• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The friendly dinosaur, all alone. Yoshi character discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
On the topic of Birdo,a baby never came out of those eggs,and the ones colored like a pink yoshi egg only make items,he can also make eggs at will,kinda like chickens that makes useless eggs,so those eggs are most likely excrements,and if you think throwing your excrement out of your mouth is unnatural or stupid,you should refer to birdo's egg as some sort of "vomit".Owls can't digest hair and bones,so after digesting,they vomit it.

And I want the Baby Bros.,if that doesn't cause black holes for them to fight Mario and Luigi.
There should never have been a topic on birdo since he is not a yoshi character.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That's true, I mean how can you not like this?

Oh, and I know what's happening between birdo and yoshi!
He ain't messing with no broke Yoshi's.:awesome:

:phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If you think Science has creatures like Birdo in it, I can see why you think that
I don't think you get it. >_> But whatever, your logic, not mine.

Anyways, moving forward, the only character I want from SMB is Shy Guy, but generally I don't care what SMB chara. gets in 'cause who we have now is just fine- Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If we ever get another Yoshi rep, in this order is who I'd see making it to the roster:

1: Kamek
2: Baby Bros.
3: Baby Bowser
4: Shy Guy
5: Poochy

jigglover

Smash Lord
If we ever get another Yoshi rep, in this order is who I'd see making it to the roster:

1: Kamek
2: Baby Bros.
3: Baby Bowser
4: Shy Guy
5: Poochy

That's funny, that's the order that they are in the OP (apart from the fact the BB and SG are swapped), guess I did the right order then!

genhutalla

Smash Rookie
I really love sweet looking dinosaurs like Barney and this Yoshi. They make games look very friendly and very enjoyable that even kids would love to watch and play.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I know Shy Guys appear as the generic baddie in Yoshi's Island games, but it's obvious that they would still be considered Mario characters. After all, they did first appear in a MARIO game, and continue to appear in both MARIO spin-offs and some MARIO mainstream games regularly. I feel like people just throw them into the Yoshi's series because they think the series doesn't have enough, and so they're grabbing straws and pick Shy Guy because "he appears in lots of Yoshi games." No... he's a Mario character.

Anyway, I think that if we did get another Yoshi character, it'd obviously be Kamek. THe Baby Mario Bros. I see as maybe a "character-specific Assist trophy", and Assist trophy that only certain characters can unlock. Yoshi's would be Baby Mario. How this would affect his gameplay? No idea, maybe someone else has one.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know Shy Guys appear as the generic baddie in Yoshi's Island games, but it's obvious that they would still be considered Mario characters. After all, they did first appear in a MARIO game, and continue to appear in both MARIO spin-offs and some MARIO mainstream games regularly. I feel like people just throw them into the Yoshi's series because they think the series doesn't have enough, and so they're grabbing straws and pick Shy Guy because "he appears in lots of Yoshi games." No... he's a Mario character.

Anyway, I think that if we did get another Yoshi character, it'd obviously be Kamek. THe Baby Mario Bros. I see as maybe a "character-specific Assist trophy", and Assist trophy that only certain characters can unlock. Yoshi's would be Baby Mario. How this would affect his gameplay? No idea, maybe someone else has one.
That reminds me of someone... Yo.. Yoshi... Yoshi!

I don't even know what mainstream game they were in in the MARIO series, I thought it went from Doki Doki Panic to ONE mario game and then Yoshi games from there. The only spin-off I've ever played with him in is Mario Party 9! He is generally considered a Yoshi character anyways...

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
That reminds me of someone... Yo.. Yoshi... Yoshi!

I don't even know what mainstream game they were in in the MARIO series, I thought it went from Doki Doki Panic to ONE mario game and then Yoshi games from there. The only spin-off I've ever played with him in is Mario Party 9! He is generally considered a Yoshi character anyways...
Super Mario Bros. 2 (their debut game) IS Doki Doki Panic, but with Mario characters. Shy Guys first appeared in that, and so they first appeared in a Mario game, not a Yoshi game (not a Yoshi game). They have appeared in Every Mario RPG game (Super Mario RPG, all Paper Mario's, all Mario and Luigi's), they appear in most Mario spin-off games (baseball, strikers, tennis, kart, party, sports mix, etc.) and the other random minor games like Mario Pinball Land. It's true that they have appeared in Yoshi's games, but they've appeared in MORE Mario games, and Mario games are more well-known, popular, and numerous. I think that if you went around showing people a picture of Shy Guy and asking what game series he is from, most would for sure say Mario.

But it hardly matters.... we most likely won't be seeing any new Yoshi characters.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Super Mario Bros. 2 (their debut game) IS Doki Doki Panic, but with Mario characters. Shy Guys first appeared in that, and so they first appeared in a Mario game, not a Yoshi game (not a Yoshi game). They have appeared in Every Mario RPG game (Super Mario RPG, all Paper Mario's, all Mario and Luigi's), they appear in most Mario spin-off games (baseball, strikers, tennis, kart, party, sports mix, etc.) and the other random minor games like Mario Pinball Land. It's true that they have appeared in Yoshi's games, but they've appeared in MORE Mario games, and Mario games are more well-known, popular, and numerous. I think that if you went around showing people a picture of Shy Guy and asking what game series he is from, most would for sure say Mario.

But it hardly matters.... we most likely won't be seeing any new Yoshi characters.
Yoshi and Kamek both face this problem. I did forget about mario kart 7, but only counting main-stream games he has been in more Yoshi games, and that is only fair since the yoshi series doesn't have any spin-offs.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Yoshi and Kamek both face this problem. I did forget about mario kart 7, but only counting main-stream games he has been in more Yoshi games, and that is only fair since the yoshi series doesn't have any spin-offs.
Why would you "only count main-stream" games? That's like cheating. I'm not talking about only playable appearances. You have to take EVERY appearance into account. Someone who sees a character in multiple games of a franchise will start to associate that character with that series, regardless of said character's playable appearances. The fact of the matter is, Shy Guy not only appeared in a Mario game first, but he appears in more Mario games than Yoshi games.

Also, Magikoopas did first appear in Mario, but KAMEK first appeared in the Yoshi series, justifying him.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Why would you "only count main-stream" games? That's like cheating. I'm not talking about only playable appearances. You have to take EVERY appearance into account. Someone who sees a character in multiple games of a franchise will start to associate that character with that series, regardless of said character's playable appearances. The fact of the matter is, Shy Guy not only appeared in a Mario game first, but he appears in more Mario games than Yoshi games.

Also, Magikoopas did first appear in Mario, but KAMEK first appeared in the Yoshi series, justifying him.
Not counting spin-offs, Mario still has more games than the Yoshi series, the Yoshi series doesn't have spin-offs, besides, I win either way since on average, counting the spin-off games in Mario, Shy guy is still in Yoshi more, and I'm guessing Sakurai does do games on Average for predicaments such as this, otherwise it would be entirely biased and the only Yoshi character in existence would be Yoshi, and by your logic he wouldn't even be one!

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Not counting spin-offs, Mario still has more games than the Yoshi series, the Yoshi series doesn't have spin-offs, besides, I win either way since on average, counting the spin-off games in Mario, Shy guy is still in Yoshi more, and I'm guessing Sakurai does do games on Average for predicaments such as this, otherwise it would be entirely biased and the only Yoshi character in existence would be Yoshi, and by your logic he wouldn't even be one!
How is Shy Guy still in Yoshi more counting Mario's own spin-off games? Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and any other Mario spin-off is from MARIO, not Yoshi. People don't look at Mario Party and say "Oh, look, a Yoshi game!" Therefore, Shy Guy is in Mario games more, and people will most likely associate him with Mario games. Seriously, go out and show random people a picture of Shy Guy and ask him what series it's from, see what they say (9 times out of 10, they'll say Mario).

Sakurai has already acknowledged that Shy Guys debuted in Mario, too (the Shy Guy trophies).

Here is why Yoshi is (and most likely always will be) the only Yoshi character in existence: Yoshi has had enough games of his own to warrant him his own series. He is also the main character of most of these games, and the character you play as. Therefore, it makes sense that he has his own series, and you can't even compare him to Shy Guy, who is a generic baddie that has debuted and appeared in more Mario games. The same has happened to Wario (debuted in Mario, formed a spin-off and formed his own series). But Unlike Shy Guy, Yoshi and Wario are the main characters of their respective series. Sure they still appear in Mario games, but they themselves have their own series. Shy Guy does not. Again, debuted in Mario, more Mario appearances. Make sense now?

jigglover

Smash Lord
How is Shy Guy still in Yoshi more counting Mario's own spin-off games? Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and any other Mario spin-off is from MARIO, not Yoshi. People don't look at Mario Party and say "Oh, look, a Yoshi game!" Therefore, Shy Guy is in Mario games more, and people will most likely associate him with Mario games. Seriously, go out and show random people a picture of Shy Guy and ask him what series it's from, see what they say (9 times out of 10, they'll say Mario).

Sakurai has already acknowledged that Shy Guys debuted in Mario, too (the Shy Guy trophies).

