risk missing this and getting punished for it.

Maybe someone can enlighten us on a failproof combo setup for this. I tried comboing this with certain grabs and other moves. I decided just never to use it.

I mean Kos, we can't all have Geno avatars and know everything. :(
at lower percents you can do a back throw into a side b, but other than that, there aren't really any combos for it. you can try to bait an enemy into jumping by using lazers and then hit them with it, but that's far from foolproof.

to tell the truth, i never get punished when i use it, and it'll almost always be a sweetspot, but it happens automatically. i swear, i don't think to myself "now would be a good time" i just push the buttons and i think to myself "woah, why'd i do that" but since it usually hits, or doesn't leave me in a spot to be punished, i'm ok with it. btw, this happens once or twice a match, if that xP

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'll be sure to make a list of "For Dummies" terms tomorrow lol
I would highly recommend NOT calling it that. That is a little degrading for new people.

If you do thanks, I don't get many of the abbreviations, especially RAR.
Reverse Aerial Rush

I tried the backthrow side B and it Never worked for me. I must have tried it at hundreds of different percentages. =(
I don't know who told you to do that, but it won't ever work.

Does anyone have tips to improve my smash boosting, I'm doing as the first page says, but I can't do it at a moment's notice, I can't pull it off unless trying multiple times.
Practice.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
i just came back from a tournament...and i placed ninth, i was playing wolf obviously. (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=134210) i was under the name shuz. I got knocked out of the winners bracket by Dr. Mario kart playing a metaknight and out of the losers by D4BA who used a falco. i noticed that my forward smash's lag was my downfall. so right now im motivated to come up with different strategies. such as different approaches for different spacing. i also need to utilized fair 0lag more.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I get off the boost upsmash with tap jump off every time (give or take), but when I tried it with tap jump on I just ended up doing hyphen usmashes

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
>.> Really....?

Well, when I mess up a boost smash I usually do a dashing grab instead, so that's not my problem. I don't even see how turning off tap jump helps prevent that.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I boost smash using attack instead of grab, so that explains some of it.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
jab does indeed do damage faster than shine, but you have to consider that you're invincible for a bit before shine, should that count? nothing can happen to you. litterally, you can dodge any attack: final smashes, grabs, whatever, so should it count?

and i believe, (i haven't done testing but from my experiance) that sidestepping and shining come out equally fast, but obviously sidestepping keeps you invincible ALOT longer.

and grabbing and shining are used in two completely different scenerios IMO, why would they even need to be compared?

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I come back from a break from the wolf boards and I find a bunch of new ****** topics and posts. Seriously though, whats going on with the wolf boards lol.

§witch

Smash Lord
I gave up on Wolf for like 3 weeks, and the only thing I missed was semi-scarring...plus 4 reflector threads and 5 wolf flash threads.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
We on the Kirby forums would disagree with your even matchup. We would say the match would go in our favor.

Our fthrow uair combos, which you don't go into much detail with, can easily deal 51% damage to Wolf.

Kirby and Wolf have even aerials, perhaps, but Kirby is much more maneuverable, and also has the hammer. If your lasers become too much of a problem, we can steal your power and counter them with our own.

Because Wolf's upB is easily gimpable, Wolf is vulnerable to being shot underneath the stage from Kirby's neutral B, and then hit with an aerial before he can recover.

Ryoto

Smash Rookie
Anyone can easily deal 51% to any character. If you mean kirby's semi-chain thing, it's escapeable. No kirby gets me from 0 - 51% in a single string of attacks.

Wolf out ranges kirby in the air and on the ground, he has his blaster which forces the approach - and although wolf's recovery can be gimpable, smart players avoid being gimped.

And kirby DOES NOT have even aerials with wolf. Not ever. I'm sure you want kirby to be great, but you have to realize his limitations.

Most of what you listed as to why this matchup is in kirby's favor is situational.

AiB is down so I'm posting here. O_O Hey people.

dcbandicoot

Smash Rookie
I just can't buy Wolf 4:6 TL. Even the TL forums have it 5:5 and consider Wolf a pain to play against; Wolf's ground game is ages better than TL's (range, priority), his aerial game is even because of the BAir (though the rarely used UAir is a horrid, horrid idea and the DAir might be hindered, which is not a problem because killing TL is fairly easy considering TL's weight), his projectile game comes with a deflector where TL will have issues with the blaster and just generally Wolf doesn't get into situations where TL can use his best moves effectively (USmash, UAir, DAir, FSmash).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
In my honest opinion I believe that Kirby MIGHT... >.> might... have a slight upper hand on Wolf, but only because of his easily gimpable recovery. However, that doesn't stop characters like Olimar.

If any Wolf is ever dealt 51% from that lame *** chain grab, that Wolf is a dumb ***. I played a very good Kirby player at AzOneTwoStep... actually, two. JLB and Timotee (or Bacon). Both very good. I got owned against JLB the first couple times, but once I understood how to fight Kirby it wasn't very much of an issue. There was even two matches where I got swallowed, taken to the bottom, and died while Kirby lived and I still took the match to one stock high percent. It's not that hard.

~Switch

Smash Rookie
Kirby's aerials are awesome, I don't know what you're talking about, Ryoto. All he has to do is bair you after your mid-air jump off the stage and your screwed. Also, the under-cide, all his aerials have mad priority, I'm not saying it's impossible, just not an easy match.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hey I figured out how to get a double jump recovery (second jump recovery, DJR, SJR).

I don't think it goes infinite though. It seems to have to do with your position relative to the ground... and it's either move dependent or I haven't got the timing for other moves.

Anyway, I don't have vids, so it's pointless to tell you where to do it (I guess... it's like, slightly below half the height of Sandbag). You double jump, do an fair at the same time, and as soon as that's done, you'll be at the same height, where you can double jump again, into any aerial of course.

However the height you get from this jump is... somehow less than a normal double jump. I think it has to do with the lack of the DJ animation when you DJR (you know the wave that appears where you jump, except for Ness and Lucas?)
EDIT: This would be why you can't infinite it. Another fair will lag on the ground before you finish. You might be able to do it with uair or bair... I don't have the timing, if it's possible. Nair is also a good followup if they shielded or spot-dodged, btw. You get nair's landing lag, little as it is.

It combos well into a uair at mid percents, but I see it as a way of spacing after the fair - a hit or miss.

I just wanted to point this out, since last I heard of the ISJR for Wolf, no one knew if it worked for him, or if it would even help (with his 0-lag aerials anyway).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yes, that would be a good method if you wanted full forward momentum, but what if you wanted to do a retreating Fair? That is extremely hard with the method you've described. You have a window of about 3 frames to input all your commands.

Deception

Smash Ace
Maybe you should use the control stick for jumping and the c-stick for attacking? I use a similar method for canceling Ganondorf's dair, so it might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom