• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
what the hell are curu and higher assissin?

what do you mean he should have more info on defensive and speedy characters? this is the learning curve, it's not that character specific. he only mentions characters to provide examples of what people are generally doing around a given level.

and if you see yourself past level 5, does that mean you think you're better than isai?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Curu-someone who has true control over his\her character or... anything for that matter
Higher Assissin-i meant assassin

sorry,i mean speedy and defensive players,i know he was makin a example
and tell me about this 'isai'

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
fixed. well just look around, there are like a billion threads with isai (malva00) videos. there should be some if you even just scroll down the thread list in this room. he just put out a new fox combo video that's disgusting, but the glare makes it hard to see at some points.

Thino

Smash Master
guess I can be ranked as a lvl 3 part 3 cuz I dashdance a lot (instinctely?) w/ Falcon , shorthop w/ Ness , Pika n Kirby (My shorthop w/ is somewut not perfect) and I REALLY LOVE edgeguarding , this my passion ! edgehoggin on the occasion but I prefer to knock the opponent farther and farther !!! but I still grab a lot to start my combos or within my A combos even though I developed some aerial combos w/ Pika n Falcon without grabing. I will be considered lvl 4 when I master shorthop , dashdance shouldnt be a problem , grabing less I guess.
btw Pika's Nair rawks while edgeguarding, just knock opponent who have offensive 3rd jump (Falcon , samus, fox...) during their second jump
Ness' PK thunder is awesome in edgeguarding too cuz it stuns for about a second before they're able to 3rd jump , or during their 3rd for some
ah..one last thing , as a good edgeguard , I love to meteorsmash

slow like

Smash Cadet
it's weird, because it seems like i'm at a level 4 standard, but whenever i watch videos of most pros, i feel like i'm terrible.
i just really wish i were better at putting combos together; i can never keep them going for more than five hits tops. it seems like this is a good thread to ask for advice.
does anyone have any tips or videos of combos for a link player?

Last

Smash Rookie
Last week I was at 3.1 Thought I was greatest smasher alive... Then I try this game online.. and was like.. ZOMG WTF ._.; So now that a week has passed i'm at 3.2 trying to get to 4. Practicing Everything all at once, z cancling, short hop, and comboing as fast as I can.

Buttt annyy ways, reason I posted was to let you know you forgot to add DI (Directional Influence) into your post. I'm trying to do it right now because its inportant.. but I'm trying to do everything so you know ._. put it where it should go. I'm guessing 4 or 5.1?

does anyone have any tips or videos of combos for a link player?
Link for that guy that last posted. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbK8ilHTCnA

rokimomi

Smash Lord
HEHE, 5.2 here.

This post was one of the first i viewed as a noob and the most changing to my smash ability. I never realized it until I realized I was stuck at the one stage.

Mekanos

Smash Cadet
First of all, very nice list, much effort you put in there.

But, I think there should be a part or two after 5.2 tho. Or maybe just add things to the list, like you suggested. Things like: learn from your opponent-> the way how he/she plays, playing style, and try to make counters out of it; hit-and-run tactics-> hitting your opponent and avoiding right after; frame perfect play-> perfect timing (z-cancels), so you won't get hit by your opponent.

These are some points I think should be added. I obviously learned these things from isai ofcourse :cool:

Nonetheless, amazing job done.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Isai could be maybe a 7-8: Insane mastery of all characters/attacks/combos/frame perfect Z-cancels/several 0-KO combos per match/almost unbeatable.

I wonder if Isai likes SSB or Melee more.........I personally think the inescapable combos/ridiculous grabs in SSB are kinda cheap and most Melee combos can be escaped with good DI.

This is a funny little guide and I'd say I'm about a 5.1 with certain chars.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Perfection with z canceling is not something that takes skill. Not putting anyone down but its just way easier than melee cuz theres no limit on the times you can press it. Its kinda like 64 smash's c-stick. Id call perfection with all aspects of the game with no mess ups throughout battle to battle an "isai" lvl, though i dont know if he messes up. Only a couple times. Never seen all the vids.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I think "Isai Level" consists more on mindgames than muscle memory, which is quite a feat to overcome when muscle memory is a normal part of how we play games.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Hm... how about the people who learn the advanced techs as they pick up the game due to a friend teaching them/finding them online?

I'd say most online players are at the mid 3's to early 5's.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
BUMP, this topic is too good to let die.

I would say I am somewhere between a 4 and a 5.1, although I haven't played human opponents enough for my skill.

And I have two comments to make about it. You list Smash Up A as a level 4 advanced technique, but I learned it with the other smashes at level 2. Smashing isn't hard, it's more of using them at the right time as to enhance their effects and minimize their weaknesses. For example, you wouldn't down smash in response to someone coming from above. And for some characters (IE, Fox, Kirby), you would either respond with a tilt up a, or a very well timed up smash, where as others (such as Mario, Yoshi), you could worry less about timing.

My second concern is more trivial. Phaze isn't a word. Phase is. You seem to use them interchangeably, although only phase is useable. (Not to be taken seriously).

_kSo_

Smash Master
BUMP, this topic is too good to let die.

I would say I am somewhere between a 4 and a 5.1, although I haven't played human opponents enough for my skill.

And I have two comments to make about it. You list Smash Up A as a level 4 advanced technique, but I learned it with the other smashes at level 2. Smashing isn't hard, it's more of using them at the right time as to enhance their effects and minimize their weaknesses. For example, you wouldn't down smash in response to someone coming from above. And for some characters (IE, Fox, Kirby), you would either respond with a tilt up a, or a very well timed up smash, where as others (such as Mario, Yoshi), you could worry less about timing.

My second concern is more trivial. Phaze isn't a word. Phase is. You seem to use them interchangeably, although only phase is useable. (Not to be taken seriously).
Too good to die indeed....

also phaze is cooler to read than phase lol

Ima Smash level 5.1! gangsta...

I just recently started using a lot more tap A in my combos. It works wonders!

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
Excellent guide

I'd have to say I'm about a level 5 part 1.Because I know alot of strategys and combos with fox,pikachu,Link,DK and I know how to
wavedash,dashdance,shine,shorthop,DI,chaingrab.Those techniques I just listed,I use them effectively.And I can beat just about everyone in my town except metroid,Just telling the facts is all.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Hate to break the news, but there's no wavedash in 64 snash. Im not just saying that to be naggy but In reality, I think there might be few improvements in the guide to make it a melee learning curve guide because of the Massive DI in melee. With that, there pretty much is no lvl 5.2 except in some exceptions. Like melee, there are quite a few characters whose combos are 3-5max hits. And If Im not mistaken, Everyone in 64 has at least one zero to death combo (love that phrase) and that makes a big difference.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Show me a real Samus 0%-to-death then. Without items or anything really situational like brinstar lava combo or arwings and stuff.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Show me a real Samus 0%-to-death then. Without items or anything really situational like brinstar lava combo or arwings and stuff.
Even if the other player tries to DI into her moves it's still not possible to 0%-death properly :colorful:

The wonders of Samus.

Top Bottom