Here is why Yoshi is (and most likely always will be) the only Yoshi character in existence: Yoshi has had enough games of his own to warrant him his own series. He is also the main character of most of these games, and the character you play as. Therefore, it makes sense that he has his own series, and you can't even compare him to Shy Guy, who is a generic baddie that has debuted and appeared in more Mario games. The same has happened to Wario (debuted in Mario, formed a spin-off and formed his own series). But Unlike Shy Guy, Yoshi and Wario are the main characters of their respective series. Sure they still appear in Mario games, but they themselves have their own series. Shy Guy does not. Again, debuted in Mario, more Mario appearances. Make sense now?
I take it from this you've been skimming/scanning my posts rather than reading them carefully...

I will now capitalize all important words.

ON AVERAGE Shy guy is in MORE GAMES in the YOSHI SERIES THAN IN THE MARIO. Mario has like a kazillion games, and if you look at how many of them Shy guy are in, then it's PRETTY SMALL NUMBER. The YOSHI SERIES has a lot less games, all of which (except for super mario world 2 I think) SHY GUY HAS BEEN IN. This means that SHY GUY is MORE PREDOMINENT in the YOSHI SERIES than the MARIO SERIES and is therefore a YOSHI SERIES CHARACTER. Do you understand?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I take it from this you've been skimming/scanning my posts rather than reading them carefully...
Nope.

ON AVERAGE Shy guy is in MORE GAMES in the YOSHI SERIES THAN IN THE MARIO. Mario has like a kazillion games, and if you look at how many of them Shy guy are in, then it's PRETTY SMALL NUMBER. The YOSHI SERIES has a lot less games, all of which (except for super mario world 2 I think) SHY GUY HAS BEEN IN. This means that SHY GUY is MORE PREDOMINENT in the YOSHI SERIES than the MARIO SERIES and is therefore a YOSHI SERIES CHARACTER. Do you understand?
I understand what you're trying to say, but it's illogical. It really doesn't matter if a character appears in more games of one series "ON AVERAGE" if the character also appears in MORE games within the series that it APPEARED FIRST in. Why does being in more Yoshi games "ON AVERAGE" even matter? When did Sakurai say that? You literally just made that up...

Shy Guy is predominantly a Mario character, considering the fact that it appeared first in the Mario series, and continues to appear in more Mario games than Yoshi games. There are more Mario games. People are more familiar with Mario games. Mario games are more popular. If Shy Guy appears in more Mario games, and more people play/are aware of/like Mario games than Yoshi games, it's a given that Shy Guy is viewed as a Mario character rather than a Yoshi character by most people familiar with him. Understand?

It doesn't even matter. The Yoshi series has next to no chances of getting a new character due to the fact that most viable characters from that series are simply not popular or well-known enough, or they are better known for their Mario appearances (like Shy Guy).

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Woah woah woah.

If you showed someone a picture of Yoshi, they'd say it's a Mario Character too. Not a "Yoshi" character/series. That argument isn't really that helpful.

Even though Shy Guy IS in the spin-offs he has more of a role in the Yoshi games. I don't remember them in Sunshine... I remember Yoshi though. I only remember them in spin-offs. As well as Yoshi games, of course. Along with other Doki Doki panic characters that made it through as a "Mario" character.

Of course Shy Guy has little to slim chance, but if he made it in there's no way it would be under the "Mario" category.

Shy Guys are synonymous with the Yoshi franchise. There's not really any arguing that. They're practically the "Goomba" of the series as far as I recall.

all I did was search up "Yoshi Enemies" on google images:
[COLLAPSE="Expand"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I don't know, but I see a lot of Shy Guys. As far as I know, they're MIA from the Mario platformers.

I'm not arguing for his inclusion at all. But there's no discounting that he would be a Yoshi rep IF he got in.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know! This is so true! I'm glad someone else exists on this forum, it's been me and Spydr debating on all kinds of things for about an hour! I included that Shy guy is the Yoshi series' goomba in the OP as well! I mean, how is he NOT!

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Woah woah woah.

If you showed someone a picture of Yoshi, they'd say it's a Mario Character too. Not a "Yoshi" character/series. That argument isn't really that helpful.
This is exactly why Yoshi won't be getting any new characters anyway.

Shy Guy was in Super Mario Bros. 2, which is also basically the game he debuted in, so...

No one denying that Shy Guy is the Yoshi series Goomba, but... so? What good does that do him when he APPEARED FIRST in a MARIO game, as well as appearing in MORE MARIO games than Yoshi games? Yes, you could say the same for Yoshi, but Yoshi is actually the main character of his own series. People only say that Shy Guy is from the Yoshi series because they're grabbing straws, desperately searching for more characters that represent the Yoshi series. But don't worry, you guys will understand someday.

This debate is pretty pointless anyway. There is an extremely slim chance we will see any new Yoshi characters.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly why Yoshi won't be getting any new characters anyway.

People only say that Shy Guy is from the Yoshi series because they're grabbing straws, desperately searching for more characters that represent the Yoshi series. But don't worry, you guys will understand someday.

This debate is pretty pointless anyway. There is an extremely slim chance we will see any new Yoshi characters.
No. People say Shy Guy is from the Yoshi series because that's the only series that he's relevant in. They're not grasping for straws.

IF and I am agreeing it is a very tiny if, Sakurai looked at Shy Guy as a potential newcomer, he would not say "Oh but Shy Guys WERE a Super Mario Bros. USA character first, and they've been in quite a lot of mario party/kart/sports games.."

Frankly, any character that's relevant in the Yoshi series that doesn't even show up in Mario platformers (except for one or two) is up for grabs. Especially if the YOSHI series gives them multiple varieties of abilities unseen in other games.

But it's fine. It's extremely and overwhelmingly reasonable to think Shy Guy won't get in, no one is trying to say otherwise. But to discount Shy Guy as not a Yoshi character is silly.

But don't worry, you guys will understand someday.
:laugh: I adore remarks like this.

EDIT:

Alright. How about a truce? Shy Guys ARE Mario characters. Just as Yoshi and Donkey Kong are.

However they're more relevant to the Yoshi series, and are rarely used in Mario games outside of Spin-Offs. But they debuted in Doki Doki Panic, which was brought to the U.S. as SMB2. People also consider Yoshi a Mario character.

Shy guy has an extremely tiny chance at being playable.

Frankly these are all facts, and I think we could leave it at this.

D

Deleted member

As much as Shy Guy is notable in the Yoshi series, I feel I have to point out that the trophy for one is in the Mario section.
So Spyder kind of has a point here.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
black mage has appeared in 3 mario spin-off games so the MUST be a mario character (sarcasm)

i can't even the last time I have seen shy guy in a main stream mario game (and in super mario baseball for wii, the are in the same catagory with the yoshi characters). But I sure do remeber them in yoshi story, (there's like 4 versions of them in that game, calling them the goomba of the yoshi series is an understatement).

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The Black Mage exemple looks bad,I don't know all the Games he is in,but I think he appeared in more FFs.

And it just can't work because that's a CROSSOVER,it's like using Ice Climbers as examples because they are in two Smashes and one Ice Climbers,but that doesn't work because it's a crossover.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
black mage has appeared in 3 mario spin-off games so the MUST be a mario character (sarcasm)
Black Mage didn't appear in Mario before Final Fantasy, and he also does not appear in more Mario games than Final Fantasy games. :rolleyes:

Flawed logic.

No. People say Shy Guy is from the Yoshi series because that's the only series that he's relevant in. They're not grasping for straws.
I'd say appearing first in a certain series is rather relevant. Besides, there are many people who wouldn't even consider the Yoshi's Island series as "Yoshi's own series," but rather as a Mario spin-off series. You really can't debate that it is either though...

IF and I am agreeing it is a very tiny if, Sakurai looked at Shy Guy as a potential newcomer, he would not say "Oh but Shy Guys WERE a Super Mario Bros. USA character first, and they've been in quite a lot of mario party/kart/sports games.."
No, but he wouldn't look at them and say "Oh, Shy Guys appear ON AVERAGE in Yoshi's Island games more, so he's a Yoshi character," either.

Frankly, any character that's relevant in the Yoshi series that doesn't even show up in Mario platformers (except for one or two) is up for grabs. Especially if the YOSHI series gives them multiple varieties of abilities unseen in other games.
I don't understand why you think Mario platformers are the only Mario games worth counting. A Mario game is a Mario game, and when it comes to recognition, character appearing and debuting in one series more often than another series would make it more associated with the first series. It's just common sense.

:laugh: I adore remarks like this.
Me too, that's why I posted it. :laugh:

As much as Shy Guy is notable in the Yoshi series, I feel I have to point out that the trophy for one is in the Mario section.
So Spyder kind of has a point here.
Thanks, I didn't even realize that!

Welp, I guess... I guess that kind of settles it. Since, of course, Sakurai IS the one who develops the games.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Black Mage didn't appear in Mario before Final Fantasy, and he also does not appear in more Mario games than Final Fantasy games. :rolleyes:

Flawed logic.

I'd say appearing first in a certain series is rather relevant. Besides, there are many people who wouldn't even consider the Yoshi's Island series as "Yoshi's own series," but rather as a Mario spin-off series. You really can't debate that it is either though...

No, but he wouldn't look at them and say "Oh, Shy Guys appear ON AVERAGE in Yoshi's Island games more, so he's a Yoshi character," either.

I don't understand why you think Mario platformers are the only Mario games worth counting. A Mario game is a Mario game, and when it comes to recognition, character appearing and debuting in one series more often than another series would make it more associated with the first series. It's just common sense.

Me too, that's why I posted it. :laugh:

Thanks, I didn't even realize that!

Welp, I guess... I guess that kind of settles it. Since, of course, Sakurai IS the one who develops the games.
please, he has appeared in more yoshi games then kamek, who is the main villain. Not to mention that a shy guy has appeared in every yoshi game box art except SMW2:YI

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
please, he has appeared in more yoshi games then kamek, who is the main villain. Not to mention that a shy guy has appeared in every yoshi game box art except SMW2:YI
He's also appeared in more Mario games than Yoshi games.

And yes, box art is what gets characters into Smash...

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
But DK has his own series while shy guy doesn't so it's not really a fair comparison.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
did we mention that dk has appeared in more mario games then donkey kong games
Read the post above me. Donkey Kong actually first appeared in a game called Donkey Kong (if you want to get technical, it was actually Donkey Kong Jr.). Since the, he has become the main character of his own franchise, which consists of multiple series (Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Konga, several other stand-alone DK games).

Is Shy Guy the star of his own series? Nope. Once again, flawed logic.

D

Deleted member

Actually, on technicality, unless Nintendo wants to retcon some continuity, DK is neither the classic DK (who is Cranky) nor DKJr. (as Jr. would be Cranky's son, and DK is his grandson.)

Or logical excuse: Cranky is so senile he thinks his own son is his grandson, and only thinks correctly about DK being his son in DK64. :troll: Well, the fact Rare made a statement to request that people forget instances that stated he was DK's grandfather, and that they intended on DK being grown-up DKJr. makes this the logical choice.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Read the post above me. Donkey Kong actually first appeared in a game called Donkey Kong (if you want to get technical, it was actually Donkey Kong Jr.). Since the, he has become the main character of his own franchise, which consists of multiple series (Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Konga, several other stand-alone DK games).

Is Shy Guy the star of his own series? Nope. Once again, flawed logic.
..! Wait a second! Mario first appeared in Donkey Kong. Does that mean that Mario is in fact a spin-off series of the Donkey Kong series? If he is, then he still appears in lots more donkey kong games because the spin off games would in fact be in the donkey kong series! :awesome:

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
..! Wait a second! Mario first appeared in Donkey Kong. Does that mean that Mario is in fact a spin-off series of the Donkey Kong series? If he is, then he still appears in lots more donkey kong games because the spin off games would in fact be in the donkey kong series! :awesome:
Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up eventually. It's safe to say "Donkey Kong" was neither a Donkey Kong game or a Mario game considering it starred both characters but Mario (actually called Jumpman at the time) was the playable protagonist. From there, both characters took off into their own series, but it is because of this game that Donkey Kong has forever been associated with Mario.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up eventually. It's safe to say "Donkey Kong" was neither a Donkey Kong game or a Mario game considering it starred both characters but Mario (actually called Jumpman at the time) was the playable protagonist. From there, both characters took off into their own series, but it is because of this game that Donkey Kong has forever been associated with Mario.
That's one of the first things you've said that makes sense, but it then goes back on all of your nonsense earlier. Donkey Kong is in the NAME of the game! It must be his!

genhutalla

Smash Rookie
I like Yoshi better than Poochy, since I don't know him/her. I just like Yoshi cialis tablets because he's one of my favorite characters in SmashBros. Egging your opponent really gives you a couple of good hits

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
That's one of the first things you've said that makes sense, but it then goes back on all of your nonsense earlier. Donkey Kong is in the NAME of the game! It must be his!
Wait... you're actually serious about this??

Remember, it wasn't technically Mario, it was "Jumpman," and he was the main playable character and protagonist of the game. Donkey Kong was the name of the game, but it could probably go either way. Plus, compare the Mario franchise to the Yoshi and Donkey Kong franchise... oh, that's right, you can't. From the game "Donkey Kong" (which, again, starred BOTH characters), Mario took off on his own, instantly becoming popular and creating a massive franchise. Donkey Kong got his own series, like Donkey Kong Country, but still remained associated with the Mario series, and Yoshi's Island directly spun-off from Mario. It's different, because you really can't compare Mario with Donkey Kong and Yoshi. The difference is just to huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom